[The Hulk] Driver - Pulse

edited January 2011 in Site Matters
DRIVER:

NAME: Pulse

Harm Status:
Pulse has suffered some bruising from gunfire impacting his armor.
Pulse has been shot in the leg by Marco

STATS: Cool=0, Hard+2, Hot-2, Sharp+2, Weird-1
Debility: Pulse has been disfigured by a severe beating to the face.

XP: (X) (X) (X) (X) ( )

MOVES:
(x) A no shit driver.
(X) Good in the clinch (roll+sharp to act under fire)
(X) Weather Eye (roll+sharp to open my brain)
( ) Daredevil
( ) Collector
(x) My other car is a tank
(X) Fuck this shit: name your escape route and roll+hard. On a 10+, sweet, you’re gone. On a 7–9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs you: leave something behind, or take something with you, the MC will tell you what. On a miss, you’re caught vulnerable, half in and half out.

GEAR:
Magnum (3-harm close reload loud)
Armored vest worth 1-armor
Oddments worth 2-barter

GRANDPA THE OSPREY: (The tank)
Is an old but well cared for and restored Osprey aircraft which once belonged to my grandpa.
Power+2, looks+1, 3*-armor, weakness+2
Grandpa is rugged, easily repaired, and muscular, but she's picky and loud.
Mounted machine guns 3-harm close/far area messy.
Picky meaning parts, ammo, and fuel can be hard to find or expensive.
Harm Status:
Grandpa has sustained proximity blast damage to glass, hull and an engine has gone out.
Grandpa has been show by small arms, further damaging her fuselage.

VANCAT:
Is a large and powerful with amazing off-road capability in the snow.
Power+2, looks+1, 1-armor, weakness+1
Vancat is a workhorse, off-road, and powerful, but she's kind of slow and leaves tracks you couldn't possibly miss.

Pulse is a man in his late 20’s, wears old jeans and sweats and shit when it’s warm enough to dress casual. Got a seriously old pilot’s leather jacket from some old war, his lucky jacket. His face is worn from a tough life out in the cold on the flats and his eyes are hard. He does look quite strong and has been known to bust a few heads. He’s got a distinctive tattoo from the flats mercenary group on the back of his hand and is missing a front tooth he says was knocked out by a bullet.

Pulse has been babysitting this helicopter, for his whole life, handed down from his dad who got it from his dad who supposedly flew it in the war. He’s been working on restoring it for years now. Grew up working for those guys out on the flats 15 years before they’d teach me to fly, two more years training, six years working scavenging and ass-kicking gigs earning enough jingle to get the parts I need to fix up grand-dads old helicopter.

Word came that Marco needed reliable drivers for his vehicles and he took the job. Finally made his way here with grandpa the osprey, been doing good since. People need to get around the hulk, safer to fly in there than out in the cold anyway. Pulse needs to keep this thing fueled and working and fighting the cold and gives him a place to live and a crew to keep an eye on grandpa while he’s out.

Also, the mechanic here can do wonders.

IMPROVEMENT:
( ) get +1cool (max cool+2)
(X) get +1hard (max hard+2)
( ) get +1hot (max hot+2)
( ) get +1weird (max weird+2)
(X) get a new driver move
(X) get a new driver move
( ) get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting
(X) get a garage (workspace, detail) and crew
(X) get a move from another playbook - Fuck This Shit
( ) get a move from another playbook
----
( ) get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
( ) retire your character (to safety)
( ) create a second character to play
( ) change your character to a new type
( ) choose 3 basic moves and advance them
( ) advance the other 4 basic moves

