[Island] Rhyme

edited April 2011 in Out-Of-Game

image image

Rhyme
Cool+1, Hard+3, Hot+2*, Sharp+1*, Weird-1
Current Barter: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Current XP (36): [-] [-] [-] [ ] [ ]

A young man (24 or 25 years) dressed in comfort wear, with a still body, a striking face, and clear eyes.

A token of hope (a symbol of the future that is only now becoming possible), a hunting rifle (2-harm far loud), a big knife (2-harm hand), a camouflage jacket of bullet-proof fabric (1-armor). [1-barter]

- History -
Brick+2, Gabe+1, Merry+1, Pity-1, Sundown=0
Touchstone special: if you and another character have sex, if you love them, all’s well and my blessings. If you don’t love them, permanently scribble out an improvement option you haven’t taken. Don’t scribble out “change your character to a new type.”
When you go among people, offering hope, they respond by giving you food, shelter, companionship, trust, and any small thing you need, worth 1-barter or less, generously or grudgingly according to their nature.

When you go among people, exploiting their hope, they respond by giving you food, shelter, companionship, trust, any small thing you need, or even straight-up jingle, worth 1- or 2-barter. They won’t suffer you forever.

When you go among people, acting with hope, they respond by spreading your name everywhere they go, to everyone they meet, with admiration, revulsion, fear, or contempt, according to their nature.
When you do something under fire, or dig in to endure fire, on a 12+, you transcend the danger, the pressure, the possibility of harm. You do what you set out to do, and the MC will offer you a better outcome, true beauty, or a moment of grace.

When you try to seduce or manipulate someone, on a 12+, only if they’re an NPC, they do it, and furthermore you change their nature. Choose one of the following; tell the MC to erase their threat type altogether and write it in instead.
• ally: friend (impulse: to back you up)
• ally: lover (impulse: to give you shelter & comfort)
• ally: right hand (impulse: to follow through on your intentions)
• ally: representative (impulse: to pursue your interests in your absence)
• ally: guardian (impulse: to intercept danger)
• ally: confidante (impulse: to give you advice, perspective, or absolution)

When you try to seize something by force, or to secure your hold on something, on a 12+, you get all 4 options, plus choose 1 for double effect.
Hypnotic: when you have time and solitude with someone, they become fixated upon you. Roll+hot. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. They can spend your hold, 1 for 1, by:
• giving you something you want
• acting as your eyes and ears
• fighting to protect you
• doing something you tell them to
For NPCs, while you have hold over them they can’t act against you. For PCs, instead, any time you like you can spend your hold, 1 for 1:
• they distract themselves with the thought of you. They’re acting under fire.
• they inspire themselves with the thought of you. They take +1 right now.
On a miss, they hold 2 over you, on the exact same terms.
• Pity: 3 hold [-] [-] [ ]
• Sundown: 3 hold [ ] [ ] [ ]
Indomitable: when you go into battle, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1forward. During the battle you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
• name an npc within your reach. You kill, disable or disarm them (MC’s choice).
• name a character within your reach. You redirect their attack to another character within your reach, or else to nowhere — into the ground or a wall or the sky.
• name a character on the scene, but outside your reach. You cross the distance between you before they have time to adjust or react.
• name a character within your reach. While you keep fighting, you intercept any attack directed at them and they suffer no harm.
• ignore all harm to yourself from an incoming attack.
Know your enemy: when you open your brain to the world’s psychic maelstrom, roll+hard instead of roll+weird.
Lead by example: word of your exploits proceeds [sic] you. When you mark XP, hold 1. Both you and the MC can spend your hold 1-for-1 to make someone do the following, without you even having to ask:
• tell you what's going on here.
• give you something or do something for you that they think you want, possibly involving personal risk.
• stand with you and/or back up your play.
• fight alongside you (can be bought multiple times to temporarily form or enlarge a gang).
If your target is a PC, treat it as if you rolled 10+ on seduce or manipulate. The implicit leverage is that you are going to change things and they stand to benefit from it, as long as they play their cards right.
Leadership: when your gang fights for you, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. Over the course of the fight, spend your hold 1 for 1 to make your gang:
• make a hard advance
• stand strong against a hard advance
• make an organized retreat
• show mercy to their defeated enemies
• fight and die to the last
On a miss, your gang turns on you or tries to hand you over to your enemy.
Touched by Death: whenever someone in your care dies, you get +1weird (max +3).
Towering Presence: when you give someone an order or a warning, roll+hard. On a hit, they choose:
• They do it, following your order or heeding your warning.
• They freeze.
• They back away, hands where you can see them.
• They attack you.
On a 10+, take +1forward against them as well. On a miss, they do what they like and you take -1forward against them.
Visionary: when you share your vision of the future with another player's character, roll+hard. On a 10+, hold 3 over them. On a 7-9, hold 2 over them. Whenever you like, you can spend your hold, 1 for 1, to have them mark experience. On a miss, they hold 1 over you, on the same terms.
• Sundown: 3 hold [-] [-] [ ]
[-] get +1hard (max hard+3)
[ ] get +1cool (max cool+2)
[-] get +1hot (max hot+2)
[-] get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
[-] get a new touchstone move (indomitable)
[-] get a new touchstone move (towering presence)
[-] get followers (detail) and fortunes
[-] get a gang (detail) and leadership
[-] get a move from another playbook (hypnotic)
[-] get a move from another playbook (touched by death)

