pre-game scene requests

edited October 2010 in Out-Of-Game
OK, let's use this thread to ask another player to MC a scene from our past. Very briefly note what's going on and if there are any other PCs in the scene.

I'm not sure how to assure that they'll be mini-scenes, but I think it would be best if that's how it worked out. And I'm not sure if someone will volunteer to MC the scene you ask for, so maybe ask for a couple? And if you do volunteer to MC a scene, let's just say that your own PC won't appear in it as more than an extra. Does this seem like a reasonable way to try this?

As a reference: Uncle Lars, Gritch, Navarre/Fido, Spector, Marlene

Comments

• I can think of a couple interesting scenes from Navarre's backstory as already established - something involving him and Dog Head, the scene where he came (almost literally) crawling to Uncle Lars. Or, less fraught, I could see a scene with Gritch being very interesting.

I'm also willing to MC a scene for other players.
  • I'd like a scene from 10-20 years ago when two groups of people sought out Spector to adjudicate a dispute. It should help establish history and probably produce neighbor-people who both like and dislike the outcome.

I'd also like a scene with Gritch where someone comes to us looking for help regarding lost soul trouble of some kind.
  • The rules Chris sets out above work, but something else to consider:

Should we be rolling for moves at all? If so, obviously we shouldn't count experience, and harm will be assumed to have healed by the time we get to the real game. Right? Or should we make these things actually matter? If we're not rolling for moves, should we just say what we do and go from there?

To keep them mini-scenes, maybe each scene should be focused on one explicit conflict or instance, and once that's over, even if there are others that might flow from it, the mini-scene should be over. So going into it, knowing what the explicit conflict or scene is going to be will be important.

So, how about a scene from 10-20 years ago for Spector in which, heh, a mother and a father bring their possessed child to Spector for his judgment? Mother thinks its an abomination, wants to drown it. Father thinks that they should keep the child anyway, but holds out hope Spector can cure the kid. Yeah?

As for scenes I'd request, I'd be up for either of the two for Gritch that were described above. Something with Navarre having a psychic consultation with Gritch, maybe, or something with Spector and Gritch dealing with a ghost problem at some point. I might also request a scene with Gritch and one (or more) of Mimi's girls, or a scene between Gritch and Marlene's creepy daughter. Perhaps that first time on the boat, or something.
  • I think rolling for moves is good, because I like the spur to creativity. But I think it's also fair to not count experience (and possibly to use lower stats, at the player's option) and to assume that harm will be healed.

Someone want to propose and frame the first scene?
  • Alright, well, cwilbur, because you and I are on pause for the moment, and because I totally love the momentum we've had going so far, do you want to do a pre-scene? I'd be up for MCing a scene with Dog Head and Navarre, unless you want to MC a scene for Gritch.
  • I'd love to play Navarre against Dog Head, so if you'd care to frame it....
  • edited October 2010
    Saint Erebus: you have any ideas for a Gritch flashback scene you'd like to see?
  • Hmmm.

Options that I can think of right now:

(1) Gritch enters/joins up with the Chateau.
    (2) Gritch on the road (could be really anything, at that point, although I do explicitly have that one flashback of when I killed the possessed kid)
    (3) Gritch discovering his weirdness
    (4) Gritch, post-entering the Chateau, having an encounter with Wise

I'm also totally open for any suggestions.
  • This is compiled from what I saw above, coupled with what I remembered and what I added. Feel free to amend.

List of current flashback scene requests:

Spector:
    - A scene from 10-20 years ago when two groups of people sought out Spector to adjudicate a dispute. It should help establish history and probably produce neighbor-people who both like and dislike the outcome. (Brendan suggestion: "So, how about a scene from 10-20 years ago for Spector in which, heh, a mother and a father bring their possessed child to Spector for his judgment? Mother thinks its an abomination, wants to drown it. Father thinks that they should keep the child anyway, but holds out hope Spector can cure the kid.")
    - A scene with Gritch and Spector where someone comes to them looking for help regarding lost soul trouble of some kind.

Gritch:
    - Gritch enters/joins up with the Chateau.
    - Gritch, post-entering the Chateau, having an encounter with Wise
    - Gritch and one of Mimi's girls

Navarre:
    - Navarre having a psychic consultation with Gritch

Uncle:
    - A scene with Navarre about Navarre's arrival in the Chateau
    - A scene about Uncle's relationship with his family while his wife was still alive

Marlene:
    - On the water, something horrible attacks from below
    - A scene with Gritch and Marlene's daughter related to the daughter's weirdness

Anyone interested in pursuing any of these, either as MC or as player?
  • I'm discovering all kinds of new threads today. I don't think I know things quite well enough to MC, but I'd enjoy playing either of Marlene's scenes. I think historical battles might be fun as well (although I have to wonder about how well they'd go with Hard-1,) such as the escape from Baby Duck's compound, fighting off his gang after arriving at the Chateau, or an assault on Dog Head with some Rough Riders.
  • I'd be up for another Navarre flashback or for MCing another flashback. I'll sleep on it and see if I have any brilliant ideas while unconscious.
  • Hmmmm. An assault could be interesting, and could involve at least Marlene, Navarre, and Uncle with no problem, if all parties were willing to be involved. I think my main hesitation there would be figuring out how to add some stakes to make it more than just a fight, because we know how the fight would have to come out. So there has to be something else that matters in the fight. I'd be up for MCing that, if Charlton and Max were interested, but I'd like to figure out that extra stake first.
  • I'm interested.

Chris, how do you feel about that child-possession scene? I'd MC that one, if you're game.
  • Sure. I really created this thread when we had no MC for a few days and I didn't want us to lose momentum, so I haven't been champing at the bit to push for any of it, but I'm certainly game.
  • Well, I'm itching for more of this game, and while I perfectly understand that other people have other responsibilities and whatnot, I am impatient and CRAVE MORE. MORE!

So. Wanna wing it for one of those scenes? An assault on Mine? But maybe, how about this. This is an assault with a specific goal. Cripple Dog Head's own naval capabilities. So any way to do that. And that might actually theoretically include luring away the boatmen of Mine as much as it might involve blowing up the boats, thereby changing the definition of "assault". Hell, perhaps that's how it all starts out, with a discussion of terms for them to defect, and then it turns into an ambush. Or something. Yeah?
  • Actually, I had an idea for a scene, that I'll kick off. It may involve Gritch, but it's targeted at Spector.