[AW] Marlene's Proposition

edited November 2010 in In-Game
Marlene, you're on the barge playing with the kids. They all seem well-fed and happy now. Timmy asked you about maybe getting that gun for him soon, but he's not pestering you or anything, just keeping it in the back of your mind.

What kind of games you guys play? Where do you guys usually play? I mean, more definitely, what's the layout of the barge look like? If someone came around knocking, where would they go?
«1

Comments

  • edited November 2010
    They've got some cards, so if they just want to sit around they might play Hearts or Double Fanucci. Sometimes they do "formation drills" which is like simon says, but slightly more complicated; Marlene will give them code names and groups and assign some orders based on those until everybody gets confused and crashes into each other. On special occasions, or if somebody needs to be cheered up, they play Multiball.

    At one point, Marlene was taking some food to a Ogdenville, and when she got there, it had been raided, so they didn't have the supplies they had promised her in trade. She didn't want them to starve, so she gave them the food in exchange for a crate of superballs from the gift shop. They come in bags of 1 gross, and she keeps them carefully hidden so they can be a treat. To play, everybody gets a pair of opaque goggles and a padded ping-pong paddle or two, and Marlene tears a bag open so the balls go in all directions. Then, everybody just runs around the barge blindly whacking things until they get tired or all the balls go overboard.

    I've been puzzling over the layout for a bit. I think there's a "below" where people's rooms and the shower, etc. are. There's clearly a top deck where people can look out for things. There's some sea-level deck that things like bodies can float up too. There's a lot of storage. I'd like there to be some extra room as well, on either the living deck or the storage deck, for possible advancements (I'm hoping to maybe snag enough supplies from the hospital run to start an infirmary, and every time Marlene sees Crutch she likes the idea better.) Maybe the sea-level deck has a little bit of deck around the walled-off cargo area, there's a well-sealed crew deck below, and a lookout deck up top? I'm not sure how physically possible things are.
  • Also, she didn't forget about the gun, she'd just figured Uncle would be more forthcoming with the bullets if she brought back something good. She was hoping to ask Navarre about giving lessons as well, but she hasn't run into him yet.
  • That sounds great. I'm assuming there's like a plank that leads to the dock for people to board the barge, yeah? Where does that lead to?
  • That would be the sea-level skirt area of the cargo deck, specifically, the heavy door to the inside storage area. No sense in storing the cargo somewhere you'll need stairs or a ladder to get to it.
  • Sure. Where are you guys right now?
  • It's a nice day, so we'd be hanging out on the top deck. We traded some brickabrack for crude kites a while back, so if the wind is right, maybe we can get those in the air.
  • The kites are suspended in the air, held aloft by the lake winds. The kids are loving it, cheering each other on and shouting with excitement. "Go! Go!"

    You feel a tug on your leg. It's Sarah. She's sitting next to you, holding her teddy. She's pointing down to the plank.

    Looking down there, you see a family standing, huddled together at the dock-end of the plank. There's a man, a woman and two children.

    The man's taking off his hat, looks like an old engineer's hat and scanning the barge.

    "Helloah?"
  • Marlene walks over to the edge of the top deck to get a read on the man:

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 ) (highlighted, for an advance)

    "Howdy, stranger. What brings you to our humble abode?"
  • I guess he caught her at a disadvantage.
  • edited November 2010
    "You Marlene?"

    The man hugs his family closer. Both children are girls, ages about the same as Vera's.

    "We heard you could might'n be able to take us up river? That true?"

    The man's thin, but with strong bones. He's got a stern face. A five o'clock shadow. His lips are chapped really bad, like he hasn't had good water in a while. Or, maybe he's just not used to the weather. The woman with him has a dress on. It's layered in dirt and mud near the bottom, like it's been dragged through a mudhole and dried up.
  • "Sure is, just a matter of when, and where you want to go. If you're from around here, I'd expect you know Uncle, and I may have a bit of a job to do for him coming up tonight. If you need to go today, I'd probably need a little something to offer Uncle to distract him until we get back. If you can wait until after that's done, we can work something out a little easier. A little bit of jingle, and we can head straight to wherever you want to go. If you don't mind meanderin', you can come along as we go tradin', but either way, I've only got enough food for me an' mine."
  • The man looks down at the children and the woman. Then, he's scanning the barge.

