[AW] Preparations Take Place

2

Comments

  • Motown smiles. Tosses his cigarette.

    "That's the ticket! Any time I run my mouth, you just slap it if it ain't sayin' something upbeat. Ya dig? Omie, get us crackin'."

    It's a dance party now.

    You, Omie and Motown cut it up in the little hailing station. I ain't seen so many smiles in one place.

    What's it like for you? Are you a good dancer? Does this remind you of anything?
  • Motown shakes his head.

    "Nah, I don't drink."

    But, Omie's already digging into a little bag he has. He pulls out a flask of something.

    "I took some of this from Uncle's stash. It's the applejack."

    He giggles.

    "Don't tell him!"
  • Marlene's not fantastic, since she doesn't get to practice much, but she's certainly not embarrassing herself. She thinks about Barney on the carrier, and then Barney before that, when they could actually dance on the deck of a boat. Good times fondly remembered, and less bittersweet now that she's certain something of him is still around.
  • "Well, I don't want to take what isn't mine, so if Uncle asks, I'll pay him back." She takes a swig. "I guess you and I have different ideas of what constitutes sweet. Thank you anyhow; I'll have to see about getting some of that for nights that are more like this and less like mine's gonna be once that meeting's over." She turns to Motown. "I said I'd keep my eye out for that paradise of yours, but it seems to me like paradise is mostly a matter o' keepin' the right company. I hope I've said it before, but you fellas are all right."
  • edited December 2010
    Nice.

    "Well, assuming you get back from Brockway alright, let's have a party. I heard you have a barge yeah?"

    Motown leans in.

    "And, wouldn't you know it, I got another one of these music boxes, if you're interested. I'll even throw in some vinyl. Problem is, the thing isn't working. I don't know how to fix the damned thing. I'll hook you up with a nice deal considering how smooth your hips are. What you say, girl?"
  • "'Fraid I got places to go after Brockway too, but I'll tell you what. Once I get Armi's family up to North Haverbrook and get Spector back, we can have a nice boat party. I'll find some jingle to cover more o'that," indicating the flask "and the music box, and I should be able to fix it up good. The kids'll like it too. It'll be a good way for the squad to relax, and maybe I can rustle up Imam too. There's been way too much sadness 'round the chateau lately, but I always tell my kids, if you don't see what you want in this world, that just means you gotta make it yourself."
  • "That sounds fantastic. Imam's a good kid. He's the one who brings me my tunes."

    Motown thinks for a second.

    "Too much sadness. Yeah. I like that. Make it yourself. Heh."

    You continue dancing until the music runs out.

    What now?
  • "Well, boys, it's been a pleasure, but I should probably see how that meeting's coming along. I'll make sure to find you both when it's time for the party."

    She attempts to excuse herself to find a quiet spot.
  • Omie is smiling.

    "Yeah, hey, tell Pamming she can come down any time and hang out, listen in. I've got her setup ready."

    Motown is shaking his head.

    "Yeah, I guess it's getting late. I better get some shut-eye. You be careful out there girl. And, remember what I said."
  • The grounds are fairly quiet. You figure, retained at their barracks, most of the men are probably crashing out. A few Rough Riders are sitting around fires or walking off to take a piss, but overall, it's not very busy in the Chateau. So, it's easy to find a quiet spot.

    Time to open the brain?
  • Yep.

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 ) (highlighted for 2)
  • Did Barney ever betray you? And, you him?

    There's a soft sort of golden sunshine peeking through the cotton colored clouds, set against a vivid blue sky. Velvet colored flowers waver in front of your view.

    Careful, Mar. - It's Barney's voice. You feel his presence.

    Children are laughing, and you sit up. You're in a meadow of tall grass and a cool breeze swims over the top, causing it to sway. The children are flying their kites here. They seem so bright and vivid in the sky. Vera's kneeling on a checkered blanket, a picnic set out before her. She's munching on fresh grapes.

