[The Hulk - S2 Mailbag] Dear MARCO

edited February 2011 in In-Game
Dear Marco:

Well Marco, drama aside, you've got a hold to run, right? Fortunately, it's not that difficult a task at the moment. You have reasonable fuel reserves, the eternal problem of disease remains under control, and the people have plenty of whale for their bellies. Good! You have other things on your plate right now, anyway.

You got a chance to talk to Partridge, who's representing her ship's captain in an attempt to negotiate getting arms for the ship's crew. She explains why readily enough: piracy, it seems.

Whaleships, like Partridges, usually aren't very heavily armed. The only serious gun the crew has is Partridge's own assault rifle, which she apparently uses mainly on killer whales, walruses. (When agitated, the animals can be vicious, and they sometimes go after launches.) Arms have been generally held as unnecessary, since practically every ship out on the sea hails from Gams Landing ... but it seems that is no longer the case.

There've been distress signals, suddenly cut off. The remains of burned ships found down in the Davis Strait. It's not a truly pressing danger yet, but Partridge makes a good case for being ready, just in case. While the case might otherwise have required more evidence, the column of smoke on the horizon says it's really just good sense.

Do you send her home happy, or not? If you do, take 2-barter now and 2-barter later, beyond your operating expenses. Or a middle ground: tell her you'll have to think about it, or negotiate further. Whatever, you're the boss here.

Beyond that, a few matters demand your attention:

• How did you react when you heard that Lady Franklin was burning? Did you alter anything around the hold, or are you sticking to business as usual for the moment? Are you laying down rules about fuel use?

• By now, you've heard about a couple undesirables in Guntown: Ricarra (from Thule) and Preen (who claims to be from Honeycomb). You heard about Ricarra right off, from Roark, and there was already a squad looking around for her on general principle. You heard about Preen later, I guess from Pulse, possibly corroborated by Marshmallow. Do you do anything particular about them?

• All that in consideration, how long did it take you to talk to Partridge?

• And what about those catatonic Adventists sitting in the alleyway behind Pinto's?

Other than that, is there anything else on your mind? Orders to give, proclamations to hand out? If not, that's it for now!

Love and Kisses, your MC.

P.S. Setter seems to have basically moved into the Tower. Some of your men are helping her, making room and contributing to set up an infirmary in the room you'd assigned to Holiday's care. This isn't exactly what you'd had in mind ... is it a problem? Do you interfere? Help?

Comments

• (For Partridge: Is there any way I can retroactively read her, so as to figure out if she was telling the truth? That's really my only concern. If she was telling the truth, then I agree to the deal. If not, then obviously not.)
    Posted By: Michael Loy
    • How did you react when you heard that Lady Franklin was burning? Did you alter anything around the hold, or are you sticking to business as usual for the moment? Are you laying down rules about fuel use?
    I try to restrict non-essential fuel usage, where "essential" is defined as "for survival purposes". This means that I might still use a vehicle, or my men might use a vehicle, in instances of outright danger. But otherwise, we won't. I'm trying to conserve fuel, without unduly disrupting the functioning of Guntown, basically.
    Posted By: Michael Loy• By now, you've heard about a couple undesirables in Guntown: Ricarra (from Thule) and Preen (who claims to be from Honeycomb). You heard about Ricarra right off, from Roark, and there was already a squad looking around for her on general principle. You heard about Preen later, I guess from Pulse, possibly corroborated by Marshmallow. Do you do anything particular about them?
    Yeah. Gather 'em up. Talk to 'em. Make sure they know to follow the rules, and if they don't, they're dead. If they are okay with that, I let 'em back into Guntown. Otherwise, I shoot 'em.
    Posted By: Michael Loy• All that in consideration, how long did it take you to talk to Partridge?
    Not too long. She probably explained her case. If she was telling the truth, I sell her the guns. If not, I don't, and I send her away. Shouldn't have been too long.
    Posted By: Michael Loy• And what about those catatonic Adventists sitting in the alleyway behind Pinto's?
    I'm having someone go out and gather them up. If Setter's in the Tower, then I'll have them brought to her, she can look at them.
    Posted By: Michael LoyP.S. Setter seems to have basically moved into the Tower. Some of your men are helping her, making room and contributing to set up an infirmary in the room you'd assigned to Holiday's care. This isn't exactly what you'd had in mind ... is it a problem? Do you interfere? Help?
    I've got no problem with it. A good medic is a hard thing to find in this world. If it keeps the men happy and healthy, I have no problem. As long as Setter doesn't cause any trouble, and follows my orders. And as long as the men who are helping her are not doing so at the dereliction of their other duties.
    Posted By: Michael LoyOther than that, is there anything else on your mind? Orders to give, proclamations to hand out?
    I think I want to make sure the guard (of the perimeter) is at least somewhat enforced. Probably means longer, overlapping shifts for the Gunners. And I want ingoing and outgoing traffic more thoroughly searched. (Which probably means, search it, considering that I don't know that we searched it at all before.) If it's a boat just sitting at the dock, you don't have to search it. But if they're carrying stuff up into Guntown, then that stuff is getting searched.
  • edited February 2011
    • Eh. Partridge was telling you the truth. You read her. She wasn't lying.