    "We don't have much to offer. If you've got enough space on your boat, we'd keep to ourselves and won't be taking no food from you. You can count on that. We're not thieves. Just a family looking to get out of here and on down the water. And, we don't mind waiting till tonight. Can we rest on your boat until we leave? We don't wanna be left behind and the hold ain't safe for the kids."
  • "If it's all the same to you, I'd just as soon you didn't keep to yourselves. If you don't have jingle, you can cover your fare with good company. All the same, I'd like to check you for weapons before you come aboard. Assuming that's not a problem, I can show you to your cabin."
  • edited November 2010
    A big smile comes over the man's face. His teeth are remarkably nice.

    "Company, we can handle."

    He lets out of short laugh.

    "You hear that, kids? We're gonna be going soon."

    The two girls smile. The woman tries to, but she can't seem to get one out.

    "Of course. We ain't got no weapons. Go on kids, let her take a look."

    They come aboard the barge. They don't appear to have, like, luggage or anything. Although the man does have what looks like a bowling ball bag he's carrying along with him.

    "I'm Armistead. And, this here's Kylie and Penny."

    He's motioning to the girls.

    "And, my woman, Mae."

    Mae nods and timidly speaks.

    "Howdy. Nice boat you have here."

    Armistead and his family come aboard and climb up onto the deck. How you wanna search 'em?
  • Quick pat down, and Marlene will ask him to open the bag.
  • Also, something seems off about Mae. Can Marlene read her, or does her previous failed roll gub up her understanding of everyone?
  • edited November 2010
    Yikes. I totally read that as a 7 earlier. I was waiting for you to use the hold. Ha. You can totally read Mae, but Armistead's got a hold he can use on you too at some point.
  • I was waiting for you to use the hold. Should have said something while we were getting the pleasantries out of the way and Marlene was being completely honest and straightforward. Oh well. Let's see if Mae is any more transparent:

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 ) (highlighted, for 1 on top of that last advance)
  • She is.

    While you're looking at Mae, checking her out and examining the bag, Armistead wants to know, what can I do to get you not to thoroughly search the bag?
  • Don't act suspicious. Marlene didn't get any bad vibes off of him, so as long as things seem fine, she'll just want to open the top and make sure it's not packed to the gills with explosive contraband tarantulas. Marlene addresses Mae during the search: "Goin' anywhere in particular? Some place exciting?" What's Mae really feeling?
  • Great.

    Armistead's cool as a cucumber. Inside the bag there's little more than some ratty clothing and a some trinkets of little worth.

    Mae finally gets her smile to come out.

    "Yes, ma'am. We're headed up to North Haverbrook to start a new life. Armi's got a cousin that lives there. Says he can get him some work. Maybe get the kids away from all this violence."

    Despite her smile, you can sense a sort of despair and hopelessness in her voice. She reaches out to help zip up the bag when you're done looking through it and you catch a glimpse of these wicked looking scars on her wrists.
  • Is Mae telling the truth?
  • You get the sense that, yes, she is telling the truth, but she's not so sure she believes it herself. Times are tough. Doesn't seem you can really get away from violence these days.
  • That's fine, Marlene just wanted to make sure the real plan wasn't "eat the children and sink the boat, then burn North Haverbrook." Unless that's Armi's plan, and nobody knows it. She approaches the girls "What are your names?"

    If they give names, she addresses them as Cadet Name and Cadet Other Name, and says "We run a tight ship here. I expect everybody to be out of bed by mid-afternoon, and anyone not having a good time can walk the plank. Is that clear?"
  • The slightly older one, she's got freckles painted all over her cheeks and brown hair, talks.

    "I'm Kylie. This is my sister, Penny."

    They both laugh at your joke. The younger one, with blonde hair and pigtails speaks up finally.

    "I'm Penny and nobody sleeps till afternoon. It's toooo cold for that."

    Kylie's poking her nose around, scoping the place out.

    "Those your kids? What's their names?"
  • "Well, there's Ensign Sarah, Security Officer Timmy, Executive Officer Jimmy, and Special Agent Vera. You two like kites? I might be able to find an Airman around here to give you an aeronautics demonstration if you want."
  • As you introduce the kids, you notice Sarah is talking to someone. But, that someone's not there. She's talking to nothing.

    "What's a kite?"

    Penny and Kylie ask in near unison.
  • Addressing Jimmy and Timmy: "Airmen, please take the cadets up to the flight deck and deploy the bomber wing."

    Now about Sarah. Let's open up to the maelstrom using weather eye:

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 ) (highlighted for 2)
  • edited November 2010
    Double post.
  • edited November 2010
    Triple post.
Sign In or Register to comment.