[The Hulk] Marshmallow (The Brainer)

edited January 2011 in Out-Of-Game

Marshmallow the Brainer

Abstraction:
Harm:

cool+2 hard=0 hot-1 sharp+2 weird+3

Transgressing, High formal wear, sweet face, caring eyes, slight body

Casual brain receptivity: when you read someone, roll+weird instead of roll+sharp. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact

Direct-brain whisper projection: you can roll+weird to get the effects of going aggro, without going aggro. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact. If your victim forces your hand, your mind counts as a weapon (1-harm ap close loud-optional).

In-brain puppet strings: when you have time and physical intimacy with someone — again, mutual or 1-sided — you can plant a command inside their mind. Roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. At your will, no matter the circumstances, you can spend your hold 1 for 1:
• inflict 1-harm (ap)
• they take -1 right now
If they fulfill your command, that counts for all your remaining hold. On a miss, you inflict 1-harm (ap) upon your subject, to no benefit.

Preternatural at-will brain attunement: you get +1weird (weird+3)

Perfect instincts: when you’ve read a charged situation and you’re acting on the MC’s answers, take +2 instead of +1.

wealth: if your holding is secure and your rule unchallenged, at the beginning of a session, roll+hard. On a 10+ you have surplus at hand and available for the needs of the session. on a 7-9, you have surplus but choose 1 want. On a miss, or if your hold is compromised or your rule contested, your hold is in want. The precise values of your surplus and want depend on your holding...

Charismatic: When you try to manipulate someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot.

Instant brain-to-brain thought transmission: You can speak into the mind of anyone who can see you, communicating as with speech, but privately and over any distance.

Gear: silenced 9mm; brain relay - a shiny jade-colored shard of some alien substance about three feet long and six inches wide at the middle and weighing only about six kg; receptivity drugs; 5B oddments; several fine dresses in different styles, undergarments, shoes, hats, makeup and accessories -- also a stiff, synthetic, white insulated cover-all with pink trim for out-of-doors wear (1 armor);

I was born here on The Hulk. But I'm only 22.

There's no angst involved. Marshmallow isn't a woman trapped in a man's body or anything -- he just really digs womens' clothing. It's way better than men's wear! And women are so much hotter than men -- why wouldn't you want to emulate them?

Sharing a suite of rooms on the edge of the hulk with Lemma, is a delight -- she's always got something crazy to talk about! She's a doll; I'm the luckiest man on the ice-shelf. I've recently started hoping that we can have kids -- I'm sure I'd be a great father and it would be fine to have little ones running around.

Our apartment is fronted with a facade attached to the exterior of the ship at a portal-point that leads to a few small rooms off a corridor. We have a lab that Lemma uses in her explorations of various esoteric sciences and I make a compound that lets me get deeper under people's eyes. we have some rooms with medical exam tables and restraints, as well.

Improvement:
experience: (x) (x) (x) (x) (.)
_X_ get +1cool (max cool+2)
___ get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
_X_ get +1hard (max hard+2)
_X_ get +1hard (max hard+2)
_X_ get a new brainer move
_X_ get a new brainer move
___ get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting
_X_ get a holding (detail) and wealth
_X_ get a move from another playbook (perfect instincts)
_X_ get a move from another playbook (charismatic -- manipulate w/ weird)
----------------------
___ get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
___ retire your character (to safety)
_X_ create a second character to play
___ change your character to a new type
_X_ choose 3 basic moves and advance them. (act under fire, read a person, open your brain)
_X_ advance the other 4 basic moves.
---------------------
_X_ add a custom move (Instant brain-to-brain thought transmission)
___ add a custom move ()
___ add a custom move ()

For my reference:

SP IDplayer nameplaybookcharacter name
Christopher WeeksChrisBrainerMarshmallow
Max BMaxSavvyheadLemma
octoscottScottDriverPulse
Brendan ConwayBrendanHardholderMarco
RustinRustinAngelSetter
History:
session 1
LEMMA and MARSHMALLOW's day off
The Black Tower
Love Letter
Dear LEMMA and MARSHMALLOW:
session 2
Life + Death
Lemma and Veronica's Day Off
The Manufactory (closed for business)

I'm holding 3 against the manufactory who must obey this puppet-string: Henceforth, you will open for me, at my will -- or when I command with this vocalization: "Open!" and you will close at my will or when I command with this vocalization: "Close!"

I'm holding 2 against Snuffy who must obey me and Lemma in all things forever.

