[AW] Navarre Takes The Lead

edited November 2010 in In-Game
"Uncle says we're supposed to clear out the undercroft. Take prisoners if we can, kill only if we need to. You want to lead it?"

Navarre, Chat is finishing up his smoke. He tosses it on the ground and grinds the butt into the dirt with the front tip of his steel-toe boot.

"What's up, Navarre? Good to see you doing better man. I heard how you fucked those pansies in the balloon thingamajig up. That's some hard shit. Glad to have you here. My men'll be a lot more confident."

He snatches his rifle up by the barrel taking it from its leaning position against the stone wall and starts walking down, into the undercroft.

"We've set up down here. It's tight. If gunfire breaks out, won't be many places to take cover. How you wanna do this?"
«1

Comments

  • I follow him down the stairs. "How are your crew set up for armor? How many of them are there? I might be the hardest hitter, and I'm definitely armored. Might be best if i lead the way, soften them up. Where are they dug in? Where are we dug in?"

    (I-the-player don't have a good sense of the layout of the undercroft, but Navarre might. If you want me-the-player to make tactical calls, it would be nice to have a map; or if you want Navarre to make tactical calls and assume that he's skilled enough that the map adjusts to fit, either works for me.)

    I want to take a moment to read the situation when I see Chat's crew and the situation in the undercroft. #DiceRoller( 2d6+1 )
  • edited November 2010
    I'm fine with you detailing the undercroft if you want. I'm imagining a series of narrow tunnels, mixed with chambers and wider passages. Somewhere down there is the mansion's catacombs also.

    How do you want to handle it?
  • Let's detail it as we go - I'm not that interested in tactical combat, so if you're willing to grant that Navarre makes tactically sound decisions unless there's something he doesn't know or it's dramatically interesting, I'm good.

    I think out loud, before Chat can answer my questions. "We've got a lot of solid stone support walls under there, and they're excellent cover. If I were them, I'd put some kind of a sentry or loud trap at that spot where the tunnel turns, just before it widens, where the drainage pipe is. At that point we're under the east wing. Now, there's that back staircase down into all those small rooms that servants used to live in. That's probably the most defensible spot for them, since we'll have to fight room to room. And the back stairs will be a choke point - if we can take them, we have access to Fleece's rooms upstairs and we'll cut off his crew's retreat.

    "They might also be planning something in the catacombs, but I've never been down there. We should put at least one man on the entrance to cover our retreat and make sure they aren't trying anything down there. I think there's only the one way in, so it would be stupid of them to get themselves trapped there, but I don't know what they're up to."

    I turn to Chat. "That all makes sense to you? Anything you know of that would change it?"
  • Before I respond, what question do you want to ask for your read the sitch roll?
  • If we're there and it's a question I could reasonably figure out: what's my enemy's true position?
  • Also, I'm figuring there are other rooms, other possible choke points - Navarre is just hitting the highlights. This is probably going to be a nasty fight where both sides have good cover and you have to risk a lot to gain any ground.
  • The Rough Riders have 1-armor, so I'm thinking they're decked out in leathers and motorcycle jackets and whatnot. Chat's got a squad of about 7 tough looking men. That's right about the size of a small gang including you and Chat. Of course, you're worth a gang yourself. So maybe all together you're worth a medium gang when working together? That's certainly an advantage.

    Chat is nodding.

    "I didn't know you'as so tactically minded, Navarre. Sounds like a helluva better plan than I'd have thought up. And, you're right, they've set up defensive postures back in those rooms where it's tight and cramped. Any time we've tried to move up, they fire down on us. We throw some bullets back at 'em, but we're trying to conserve our ammo. Haven't seen any of them near the catacombs."

    Chat points his finger deeper into the undercroft.

    "I sent a couple'a my guys up to get a better looksy, and they saw Fleece's men setting up some barrels of fuel at the base of some of the support structures. They might have a mind to blow the place if we venture too far into there. Trap us. So, we've been hanging back here, near the stairs, waiting for orders."

    He spits onto the dirt floor.

    "So, what do you think? What should we do?"
  • Based on what Chat is telling you, you believe Fleece's men are probably set up with some fighting positions on the far side, just beneath the East Wing, near the old servant's quarters. Most of those rooms are not more than ruined walls and dirt floors. They're going to stay back far enough to ignite the fuel, hopefully causing an explosion and catch anyone trying to move through that route into Fleece's quarters under a pile of rubble.
  • "Fuck. Yeah, the gasoline. I think if that weren't on the table, we'd be able to take them in a pretty straightforward assault, though we'd probably lose a guy or two. But we have to stop them from setting off the gasoline.