[ ] get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
[ ] retire your character (to safety)
[-] create a second character to play (Pandora)
[ ] change your character to a new type
[-] choose 3 basic moves and advance them
[ ] advance the other 4 basic moves

Comments

• edited February 2012
    The Lifeguards
    2-harm gang medium rich 1-armor (vulnerable:desertion)

• It consists of 30 or so violent bastards with scavenged and makeshift weapons and armor,
    • it's self-sufficient,
    • and it's loose-knit.

Thirty or so men and women, most of them pretty young. Most of them got caught up in the still-recent war, and that's why they're down here on the beach ... they haven't been put out to sea and Lost, but they don't have any place to go back to. They're deserters from various gangs and refugees who lost their homes. A few of them are guys whose gangs got busted up, but they couldn't or wouldn't join up under another leader, then.

Some of those people ended up fishing, working their way toward Losing themselves, but the ones who are forming up into this gang are the ones who found some other way. They've settled on or right near the beach, keeping clear of the water, and they're getting by through all kinds of means. They don't live all together in a big camp, nothing like that ("self-sufficient" and "loose-knit").

And when I say they're on the beach, I mean all around the whole coast, not just this community. This stretch of beach is the friendliest and most populated, so a decent number of them are near, but some of them are set up clear on the other side of the island. It'd take a couple days to get everyone together, if we needed to do so.

So they live on their own and in small groups or partnerships, doing whatever it is they do to get by. Some of them have unique skills, a lot of them scavenge and beach comb, a fair number of them dabble in thievery and small-time raiding. Some of them are handlers for the lost. The ones that are joining up are keeping on with their lives, but they're also staying away from raiding, keeping in touch with one another, and watching out for trouble on the beach.

We're watching each others' backs, putting up a united front against anyone who wants to come down and fuck with beach dwellers, and I'm also asking that everyone try and act as informal lifeguards, watching out for sharks, keeping an eye on the lost, etc. If they see minor trouble, try to help out. If they see big trouble, pass word along. And, really, pass word along regardless, whether there's trouble or not, just to keep the tiny little beach communities from getting too isolated.

There's enough of them scattered along that news can work its way around the coast from one side of the island to the other in two or three days. Less, if it's urgent and people are making a point of relaying the news quickly.

And I'm generalizing, here. Since everyone is still going about their own lives, they don't necessarily all follow this template, all 30 or so of them. There are outliers.

Nearby, I guess there's maybe a third of the total? So about 10 of them within easy contact, with the rest more distant. A few of them actually are members of the beach community, handlers and hangers-on. Maybe Igor, Tao, and someone new, like a Jeanette? One isn't on the beach at all ... he's up in Georgetown. Rafe? And maybe someone over at Comfortless Cove. How about Fancypants?

Three who live together with a few lost about an hour's walk up the beach, opposite direction from Georgetown. There's a fold of rock there that's gathered enough soil to garden for vegetables, and the currents consistently throw interesting stuff up on the rocks there. There's no real beach though, just rocks, and their only fresh water is from rain collection, so it's a small community. Call them Frank and Shou and Text, and Text is the one who usually walks down here if there's news to pass.