Comments

• Absolutely. Do the kids get their stats from the characters? Those'll be weird children.
  • Buying little shoes ... building a little crib ... adding life support to the workspace ...
  • edited January 2011
    So, you're a foreman. Sounds like Marco lets you run the place as you like, within reason. It also sounds like you have, hell, a hundred people working under you? Maybe not quite that, but a lot of people. Some of them implanted and running the machines, most of the others doing manual labor, I guess.

Main problems here: workplace injury and workplace insanity.

How do you run this show? Do you have any particularly special overseers/workers/etc I should know about before we start?

Also, I'm curious where you keep your brain probe/relay, and if you have any day-to-day use for it.
  • Brain probe might be at the center of the workplace where all the worker-plugs can see it, lets you manage them even when away. (Just a thought)
  • No, the organization is entirely flat and egalitarian. And I'm not their boss. As I mentioned in Marco's thread, they're paid piece-rate and free to go if they can get a better deal somewhere else. And sometimes people just need a vacation from the interface...that's fine. Marco calls me a foreman, but I act like an occupational therapist. Really, all my moves allow is for me to read minds and compel people under thread of psychic trauma. I'm not *really* equipped for the job that's been outlined, but hey, I do my best. I occasionally use my relay at work -- leaving it near a group of troubled or troublesome engineers so that I can check up on them, but mostly not -- the risk of having it ripped off is too great. Mostly I keep it in a knapsack. Also, I'll occasionally use my receptivity drugs on an employee -- a casual shoulder rub during an inspirational speech is an effective delivery opportunity.
  • I just took In-brain puppet strings (I haven't been great about announcing my xp in-thread, I'll try to get more consistent with that. I forget about it too often.)
  • Oh, shit.

YOU USE THAT SHIT ON ME, AND I WILL...I'LL...um...

It appears that my brain has been melted. Well-played, sir. Well-played indeed.
  • When I open my brain:

Opening my brain is a kind of subtle and almost entirely auditory experience. A faint buzzing coalesces into a broken-rhythm humming that breaks into a clunking that reminds me of the sound of the manufactory from a ways away. And then it fades out; backwards to how it came on. I have to pay some attention to it because there are other noises encoded in the phenomenon. Sometimes voices. Sometimes other series of noises that somehow cause me to imagine things. I'm really not sure what the deal is. Once, on a fairly deep expedition into the hulk, I opened my brain and experienced visual hallucinations -- it was like a swarm of red flies were moving in a shifting pattern, so complex that I couldn't make it out, but I was sure it wasn't random. It was analogous to what the noises do, i think, and then they just sort of revealed a way to open a portal that our team was investigating.
  • Just took Preternatural at-will brain attunement.
  • Probably about to come in handy, what with the at-will augury and all.
  • I just took +1 cool.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm considering taking something from the following list of moves. Some of these are from playbooks that we have in play. Please let me know if you think that would impede your shtick.

(Quarantine) Eager to know: when you go to someone for advice, they must tell you honestly what they think the best course is. If you pursue that course, take +1 to any rolls you make in the pursuit. If you pursue that course but don’t accomplish your ends, you mark experience.

(BattleBabe) Visions of death: when you go into battle, roll+weird. On a 10+, name one person who’ll die and one who’ll live. On a 7–9, name one person who’ll die OR one person who’ll live. Don’t name a player’s character; name NPCs only. ?e MC will make your vision come true, if it’s even remotely possible. On a miss, you foresee your own death, and accordingly take -1 throughout the battle.
    (BattleBabe) Perfect instincts: when you’ve read a charged situation and you’re acting on the MC’s answers, take +2 instead of +1.

(Gunlugger) Prepared for the inevitable: you have a well-stocked and high-quality first aid kit. It counts as an angel kit (cf) with a capacity of 2-stock.

(Hocus) Charismatic: when you try to manipulate someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot.
    (Hocus) Seeing souls: when you help or interfere with someone, roll+weird instead of roll+Hx.

(Savvyhead) Bonefeel: at the beginning of the session, roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 1+1. On a 7–9, hold 1. At any time, either you or the MC can spend your hold to have you already be there, with the proper tools and knowledge, with or without any clear explanation why. If your hold was 1+1, take +1forward now. On a miss, the MC holds 1, and can spend it to have you already be there, but somehow pinned, caught or trapped.
    (Savvyhead) Oftener right: when a character comes to you for advice, tell them what you honestly think the best course is. If they do it, they take +1 to any rolls they make in the doing, and you mark an experience circle.