Comments

• Thing is I don't really want to own the HUGE FUCKING SNOW THING, i'd rather have the copter and something small and fast, but I know the holding needs something big for the snow so that just makes sense.
    Why do you need to provide this big snow thing, if you don't want it? If you're not interested in it, then don't be the guy who's driving it.
  • edited February 2012
    XP Log:
    1. Sharp, read the sitch. Pulse (And his precious little life)
    2. Sharp, read the sitch. Pulse (And his precious little life)
    3. Hard, go aggro. Pulse (And his precious little life)
    4. Sharp, read the sitch. Pulse (And his precious little life)
    5. Hard, go aggro. Pulse (And his precious little life) (Advance: +1 hard)
    6. Hard, seize by force. Pulse (And his precious little life)
    7. Sharp, searching for survivors. Pulse (And his precious little life)
    8. Hot, manipulate Marco. PULSE and Ricarra talk about Loyalty and Friendship
    9. Hard, seize by force. PULSE and Ricarra talk about Loyalty and Friendship
    10. Hx Roll-over from Marco shooting me. PULSE and Ricarra talk about Loyalty and Friendship (Advance, driver move: Good in the clinch)
    11. Hard, Go Aggro against the bug. Is this death? Or is this the hulk?
    12. Hot, Seduce Tammy. Is this death? Or is this the hulk?
    13. Sharp, Session 2 END
    14. Sharp, Session 2 END
    15. Sharp, Home Again. Act under fire to resist Lemmas' Manipulation (Advance: +1 weird)
    16. Sharp, Open my Brain as I am operated on
    17. Sharp, Read Nina in Lemmas operating chamber
    18. Sharp, Act under Fire from Chillstab
    19. Manipulated to get chillstabbed
    20. Help Veronica cross the burning hangar
    21. Fly grandpa through difficult times
    22. Open my brain in the manufactory
    23. Help Veronica talk to the guys by the jeep
    24. Help Veronica Manipulate
    25. Sharp. Read the Sitch
    26. Sharp. Open my brain
    27. Sharp. Act under fire to get Marilyn'
    38. Helping Veronica (Failing to)
    39. Act under fire to drive
  • Not in my playbook but I'd really like to start with 1-armor. I've seen a lot of action and it just makes sense.

Oh, think I'll drop the big ground vehicle, it's starting to sound less useful in the context of spending most of our time in the ship and hell, I can fly.
    Still buying the "My other car is a tank" move to justify the heavy and armored (helicopter? Osprey, I'll decide) but need to decide what the #1 vehicle is.

Maybe I got a backup bird? Am I just a pilot?
  • Remove a starting barter for the armor if it seems more fair?
  • edited January 2011
    You could carry a small vehicle in the Osprey. That thing, the Growler or whatever ... this ... is actually specifically designed for that, a bit smaller than a standard jeep. Or you could transport some kind of snowmobile or small ATV. You could fly someplace, in the ship or out, land, and then take the transported vehicle out to get down smaller tunnels or to get around town.

Follow the playbook. If you want armor, you can always go shopping early on. But the playbook doesn't start with it because drivers aren't really designed to be running around at the front of a fight - when you're in a vehicle, the vehicle usually has 1 or 2 armor for itself, and the people inside essentially get another +1 armor beyond that because the vehicle's body stops some of the harm. And that's before any armor you might pick up in game.
  • edited January 2011
    Removed: No longer relevant.
  • edited January 2011
    Your vehicles are your vehicles ... if you want a ground vehicle, take it as one of your vehicles, or you'll have to buy/find/build one in play. The things in the driver playbook (tanks excepted) are nothing special. They're identical to any other basic vehicle. If I, as a GM, want to stat out a pickup truck, I go to these rules.
  • You mean, stole the Osprey from the raiders you used to work for?
  • Yes, that sound interesting? Not my friends no more then huh?
  • I'll just drive the savvyheads salvage vehicle I guess.
  • Posted By: Michael LoyYour vehicles are your vehicles ... if you want a ground vehicle, take it as one of your vehicles, or you'll have to buy/find/build one in play. The things in the driver playbook (tanks excepted) are nothing special. They're identical to any other basic vehicle. If I, as a GM, want to stat out a pickup truck, I go to these rules.
    I'll have to decide if it's worth it to have two flyers then, maybe not.

In any case, having stolen the vehicle (whichever one.. how do I steal two aircraft anyway? :-) ) from the raiders I grew up with sounds cool. Probably there was an incident and a falling out leading to my up and stealing the thing and leaving, not just out of the blue I stole the thing, so the conflict goes beyond the theft.. the theft is the RESULT of the conflict.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, Lemma does have a ... trucky little thing. And the hold would have a few vehicles of some kind, under Marco's control. But none of that is yours, so you'd only be able to use them at someone else's sufferance. So, yes, it's up to you whether you want to start with something of your own or not.
  • edited January 2011
    REMOVED POST
  • If it can have the utility of taking the savvyheads vehicle to the site, that's reason enough to go with the Osprey. My Shadowhawk would easily fit inside if need be.
    So I take you and your salvage vehicle/crew to the site, where you truck around the general area with your gear. Truck belongs to the hold of course. :-)
  • Google says:
    Shadow Hawk Vehicles' series of vehicles are what the world has been missing. ... They are neither car nor truck...they are Super Terrain Vehicles.
    Riiight. But sure, you can have one. What are its stats?
  • So, you grew up with these raiders/mercenaries on the flats, learned to fly with them, did some raiding ... but eventually something came to a head, and you ran off with one of their best birds.

First! That place is named Thule. I googled for air bases in that area, and this one is both correctly placed and has an awesome name.

