[AW] To Collect Custom Moves

edited October 2010 in Out-Of-Game
This will be our repository for custom moves in the game. Also, feel free to suggest custom moves here or modifications/additions to moves I post. I'll keep this first posted updated with all the moves.

The first time you gaze into the albino White's eyes, roll+weird.
On a 10+, your brain protects you and you see into White's soul. Treat it as though you'd rolled a 10+ to read her. On a 7-9, you're overcome with the urge to protect White when you're in her presence: if you do it, mark experience; if you don't you're acting under fire from brain-weirdness. On a miss, you're overcome with lust and take -1 ongoing to any attempt to seduce someone other than White until you prove you don't really love her.

When you open your brain to the psychic maelstrom aboard the Nimitz, but not in the control tower, you also subject yourself to unusual exposure to the psychic maelstrom and suffer Y-harm.

When an NPC suffers Y-harm, the MC creates her as a threat if necessary, and then chooses any or all:
• She aggressively pursues her threat impulse. Make moves on her behalf as hard and as direct as you can.
• Her sanity shatters. She is incoherent, raving, raging or unresponsive, alive but gone.
• She abruptly changes threat type.

For players’ characters, when you suffer Y-harm, roll+Y-harm suffered (typically, roll+1). On a 10+, the MC can choose 1:
• You’re out of action: unconscious, trapped, incoherent or panicked.
• You’re out of your own control. You come to yourself again a few seconds later, having done I-don’t-know-what.
• Choose 2 from the 7–9 list below.

On a 7–9, the MC can choose 1:
• You lose your footing.
• You lose your grip on whatever you’re holding.
• You lose track of someone or something you’re attending to.
• You miss noticing something important.
• You take a single concrete action of the MC’s choosing.

On a miss, you keep it together and overcome the Y-harm with no effect.

Comments

• Hmmm. This works, I think, but I would point out a couple things. It's nicely easy at the moment, but I thought it would be neat to have destroying the spookies mechanically differentiated from putting them into a totem. Is there some way to include that in the choices, or to say that doing one gives you more choices than the other? I don't want to unnecessarily complicate things, but I think it adds more flavor if there are two different moves.

The other thing I would say to consider is using the psi-harm move from the Quarantine playbook. I'm not sure if this makes total sense, but if they're spookies attacking our brains, it might be a prime opportunity for it, instead of just straight up harm.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, the way the move works as-is, you have the choice to either destroy the spook outright when you score a hit during the exorcism, or choose to simply release/capture it. So, the effects of destroying/capturing are simply a matter of taste and flavor. Either way, the spook is expelled from the possessed person/creature/thing.

So, if Gritch exorcises a spook from Uncle, he can simply destroy it on a hit. If Spector is exorcising the same spook, he can release it or capture it.

Yah know?
  • Yeah, I got that part. And like I said, that's nicely simple and easy, makes it less annoying and fiddly, but it means that we're doing the same exact thing as far as mechanics go.

Maybe this is not a good example to bring up, but I felt like maybe a difference in the two exorcism styles like the difference between Go Aggro and Seize by Force would help the flavorful differences. After all, Spector, as far as I understand what Chris wants, seems to manipulate the spookies, coaxing them out, drawing them out, and then trapping them, while Gritch just bashes them into nothingness with psychic muscles.

For instance, I could imagine Gritch's move being akin to Seize by Force in that he's going to destroy the spooky, outright, no question, but he's also going to take harm for it. On the other hand, Spector might "threaten" the spooky, with it's options being to suck up the hit (and be destroyed) or to go into the totem. This is really adhering to the Go Aggro/Seize by Force model, but I feel that it would help capture a flavorful difference between the two.

I'm not attached to this, of course, but I do think that as the moves of this game are excellent at inherently connoting flavor and differentiation, making us use different moves for exorcism would be neat.
  • Oh, I like that psi-harm! That works very well indeed!
  • So, you're saying it should be more like:

When you try to seize a spook out of a possessed, roll+weird instead of roll+hard. On a hit... etc...