    A woman is with her. She's dressed in all white. She's young-looking. Maybe in her early 30s. She's got a thin, silver chained necklace hanging around her throat and a metallic bracelet glimmering in the sun. Vera seems to like her.

    It's not what it seems. You know that.

    Marlene, what do you look forward to most?

    The woman looks at you. Maybe her vision is blurred, or the sun's in her eyes, but she's squinting, trying to see you. She stands, and pats Vera on the head, before starting to walk your way.

    "Marlene?"

    You don't hear anything. The woman is mouthing it.

    "You belong."

    This time, the words flutter on the air. But, still far.

    "We're waiting for you. The kids are fine. No one else."

    A cough brings you back to reality.

    It's two Rough Riders walking by, bitching about the cold.
  • Posted By: Michael PfaffDid Barney ever betray you? And, you him?
    Is it a copout if I say no? It's not like he didn't have chances; he wasn't the hottest man around, but he was rugged and powerful, and in a world of uncertainty, a solid rock can be pretty enticing. Marlene knew how to bat some eyelashes to sweeten a deal, too, but both of them knew who they planned to wake up next to for the rest of their lives, and that was what they needed.

    Marlene looks forward to every little sign her kids are making it in the world, whether it's driving the boat, or taking an interest in trading, or just wanting to defend the place like Timmy. Every time one of them says, "no, Mama, let me do it," she knows they're that much closer to being able to survive, and maybe even make something for themselves in this hardscrabble world. She won't be around forever, but she hopes to be around long enough to need looking after.
  • Posted By: Max BIs it a copout if I say no?
    It's totally not.
  • Did Uncle say where he was going? I don't intend to spy on him, but hanging out in that general area should expedite things.
  • He was going to see about Gritch. I don't know if he mentioned that specifically or not...
  • Let's just amble in the direction of something central, and ask somebody if we see anybody who looks likely to know.
  • edited December 2010
    She read me, and knows what I intend to do:
    I intend to, probably, murder Gritch in the next forty minutes ... I have a meeting in about that time, and I don't want to be late. If I still have time after that, I might check out the dock, but I'm also thinking about looking in on White.

    Then I'll want to take you to said meeting and debrief you about Brockway, probably along with select members of the squad and maybe that girl you picked up (I don't yet know she's as young as she is). Then I'll be planning how to intercept Mr. Williams on his way home, and I'll probably need you and Barney as part of that engagement.
  • Oh yeah. Well, I'll head to somewhere around outside of the meeting, then.
  • As you're sort of meandering around, you see Dremmer come hauling ass through the gardens.

    "Hey! Hey! You seen Kirk? Help me find Kirk! That psycho Gritch has escaped!"
  • Knew Gritch was trouble. "Haven't seen him, but I'd guess he's at the meeting. You can poke your head in and check, if you want."
  • I assume the strategy meeting is taking place in the war room yeah?

    Dremmer nods.

    He enters that portion of the mansion and a few minutes later Kirk comes out. He stands there for a second and then looks over at you, Marlene. You can tell he's sorting things out in his head.

    "Marlene, I might need your help."
  • "I owe the Riders plenty. Whaddya need?"
  • edited December 2010
    "I need a quick sweep of the perimeter. Gritch has escaped. He could already be out of the Chateau by now. It's my guess that he'd head to Narrows first, since it's so close. Can you take Barney down and find out if anyone has seen him running around in his fancy suit?"

    Marlene, you think you hear Baby Duck's voice coming from inside the war room.
  • Let's read the sitch, since that voice has me on edge:

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 ) (highlighted for 3)
  • What do you wanna know?
  • Only one. I guess I should have taken more Sharp as an improvement. What's my enemy's true position?
  • edited December 2010
    I'm assuming you mean Baby Duck here right? Heh.

    How are you reading the sitch? You looking past Kirk into the room? Moving closer to hear in on what he's saying?
  • As soon as Marlene heard the voice, she was drawn over there. She's not exactly nonchalant about it, but she tries not to be visible from inside the war room.
Sign In or Register to comment.