• Give me a Leadership check to bring in Ricarra and Preen, since each of them will fight rather than be brought in. They aren't up to any good in Guntown, after all.

This is kind of a bastardization of Leadership, so call it a love letter move. They aren't together, so they'll need to be brought in separately: It's a hard advance to capture one of them and another hard advance to capture the other one. If you get them, but you don't make your men show mercy, they'll be in very bad shape ... maybe not in good enough shape to answer questions.

When (if) you spend hold to make a hard advance, the squad you've detailed finds their target but runs into trouble. Ricarra has a nice little smg on her, and Preen ... well, he doesn't appear to be armed, but he could have anything in that valise of his. Either one, s/he barricades into a shack and will need some work to chivvy out. They send runners to report in while they surround the places.

If you want to get down to the nitty-gritty, issuing orders and rolling to seize by force for each hard advance, you can. More chances for things to go wrong that way, but you'd be able to 'suffer little harm' to your squads. Or you can just leave it to the squad bosses' discretion.
  • Posted By: Michael Loy• Eh. Partridge was telling you the truth. You read her. She wasn't lying.
    Got it. So, yeah, I totally make the deal. 2-barter now, 2-barter later, you said, right? This impermanent barter, a la wealth, or permanent?
    Posted By: Michael Loy• Give me a Leadership check to bring in Ricarra and Preen, since each of them will fight rather than be brought in. They aren't up to any good in Guntown, after all.
    Leadership for Ricarra:

#DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )

Leadership for Preen:

#DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )

(xp 3 & 4)
  • I just realized I may have misunderstood what you wanted. I think you may have wanted only one roll. If so, I would say take the lower one, obviously. But they have the same net effect. I'll just reduce my XP by 1 if you say I should've rolled only once.

If I should've rolled only once, then I spend my hold to:
    - make a hard advance (capture Ricarra)
    - make a hard advance (capture Preen)
    - show mercy to defeated enemies

If I should've rolled twice, then each one will probably be:
    - make a hard advance (capture the target)
    - show mercy to defeated enemies
    - stand strong against a hard advance
  • edited February 2011
    Oh, one more question: What has happened to Pierre's body?

Partridge's initial 2-barter payment is real, in-your-hands barter, in the form of some valuable vegetable extracts. You'll get another 2-barter later, probably the next time we jump over some time. That will be barter from your holding, treated like that from Wealth (since that will be the extra profit garnered from the actual trade).

Roll leadership once. And actually, I'd say you take the first roll, not the lowest. But, yeah, it doesn't matter. Remember, though:
    If you want to get down to the nitty-gritty, issuing orders and rolling to seize by force for each hard advance, you can. More chances for things to go wrong that way, but you'd be able to 'suffer little harm' for your squads. Or you can just leave it to the squad bosses' discretion.
    For the moment, I assume that you leave it at the squad bosses' discretion, and I will describe accordingly. If you want to get in there and directly supervise those hard advances, using your squads as weapons, roll it (and describe your actions/orders) and I'll cheerfully revise as much as is necessary. A miss on a seize by force (or maybe a go aggro, depending) would probably mean that your squad takes harm in the exchange, but the target gets away.