Second! Do you work for Marco, like you're part of his gang and you run salvage and transport missions on his orders? Or are you an independent operator, with your own garage and all?
  • Posted By: Michael LoyRiiight. But sure, you can have one. What are its stats?
    Yeah if they ever actually manufacture one I'll be amazed, but they're apparently made to order for like $2million. Likely I have the only one. Anyway I just wanted something a little future-ish but not too crazy, thing just looks unusual and I like the low profile for making its way through the tighter spaces in the hulk. It can drive under anything I can walk under with room to spare. And the wheels rise up which is good for snow in a pinch. And I wanted something which actually seems fast, not a big ponderous snowcat or something.

Yeah.... it's a BS product but only 10% outside reality. (Funny we have to pause and question the reality of a near-future vehicle concept when talking about driving around in a psychic crashed spaceship... but I do that too) :-)

Its stats:

SHADOWHAWK:
    Is a slick and low profile ATV with amazing off-road capability.
    Power+2, looks+1, 1-armor, weakness+1
    Shadowhawk is fast, aggressive, and sleek, but she's cramped. It's actually pretty large inside but I live in the thing so it's half-full of my gear.
  • Posted By: Michael LoySo, you grew up with these raiders/mercenaries on the flats, learned to fly with them, did some raiding ... but eventually something came to a head, and you ran off with one of their best birds.
    Pretty much covers it. The bird WAS my dads and previously my grand-dads, but after dad passed the raiders who always went along with that started treating it as theirs and taking me and the Osprey for granted. Became less and less MY craft and more and more theirs. Constantly had to fight this battle but they needed me, I'm the only one left who can fly her.

So what happened? They ordered me to train a new pilot. This punk named Flynn. Clear they were going to replace me, probably kill me soon as he had it down. Flynn never learned what it's like to fly, but from about 15,000 feet up he learned how to fall. I never went back. He was the kid of one of the gang leaders, too. (Name?) They probably never found the body but I'm sure they've seen the Osprey flying by, got to grind on them, that.
  • Posted By: Michael LoySecond! Do youworkfor Marco, like you're part of his gang and you run salvage and transport missions on his orders? Or are you an independent operator, with your own garage and all?
    Think I work for Marco. Don't know if I'm part of his gang so much but along side it. Certainly transport them if need be, the Osprey can carry a good 4 squads of his men, and fast. I rely on the use of the manufactory for repairs, parts, ammo, stuff like that. And by myself I probably can't even keep the thing fueled without doing a lot of dirty work. I need him.

Certainly transport Lemma around, figure that's a regular gig. Scout for scavengers, transport the squads in time of battle.
  • Posted By: octoscottShadowhawk is fast, aggressive, and sleek, but she's cramped.
    I don't see off-road in that list of tags...
  • Hmm yeah maybe I better. Fast & off-road.
  • Think I found a better vehicle... much more appropriate to the apocalypse I think... and REAL!
    Posted By: octoscottimage
    Whaddya think... better?
  • I think it's rad. What are you going to do with it?
  • It's cool. I imagine it has different tags ... that doesn't look 'fast' or 'sleek' too me. It also certainly won't fit in the Osprey, but you could hook it up and have the Osprey carry it in a sling or whatever when you need to transport it somewhere.

Do you actually live in one of your vehicles? Or do you live like Marco's other men, in the barracks or whatever?
  • Yeah I'll change it.... damn thing is real and about $30k. Called the "Vancat"
    I'm going to live in this thing, was writing up a little background. (Hey, I'll post what I got so far)

---

Pulse lives in a separated section of the hulk near the main access from the manufactory to the exterior. This area is nice and flat, wide, good for vehicle access. His Osprey is on a deck just above accessed by a large angular ramp and a couple man-sized ladders. It rises through a huge portion of the scar and is pretty well hidden inside. With some effort it can be wheeled totally out of sight back into a hangar like area, during the worst weather.

Generally he sleeps in the vancat, it's got plenty of room for my important gear and to sleep. Long years sleeping on the road as a raider ha made him comfortable in the space of the car, plenty of room for company, too.

The Osprey has much more room but its all-metal interior tends to get cold inside and the open space makes Pulse uncomfortable.
  • I assume there's some degree of security in the area so I don't need to constantly fear that every day people will wander into the area while I'm away. Even so I'd like it to be securely locked up and especially difficult to access the interior of the armored aircraft.
  • Well, Marco doubtless has a few other vehicles. The area can just be a common motorpool, and presumably guarded.
  • Sounds good.
  • edited January 2011
    Who're you fucking?

-edit- Actually, forget it. I'll fold that question into your opening scene.
  • edited January 2011
    Heh, I look forward to it. Sure the vancat is nice and squeaky when it's rockin.