And then a couple more within an hour-ish walk. Call them III and Rum. III has a place up in the rocks where he has a little one-man tanning business, making leather. It's not too far from Georgetown, but far enough that the smell doesn't carry. Rum works as a laborer-for-hire in and around the town when he can find work, scavenges when he can't.
  • edited December 2011
    Followers
    fortune+1

surplus: augury, insight
    want: judgment

My family:
    - taken as a body, they constitute a powerful psychic antenna
    - they are rigorous and argumentative
    - they are few (10)
    - they aren't mine ... more like I'm theirs

Cast:
    - Gabe, Fraze, Garber, MB, Hurricane, Road, Sun, Pandora, Clarity, Cassa, Burn
    Fortunes: fortune, surplus and want all depend on your followers. At the beginning of the session, roll+fortune. On a 10+, your followers have surplus. On a 7–9, they have surplus, but choose 1 want. On a miss, they are in want. If their surplus lists barter, like 1-barter or 2-barter, that’s your personal share.
    I am one of a group of young people that live along the beach, all of us particularly psychic. We're close, and we've bonded enough to achieve a kind of psychic synergy, letting us deal with the maelstrom in unusual ways. Well, when we're all happy with one another, which isn't always the case. I'm nominally the leader, but ... well they do usually do what I say, but they almost always argue about it, first.

We grew up together, but we're not actually all together right now. We've kind of split up into little groups, twos and threes, going our own ways. It doesn't matter: we can talk all telepathically, sometimes, checking in with each other. I'm not so good at that, admittedly.

I think I'll go for the full 10 followers, so counting me, that's 11 people. I didn't plan on detailing all of them, so as to leave some that Christopher can take a free hand with. If you want to detail a couple of the un-detailed members, knock yourself out.

I'm thinking:

- Right here, there're four of us: Me, Cassa, Road, and MB. The whole family built a real house here back when we were mid-teens, and the four of us are still living here now that everyone else has moved out.

- You, Gabe, went your own way years ago, obviously.

- I think a group of three went around the coast and are living together out there: Clarity, Hurricane, and Fraze.

- Two more went off together (they're still a couple, right?), and maybe I have a vague idea of where they are now. Call them Sun and Garber.

- There's at least one real hold on this island, maybe the one Always' mother ruled, or maybe a different one. Pandora lives there, living like a hocus/skinner ... she's less interested in the rough life.

Cassa is the really weird one, spent the first several years of her life going out on boats with her mother. She's not quite right, but she has crazy psychic talents - sometimes she does things that the rest of us can't make heads or tails of.

Clarity and I used to be a pretty serious couple, until she decided to leave with Hurricane and Fraze. I still don't know why she made that decision, and our relationship has cooled as a result. I mean, we still talk, and sometimes she does this psychic projection thing into my dreams, but it's still a long-distance relationship.

Fraze is good at building things. Not full-on savvyhead, but he's good at pulling technical ideas out of the maelstrom. He's the architect of our house, for instance. Over at Clarity's camp, I hear he's building these water traps that scoop up and distill tidewater, making fresh water out of nothing but sea and sunlight. He's also one of the newer family members: he was a deserter from some gang, and he joined us not long before we built the house (it was his idea).

Pandora's good at wrapping people around her fingers, I don't think psychically. She'll be favored by someone with jingle and authority, up in the hold, and she'll probably have her own court of pets and favorites. She says she's teaching people about the finer things, culture and beauty, while we work to build up the basics ... but I don't know.

I have no ideas in particular for Road and Sun (the ladies), or for MB, Garber, and Hurricane (the guys).
  • edited November 2012
    So people live on the beaches, either lost to the maelstrom or tending to people lost to the maelstrom.

There are others, though. It's been fifty years, I'm told ... generations have passed, and people have been living on the beaches since pretty much the beginning. Some of us grew up here, yeah? Take me. My mother was one of the lost, 'for she died. That's true of most of my crew, actually, and most of us are orphans to boot. The lost don't live so long. They forget things, get into accidents. My mom died when I was, like, nine or something. I'm not sure, since we didn't really count birthdays, did we?

I don't know who my father was. Neither did my mother, or the old guy who watched over her and a few others that didn't have family. She might've been ... basically raped, you know? It happens.

