Kray -- The Faceless

edited December 2010 in Out-Of-Game
Is it true everywhere, always? Was it true in the golden age of legend, when
life was kind? For certain it’s true here in Apocalypse World: some of us are
born and grow up and live without faces. We have things on the fronts of our
heads, of course, but they’re soft, malleable, expressive, revealing things,
they aren’t our faces. Our faces would be hard, ungiving, silent and stern,
they would be what we are. They would never flinch.

Kray -- The Faceless

Cool=0, Hard+3, Hot+1, Sharp-1, Weird+1

Look: man, showy armor, merciless eyes, huge body

Gear: fireaxe, armor of polished razordillo hide, Snickers owes me two barrels of the regular

Mask: image
It's battered. When someone sees me unmasked for the first time, they take s-harm. When I'm unmasked, I am:
- Grotesque. Every PC who sees me goes immediately to Hx+3 with me.
- Afraid. I take -1 ongoing until I cover my face again.

Moves:

Special:If you and another character have sex, hold 1. If they get into shit, either you or they can spend your hold and you are there. (Springroll, Man, Wilson)

Norman: you seek the advice of your mask. Roll+weird to see what it directs you to do. On a 10+ mark experience and take a +1 if you do as your mask wishes. On a 7–9, take a +1 if you do what it wants and act under fire if you don’t. On a miss, it has its own agenda and act under fire if you don’t follow it.

"When I do this, I just ask questions out loud; like I was talking to whomever is around -- but I'm not. And then I answer, but it's in this perfect little girl voice that no one would guess was possible for me to make."

Rasputin: shot, stabbed, and poisoned, you just keep coming. When you are being scary as fuck and coming at someone, you get +1-armor. You still get shot and stabbed, bleeding just doesn’t bother you that much anymore.

Scent of blood: at the beginning of the session, roll+weird. On a 10+ hold 1+1. On a 7–9 hold 1. At any time, you or the MC can spend your hold to have you at the scene of a battle (a real battle, not intimate violence between a couple people). On a miss, the MC holds 1, and can spend it to have you there and pinned down.

Beastly: you get +1hard (hard+3).

Juggernaut: take -2 on all “when you suffer harm” rolls.

Daredevil: if you go straight into danger without hedging your bets: you get +1 armor. If you happen to be leading a gang or convoy, it gets +1 armor too.

Oh yeah!: roll+hard to smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something. 10+, the scenery moved or smashed and you get what you want. On a 7–9 you get what you want and smash or move the scenery, but take 1-harm (ap), and are disoriented and under fire in follow-up actions, leave something behind, or take something with you. think smashing through walls or pushing through burned out husks of cars.

Hx: Nickel+1, Tavi+1, Wilson+2, Shade=0, Man+3, Rabbit+2, (Jake +1)

Improvement:

Experience: (X) () () () ()

___ get +1hot (max +2)
___ get +1sharp (max +2)
___ get +1weird (max +2)
_X_ get a new faceless move (Beastly)
_X_ get a new faceless move (Juggernaut)
_X_ get a new faceless move (Oh Yeah!)
___ get a gang (detail) and pack alpha
___ get a holding (detail) and wealth
_X_ get a move from another playbook -- Daredevil (The Driver)
___ get a move from another playbook*
----------------------------------------------
___ get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
___ retire your character (to safety)
___ create a second character to play
___ change your character to a new type
___ choose 3 basic moves and advance them.
___ advance the other 4 basic moves.

*maybe: Battle hardened, NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH, Merciless, Bonefeel, Lost, Frenzy, Casual brain receptivity

My level of addiction to Crocus Juice:

For my reference:
SP IDplayer nameplaybookcharacter name
Christopher WeeksChrisFacelessKray
MaduGarySkinnerShade
Max BMaxOperatorWilson
octoscottScottBrainer Nickel
RustinRustinHocus Rabbit
trevisTrevisBattlebabe Tavi
Michael LoyMichaelGunlugger Man
Narration History:
"Session 1"
A day in the life of Kray
Omie Wise's "Fruit" Stand & The Tin Shack
Following The Pack
"Session 2"
Big Game Lodge Meetin' Time
In Kray's Den of the Red Lamp Warrens

Comments

• I like the mask.

