[The Menagerie] Out Of Game Affairs

edited December 2010 in Out-Of-Game
Alright, let's start talking about out of game stuff here, instead of in the pitch thread.

Also, because it's technically before play, or something, Max, if you wouldn't mind, let's see that juggling roll here.
«13456727

Comments

  • Are we rolling start-of-session stuff now or just downtime stuff? (I have Scent of blood whenever it's time...)
  • All right. We'll start out with easy gigs, Compound defense, and Maintaining our honor. Does this count as highlighted?

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 )
  • Shit, I should have picked harder gigs. Honor intact, we roll home with 1 measly barter.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, go ahead and roll Scent of Blood, Chris. Kray. In out of game threads, which am I supposed to call you? Chray. I settle on that.

    Also, I just added a "menagerie upkeep" tag to these threads. I'm going to start up a Harm Status thread, too. With the upkeep tag, we should be able to click on the tag, see all these important threads, no matter how far down the list they've been dragged. Make sense?

    ETA: If the juggling roll is +cool, then yeah, it's highlighted.
  • Scent of blood (xp) #DiceRoller( 2d6+1 )
  • Compound defense is 2-barter. So there you go: already looking up.
  • edited December 2010
    Couple questions immediately crop up.

    (1) You're coming home after having done some compound defense. You killed some of the smaller critters, then. Do you bring home carcasses, for butchering, or for other products, like insects' chitin? If so, how do you bring them home? Do you have a sledge you bring out on a hunt with you? I totally love the image of you coming into 12th Street, and then a bunch of daylighters, who have just been waiting for an opportunity like this, scurry forward, stab some ropes with hooks on either end into the carcasses, and start dragging them into 12th Street, in exchange for some of the meat.

    (2) If we were to start this off with you already in 12th Street, where would everyone be, exactly? I've already got a bit of a clear idea for Man (with her place). Wilson would be with Shade, but what's Shade's place? Where's Tavi? Kray, you'd probably be with whoever you just fucked, right? Is there any consistent pattern there, at all? Rabbit, where would you be, most likely? Any consistent place? Any place that stands out for right now? Nickel, just with another family? Anyone in particular?

    (3) Do we think people are coming and going from 12th Street regularly? If so, where do you think they're going? If not, then would the Menagerie heading out and coming back be something of an event, even more so than my comments in the first question implied? Personally, I don't think they're really traveling above ground; if anything, travel is below ground. Daylighters might go out and do some jobs, and come back at night, but really, they don't go all too far away, so yes, the Menagerie coming and going above ground is something of an event.

    ETA: Oh yeah, and just to make sure we're all clear, let's keep the highlighted protocol from the Chateau. If you ever roll a highlighted stat, just say, in parentheses afterward, (highlighted for X), where X is how many xp you have, now, towards your next improvement.
  • Posted By: Brendan Conway(2) If we were to start this off with you already in 12th Street, where would everyone be, exactly? I've already got a bit of a clear idea for Man (with her place). Wilson would be with Shade, but what's Shade's place? Where's Tavi? Kray, you'd probably be with whoever you just fucked, right? Is there any consistent pattern there, at all? Rabbit, where would you be, most likely? Any consistent place? Any place that stands out for right now? Nickel, just with another family? Anyone in particular?
    Nickel yes would be with whomever, though she only really goes to a home to sleep and when she feels threatened or alone. Mostly she's out on the "streets" watching people, looking for treasures. She keeps some of her barter in the form of simple creature comforts, as well. Nothing she can't carry.
    I don't picture her out on the gig, yet... she won't be especially effective yet in a combat situation, maybe shes only recently become acquainted with most of the menagerie through her close proximity to Kray recently. She's probably waiting for him somewhere while he's out with the crew, somewhere she can see the tunnel and she just can't sit still.
  • edited December 2010
    I think we drag these with some kind of yoke and harness:

    imageimage
    Or maybe we have some kind of teamster/slaves that do that?

    That wouldn't really do for chunks larger than a cow, but I figure we do some field disassembly, maybe.

    I think we totally bring home carcasses for processing.

    I think when I'm in the station, 90% of my time is occupied by: fucking, eating, tripping or hanging out with Nickel. I could be wherever.
  • The sledge idea and the "event" idea are grand. We return, stained with the blood of recalcitrant megafauna, our sledge piled high with the corpses of those too stubborn to leave. Daylighters begin the work of butchering the carcasses and making tools of the chitin, while the Menagerie hobnobs with those about, regaling them with tales of imminent doom, that were "all in a day's work." A bonfire is started to slow-roast the evening's feast, and everyone looking for someone to fuck finds them and disappears for a while.

