[Change] Sun-eating orcs want an empire

edited September 2009 in Pitch
Hi! This is a playtest of a Change - it's a faction-based worldbuilding game I'm working on. You can find the current playtest version of Change here:

http://changegame.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/change-released/

If you're the lazy type, here's a summary: you create a group by thinking up six traits for it, then you face challenges and get or lose traits based on those Challenges, and at the end of the game, you have a very different group from the one you started with.

I can't quite playtest Change live due to language issues in my home country, so I'm planning to do a lot of it online. This particular thread is a riff off a mechanics playtest I did for Lance's Mageblade game (yeah, I'm totally trying to lure you in by this, Lance!), where we had stuff about orcish empires, eating the sun, and girlfriends... I've mixed that around in my head, and the result was something with orcich riders that are a cross between stereotypical paladins and equally stereotypical mongolian horse-archers - leather-clad arrow-totting wolf-riders who worship the light of the sun (who is an actual person another person will eventually have to eat to gain her powers) and are as honourable as they are cruel.

Here's my group-sheet:

"The Sun-eaters"

DefiningRegularPeripheral
1.Sun-goddess++Martial prowess+
2.Honour++Tame wolves0
3.Cannibals--Tribal-

If you want to play, just think up two super-good, one super-bad, one good, one neutral, and one poor traits you want your group to have, and post them here. Restrictions to what you should put here are lax: something fantasy-ish (clockwork robots are okay, interstellar travel not so much), and something that would oppose the orc's desire to forge a world-spanning empire, 'cause that is totally what I want play to be about. Otherwise - just as long as you think it's cool. Don't worry about making anything overpowered - you can make other living gods, or hive-mind fireflies that cast magic by drawing runes in the air, or anything. You don't even need to care about keeping the same theme too much, as a common theme is a thing that is definitelly going to emerge through play without much conscious effort.

And there you go!

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Okay, I have no idea why it does that thing with the table.

I do know the game is much easier to comprehend if a table is present, though.

Uh, how do I contact Simon C about this? I can't make heads or tails of this newfangled whisper system.

Anyway, uh, here's the code I used, if you want to try your hand at using a table too:

<table border=\"1\">
    <tr>
    <th></th>
    <th>Defining</th>
    <th>Regular</th>
    <th>Peripheral</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>1.</td>
    <td>Sun-goddess++</td>
    <td>Martial prowess+</td>
    </tr>