[SoY] A Whisper-Quiet Blade

Comments

• Any thoughts on how to get Kerrick involved in the dinner? I'm happy to work toward that but honestly am blanking on how.
  • That does seem tough, since I was thinking the river is difficult to cross. Setting up the Khalean side of thing is interesting to me, at least, so if you want to stick with the argument, that's fine with me.

Like rugrsi mentioned when we got started, Kerrick and Drenin have set up the Ammeni for other caches of moon-metal too. Kerrick could be captured in the next raid, or there might be some reason that he joins up with them when they go back.
  • My gut feeling is to trust the SOY system. I'd rather not influence the "in game" content by "out of game" methods, if that makes sense. I hope, when I said it would be cool to get Kerrick involved in Drenin's dealings, it didn't come off as a request or a demand... it was just something that came off the top of my head. In a way I was probably sub-consciously slipping in to GM mode.
  • I think we're over thinking this a bit. We should be more focused on playing the game, not how to play the game. How everything fits together is George's job. I've played with him before and I know he's very talented. We can certainly give him suggestions and let him know what we'd like to do with our characters, but we've been making a lot more posts in this thread than the actual game. Drenin and Helina can work out their plan in character. We can go back and forth a bit and hash out the details.
  • I'll try to post a Drenin Reply today or tomorrow in the "in-game" thread.
  • Awesome, looks good to me!

I really do like more OOC chatting, it's always really helpful in a game like Shadow of Yesterday, where everyone can plan how the scenes turn out. So don't stop chatting on my account, but like redgrog said, if you've got more OOC than IC, I think we ought to push it the other way.

Rich, still with us? I'd feel bad continuing, and letting other people's scenes lag.
  • I'm still here. I'll have a post out tommorrow.
  • Hey, Rich - Kerrik is probably earning some XP for the stuff he's doing. Trying to help the tribe, going to battle to keep his wife where he can help her... etc. Do you agree? I was totaling up XP and didn't want to leave you behind. :)
  • Yeah that's what I was thinking. :) I just wasn't sure if I should get it now or after the actual battle which is why I had not brought it up.
  • I dunno, marching off to try and kill someone because you're worried about your wife seems pretty important, but it depends on the consequences... if you lose and end up getting captured or something, it's worth 2 XP, at least.
  • Well reading this over:

Key of Love [one advancement]
    Your character has a deep love, whether friendly, erotic, or familial, for someone else. Gain 1 XP every time this character is present in a scene with your character. Gain 2 XP whenever your character has to make a decision that is influenced by them. Gain 5 XP every time your character puts herself in harm’s way or makes a sacrifice for them. Buyoff: Sever the relationship with this person.

I would say I get 2XP for deciding to march off to battle and 5XP if the battle causes me harm like being captured. Sound right? Maybe 1XP for key of the tribe for raising morale and more if the battle actually goes well. How's that?
  • I think that sounds good. I hesitate a bit about the 5, but if you ARE captured, it seems like it's totally worth 5 XP. Is that what you mean?
  • The friend's hosting I use has been hacked YET AGAIN, so if you need to look something up, let me know.

Ugh.
  • Clinton (the game's author) has set up a wiki for the game, which includes all the game and setting information, organized nicely. I probably won't bother putting mine back up.
  • This might be a better place to discuss Vesh. If the failed Deceit roll is accepted, I think he could be suspicious, but simply on the lookout, and mistrust Drenin even more. The Khalean assassin has a better chance of being found, but then, so does Helina.

Do people want him as an antagonist? He could be (since I STILL am not exactly sure how to connect this with Kerrik) be the one who is sending soldiers out for moon-metal - and not realizing Drenin is the one getting that info back to the Ammeni side.
  • … so, with one or two players falling out, is there a spot open? I could take on Vesh as a PC, for instance…
  • Hmm! That would be interesting. I hesitate a bit to have an obviously antagonistic PC, but I guess it's up to the others. If they already have things in mind in Vesh, it ought to come first. Four is a good number, I think, I'd have no prob with it.

(I hesitate because while in person, it's obvious you're playing a part, but over the internet, there isn't that "Hey, it's cool that I'm being a dick in this particular way, right?" vibe.)
  • Another player sounds cool to me.
  • I'm not married to Vesh, I can easily come up with a new character.
  • Sounds cool to me too.
  • The more the merrier. Vesh sounds OK to me.
  • In that case, it's up to oliof!
  • I'll reread the Threads over the weekend and will post an idea (either Vesh or something else) on sunday if you're OK with that. George, if you need Vesh before that time, that's OK as well.

I begin to like this once-a-day-pace…
  • Nah, Vesh will be talking with guards and looking about. Sunday or Monday is fine. Let us know if you need help statting anything.
  • oliof: I'm not sure if you're married to an idea yet, but it would be nice to have someone paired up with Kerrik. I feel dumb not being able to bring everyone together. (Suggestions on how to do so are very welcome. :) Up to you, of course, though.

So Kerrik is leading a bunch of warriors against another bunch of warriors, but I'm not sure how to handle it. I think this would be a good time to consider intentions - do you want to beat them all, regardless of losses, or do you want to keep everyone alive? How important are your tribesmen?

I figure there are five of you, and four (left) of them. You (as a PC) have two bonus dice to use. The most basic rule I can see is you leading a stealthy charge, rolling Stealth with your dice, then contested Spear-fighting with dice from that versus the leader of the Ammeni. If you lose, everyone loses, and you (and maybe others) are taken prisoner. Your intention here is lead by example, I guess, in taking out the Ammeni.

If we go more detailed, everyone tries a Stealth roll, then squares off. Your intention here is to take down your opponent, and we can see where the battle goes from there.
  • Ever play Pirates? Once your ship boards another the fight is won based on you defeating the enemy captain, but the longer it takes you the more wounded your crew is.

So let's go with the Stealth followed by Spear-fighting and the more successful I am the less wounded my warrior's are when it is all said and done. And the reverse of course, the more the Ammeni leader beats my ass dictates how badly broken my warriors were before being killed or retreating.

Sounds good.
  • Here are some ideas on how to handle the situation.

TSOY and mass combat

Commanding a group
  • You know, having the rulebook on the CRNGames wiki is so useful.

Ok so one of these skills

Battle (Reason)
    Battle is the basic skills and tactics known by any military commander. It is used for giving orders in combat and planning attacks, including ambushes.

Guerilla Warfare (Instinct)
    Unlike Battle, which is standard military tactics knowledge, Guerilla Warfare is your character's knowledge of alternative tactics which give a smaller force a much greater advantage. It is used for coordinating quick and nasty attacks while hiding in the forest; using noise and trickery to appear to be a larger force, and eliminating your enemies one by one through ambushes.

Looks like it should be involved here.

I'm actually thinking along the lines of a Spear-fighting test against the enemy leader and let the dice from that affect the outcome of the overall battle using Battle or Guerilla Warfare. How does that sound?
  • Hi,
    I'm not gone. I'll post an idea later today.
  • edited November 2007
    Allrighty, I will do a Spear-fighting with the bonus dice you have, with the intention of taking down the leader, using Pool dice if necessary. If you win, margin-of-success becomes bonus dice for the Battle conflict, using Pool dice if necessary.

rugrsi - I saw those threads (I've been reading the first one, anyway), but I figured since there was only one PC involved, it was somewhat simpler. I have always kind of wondered what a big battle would look like in SoY, though. Army versus army kind of thing, with the PCs as commanders or commandos.

edit: Sorry, meant Guerrilla Warfare. Much cooler.

Also, you have a bonus die for the second roll regardless, since you have one extra guy.