[AW] To Collect Custom Moves

Comments

• That move is making my brain hurt just reading it. Lol. :)
  • I think that the differentiation of communing with spooks versus the possessed people can be another interesting area between Spector and Gritch. Gritch doesn't like the spooks, and doesn't want to commune with them. He goes for the possessed people, and tries to get in their head to essentially help use their psychic strength to muscle the spook out.
  • Yeah, I know it's bad. Apologies. Simplest option would probably be to do something like what Chris said, where I unmark experience, or I just don't mark experience on the second roll, but I still roll weird.
  • Thinking about the angry spooks option, if using this power entailed filling in a countdown clock thingie for when the spooks get super-pissed that might be nice.

Was this thread supposed to be for all our custom moves or just this one. :)
  • This bit of back-n-forth so fast we're cross-posting with cross-posts makes me really wish we were on Wave.
  • For all of them. I'll keep them all collected in the first post. This thread is also for discussion. So, once we finalize these two custom moves, I'll add them to the first post.
  • I had thought of a positive attachment from the point of view of the possessed, which is not necessarily a positive attachment from the point of view of the exorcist.
  • Aha! Okay, here's a simpler way to do it, maybe. Amend "Read a Person" and "Deep Brain Scan" to say "You can spend 1 hold to get +1 on 'Destroy Spooks' roll to follow, instead of asking a question."
  • edited October 2010
    What if it's really simple, like this:

Exorcism: On a hit, you expel the spook. On a 10+, choose whether to capture it, destroy it or release it back into the maelstrom. On a 7-9, it's released back into the psychic maelstrom and the MC makes it a threat all the same. On a miss, the MC gets to make hard moves, like inflicting y-harm an all that jazz.

When you destroy a spook, the spook lashes out at the possessed and they take y-harm.

When you capture a spook, the spook lashes out at you (and anyone else in the room) and you take y-harm.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm not a huge fan of simplifying it down that far. I *like* chained custom moves and think they're worth putting the work in to make right. I also like the specificity in color that less generic custom moves create.

I'm also not the only one playing, so I'm willing to not be a prick about my preferences.

But I'd favor letting it simmer with the custom move at the top and then maybe we implement custom moves along the lines of what we've been working on for the branching out options when we get them really nice.
  • Oh, alright. :)

So, we're back to:

1) Basic Exorcism move with options.
    2) If you choose to destroy, roll custom move X. 2B) If you choose to capture, roll custom move Y.
    3) If you release it back into the maelstrom, no roll.

Yah?
  • These moves are most related to Gritch and Spector, so I want you guys to be happy with them. I'm not going to be running an NPC who exorcises spooks. ;)
  • Yeah...I have no idea. I think the simplified move you propose is nice, but I always like moves that let us choose from lists, because those seem to make things more interesting. So I think I preferred your first version of the move a bit more.

I also think that Spector's follow-up is pretty much settled, it's only the Destroy follow-up that needs work. I think I like the options outlined to choose from on the list, and I like having to roll +Hx. It made sense to me that reading or Deep Brain Scanning a person before hand would help with that +Hx, too. But how about another couple options:

Take +1 on the roll if you're willing to take -1 forward on the next Weird roll.
    Take +1 on the roll if you're willing to suffer y-Harm immediately after the exorcism (assuming you aren't already).
    Take +1 on the roll if you're willing to suffer 1-harm AP loud immediately after the exorcism (in addition to what you are suffering already).

These options are only available if the roll is with an NPC.
  • edited October 2010
    Another option:

Roll+intimacy with the possessed individual. Intimacy is =
    -2 if you know nothing of the individual in question
    -1 if you know very little of the individual in question, such as his or her name.
    0 if you know a general version of who he or she is.
    +1 if you know something intimate about him or her (as from a soft success on a Deep Brain Scan)
    +2 if you know a fair amount intimate about him or her (as from a hard success on a Deep Brain Scan)

For PCs, roll+Hx, not +Intimacy.
  • edited October 2010
    I like the idea of that, but I'm having trouble connecting intimacy to murdering spooks. It seems like a better mod for the exorcism roll.

Also maybe, intimacy = -2, modified by:
    +1 if you have conversed with the subject
    +1 if you are a blood relative of the subject
    +1 if you have had sex with the subject
    +1 if you have been inside the subject's brain
    +1 if you have fought elbow to elbow with the subject

ETA: though I also liked the buying modifiers for disads idea above that -- and it fits with destroying spookies better, I think.
  • Okay, hold on, lemme try to get all this together:

When you destroy a spooky outright, roll +Hx with the possessed individual. (For NPCs, this means you will roll 2d6+0.) On a roll of 10+, choose 1. On a roll of 7+ choose 3. On a fail, the MC chooses 3.