Obviously, we'll get more into outlook and personality when we have a better understanding of the Menagerie's world and setting. Out of curiosity though, is the mask named Norman for you? I could totally see it being named something else, so I just wanted to make sure.
  • No, that's the name of the move. I'm not sure if it really has a name. I'll think on that.
  • Yeah, I knew Norman was the move, but I thought it was doing a bit of that "to do it, do it" stuff, where someone with the Breathtaking move is, y'know, breathtaking, so a Faceless with the Norman move would name his mask Norman (Osborne). Just a good thing to know, though, because your answers could easily play into any elements of this setting as established so far. You could even treat your mask as your own personal line to the Hocus's god, for example, depending on how that works out. But I'm likin' Kray. Think you can give anymore about his personality?
  • edited December 2010
    Kray pretty much lives to fuck. Anyone, anywhere. Sometimes it costs him some jingle -- if it's something special. Sometimes he forgets to check whether they're interested. While he may not follow normal mores about appropriate behavior, he does feel a powerful sense of obligation toward his partners. Nobody better mess with Kray's friends.

He's really not much of a talker. Most problems can be solved with his dick or his axe. But he's been thinking a sniper rifle would be cool, too.

Kray busts up people, places and animals for jingle and meat. Normally, he's worked alone, finding razordillo nests at noon and chopping the fuckers up with his axe. Razordillo back makes a damn fine sandwich in that 12th Street Pepper Sauce they make. Lately he's been on Wilson's crew -- the shift to big game has been fun, but it's a little weird to work in concert.
  • So he's a people person huh? He's the guy in front when hunting bear-a-saurus.... that guy. Yeah.
  • He prefers people, yeah.
  • A long time ago, before Kray got his true face, he had a sister. Something happened to her. But he can't remember what. Or even what her name was. When he's seeking guidance from his mask, he's using it to channel his sister's memory.
  • Sounds like the kind of character Nickel would attach to, but you might just scare the hell out of me too much.
  • Kray doesn't mind being attached.
  • edited December 2010
    Want to be my "dad"? Hehe... Let me see how the Hocus fits in and if I'd even be really welcome on a monster hunting gig... not sure that SOUNDS like my thing but you never know.
  • I'm just gonna leave this here, for reference:

faceless playbook (the thread, not the actual prepared pdf)
  • edited December 2010
    Working with what I see, my little Brainer doesn't have much of a place in a monster hunter gang. If Kray wants to "adopt" me for the time being, I can be the brain for the brawn. If that doesn't sound cool or if you think it's a good idea to wait and see if there's a second "hocus" group out there, we can do so, but there might be some potential synergy (Nickel is a bit of a parasite) here.

Thing is I don't think she'd stick with Kray if she felt overtly threatened by him, so there'd need to be something there.
  • Like I said in the other thread, I'm enamored of the idea of Kray stomping around with Nickel on his shoulder.
  • Master Blaster!
  • For my reference:
    SP IDplayer nameplaybookcharacter name
    Christopher WeeksChrisFacelessKray
    MaduGarySkinnerShade
    Max BMaxOperatorWilson
    octoscottScottBrainer Nickel
    RustinRustinHocus Rabbit
    trevisTrevisBattlebabe Tavi
    Michael LoyMichaelGunlugger Man
  • I'm currently vacillating between taking advances that make me weirder and those that make me a combat monster. I'm particularly interested in whether either of the weird or combat character-players (Scott and Rustin for Weird and Trevis and Michael for combat) feel threatened by either course?
  • edited December 2010
    I figure on starting off as a brute and progressing to more sophisticated psychic/biotech stuff as the game goes on, so I have no problem with you borrowing combat moves.

Even if I don't fully develop that idea, I'm interested in the fact that Man and Kray are both something like monsters, so I'd cheerfully share.
  • How does Kray talk? I'm trying to put together Man's voice, in my head, and I think I'd want to contrast with Kray.
  • Slowly. Deep voice. Gestures are better than words if they'll suffice. I'm not stupid, just kind of in a bubble. I probably mutter to myself as much as I actually talk to anyone.

When I,'m not on the job, I spend a fair amount of time in two different places.

First, there's the top levels of the tunnels. I'm only human -- I like to spend some time with people around. The tunnels are the closest thing to a civilization; a real settlement. You can get a meal, buy doo-dads brought back from the ruins, even play games. All the trappings of civilization -- least as far as I know them, are there in the tunnels. I think they have rules about where you can just set up and camp, but no one ever bothers me about it; they just go around if I'm in the way.

