[AW] Barney and the Jolly Ranchers

edited December 2010 in In-Game
Gritch, the ride is definitely not what you would consider smooth. The terrain throughout the land is very hilly and the back roads the Jolly Ranchers are taking were probably barely maintained in their time. Most of the them, old and cracked two-lane highways, snaking throughout the land and running alongside rivers, streams and lakes. The bikes are moving fast. It's fifteen or so rumbling engines slicing through the pristine quiet of the nature in the area. The wind is cold and it's hard to see with but the light from their headlights being cast ahead.

Hugo is near the head of the pack, close to Trey and Rousseau. There's a woman on the back of Rousseau's bike. The one with the scarf. How the hell she's keeping warm you have no idea. She's huddled tight, close to his back as possible.

It's like this for an hour or so. Then, something comes moving up from behind. Would Gritch recognize it?

It's you Marlene. Up ahead, you see the tail-lights of a crowd of motorcycles, glowing red in the night. Every now and then they pass through a patch of fog or around the bend of a road, but you're moving in on them. Barney is fucking fast.

What are you guys doing?
«1

Comments

  • I don't particularly want to start shit with a biker gang, so we'll keep following and read the sitch.

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 ) (highlighted for an advance. Seems like it may be a bit before I have time to moonlight, so let's advance some basic moves: read a sitch, open your brain, and act under fire. On the off chance I roll a 12, let me know whether that applies to this roll or whether it takes effect the next time I use one.)
  • Blarg. Should have boosted the Sharp I guess.
  • Gritch might recognize it. He rode on Marlene's barge, not Barney, I think, but he's been in the Chateau for long enough that he might have had some firsthand experience, at some point, with Barney. Or he might have just seen the damn thing often enough to be able to recognize it. So, yeah, I'm leaning towards him recognizing it.


    Dammit.

    Ain't as bad as it could be, granted. If Uncle 'n the Riders were pourin' outta the trees at us, it'd be much worse. Fort'nately, s'just Marlene. Unfort'nately, s'Marlene. She never did much like me after that thing with her daughter, an' I'm thinkin' if she's gotten any word o' what Dog Head did with my body back at the Chateau, then she won' hesitate one bit t'put a bullet in my skull. An' I doubt these folks on bikes're gonna be much of a deterrent to that beast with grenade launchers.

    "Hugo!" I try t'shout over the wind whippin' at me, an' the roars o' the bikes. "There's a fuckin' tank behind us! Gun it!"

    I'm not wantin' the men t'turn an' fight. Don' think they could do much, but even so, I don' want 'em hurtin' Marlene. She done nothin'. Hopin' I can get 'em t'just speed us the hell outta here, somewhere that beast can' follow.
  • edited December 2010
    Gritch, you see something glimmering in Trey's rearview mirror, in surprisingly good shape. It's the light from whatever is coming up from behind.

    Trey looks over his shoulder.

    Marlene, what should Trey be on the lookout for?

    Then, Trey looks at you, Gritch, as you're shouting at Hugo.
  • I do my best t'look scared an' ready to run. Ain' all that hard, really. Hopin' he don' see nothin' in me that'd tip him off t'me recognizin' the damn thing.
  • I'm trying to sort out Marlene's knowledge of the massacre in the OOG thread. If Marlene has a good suspicion from anybody that he did it, Trey should be on the lookout for Marlene trying to kill Gritch. If not, he should be on the lookout for her trying to snatch him and take him back to the Chateau, with as much roughing up as needed to keep him from mindfucking anybody. Either way, she doesn't actually want trouble with Trey's gang if she can help it.
  • All right, Trey should be on the lookout for Marlene trying to capture Gritch, without particular concern for injuring him in the process. She doesn't want trouble from Trey if she can help it, and she'd be happy to pull over and talk things out before pointing any guns.
  • Hugo pulls up fast next to Trey. He's shouting at him.

    "GUY SAYS IT'S A FUCKING TANK! LET'S GO!"

    Trey shouting back.

    "THEY WANT HIM!"

    He nods to you, Gritch. Then, shouts some more.

    "WE CAN'T OUTRUN IT. IT'S TOO FAST. PULL OFF."

    Trey throws his arm up, signaling for the gang to slow down and pull off.

    Marlene, up ahead, you see the gang slowing down, beginning to pull off.

    You're situated on a two-lane road running parallel to a wide, but shallow looking river that's curving around the base of a pretty steep hill on your right side. There is a thick fog lingering in pockets above the water and up ahead on the road. The forest looks semi-dead, leaves covering the ground, from what you can tell from the glow of the head and tail lights.

    What do you do?
  • Shit! Shitshitshitshitshit!

    I don' wan' Marlene t'get hurt, but I can' go back t'Uncle, not now, not yet. Shit!

    (Can I read Trey? "How can I get Trey to run me away from Marlene?")
  • I slow down and pull up to them, exposing the side with the unmanned launcher. I get out. "Howdy boys. I'm not lookin' for trouble, but Uncle would like to have a little chat with Gritch here. Well, not here. Up at the Chateau. If y'all wanted to come, I'm sure we could find a round of drinks for ya, but it looks like you've got another destination in mind, so I can take him back myself if that's all right."
  • Gritch, you can't really get a read on him until they've pulled off, but yeah, go for it.
  • M'kay, that's fine. I'm watching him like a hawk as we're pulling off, and the moment Marlene starts speaking, I'm watching him even more closely, for any sign of what he's thinking. I can read Navarre like a book (some of the time), so if Trey is at all like his lookalike, then this shouldn't be so hard.