Whatever. My point: mom was born on the beaches, too. That's another thing that happens. If you're born on the beaches, you usually end up just as lost as your parent, parents. Like in my crew, Cassa, she went out on the boats with her mother up until she was five or so and someone put a stop to it. She's still weird, and that's by our standards.

But not just Cassa, right? Most of our mothers went out on the water for months, with us each curled in their wombs. Some of us, like me, we go back like that more than one generations: me, my mom, and I don't know when we first landed on the beaches.

So my theory is, that changed us. We were practically born on the water, weren't we? I think that'd explain some things ...

I spend a lot of time on the beach, or in the hills just above it. The house is there, and we're always doing repairs, tending the vegetable garden, working on projects, and so forth. Keeping an eye on Cassa, as much as is possible. If someone comes by for whatever, that's fine, and I'll stop to talk.

I also circulate around the beach. I'm just checking to make sure things are alright ... nobody's sick with something nasty and/or infectious, make sure the lost who aren't the Lost have someone keeping an eye on them. And maybe there's shrimp or something I harvest out of the tidal pools, I don't know. I stay busy, and I move around the beach and the house.

I do leave at times. Often, I go along with the fishmongers if there's something I need from market, or if there's reason to believe that the fishmongers might run into trouble. Other times I go out for a few days at a time, visiting other members of the family and generally staying acquainted with other parts of the island. Those expeditions are maybe every couple of months? Sometimes I go along with Road or MB, other times not.
  • edited May 2011
    Collected timeline:

• "My mother was one of the lost ... I don't know who my father was. Neither did my mother, or the old guy who watched over her and a few others that didn't have family. She might've been ... basically raped, you know? It happens."

• She had these, this weird pair of goggles I keep with me. They were just one of her things. Of course, she couldn't tell me what they were, or where they came from, but I used to spend hours waiting for her to come home, wearing those things and watching the sea.
    ... when they work, they let you see the maelstrom. It's normally invisible ... you look out over the ocean, and it's just, y'know, ocean. Through the goggles, you can see it like sheets of color rippling in the sea and sky. Rhyme would describe the effect as being like the northern lights, if he knew what those were. It's beautiful, and meditating on his few scant moments of seeing it, he has come to understand it more clearly, and to understand that it is not an enemy.

The broken braingoggles are a symbol of the future that is only now becoming possible, where a new generation might be able to understand the maelstrom, making peace and negotiating safety and knowledge.
    • The old man used to take the goggles into Georgetown, when he was taking fish to market. He'd trade a couple fish to get them recharged for me, bring them back. The battery wore out or something, though, and they stopped working over time. Each charge lasted less and less time. Now, "They can be charged from a standard power jack when the opportunity arises, but even then it takes a while for them to charge up, and then the charge only lasts a few seconds. They're pretty much dead."

• The old man died. By then I was old enough to take care of my mom a little, but then she died too. This was before I lived here, by the way. I used to live around the coast a little, there's this cove there. It was us, and a couple other lost fishers the old man looked out for. I don't know what happened to the others.

• When my mom died, I took what little stuff we'd had, and I went walking. I ended up down here, and I met Clarity, Hurricane, and Gabe. They were all a couple years older than me, already together and watching out for one another. I remember I thought Clarity was pretty great, even then. Of course, I was only, like, eight or nine then, so what did I know?

• Well, not that I was wrong.

• So I started sticking to them, and there were a couple other orphan kids in the settlement, even younger than us, and we kept an eye on them. Kept them out of the waves. Others showed up, and we got older, and we became a family.

• Cassa and Burn stopped going out on the boats a year and a season or two after I got here. Cassa's the youngest of us, and she was only five then. Burn was a few years older. By then, both of them were already lost, so they needed a lot of looking after. Their mother's handler didn't really bother, but I talked Clarity and Gabe into convincing the others to help out.

• Cassa got better, sort of. She's an oddball ("She's still weird, and that's by our standards."), but she grew something back, maybe just because she was so young. But Burn was with us, but only barely, and he never got better, not from the moment he arrived to the moment he left.
    Cassa's a little dotty, so you'd think [Burn]'d be kind of the same, but that wasn't really the case. He was, um, not there, totally, but what was there of him was just calm, steady, reliable. And he had the telepathic stuff down, you know, like he always knew when one of us was in trouble, and he was sometimes there to help before you really even were in trouble.