But I also maintain a little place on the shore of a local stream. It isn't much, but when you want some alone time, it's nice to be able to get away. And the peeps in the tunnel hardly ever come out. It's maybe not the driest place when the rains come, but the trees keep it safe from lightening and it's fun to feel the raw power that kicks through; makes me feel really alive. Lots of people don't eat what grows out here, but I've found that certain berries are safe and it's the only way to get them -- I think my sister would like them; some of the other ladies do.
  • Oh, a place down by the river, like that.
  • Oh, and thank you for making me explain the fetish mask to my coworkers... "It's ok,.... it's role playing"
  • edited December 2010
    Alright, Something Terrible. I've got nothing, but I'll start typing and see if something falls into place.

So, what terrible things does Kray do? It's established that he's an occasional rapist, so there's that, but I kind of guess that he usually doesn't need help with that. Maybe help getting away with it, on occasion, but that seems like a sissy interpretation of helping you do something terrible.

It's also noted that he'll bust people up for money, which sounds more promising.

A fringe interpretation could be that Man helped Kray do something that was terrible to her, but not necessarily to the larger population. She has a weird perspective in some matters, after all.

Well, I'm going to backpedal. I did help you get away with a rape. Are you picky about gender?

There was this kid - not a little kid, but like a teenager. Someone middling important. Rabbit used to have four students, right? The fourth was Tang, son/daughter of a deeper headman ... kind of a big deal, actually, that the headman let his kid come up and associate with the other castes like that, living with Rabbit and moving among the people.

Well, was it a rape? It might have been, might not have been. Either way, you got seriously fucking carried away, and the kid was left this ruined mess. Still alive, for the moment, but ... horrible. And maybe you're a little blind to the rules of society, but you still knew you weren't going to get away with that shit.

So. I was nearby, and the two of us, we're pretty tight. Fought shoulder to shoulder, relied on one another. You were ... yeah, pretty sure the rest of the crew wouldn't back you in this, but maybe I would. And I did. We got Tang out of the tunnels, and I helped you arrange for the kid to just vanish. Heck, it's an incidental detail, but I'm the one who actually put Tang out of his/her misery. You're not sure why I was so easy about it, if that's the kind of thing you think about.

I'm thinking this was fairly recent, though: a month or so. Enough time that the immediate fallout has fallen, and it's become clear that we've gotten away with it scot-free. Nobody knows.
  • Keep in mind Nickel knows (if not likes) the kids around here. Got some info on a couple in my thread, too.
  • edited December 2010
    Hey why would Kray be hanging around with Nickel? Am I forcing you to? Some sort of odd compatibility? Again if she feels overtly threatened by him there's no way she'd stick around like that. Do like the cabin outside, maybe that's what attracts me to you, you appreciate that, but dang, the rest of Kray sounds terrifying.
  • Like I said, Tang's more a teenager.
  • edited December 2010
    Posted By: Michael LoyAre you picky about gender?
    No. Womenfolk are often less bother when I need my servicing, but anyone will do. It's totally kosher for Tang to be a young man.
    Posted By: Michael LoyWell, was it a rape? It might have been, might not have been. Either way, you got seriously fucking carried away, and the kid was left this ruined mess. Still alive, for the moment, but ... horrible.
    I don't think it was rape -- we were stoned off our heads in a little ritual and it got kind of feral -- who knew the kid was so...fragile. I hate when that happens.
    Posted By: Michael LoyI'm thinking this was fairly recent, though: a month or so. Enough time that the immediate fallout has fallen, and it's become clear that we've gotten away with it scot-free. Nobody knows.
    Nice. At least, that's what we think!
    Posted By: octoscottKeep in mind Nickel knows (if not likes) the kids around here. Got some info on a couple in my thread, too.
    I was thinking about a scene involving a bully and a fire-axe at some point.
    Posted By: octoscottHey why would Kray be hanging around with Nickel? Am I forcing you to? Some sort of odd compatibility? Again if she feels overtly threatened by him there's no way she'd stick around like that. Do like the cabin outside, maybe that's what attracts me to you, you appreciate that, but dang, the rest of Kray sounds terrifying.
    Protection? Great sex? No judgement? (Oh, are you weird, I hadn't noticed...) You tell me! I prefer you not be forcing me. I really don't threaten anyone -- so if you feel threatened, it's on you. I do, on the other hand, sometimes just take what I want -- maybe that's why some folk are nervous.
  • I'm going to assume Nickel doesn't really want people to know she's close to Kray so much. Probably come and go a little bit quiet-like.
    And let's assume I don't know what you've done? Though I don't know how well you can keep secrets from me.