    And there was much rejoicing.
  • I think the Daylighters probably tend truck patches under the sun, fish and maybe hunt small game -- assuming not everything has become dangerous and weird. I agree with the notion that they almost never stay out over night.

    Oh, wait, let's say that sometimes the Station evicts/banishes trouble-makers and they've settled some much less elaborate ruins a day or two of travel from here. Yeah? So there might be some traffic to and from and they might have relations with us, too.
  • Bwah! I like that, Chris!

    It's a cave. They settled in a cave. Because they couldn't imagine not living without something like that to retreat to. But, horror of horrors, it is in no way linked up to the deeper tunnel system. They're totally cut off from the other settlements. Unless they go over ground, but who the fuck would do that?

    I kind of want to call it Fuckoff Cave. They aren't happy in Fuckoff Cave. And they're not doing very well, either.
  • Nice. I'm sure they're made up of the normal anti-social criminal types, but I'd also like to imagine that political/spiritual thinkers are sometimes given the old Fuck Off -- making Fuckoff Cave a more interesting place.
  • edited December 2010
    Posted By: Brendan Conway Wilson would be with Shade, but what's Shade's place?
    Revising Shade's view of the tunnelfolk in light of the caste system, etc. that's evolved. She's still not a fan of the Deepers, but Shade is willing to rub shoulders with the Daylighters -- so she's got someplace in the upper reaches of 12th Street. Not like Man, where the jungle seeps in, but close enough so that she doesn't have to walk a mile to see light and breathe outside air. You know, I have this mental image of Inara's shuttle mapped onto a half-crushed subway car, the seats and fixtures long since scavenged... but there are still poles. Not as nice as the shuttle, not by a long shot – but someplace moderately secure, with like walls and doors and stuff. Inside it's spare: a couple pallets, a water bucket, and a few critter-oil lamps. Room to dance, sleep, and fuck.

    Substantial edit: I feel like I'm turtling up, so some amendments are due. Just ruminating here... I do work for the tunnelers on a mostly-informal basis. I like Daylighters better, but the Deepers have more jingle so it's six of one vs. a half-dozen of the other. Since I have a lover and a crew, my freelancing courtesan-ness is more "traditional" geisha-like, providing a touch of class to a party or gathering, or acting as a go-between in minor tunneler faction disputes. Not Operator-level brokering, but more of an oil-on-water calming role, "Let's not pull knives on each other in front of Shade, shall we?" These are the things that keep me in a bare minimum of necessities.

    Some persons from my past: Crine is a fairly well-to-do Scuttler, a gentleman-merchant who's employed me in the past for ornamental purposes and we have at least a working relationship. Abondo is a Daylighter girl who has some potential: I'm sort of teaching her what I can about dance and Skinnering, but purely in an ad-hoc manner. At some point she'll make serious demands of my time and it will have to become a gig. Bowdy typifies what I don't like about Deepers – creepy, arrogant, overcryptic – and plus he tried to take more than he'd paid for. I had to stick the sword an inch or two into his belly to get him to back off.

    Perhaps that adds a few handles to Shade that weren't there before.
  • Posted By: MaduI have this mental image of Inara's shuttle mapped onto a half-crushed subway car
    That's so rad. I love playing this game with excellent people :)
  • So, I'm thinking/writing up the opening scenes, and I thought I'd ask on opinions. There was just that moonlighting roll, but everything's copasetic. So I don't see the reason to start with the Menagerie out on a hunt, nor do I see a reason to really start with them just coming back. I think it could easily be the day immediately after the return, when there are still several business things that might need to be conducted after having brought back all that meat and what have you, but everybody's waking up separately (or not, as the case may be) throughout 12th Street. Yeah? It was either this, or start with the Menagerie coming back. I'm still interested in that scene, but I feel like starting with a slow build, everybody separate, seems a bit more interesting for the first session. Let me know what you think. Start the game separately, or together?
  • Sounds cool. Don't forget Hocus fortunes, too.
    Separately or in small groups based on in-game relationships or situations.
  • Yeah, that's a good point. Stupid mistake for me.

    Rustin, you wanna roll fortunes? I want to make your cultists into savages.
  • edited December 2010
    I really liked everybody waking up for their first day in the Chateau, so I think that's a good way to start.

    ETA: Fortunes could change that. In my first game, my Hocus hit surplus and we had +party, so we started with the party.
  • imageRabbit has spend the last few days mostly with the daylighters of his cult and neglecting the deepers. He’s feeling a touch guilty about this.

    Fortune #DiceRoller( 2d6+1 )
  • Ouch.