    "So here's a plan. See if you think it'll work. You pick two men, maybe ones that have done some work in the undercroft before, maybe men who are fast and quiet. It's their job to sneak as close to the gasoline as they can, maybe by breaking down a wall somewhere where it's already close to falling down, maybe by sneaking behind some of that old broken furniture. However they do it, their job is to get to the fucking gasoline and prevent it from going off.

    "The rest of us are going to give them a chance to get started. Now, I've got kind of a rep, so I'm going to lead, and make a big show of talking to them. I want you and your guys to grumble about that as much as possible, make as much noise as you can, distract them. Look like a bunch of undisciplined rabble that I'm not really managing to keep under control -- you were doing okay, and then Fido came in to save the fucking day and get all the fucking glory, right? But while you're doing that, and while they're laughing at you for doing that and calling me Fido, our two men are getting into position. When it all breaks down, we fall back, and they think they've got the upper hand. Then when we do a real assault, our men are in position."

    I go over it in my head. "Anything I'm missing?" And then it occurs to me. "Fuck. The catacombs. We'll have to put one of the men on that. Anything else you can think of?"
  • "Not that I can think of."

    Chat scratches his cheek through his thick beard.

    "I'll pick two guys. You go on in and we'll keep our distance."

    When you get closer to the far side of the undercroft, where Fleece's men are set up, you hear a voice shout from the other side of some broken walls near the servant's quarters.

    "Stop right there, motherfucker! Take another step and we'll blast the shit out of yah!"

    You see several gun barrels poking out from various parts and holes in the walls. In your peripheral vision, two of Chat's men are moving stealthily around toward where the gasoline canisters are.

    What do you do?
  • I keep my assault rifle slung over my shoulder, and raise my hands to show I'm not being threatening.

    "It's me, Fido. Uncle sent me because he's not really happy about having all kinds of gasoline indoors where it's kind of dangerous. Maybe we can talk this thing down?" I'm being as loud as possible here, trying to cover any noise that Chat's men might make. "Nobody's been hurt so far, so we can still stop this before someone does something he shouldn't. Any of you want to talk about it?"

    Somewhere in here I expect to hear some rude statement from behind me, too, to enhance the distraction.
  • Chat's behind you, and you hear them building up snickers and taunts. "Fuckin' Fido." "Go ahead and shoot boys." Etc...

    A woman steps out from behind one of the crumbling walls. It's Lala.

    "Fido, you know how it works. We've got our orders. So, unless you want us to go ahead and blow the gasoline, catching your men under it, you should go on back. We're not letting anyone past here, and you're too close as it is."

    She looks back and smiles casually, waving her hand across the firing line behind her.

    "As you can see, you're outnumbered and your men back there don't seem too keen on backing you up. So, be a good little pup and go back to your master."
  • "Yeah, Lala, I know how it works. Thing is, I've got my orders too. I'd just rather not kill another Rider if it can be avoided."

    Do I have any sense of how close the two men are likely to be? Also, are you keeping track of a battle countdown?
  • You notice the Riders are moving into cover and getting settled into firing positions.

    Right now, on the countdown clock, we're at maneuvering 12-3:00.

    You can see them, but it's through a series of pillars and whatnot. So, they're in and out of your peripheral vision.

    Do you want to read the sitch?

    "Really? Hmmm. So, what are your orders?"
  • (Duh. I never think to read the sitch. No wonder I get shot so much.)

    Here's the roll: #DiceRoller( 2d6+1 )
  • (Oh, this isn't going to go well, is it?)

    "Uncle said to take the undercroft back."
  • As soon as you finish your sentence, you hear a pow!, pow!. Two shots.

    Lala immediately turns toward where the gasoline is positioned.

    "The fuck?"

    Then, her eyes go wide.

    "They're going for the gasoline! Light this motherfucker up!"

    Then, she draws forth two smgs, one in each hand and starts firing wildly as she backs up into one of the doorways there.

    Now, the way I see it, Chat's men have two options. A) Lay down some covering fire for you, so you can get back to cover, or B) Lay down some covering fire for the two men going for the gasoline.

    Do you want to call out orders at this point?

    The countdown clock just went straight to 9:00 btw.
  • "Cover the men! Take the gasoline!"

    This kind of went all explodey on me, but I had a plan. The assault rifle is out, and I'm advancing. I'm pretty sure this is an untenable position or course.

