[Webwinding] Chult OOC

edited August 2009 in Out-Of-Game
Here's the OOC thread for Dave's Webwinding Chult playtest.

Comments

• Posted By: RichNow that the Chultans are liberated, my only other goals are to remove the Lich King (I was gonna wait for Moro to do it, but that hasn't worked out) and get the conflict rolling between Amn and Baldur's Gate. Otherwise build the prosperity and relationships of Chultan, Fort N, and Baldur's Gate. Now that the Goblins have faced the other side of the coin and found out it sucks (like the Chultans found out), there may be some great sympathy between the two for their shared experience (and fear of the iron masked demon of the north).
    Makes sense to me. I didn't know about Wam's earlier torture or your Chultan goal. Now that I know, it makes a lot more sense. I was all after the Chultans because I thought they were lich-worshipers. I like how our combined actions turned out; they were in league with the lich, they got enslaved, and now they're free again, but not under the hold of the Lich-King.
  • Yeah, I definitely think having some group goals in the first place for this game would've helped, even if the numbers sort of started people on opposite sides of things.

That's probably a good lesson for the next series of table rp, too (the level 11-20). Maybe in addition to each person picking a couple micro-level adventures from the map, we should also pick a couple goals for our characters that the other players know, so we can all work toward some common themes, too.
  • Posted By: ClintonI didn't know about Wam's earlier torture or your Chultan goal. Now that I know, it makes a lot more sense.
    Yeah, in our first two or three levels in the dungeon we got enslaved a lot. The kobolds made Arty beg for his life and worship their dragon idol and he apparently hasn't forgiven them. Note to other evil races of the underdark: don't enslave Arty or it'll just come back to haunt you; better to kill him while you have the chance.
  • Posted By: Rich
    Yeah, in our first two or three levels in the dungeon we got enslaved a lot. The kobolds made Arty beg for his life and worship their dragon idol and he apparently hasn't forgiven them. Note to other evil races of the underdark: don't enslave Arty or it'll just come back to haunt you; better to kill him while you have the chance.
    I ought to have killed him when I had the chance!
  • Pulling in all the OOC stuff from the other thread so it'll all be here:
    Posted By: ClintonOk, guys, let's have a quick OOC discussion. This game turned competitive when I wasn't looking, and I'm not sure how to proceed. It's assumed in D&D that we're all on the same side. It doesn't have to be that way in Webwinding, but it will make for an uncomfortable game of D&D later. We'll have to figure out why we're on the same side again.

It's a little uncomfortable outside of the D&D aspect. I didn't realize this would turn into a competitive game, and so I put a lot of effort into my Goblins vs. the Lich King story, and it's blown away in one turn, which puts me out a little. I'm not mad or anything, but am a little confused and sad about how this happened. (I understand how it happened with the rules, but not why it happened.)

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas about how to get us back on track? My narrative is pretty much busted, and I can't see a way that Moro isn't going to hate Arty later, which doesn't really work for D&D.
    Posted By: RichMmmm, okay I sorta get that. I also paired up with the Chultans in the beginning and felt like you went out of your way to keep attacking them instead of just creating a relationship between the Goblins and Lich King.

That said, I also deliberately left the Goblins in-tact (0 instead of -1; they're just staggered) so that you could reactivate that node this turn. I just needed the Chultans not to be vassals of the Goblins, and that's the only way the rules allow a severence (is to take a node to zero and declare what happens to it).

As for Wam, his roleplaying hero is Leroy Jenkins, so 'nuff said. Fortunately in a dungeon there are limitless things for Arty to hack at, but in a table setting, Wam has definitely caused chaos for the sake of chaos... more than once (including the time he got Arty turned into a chicken, the time he got captured by pirates because he thought pomp would see him through, and the time he tried to deliberately rip a hole in the space-time continuum). Fortunately it's just a game, and that keeps things interesting in the story. But perhaps the sort of interesting that should come with a warning about not getting too attached.

With all that, I was already planning to have Calen come (try) to help you out with this Lich King situation this turn. Assuming Calen don't get bedeviled by him, too. You have to admit, though, having Moro's support base ripped out and leaving him alone and face-to-face with the most ancient evil in Chult is pretty compelling character development, if not the intended one. How Arty can circle back I'm not sure, but I think we can all agree that liches charming characters is bad.
    Posted By: RichI think maybe where this game failed a little bit (or, more aptly, we failed a little bit at this game) was in characters not declaring some goals in the first place. I had talked with Dave about liberating the Chultans as a goal, but not with Clinton, so when his turn sent my goal awry it was due to lack of communication (what we were seeing here again). I think maybe we assumed the other people understood our goals from the fiction, but I don't know it's a good way to run a game is to base it on assumptions of other characters.