And.

When you try to go aggro on a spook to get it out of a possessed, roll+weird instead of roll+hard. On a hit.. etc...

?
  • Maybe the distinction is not go aggro/seize by force, but seize by force/seduce or manipulate?
  • edited October 2010
    I think that move is fine. The thing is, it might be followed immediately by: When you attempt to bind a soul to an object,... or When you destroy a spook. Depending on the things you pick in your first move.
  • I'm being purposefully vague and wishy-washy here, because I'm not sure I'm attached to it enough to really push for this distinction. I do like the move you set up at the top, also, to be clear. I was using the Seize by Force and Go Aggro examples primarily just to demonstrate flavorful differences, to say that they both have the potential of doing harm, but they cover different ways of doing harm, and different risks. I thought the same principles could be applied to the exorcism move(s), so that there were different moves for exorcising in different ways, with different risks. One which is all about tearing open the possessed party's head, and ripping out the spooky, and rending it apart. The other which is all about coaxing it out while causing as little damage as possible.

So your base move, I would see as being closer to what Spector does, in that it minimizes harm when it's most successful. I would see Gritch's move maybe being better at definitively getting rid of the spooky...like, maybe even if he fails, the spooky is always gone...but the penalties are that much more severe.

These are all just ideas, though. Again, I'm not sure I'm all that attached to any of it.
  • I could see Chris's idea, too, that it's followed immediately by two differentiating custom moves. That works for me.
  • edited October 2010
    Something like when you attempt to bind a soul to an object, roll+memento where memento equals:
    . -2 if the object has no connection to the soul's life and is crappy, cheap, decaying, etc
    . -1 if the object has no connection to the soul's life
    . 0 if the object has no connection to the soul's life but is nice OR if the object has a weak connection to the soul's life
    . 1 if the object has a connection to the soul's life
    . 2 if the object has connection to the soul's life and is worth some jingle
    . 3 if the object has powerful connection to the soul's life and is nice OR has connection to the soul's life and is worth at least three barter
    On a roll of 10+, the soul takes up residence in the offered object and maybe likes it. On a 7-9 the soul takes up residence but resents it and wants some better digs.
  • Ooo, I like that. Particularly because that puts an interesting emphasis on first obtaining the right object before putting the spooky into it. But what happens on a fail? Just, the spooky doesn't go into the object? You take psi-harm? I'm curious about what a fail should represent here. I kinda feel like the spooky should always wind up in the object, one way or another, but it should be something like, maybe it takes the possessed person's soul with it.
  • Any time we miss a roll, the MC can make a move as hard and direct as he likes, yeah?
  • I like the idea of a follow-up move based on whether you actually destroyed or captured the spook. This way, we can keep the exorcism move as sort of a "basic" move and then have follow-up moves based on what choices you made during the exorcism.
  • Another option is that the exorcism custom move covers kicking the spirit out and opens up the option to perform your regular moves on that spirit for a few minutes or whatever. So you could Go Aggro, Seize by Force, Seduce or whatever. That's prolly the most elegant solution but chains of custom moves are more fun, at least for a while.
  • Object Quality... Can we call it something else. Maybe "memento"?

roll+memento
  • Ah. Interesting. That's an elegant solution, Chris.

So, the exorcism only expels the spook. Then, you're confronting it, yeah?
  • When you destroy a spooky outright, roll +weird. On a roll of 10+, choose 1. On a roll of 7+ choose 3. On a fail, the MC chooses 3.

- Anyone in the area is filled with a sudden, inexplicable loathing for the exorcist.
    - Shards of the exorcised soul enter into the exorcist. Take psi-harm.
    - Other spooks in the area are angered and begin to take action.
    - The individual from whom the spook was removed gets to read the exorcist as if he or she had rolled a 10+ Deep Brain Scan, regardless of whether or not he or she has the move.
    - The possessed individual becomes unbearably, psychotically attached to the exorcist.