You know, until he and Cassa came in from the boats and joined us, we didn't really have the bond we have today. I suspect maybe he was our anchor, and without him our little sparks and tricks might not have come together, or wouldn't've come together the way they did.
    • Fraze arrived about a decade ago, give or take.
    Fraze is good at building things. Not full-on savvyhead, but he's good at pulling technical ideas out of the maelstrom. He's the architect of our house, for instance ... He's also one of the newer family members: he was a deserter from some gang, and he joined us not long before we built the house (it was his idea).
    • A lot changed around then. Fraze's arrival completed the current family, and we built the house, and we started experimenting with the brain stuff (and Gabe bailed on us). A little bit later, we started, well: Clarity and I (finally) hooked up, and Sun and Garber started their whole hookup/breakup cycle, and most of the others started bringing people home, on and off.

• Years later, we lost Burn, though he'd really been fading for a long time, distracted by stuff that none of us could perceive. I think that's when we started to grow apart, to realize we didn't need each other as much, anymore. First Pandora decided she'd had enough of living on the beach, and she went inland. And about four years ago, Clarity went across the island with Hurricane and Fraze, and Sun and Garber went off somewhere on their own.
    Clarity and I used to be a pretty serious couple, until she decided to leave with Hurricane and Fraze. I still don't know why she made that decision, and our relationship has cooled as a result. I mean, we still talk, and sometimes she does this psychic projection thing into my dreams, but it's still a long-distance relationship.
    I imagine that I was mostly an observer in the war. I wasn't sure what I could do about it, and I wasn't sure that something of a shakeup wouldn't be a good thing, in the end. I reckon, though, that I am the scariest of my family members, so I probably spent some time out on the island helping family get to safer places ... those of us on the beach were less affected, but not all of us are on the beach.
    I think you did find Gabe. I think you invited him to the safety of the house and he decided to stay with the vet, even though you warned Gabe that the vet wasn't long for this world. Then you told Gabe he had an open invitation, as always. And that was that. Until Gabe showed up recently and told you the vet was dead by Merry's hand.
    There's more people along the beaches, though: not just the Lost and other maelstrom-lost. Some are born here, others driven here more recently: refugees and deserters from the big smashup war. They figure this is a safe place, and the fighting won't chase them down this close to the ocean.

A lot of them get 'lost' pretty soon, since there's not much you can do to get by but fish and beach comb. Still, a respectable percentage manage to survive out of the water around on the sand and rocks, and they all know who I am. If I needed to, I could probably call them out, get them to fight for a cause. I haven't needed to, yet.
  • edited May 2011
    A touchstone:

• Name

Rhyme.

• Look

I thought about making him a woman, but he settled in my mind as a man. Young, in his late teens. Survival wear (bits of military dress, I think, going from Christopher's commentary), striking face, clear eyes, still body.

• Stats

Cool+1, Hard+2, Hot+1, Sharp=0, Weird-1

Definitely wanted some Cool, but there was a bit of indecision between the Hot+1 stat line and the Sharp+1 stat line. Ended up going Hot because I think Rhyme is pretty charismatic. Sharp is useful, but not really core to concept.

• Moves

I get Visionary automatically, and I choose Indomitable for some combat kick. I could stand to switch Indomitable, though, and I'm taking a look at moves I could pick up with Long History.

I take Know Your Enemy because I'm going for this idea of a new generation of psychics cropping up on the island, and particularly on the beaches. So I want to be fairly familiar with the psychic maelstrom.

• Gear

2 handy weapons: the weapons list really doesn't excite me much, but I guess I'll pick a couple items off of it, later.

Fashion worth 1-armor ... maybe a jacket or something. I'll detail as I settle the details of Rhyme's look.

Oddments worth 1-barter.

Rhyme's token of hope is a pair of goggles, like trimmed down night-vision goggles, of uncertain origin. The lenses are blue, and tiny text circling each eyepiece says: "KVD Mnemosyne III.2 Kirlian".

They don't work, really: when Rhyme and his crew first found them, they worked for a bit, but the battery or something ran down. They can be charged from a standard power jack when the opportunity arises, but even then it takes a while for them to charge up, and then the charge only lasts a few seconds. They're pretty much dead.