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 )

    (highlighted for 2)
  • BWAHAHAHA.

    So, I read Trey like I would Navarre, and I get it TOTALLY WRONG.
  • edited December 2010
    Marlene, the leader, you presume, looks oddly familiar and then he takes off his shades and you realize he looks dead-up like Navarre in most aspects.

    He dismounts his bike, the others staying on theirs, and walks over toward Barney. As he's moving toward the tank, he's looking at you too Gritch.

    Gritch, what do you wish Trey would do?

    "It seems you have us at a disadvantage here, Miss."

    Trey's voice doesn't sound at all like Navarre's. It's startling.

    "You seem to know one of us, but we don't know who you are. I'm Trey. This here's the Jolly Ranchers."

    He swings his arms wide to show you his biker gang.

    Marlene, what's Trey's best escape route? And, which enemy is his biggest threat?
  • edited December 2010
    Um. I wish Trey would get me the fuck outta here an' take me to God. I need to get Dog Head outta me, an' I need to make up for what I done, an' I'm not goin' be able t'do that if'n Marlene takes me back to the Chateau an' Uncle an' a noose or a bullet or whatever. At least I wish Trey wouldn' give me over to Marlene, so theoretically, him gettin' me outta here can come later rather than sooner. But one way or another, I wan' him t'take me to God.
  • If Trey hands over Gritch, Marlene will shake his hand and bid him adieu, but that's not exactly an escape.

    The best way to get out with Gritch but without a fight would be to convince her that Gritch is getting what's coming to him, either by indicating they're taking him to some other powerful person he's wronged (whereabouts to report back to Uncle would be nice), or by convincing her that they'll bring him back to the Chateau after they're done with whatever they're doing. Also, giving back whatever that guy took from Armistead would be good concrete assurance, though Marlene technically doesn't know what was taken, or that it actually belonged to Gritch, so giving her something and saying it was what Gritch had the guy take would probably work fine, whatever it was.

    Taking a different tack to a similar end, Marlene wasn't asked to bring back a body, so threatening Gritch, or pretending to, would get her to leave.

    Really, any kind of threat would do; she was asked to find Gritch, and she did. There's nothing here worth shooting anyone over.
  • "I'm Marlene, that's B, and we're driving Barney. B's a rough rider, but I'm more of an...independent contractor who has an appreciation for the stability Uncle brings to the area."
  • "Well, that sort of puts us at a cross here, Marlene. Because, see, we're sort of independent contractor's also. And, we've got somewhere to take this guy."

    Trey moves closer now to Barney, but he's not touching the machine or anything. He's scratching the crease in his nostril.

    "Yeah. So, how do you recommend we proceed considering those facts?"
  • Trey looks over at you, Gritch.

    "Do you want to go with her?"
  • I snort. "Fuck no. I left that place. I'm needin' some help, an' Uncle an' the other folk at the Chateau? They ain't goin' give it t'me, so I gotta seek it elsewhere." True enough.
  • edited December 2010
    Trey turns back to you, Marlene. Throws his hands up.

    "See Marlene? Now, that's just not what I'd call ... right. Forcin' a man to go somewhere he doesn't want to when he's got other places to be."

    He shrugs.

    "Maybe, just maybe, he'll come on back and you can have him after he's done with whatever he's got to do where we're taking him?"
  • "Well, as I think back, my only specific orders were to find out where Gritch was. I know where he is now, but if I had some idea where he was going, that might be satisfying to those that sent me. As it happens, I wanted to talk to him anyway, so maybe we can work things out."

    She turns to Gritch.

    "Somebody roughed up my family and the passengers on my boat pretty bad lookin' for somethin' they said was for you. You know anything about that?"

    Let's try to read Gritch:

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 ) (highlighted for 1)
  • Trey waits for Gritch to answer before answering himself.
  • (Is there a question you're asking from the "read" list? Or should I answer the in-character question, first?)
  • Answer in character, and then I can see if you're telling the truth, or what you intend to do, as appropriate.
  • "Somebody roughed up your family? Passengers? Lookin' for something..." Lightbulb in my head. "Ah, shit, that was Hale. Didn' ask 'im t'hurt no one. Jus' wanted somethin' o' mine back. He said he found it, an' I paid him t'get it fer me. Didn' realize he was takin' it from someone by force." Probably shoulda figured that one out, but then, would it've mattered? I needed it back, an' it shouldn't've been in the hands o' people who didn' know how t'use it, anyways.
  • Mechanically, Marlene wants to know if Gritch is telling the truth. I already know he is, so we'll take that as read unless you feel it's worth amending. What does Gritch intend to do?
  • Yeah, that's fine. For the intentions, do you want it in the immediate sense? More long term? My pick?
  • I intended it as "Where is Gritch headed right now/what does he want to do there" but if you'd rather go long term, I think insight into Gritch's long term goals would probably improve Marlene's attitude toward him considerably.
  • Well, I'm going to keep it vague.

    Immediate: Do whatever I have to to get where I'm going, and not go back with Marlene to Uncle. I'd rather it not turn to violence, but I am not going back to the Chateau, not right now. So if it has to turn to violence, or mind-fuckery, so be it.

    Longer term: After I'm done with what I'm planning on doing, go back to the Chateau and face whatever's waiting there for me.
Sign In or Register to comment.