[Blackbrush Meadows - DitV] Accomplishment - Rockwell

RusRus
edited June 2009 in In-Game
I’m going to take much of what you’ve offered and incorporate that into the framing of the scene.

Let’s reduce the accomplishment to: “I hope I show my superior understanding of the Book of Life to Sis. Miriam.”

Who knows, maybe your character will prove even a greater understanding of the scripture than Sis.Miriam. Let’s put it to the dice and find out.

You, Ezra and Miriam have been fasting for several days. It is a bleak, cold, early winter evening. The first snow storms of the season are still weeks or days away. The red rocks of the valley glow a sickly orange-yellow, as the sun sets behind gray clouds. You are all out walking, far from Bridal Falls. Each of you knows it will be dark before you get back.

As Sis. Miriam turns around, guiding your return to Bridal Falls she stops, opens her dry and delicate copy of the Book of Life and reads: "They have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind."

A gust of sand and wind, mixed with leaves ushers past your feet.

“I feel a terrible winter approaching, my brothers. What wind have we sown?” she asks. She looks sad, as though carrying a heavy guilt.

Comments

• Oppositional Dice
    #DiceRoller( 4d6 )
    #DiceRoller( 4d10 )
  • edited June 2009
    Awesome scene setting!

Nice use of the picture too.

I'm not entirely sure what I should do now though. I think I am rolling the relevant dice, but what are they?

We're talking, so Acuity and Heart = 6d6, I am pretty comfortable with that.

Do I roll dice for Relationships too?

So is the relationship 'God's Watchdogs' (2d8) valid because status or authority with that institution is at stake?

I will roll the Stats dice for now

Edit: greened
  • Porter's Acuity and Heart

#DiceRoller( 6d6 )
  • I think it is fine if you go first. Take two of your dice and push them forward as a Raise, then state what your character does. Describe something I can’t ignore (I in this case represents the opposition; the forces working against you proving yourself superior).

It is a bit unclear if you should roll those Relationship dice.
    The rules state, “You roll the dice listed under your character’s Relationships . . . when your relation is your character’s opponent or when your relation is at stake.”

You are trying to prove your superiority over Ezra—so in a sense he is your opponent and is one of God’s Watchdog (at least in training). Though your real opponent is Miriam’s esteem of you. I’ll trust your judgment on this, as I can see it go either way. Normally everyone at the table evaluates it, but in this PbP format, I think everyone gets some wiggle room. As long as you think through the choice to bring in dice and how it relates to the fiction, rather than just grabbing dice to grab dice, I’m cool with it.

Think that Miriam really doubts your scriptural understanding, is probably asking this hoping Ezra, the star of the class, will reflect and offer opinion, and you’re just there because someone told you to tag along. Make a raise that proves that wrong.
  • I'm assuming that a Relationship with God's Watchdogs is a relationship with an institution, see p40. I could very well be wrong of course!

I think this quote from http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=16174.msg172313#msg172313 gets at what I'm thinking.

Vincent said, regarding relationships with institutions" said: The book says that you get to roll the dice a) when your opponent is someone of authority in the institution, or b) when what's at stake is your status with regard to the institution.

"Someone of authority" really means "someone with stewardship," of course. So you don't get the dice when you're in conflict with a fellow Dog, only when you're in conflict with someone with stewardship over the Dogs. The Stewards at the Dogs' Temple or the Prophets and Ancients, say.
    So, if Miriam has stewardship over Porter then I use the dice. I'm guessing - don't know, would like advice - she doesn't?

Raise (4,5)

Bro. Porter looks back and forth between Miriam and Ezra.

'The whirlwind will depend on the sowing. For does not the Book also say "for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."
    Who will suffer the winter's terrors? Only those who have sown sin and vanity.'

Porter raises his own dog-eared copy of the Book, and looks hard at MIriam. "Is that not so, Sister?"

Is that ignoreable?
    Also, does Porter get dice for using his copy of the Book? If so do I roll now?
  • RusRus
    edited June 2009
    That looks right then. Roll that 2d8.

SEE (5,4)
    Ezra puts a comforting hand on Miriam's shoulder. "What Br.Rockwell says is true."
    RAISE (7,8) "But what he doesn't understand is that the scripture only applies to the heathen; to those whom The King of Life has not accepted into his arms. You, Sis. Miriam, are one of us: an elder of the faith and our steward; one of the King of Life's chosen. Clearly this scripture does not apply to you, you need not feel guilty-- as you are above that law. You cannot reap what the King of Life would never let you sow."

Ezra gives you a scornful look, urging you to drop the matter.