You'd held the bus back from departing for a little while while you talked to Partridge, and then you were putting men on searching ingoing and outgoing traffic. The Gunners conducting the search spotted Ricarra slipping away (they'd had a description of her by then), and they noted at that time that she was making her escape along with another man. Later, you were able to match their description of the man to Pulse's description of Preen.

The Gunners put in effort to track down Ricarra just then, but she gave them the slip, and she and Preen laid low for days, you guess hiding somewhere in the Outskirts. There are only a few routes out of Guntown, but there are all kinds of little hiding places within it.

At some point, they must have gone separate ways, because you captured Ricarra alone, trying to get out of Guntown on foot. Ula's squad was on extended night shift, and they spotted her skulking around the motor pool. There was a brief exchange of fire, and Ricarra holed up in Dredge's office. Ula sent a runner to report in at the Tower, and then she and her squad stormed the place.

- Ricarra ran out of rounds in her smg pretty quickly, and they dragged her out of there with a bullet lodged in her leg, right up against a cracked bone. Actually, the location was a nice mirror for Pulse's recent 'accident'.

- Ula's squad took some hits when Ricarra opened up with that smg. No fatalities and mostly minor injuries, but Ula was at the front, and she caught a bullet right in the fucking head and it's a miracle she didn't die then and there. But the round glanced off of her skull or something, and she'll at least live, though she's missing part of her ear. We'll see what Setter says about her.

Pinto tipped you off about Preen. Apparently Preen's been holed up in Pinto's labyrinthine flophouse all week, and Pinto finally got nervous enough to fess up. He claims he only just realized that his quiet guest was someone you were looking for. But Preen didn't want to get caught, you guess. When you got the tip-off, Balls' squad went to fetch him, and you're still not exactly sure what happened then:

- He locked up in his room, and the squad took half a minute to bust down the flimsy door. After that, well ... of the five-man squad, only Lala was in any shape to report back, and that was because she was at the back of the squad, so she didn't see everything. It seems like he had a couple of grenades with him, and he tried to kamikaze when the squad broke into the room.

- Half the squad is dead, Balls included, and Rufe and Fleece are both seriously wounded. We'll have to ask Setter how those two are doing.

- Lala will be fine: she got clipped by a bit of shrapnel, and she was a little concussed when you were talking to her, but she really just needs some rest. She'll get away with just a little scar, there above her eyebrow.

- Preen was somehow still alive, and Krin and Newton showed some good restraint when their squads showed up on the scene, after. They elected to try to save his life and bring him to the Tower, and Setter will tell us what his present condition is.
  • edited February 2011
    Right, I brought Pierre's body back cause I thought Marco would want to "bury" him or whatever we do... crevasse him? properly.

If there was too much time involved, strap the thing to the cargo door and bring him back frozen.
  • I won't ask Setter about anyone until I'm sure you don't mean to personally supervise these moves.
  • Your description works fine for me. That's what happened.

I think that I wasn't imagining these guys to be too difficult for my Gunners to bring in. After all, they were isolated, and my Gunners were on home turf, well-armed, ready, well-trained. I thought I could easily lead it up to squad leaders.

I do not like torture. I try not to go in for it. But I would be lying if I said I did not feel its siren call.

Perhaps Preen shall be an experiment?

Regardless, they're all Setter's now.

Pierre, yeah, we crevasse him. Not a terribly ornate ritual, and only people who knew him or cared would show up. But we wrap the body in some kind of cloth, tie it up, and then dump it in the Crevasse. I say a few words.

"Pierre wasn't my son. But he was a son of Guntown, and that was more than enough. I will miss him. We will all miss him."

I choose not to give him the gruff silence or words of rebuke that I give to those who hurt or injure Guntown. I don't know if that's what he was, though thanks to Pulse I have my suspicions.
  • Ok, it's in Setter's hands now. If there's someone in particular whom you feel can be allowed to die, or who you most particularly want to live ... well, tell Setter.