    DICE TEST #DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )
  • While I'm hanging around with Kray lately, I don't think I feel safe sleeping near him, given the badness he's been up to lately. He's too much for me to handle if he gets out of control.
  • I'm so misunderstood.

    Maybe I'm waking up with Man? Or Springroll. Or y'know, both? Or fuck, someone we've never before met -- it's all good.
  • edited December 2010
    So I'm thinking that Tavi lives near Shade. I'm kind of picturing right next door, maybe some kind of lean-to, constructed out of scrap (doors and crap from other old cars, that shares a wall with Shade's place because it's constructed against it. Maybe even a window or two of Shade's car opens into my space, but they keep it blocked, you know, mostly. Smaller or something. Just a bed and few things. Thing is, Wilson's noisy, if you know what I mean. Actually they both are, but Wilson's the louder one. Not that she minds if she's the cause, but listening to it makes her grumpy. (Yes, I imagine Shade and Tavi have yelled conversations through the wall, like Office Space) A lot of the time Tavi sleeps over with someone she's screwing. Maybe a steady (again they don't last), maybe just someone she hooks up with for a night or two. Sometimes Kray (but she has to really want to put up with it, cause you know, at least once before sleep, once usually sometime in the middle of the night, in the morning too. I mean she likes fucking, but shit.) She doesn't like to sleep alone. She really needs a warm body. Sometimes she's desperate enough to sleep with Nickel (maybe not the sex part) just to have the body there, but that kid creeps her out. If she comes home drunk and alone she'll usually go to Shade's place and wheedle her way in, which I'm sure Shade just loves

    Otherwise she like to hang out at a place where she can drink, dance, gamble, pick a fight or find someone to screw. I mean I'm sure there's some kind of pub around here.

    I'm also thinking that she participates in tunnel racing. They're these foot/climbing races where you have to run though a pretty dangerous course. There's a lot of natural chasms (could be between building tops in places) that are only bridged by like an old girder or a tree trunk or something, or with a rope bridge. Old buldings you have to climb the face of. There's gambling around these things of course.

    Probably there's fights too. UFC anyone? Tavi would totally do that.
  • edited December 2010
    She'd pitfight beasties too. Using only her Naginata and wearing very little. :)
  • Sounds like a good show.
  • edited December 2010
    Did Kray come by last night? That'd be fine. But then, Man's fine with whatever. The Man abides.
  • Since my last post I've been thinking about gambling. I've been working out a couple of custom moves but I'm hoping you guys can help. I kind of want them to be list picks but I'm not sure what options would be good. Here they are so far.

    When you play games of chance, name your stake: barter, promise or particular thing and the MC will name hers. Manipulate as necessary. Roll+Weird
    on a 10+ fortune favours you
    on a 7-9 choose (number?)
    * Your opponent(s) loses with bad grace

    on a miss...


    When you play games of skill, name your stake: barter, promise or particular thing, and the MC will name hers. Manipulate as necessary. Roll+Sharp or +Hard as appropriate
    on 10+ you win
    On a 7-9 choose (number?)
    * Your opponenet(s) loses with bad grace
    * You injure yourself (1-harm)
    * You injure your opponent (1-harm)

    On a miss...
  • Posted By: trevisWhen you play games of chance, name your stake: barter, promise or particular thing and the MC will name hers. Manipulate as necessary. Roll+Weird
    on a 10+ fortune favours you
    on a 7-9 choose (number?)
    * Your opponent(s) loses with bad grace
    When you play games of chance, name your stake: barter, promise or particular thing and the MC will name hers. Manipulate as necessary. Roll+Weird
    on a 10+ fortune favours you, you win
    on a 7-9 choose 1
    * Your opponent(s) loses with bad grace (Meaning she's a bad loser?)
    * You win but arouse suspicion from onlookers, warranted or not
    * You lose with grace and make a good impression
    * You lose less than you risked or play to a draw

    On a miss you may either:
    * Act under fire to get away with cheating
    * Lose
  • edited December 2010
    I see two kinds of uses for gambling: (1) making money and (2) 'other'. 'Other' is usually manipulating someone in some way, getting them to embarrass themselves, to impoverish themselves, to give you the Millennium Falcon ... whatever.

    I'd probably make gambling for money a gig, like Gambling (1-barter/impoverished) or High-Stakes Gambling (2-barter/shut out). I mean, that's what gigs are for.

    If you're gambling with some other purpose in mind, though, the gambling is a means to an end. I'd look for a gambling move that either produces results similar to the manipulate basic move, or that modifies other moves (like, you roll to get some hold that you spend to improve subsequent rolls against the people you're gambling with).
Sign In or Register to comment.