- Anyone in the area is filled with a sudden, inexplicable loathing for the exorcist.
    - Shards of the exorcised soul enter into the exorcist. Take psi-harm.
    - Other spooks in the area are angered and begin to take action.
    - The individual from whom the spook was removed gets to read the exorcist as if he or she had rolled a 10+ Deep Brain Scan, regardless of whether or not he or she has the move.
    - The possessed individual becomes attached to the exorcist, either positively or negatively, as determined by whichever player chooses this option.
    - Take -1 forward on your next Weird roll, because you've destroyed a bit of the Maelstrom.

Take +1 on the roll if you're willing to take -1 forward on the next Weird roll.
    Take +1 on the roll if you're willing to suffer y-Harm immediately after the exorcism (assuming you aren't already).
    Take +1 on the roll if you're willing to suffer 1-harm AP loud immediately after the exorcism (in addition to what you are suffering already).
    Take +1 on the roll if you have Deep Brain Scanned the possessed individual immediately before rolling to exorcise.
  • How about this:

When you seduce your brain to read the maelstrom by aggro force:

Roll 2d6+Hx-Armor+(Weird^Hot/Sharp-Cool!+Hard)+c

On a 10+, Choose 3 of the following:
    Change a rule
    Designate a rule that can't be changed by this move
    Un-designate a rule that couldn't be changed by this move but now can
    Roll again
    Lose a turn
    On a 7-9, Choose 1, then discard it, and choose another:
    Call the MC names behind his back
    Call a PC names behind his back
    All present NPC's begin a food fight
    MULTIBALL!!!!!
    On a miss, the MC chooses one:
    You must sing "The Major General's Song"
    Your character must sing "The Major General's Song" at -1
    All players switch characters with the player to their right
    On a critical miss:
    All characters take ?-damage
    Play another game of Apocalypse World, and the first character to die in that game takes -1 here
  • You forgot opening the pie to your brain!

(Also, the best in there has gotta be "MULTIBALL!!!!!")
  • I like what you guys are doing, and Marlene will definitely want to get in on it, it's just a little hard to follow sometimes.
  • I've added the commune custom moves with some changes. Lemme know if you guys approve or want to change anything.
  • "On a 10+, you may tumble 10 feet on the grid. On a 7-9, take an attack of opportunity from the Maelstrom. On a miss, you are squished by a spontaneous Tarrasque."
  • I think the communing move sounds fine and the exorcism move sounds fine. (As a side note, because of the phrasing of the exorcism move, could I use my violation glove there?)
  • Brendan, that's exactly what I was going for. So you could use your glove.
  • Awesome.

("No, really, it's okay, just let me touch you with my really awkwardly named violation glove, and everything will be okay...yes, it's true that I may be able to implant commands into your brain if I touch you with the again awkwardly named violation glove, but...I mean...don't you trust me?")
  • Based on what Brendan was writing, I'm imagining a version of the spookie-murder like this:

When you seek to destroy a spooky, roll+void. Void is -1 modified by your selection of any or all of:
    +1 if you take -1 forward on the next Weird roll.
    +1 if you suffer y-Harm.
    +1 if you suffer 1-harm AP loud (wailing).
    +1 if your body won't heal for the next 24 hours.

On a roll of 10+, choose 1. On a roll of 7+ you choose 1 and the MC chooses one:
    - Anyone in the area is filled with a sudden, inexplicable loathing for the exorcist.
    - Shards of the exorcised soul enter into the exorcist. Take psi-harm.
    - Other spooks in the area are angered and begin to take action.
    - The individual from whom the spook was removed gets to read the exorcist as if he or she had rolled a 10+ Deep Brain Scan, regardless of whether or not he or she has the move.
    - The possessed individual becomes attached to the exorcist, either positively or negatively, as determined by whichever player chooses this option.
    - Take -1 forward on your next Weird roll, because you've destroyed a bit of the Maelstrom.

Mostly, it seems like you're mixing the exorcism and the destructive act together and I tried to weed them apart. I think the biggest change is that on a miss, the spook isn't destroyed.
  • Chris, are you going with that combination of value and life-connection so you can say that nice china dolls would work as well as a shitty object that's memorable to the person?

So, to trap Barney's soul for example, you could use the wrench Vera has or a china doll and they'd work about the same. But, say, a china doll that Barney gave to Vera would be a +3 yeah?
  • Yes, exactly. Are you cleaning up the verbiage?