(That last one was a struggle for something interesting, and it's totally open for suggestions to change.)
  • Not sure if "unbearably, psychotically attached" is good. Something like "seriously attached, in either a positive or negative way" might be interesting.

Exorcists with lots of psycho stalker exes?
  • One of the reasons I searched for object/memento to add to the roll was that I'd be uncomfortable ending up with like a string of ten +Weird rolls if I had it highlighted. What would you think of making your destroy move based on Hard or something?
  • Hmmm. Attached in a positive way. I like that that's left open for interpretation, but I was trying to make each of these a somewhat unwanted thing. If the possessed individual were left attached to the exorcist in a positive way, what are you envisioning that entailing? Do you mean positive = liking the exorcist, and negative = hating the exorcist?
  • You can just leave the positive/negative up to the MC (clearly, it's going to be negative, as in Threat).

Also, I agree with Chris about it not being a roll based on weird. What if you needed a memento or something similar to fight the spook and destroy it?
  • Also, destroying a spookie is like destroying a little piece of the psychic maelstrom, right? One of the options on that list could be to take a -1 forward on your next Weird roll.
  • Destroying the spook is definitely destroying the psychic maelstrom.
  • Well, I have problems with making it attached to Hard, partly because of flavor, and partly because of purely selfish reasons. I don't quite see it being attached to Hard because I guess I see it as still being connected to an exercise of psychic muscle, which I attach to Weird, to contain the backlash of the explosion when the soul is destroyed. And then, obviously, my selfish reason is that if this is the move that I'm going to be pulling when I exorcise, well, I have a -2 Hard. That's okay, I guess, but it means that when Gritch exorcises, it almost inevitably goes very poorly for him, which to me suggests either he wouldn't do it much, or he'd have found another way. I kinda figured that at this point, he destroys spookies because it's easy enough for him to do, so he had no reason to find another way. Plus, he still thinks it's right.

Then again, I can totally see what you're saying about the issue of having a highlighted Weird. So I dunno, maybe you don't mark experience for this follow-up roll? Or maybe I should just stop being a selfish twit?
  • edited October 2010
    How about:

When you destroy a spooky outright, roll +Hx with the possessed individual. (For NPCs, this means you will roll 2d6+0.) On a roll of 10+, choose 1. On a roll of 7+ choose 3. On a fail, the MC chooses 3.

- Anyone in the area is filled with a sudden, inexplicable loathing for the exorcist.
    - The individual from whom the spook was removed gets to read the exorcist as if he or she had rolled a 10+ Deep Brain Scan, regardless of whether or not he or she has the move.
    - The possessed individual becomes attached to the exorcist, either positively or negatively, as determined by whichever player chooses this option.
    - Take -1 forward on your next Weird roll, because you've destroyed a bit of the Maelstrom.
  • No, those are valid concerns, I think. What if destroying a spookie means you UNmark experience (to a min of 0)? So if your weird is highlighted, you stay even for that, but if not, then you're not able to "tread water."
  • That's not bad, but it still gives you a big chance of failing and gathering lots of the conditions.
  • edited October 2010
    I also agree with it not being hard. I like the idea of it being something like Hx (since we're using Hx for spooks) or a memento as well.

So, I'm imagining this scenario where you try to commune with the spook, increasing your Hx potentially, exorcise it, and then destroy it.

Yah?
  • Mike, note that he wrote Hx with the person, not the spook. Though it *could* be either.
  • Yeah. Okay, so, trying desperately not to make it too damn fiddly:

When you destroy a spooky outright, roll +Hx with the possessed individual. For NPCs, you may earn temporary Hx by either successfully reading them (gaining a +1 on a hit, whether soft or hard), or by Deep Brain Scanning them (gaining a +2 on a hard hit, and a +1 on a soft hit). On a roll of 10+, choose 1. On a roll of 7+ choose 3. On a fail, the MC chooses 3.

- The possessed individual becomes attached to the exorcist, either positively or negatively, as determined by whichever player chooses this option.
    - Take -1 forward on your next Weird roll, because you've destroyed a bit of the Maelstrom.