    So I think there are two moves going on here - I'm using the gang to seize the gasoline by force, and I'm maintaining an untenable position or course by advancing in the face of possibly concentrated fire. How do you want to resolve these?
  • Right now, none of Fleece's men are over near the gasoline (there was one, but he got shot twice). So, seizing by force doesn't make much sense in that respect. Maybe since Chat's men are positioned back further and are providing covering fire for the other two men to take the gasoline, it would technically be following through on someone else's move.

    Roll+sharp since it's one of my characters.

    I think you're dead on, since this is most definitely an untenable course.

    Sound good?
  • Sounds good - I didn't realize they'd been so effective. So here's the following through move: #DiceRoller( 2d6+1 )

    And here's the untenable course move: #DiceRoller( 2d6+3 ), marking the fifth experience, and I am soon to be bloodcrazed.
  • edited December 2010
    ( Might the actual 'provide covering fire' move make more sense than the 'follow through' move? )

    ( And incidentally, sweet: you've got three ticks of no concentrated fire, you're already at 9:00, and you have 2-armor. Uncle would be proud. )
  • Nice. So, Lala's got your blood boiling because those two men, well, she's sent two men of her own to take them down.

    You hear her shouting.

    "Putrid, stop those cunts!"

    You see Putrid and Rufe moving through the servants quarters and Putrid moves right up to a wall and kicks it down. He rests his machine gun on the rubble and starts pelting the area with machine-gun fire. No doubt, using up most of their ammunition.

    But, the two men Chat sent over there, well, they're pinned down with the canisters of gasoline in their laps.

    You make it up to Lala and her crew's firing position. You're literally back to back with Lala, her on one side of a wall, and you on the other. If it were a movie, the camera would be positioned so that it's you|her. There are occasional rounds snapping over your head, but you're too close for them to get a good shot on you without endangering Lala.

    "What the fuck, Fido?!"

    She's shouting over the gunfire.
  • Well, technically he's not providing the covering fire, Chat's and his men are, so I thought the follow through move seemed more appropriate.
  • "I told you, I have my orders. Now, you tell your men to stand down and surrender, before it gets any worse."

    If I have a clear line of sight on Putrid and Rufe, I'm providing covering fire: #DiceRoller( 2d6-1 )
  • edited December 2010
    And apparently I'm not providing much in the way of covering fire, either.

    ETA: first marked xp
  • edited December 2010
    Countdown clock goes to 10:00.

    Chat's man, Bingo, he stands up and tries to make a run for it when he sees you firing on Putrid. He doesn't make it far. Several rounds slam into his back and come out the other side through his chest, causing tiny explosions of blood to mist the air. He drops the gasoline and faceplants.

    The other guy, Saddle, he's crawling and Lala takes one of the smgs and fires off the corner of your shared wall. Saddle gets hit in the foot and the gasoline canister goes rolling. He's fucking screaming out now. "My foot! My fucking foot!"

    Lala is shouting at you again.

    "It's only getting worse for your men. Now, back the fuck off! Or, we're going to kill you all!"
  • "YOU FUCKING TRAITOR!"

    Lala and I have our backs to the same wall. I turn to face it, a step away, and riddle it with bullets, then force my way through it. If Lala's not dead by then, she will be moments later, as well as anyone else who dares to even raise a rifle at me. I'm seizing control of the situation, because she didn't realize I'm just NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH.

    Here's the roll: #DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )
  • edited December 2010
    Alright, give me a suffer harm roll+2 (minus armor).

    What three options are you choosing?
  • Okay, there's one dependent factor. Right now I'm doing 4 ap, and if I inflict terrible harm, that'll be 5 ap. But I also have disciplined engagement. Does that mean it's possible for me to call for terrible harm, and then dictate on a person-by-person basis how much harm they take?

    Because I want to take definite hold and impress, dismay, or frighten them. If I can dictate how much harm I do on an individual basis, then I'll inflict terrible harm. If I can't, then I'll suffer little harm and let the chips fall where they may.

    Here's the standard harm roll. #DiceRoller( 2d6 ) - I'm wearing my form-fitting yet surprisingly unrestricting 2-armor.
  • edited December 2010
    I guess it seems reasonable that you could lay down harm on a by-individual basis considering you have disciplined engagement, assuming you follow the guidelines for harm established. So, say you wind up doing 3-harm to Lala and her small gang, there definitely has to be widespread injuries, many serious, several fatalities. Who those fatalities are could be up to you.

    Unless you notch it down to 1-harm, there's going to be fatalities though (that'd be you dishing out 2-harm because they have 1-armor).

    That cool with you?
Sign In or Register to comment.