I don't have the rules handy, but I think you can bring in the dice of the book, just as long as you include the book's impact on the conflict immediately after.
  • Yeah, I definitely see the book dice applying in this situation. This is good stuff! Keep it up! I'm going to see how you guys resolve this before I start mine up. :)
  • edited June 2009
    @P1nback, thanks :) My feeling is you should go ahead and start your initiation conflict rocking. The best way to learn is to do, and all that.
    Plus, keep the comments coming on this thread, I really appreciate it.

@Rugrsi, is your SEE (5,9) a typo? I don't think you have a 9 showing, but I imagine you meant 5+4=9.
  • Porter's Relationship with the Dogs
    #DiceRoller( 2d8 )
  • edited June 2009
    A Raise of 15, ouch

So, mechanically, my options now include:
    - Give
    - Take The Blow: with say 7,3,3,1,1 getting 5d4 Fallout, leaving me one lone '5'
    - Bring in another Trait or Thing to give me better dice
    - Escalate to Physical bringing my 5d6 Body - I can I do that for a See, correct?
  • Yes, that was a typo! I was thinking a total of 9. My brain got ahead of my fingers!
    You could also roll for the Book.
  • Porter's Book of Life

#DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • edited June 2009
    Edited previous couple of posts for green-ness

OK, so I'm going to Take the Blow (and the 5d4 Fallout)

SEE (7,3,3,1,1)
    Porter pages frantically through his Book, fingers frantic but careful.
    "Right, yes, I can see you are right. This page got folded over last night when I fell asleep on it."

That leaves with me with a 1 and a 5.
    Edit: typo
  • My turn to Raise, I think. I want to escalate to Physical, but not Fighting, and also I have to include Porter's personal copy of the Book.

Porter reaches out and takes Miriam's hand.

"Sister, even if that passage does not apply, it is clear there is something you wish to speak about. The Book will help! I have a passage in mind, let me look."

Still holding her hand in his, with his other hand he pages clumsily through the Book.

"I was reading it recently, it was near this smear somewhere. Here it is." Porter pauses and speaks reverently as he quotes from the Book.

"For then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot; yea, thou shalt be steadfast, and shalt not fear: Because thou shalt forget thy misery, and remember it as waters that pass away: And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning."

He looks into Miriam's eyes and squeezes her hand gently. "Have hope in the King, Sister. What is troubling you?"

OK to roll Body (5d6) for Escalation to Physical?
  • I think you can escalate to Physical just by doing anything physical. I.e. taking her hand, flipping a coin, grabbing someone, pushing past someone, etc... So I'd say squeezing her hand definitely calls for a roll of Body. That was an intense Raise. Nice.
  • Porter's Body

#DiceRoller( 5d6 )
  • RAISE (4, 5) (based on above text)
  • RusRus
    edited June 2009
    SEE (1,5,3) taking the blow
    Your words impact Miriam’s soul. You see her hazel eyes looking at you with amazement, shock and a new found respect. Yet she is weak from the fasting, she suddenly grows unstable and disoriented. She turns to walk away from you. Overwhelmed, forgetting her hand is in yours, she twists and falls upon the stony path.
    And then she weeps.

I GIVE.

Nice raise Karl. I think that is a perfect place to end it.. and I can see my lone 6 won’t stand up to your dice, even though you’d have to take the blow.

If this had been a normal conflict the choice to escalate increases the risk of lasting, harm to the target. (1d6 vs 1d4 fallout dice)That is why I describe taking the blow potentially causing some type of physical harm (her falling down).

Since you won, go ahead and describe how things play out.
  • Porter's Fallout

#DiceRoller( 5d4 )
  • Thanks! I'm enjoying this immensely.

Bro. Porter and Bro. Ezra helped Sis. Miriam limp back to the Temple. It was well past sunset when they got there, and very few words were exchanged before they hugged each other good night.

For Fallout, I get 7, so I think I will take an item from the short-term list: a 1d4 Trait (for the next conflict) "I know the Book 1d4".

As my Initiation Trait, how about "The Book guides my hand 1d6".
    That's not very satisfying really. Anyone got anything better?

Additionally, taking a leaf from P1nback, I rolled a 1 in the Fallout, so I get an item of Experience Fallout.
    Which I will use for adding one dice to Heart (now 4d6). Sound ok?

Comments? Suggestions?
  • edited June 2009
    Man, I really dug this conflict. Good job to both of you. :) I actually like "The Book guides my hand" as a Trait.
  • I like something like "Learn from the Book, Speak from the Heart." or "The book guides, but the heart speaks." or "The book teaches the heart, the heart teaches the tongue" or "The true book is written on the heart."

Something about speaking from the heart, because that's what seems to be the turning point of the scene.
  • The book guides and the heart speaks, I like that