Further, if we'd known the goals of other characters, we could have made strategic choices to help further our own AND their goals. That's my 2¢ anyway. Well, live and learn for next game.
    Posted By: WamWell we all got started out on differnt sides, with random relationships to port N and pretty much every group on Chult has got it in for each other and we have all picked our own factions Arty/Aarakocra Calen/Chultans Moro/Batari and all those factions were already at war with each other before we got here.

The easy way back to the d&d team is that weve really all been working in unison playing everyone against each other, but the webwinding isn't done yet it all might come together in the end. Arty may have killed your Goblin Queen who likely would have eaten a tasty halfling eventually anyway so maybe he actually saved Moro. He may yet save him from the Lich King. So going back to the dungeon might not be so awkward or maybe It will be but we will figure it out.

Going back to the fiction of the characters. Arty was enslaved by kobolds and tortured by goblins in the first couple of sessions so it's perfectly rational he would lash out at them here. And even more so due to the fact the only Allies he found the Aarakocra (Everyone else hates him) have claims upon both the Kobold Mountains and the Jungle Mote. Those are things that were already in place at game start.
    Posted By: WamThat said Game on lets see where this takes us.

And for transparency that may be a little late I had originally planned on building an army and going after the Lich King but I was beaten to the punch so to speak. I now have my eyes set on an eventual conflict or something with Dendar The Night Serpent we will just have to see what the dice say.
    Posted By: Rich
    Posted By: WamEveryone else hates him
    And how. Didn't you roll a 2 on one relationship?

Well said. I think Clinton's right, though, that this is a good point to make some OOC decisions to start bringing the story back together and aligned.

Now that the Chultans are liberated, my only other goals are to remove the Lich King (I was gonna wait for Moro to do it, but that hasn't worked out) and get the conflict rolling between Amn and Baldur's Gate. Otherwise build the prosperity and relationships of Chultan, Fort N, and Baldur's Gate. Now that the Goblins have faced the other side of the coin and found out it sucks (like the Chultans found out), there may be some great sympathy between the two for their shared experience (and fear of the iron masked demon of the north).
    Posted By: Wamoh yeah Kobolds fear me. But thats what the nasty little dragon worshipers get force me to pray to thier Dragon idols whatever. (Arty still angry from level one)
  • Take that, pesky goblins!
  • I was sure Wam was going to take control of the undead army and, because they cannot dream or have nightmares, use them as the perfect soldiers against the Night Serpent. But destroying them all works, too.
  • We havent established Arty's connection to the night serpent yet it may not be negative. just saying not sure which way it's going to go. I don't think he's all bad so he's rummored to eat the sun someday but he also protects people from thier nightmares by eating them.(the Nightmares) So I put that into the misunderstood catagory
  • After looking at maps of Chult I am now totally in a civilization frame of mind and want to build trade networks between my peoples.
  • edited August 2009
    Posted By: Wammy peoples.
    No "s". Mwahahahaha!
  • Wam
    edited August 2009
    You realize I would have been distracted by city building and now I will have to go back to my ways of destruction
  • edited August 2009
    only until it occured to you to have an army of Lizardfolk corrupted by the evil of Mezro. You still would have gone back to your ways of destruction. Unfortunately (for me) that would put your scalyfolk army in the middle of my alliance, and I know you.

besides, Yuan-Ti > Lizardfolk. That's right, I said it. Booya!
  • I could have had the lich kings army if I had wanted. I got rid of the evil of Mezro holy city to your chultans created by Ubatoa himself. Yeah so I was going to wipe out forts N and B eventually so my new city would prosper, but now I will have to kill every Yuan Ti on site in the dungeon no quitely sneaking by or talking to them. You know me but you forgot that part.
  • And you know Dave is going to set up that situation.
  • Posted By: WamI could have had the lich kings army if I had wanted. I got rid of the evil of Mezro holy city to your chultans created by Ubatoa himself. Yeah so I was going to wipe out forts N and B eventually so my new city would prosper, but now I will have to kill every Yuan Ti on site in the dungeon no quitely sneaking by or talking to them. You know me but you forgot that part.
    Why resist? Join us. Give in to your temptations and join the serpent side. Yessssss...
  • edited August 2009
    Paragon Tier Feats now have summaries on the wiki, if you're starting your ascent to 11th level there. You get 2 (one for 10th and one for 11th level).

Don't forget to pick your new equipment (I picked mine based on this game). Rules for the equipment reboot here.
  • Calen doesn't really want to become a mindless lich-slave zombie, if anybody else is still playing and could do something about that.
  • I figured that would be handled in D&D and the first battle would be against the Yuan-ti to get you freed and re-armed
  • edited August 2009
    it was a general poking to see if anyone is still playing, but I agree with your thought. Especially since we've never really fought Yuan-Ti, and that should make you happy as a DM. Hehehehe.
  • It will make me happy, filthy snakes going down
  • By the Blood of IO!