(Skinner) Lost: when you whisper someone’s name to the world’s psychic maelstrom, roll+weird. On a hit, they come to you, with or without any clear explanation why. On a 10+, take +1forward against them. On a miss, the MC will ask you 3 questions; answer them truthfully.

I've also got the Broodmother extended card thing made by JayWalt (inspired by this character, actually!) but it's not done, so once I have it more solid, I'll share and we'll see if it's acceptable and a direction I want to go.
  • I was thinking of taking Lost, but if you want it, go nuts, I just think it'd be nice for one of us to have it. I really want to see Bonefeel get used, but it doesn't seem like Lemma at all, so have at it if you want. I also don't foresee wanting to take Oftener Right, so have fun.
  • I just took perfect instincts.
  • edited June 2011
    I just took a small holding and wealth.

I think the holding most makes sense like this:

- 60-80 souls
    - gigs: manufactory, weapons trade, scavenging, crude farming, and minor trade (surplus: 3-barter, want: anxiety & idle)
    - a small compound
    - the people depend entirely on me for their lives and needs want +desperation

Yeah? Maybe the last one should be owing protection tribute to the old gunners?
  • Wah. I didn't even see this. Mention when you make an edit that important!

Sounds good. The weakness works fine as is. If you want to pay tribute to the Gunners (or the so-called government) that would also work. I think the government will be coming to Guntown next session, so choosing not to pay tribute to them, or to them through the Gunners, would be an interesting choice! It would, as they say, "drive play".
  • I think I'll leave it as not paying tribute. It seems like the gunners are falling apart and there might not be enough of them left to pay off. Also, I think there's some chance that I/we will try to come to dominate them too.
  • edited June 2011
    Recommendation: either pick up a leadership move, or pick up Frenzy, or make a point of spiking your little hold's water supply with brainer drugs. Marshmallow just isn't very good at dealing with large numbers of people, like in this hold he's founding.

On the other hand, maybe that's part of the fun!
  • I've just advanced act under fire, read a person, open your brain.
  • All fine options. I suppose I should think about what might be beyond the maelstrom, then.
  • I just took Charismatic from the Hocus and avanced the other four moves. I was saving up for boosting hard, but I guess I made a decision.
  • edited August 2011
    I just took +1 hard.
  • (And were you offering telepathy as a custom advanced brainer-move? What would it look like?)
    Probably a semi-freebie deal, where you spend an improvement without actually marking any improvement box, and it'd be maybe "Anyone who can see you, you can speak into their minds telepathically, communicating as with speech, but privately and over any distance."

I could also see advancing character moves (like advancing basic moves). Maybe In-Brain Puppet Strings gets the advancement: "While you have hold over them, you can speak into their mind telepathically, at your will, no matter the circumstances."

Casual Brain Receptivity, Direct-Brain Whisper Projection, and Charismatic are really already advanced, since they're sort of stat sub moves. Perfect Instincts doesn't really lend itself to advancement.
  • I like that first option. I'd buy that, delaying my purchase of the next +1 hard.
  • edited November 2011
    And I'll close the door -- brain whispering or telepathy if I've bought it (I think I'm waiting on more comments from you in my character thread).
    I was unaware that you had an improvement to spend. But sure:
    Instant brain-to-brain thought transmission: You can speak into the mind of anyone who can see you, communicating as with speech, but privately and over any distance.
    Note that this is transmission, not reception. Though Casual Brain Receptivity can cover some of the other half of it. I think you can speak to multiple people simultaneously, if you so choose.
  • Cool, I'll take that.
  • edited December 2011
    Posted By: Michael LoyHow does your charismatic move work, Marshmallow? How is it different from normal manipulation (for you, for the subject)? I'm trying to determine if it's something Charmer can interfere with, or if it just happens to use Weird.
    So, I haven't thought about this too much. The only consideration I gave it is that the way that Lemma's attracted to me, to my weirdness, that's something that I didn't know how to capitalize on until recently. I was just pretty unhot and that was that. But by taking Charismatic, I was figuring out how to show off my weird in a good light and use that instead of what people normally use to convince and befriend one another. And I certainly didn't captivate Lemma with psychic powers. I like to think of ours as a true partnership.

So I'm leaning on it being entirely non-psychic-powerish and more like, instead of applying normal rules to social interaction, I captivate people with my excitement over odd subjects and bring out their inner weird and I can geek out with them over their things too.

Does that sound all reasonable?
  • Yup, that's fine. Because it's +weird doesn't mean it has to be psychic. Just means it's weird.