Anyone interested?

Comments

• edited 10:17AM
    Playing or running?

Either way, yes.
  • RusRus
    edited 10:17AM
    Cool.
    Did you want to set it in Near or come up with our own setting?
    I'm new to Play by Posts, so this will be a learning experience for me.
    I'm willing to try either running or playing. I'm leaning more toward running, my only hesitation comes from having never done this before. If I ran it I don't think I'd want to use the Near setting.
    I'm interested in playing. I'm cool with default setting or a custom one. I own the book but have yet to try it.
    I like Near! I think if I ran it, I'd use Near, but I might waffle if it was another setting.

Everyone owns the book, since it's free (that just means everyone should play!)
  • RusRus
    eek, i just lost a huge post. :(
    Fortunately it was all about not using the Near setting-- so it can get trashed anyhow.
    Using Near would sure make it easier.

I think three participants is plenty enough to get started.
    Assuming you'd GM, What part of Near would you want to set the game George?
    Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm really excited about watching this game! TSoY is one of those great games I've never gotten to play.
    I dunno, I've always liked Zaru, they always seem like they have the most reason to 'do stuff'.

I've been wanting to do a fantasy pirates campaign for a long time, so there's that. How about others?
  • RusRus
    George

I'm thinking if you want to just provide a quick one-sheet that encompasses the setting and theme of what you want (ala Sorcerer). I'll then make a character with some keys (that should imply a kicker).

I'm hoping we can finish three scene types for each character: Disruption of Status Quo, Narrowing the Conflict, and Final Conflict resolution.

Any formatting preferences? I sort of like the idea of using movie script format.
    We can break down play into Scenes I, II and III.

Again, I'm new to PbP so if my ideas on structure and content seem a bit over reaching let me know and I'll chill.
    * I would like to play, too. I've never played TSoY, but I own the book and I've read it. I've never played by post, either.
  • RusRus
    Hi Chris, and welcome.
    Looks like we have three players and one GM, that's enough to really get started.
    George, maybe post a one-sheet introduction in the Out-of-Character category. Or we can kick around ideas more here if people want to give you more input. I'm willing to take whatever you offer up and run with it.
    I'd like to play if there's room. I have played Shadow of Yesterday.
  • edited August 2007
    rugrsi... I'm honestly not sure what you mean by certain scene types. Sorry. In the games I've run, people post as in-character prose, keeping OOC stuff differentiated. I'm not really a hardcore theory kind of guy, but I do really like the difference between conflict resolution and task resolution, and that's mainly what I focus on - the difference is especially noticeable on the internet, where it's easy to misunderstand people's words.

I know redgrog from elsewhere, and I think four is still okay for me. I'll try to write something up and get it posted.
  • RusRus
    edited August 2007
    Hi redgrog, Welcome!

George,
    Don't worry about scene types and such. I trust the TSoY mechanic to do its thing.

Lets do fantasy pirates. I'm thinking of an old grizzled, salty, sea dog - scarred, miserable and seeking some sort of redemption.

rus
    Argh, sorry, I lost a post, retyped it, then realized I forgot to say that fantasy pirates might end up being too hefty of a campaign. I might stick with a one-shot. I hope that's okay. If it works out, I'll definitely try fantasy pirates.
  • RusRus
    Ah, ok. I though we were doing pirates in Near.
    I'm open to anything.
    rus
    In that case, let's vote. Among the four that posted interest, with me as GM, chose from:

Fantasy pirates, cruising around the known coast for treasure and the reasons you chose to seek treasure (long campaign)
    Urban assassins, doing sneaky, bloody stuff in a Khale/Ammeni border town ready to pop (one-shot)
    What if we did a fantasy pirates one-shot introducing the pirates, combining elements of your two ideas? Maybe the pirate ship is in port. Some characters are pirates on shore leave and/or assassinating a rival pirate or sheriff? Some characters could be townies who sneak aboard the pirate ship or are shanghaied? :)

George: How long is a play-by-post "one-shot"? If you would rather save your fantasy pirate ideas for a longer campaign, rather than "use them up" in our PbP one-shot, I completely understand.
  • RusRus
    edited August 2007
    I vote Urban Assassins (one-shot).
    rus
    I'd prefer the assassins game. I don’t think that shiver me timber type pirates fit in the Near setting, but you could certainly be a pirate in that you’re a murderous bandit who specializes in ships.
    I'm hoping that the urban assassins game goes until the town DOES pop. I guess it might go a month or two. Depends on how fast people want to see stuff done. What I might do would be get the characters, see what they want to accomplish, then look for ending conditions, and suggest them accordingly. How's that?

The pirates thing would be a little more adventurous / archetypical. It would be like Pirates of Dark Water, if you've ever seen it, with almost episodic content of treasure-finding and ship-raiding. Because of that, I wanted to keep them separate. I hope that's okay.

Wait, I mean, IT'S MY GAME, DON'T ARGUE!

:)
  • RusRus
    edited August 2007
    George,
    I'll try to get my Character to you by Saturday. I may try to brew up my own Keys and Secrets which should give you a general idea of the theme and where I want to go with the character.

I'd say we're about ready to start an Out of Character thread and give this one-shot a name.
    rus
    I'll start a new thread with a description either tonight or tomorrow, if Chris or orklord don't post objections to the currently winning urban assassins thingie.
    Urban assassins sounds good to me. I look forward to seeing your scenario description. I'll start sketching a character, too.
    PbP newbie question: How do we share our character sheets (and keep them up to date)? Do we keep them in the OOC thread and edit our character sheet post as our character change?
    That works for me! Good spot to keep track of XP, too.
    I can go with the group. So, are the urban assassins part of an organization?
    You can be, if you want. Like I said, I'll try to push people together, but I would rather let people focus on the aspects of the situation they want, so that I can write i the details that support it.

The theme is kind of like two sides pointing guns at each other, and the only way to get things done, short of starting a war, is stuff like assassination (physical and political), spying, et cetera.