But when they work, they let you see the maelstrom. It's normally invisible ... you look out over the ocean, and it's just, y'know, ocean. Through the goggles, you can see it like sheets of color rippling in the sea and sky. Rhyme would describe the effect as being like the northern lights, if he knew what those were. It's beautiful, and meditating on his few scant moments of seeing it, he has come to understand it more clearly, and to understand that it is not an enemy.

The broken braingoggles are a symbol of the future that is only now becoming possible, where a new generation might be able to understand the maelstrom, making peace and negotiating safety and knowledge.

• Hx

Not there yet, but I basically just point at people and decide, one by one, if they have a place in the future I hope for, or not.

Everyone gets Hx+1 with me, to start.
  • edited May 2011
    If I recruit a gang from among the refugees/deserters:

Gang (2-harm gang medium rich 1-armor) (vulnerable: desertion)
    - 30 or so violent bastards
    - self-sufficient, able to provide for itself by raiding and scavenging
    - loose-knit, with members coming and going as they choose
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
    Oh, an aside.

PCs can be followers, but my followers (such a loaded word, but 'crew' already has meaning in this game) are mostly people who grew up on the beaches with me. I think one or two got added to the group later, but I don't think that changes much, as far as PC followers go.

- Always has his own story going.
    - Merry has her life pretty much spoken for.
    - Brick, should Trevis choose to play him, is really not likely.

Gabe, though. Where's he from? He seems possible ... could he have grown up on the beaches before going up and getting caught up in the fighting? He has his Healing Touch thing going on, so he has surprising psychic talents. Maybe he grew up with us, and he's got the whole psychic-augury thing going on with the rest of us, but (like me, Weird-1) he's really kind of rubbish at using it, and so he was totally shocked and surprised when his healing touch manifested. None of the rest of the crew ever did anything like that! Not even the ones who are really good at the psychic stuff.

Or not! Just a thought.

And what about you, Max? What's your story? Want to have grown up weird on the beaches with your crew of weird friends? I don't agree with what Always is doing, but if you went and joined up with him, the rest of us wouldn't shun you or anything! And the brainer is a perfect fit for this concept, you have to admit.

As membership enticements, I offer periodic xp (from the Visionary move, see it up top), and access to augury (though only Max would be any good at using it). I'm thinking the crew's ages are grouped around 20-ish, though, and I don't know how you two pictured your ages.

The group isn't really organized - the others do what I decide more often than not, but they argue about it. And I often decide to do what the consensus is, due to the surplus:insight. So you wouldn't be some mere follower, either.

I'm picturing the surplus:augury as something available whenever the crew/followers are talking to one another, and which is available to all of us. I'm no big augury ritual leader or anything ... we're just collectively a kind of distributed augury network. At any time, one of us (NPCs included) can reach out to the others and use the whole crew as a psychic antenna. If something goes wrong, it affects all of us, since nobody really has a protected executive role.

When we're in want, though, we're all pissed off and closed to one another, so it doesn't work. (And everyone blames me, on account of the want:judgment.)
  • I'm going to need to think on your ability to give augury to other characters.
  • edited May 2011
    Why not? It doesn't really make sense to constrain it ... I'm not some high priest doing augury rituals, I'm just a guy, one of a group, as indicated by the +judgment. In this matter, we're all the same, so there's no reason that I'd be the only person who can use the move. In fact, I'm not even very good at it.

In contrast, I'm the only person who can use insight, since that's the flip side of judgment: everyone calls me the leader, telling me what they think should happen and blaming me when something goes wrong.

Compare to a savvyhead with Reality's Fraying Edge and an open door policy on the workspace. Probably anyone can use that, though they might have to act under fire or something if they're no familiar with the equipment. Like, Marshmallow knows Lemma's workspace, so there's no reason he couldn't go in and do augury with her alien device. And Setter might have more trouble, but she could at least try: it's sitting right there, after all.

So while workspace augury is constrained by location, followers-based augury is constrained by both membership in the group and by the result of the most recent fortunes roll. Also sometimes by hierarchy, if the hocus or whatever is controlling the group like that, but that's just not particularly appropriate here.

In any case, the NPCs don't matter, since they obviously don't literally get augury. They just get custom MC moves that resemble the effects of augury. (Some of them, anyway. Just as I'm kind of crappy at augury, some of the NPCs probably have trouble with it, too. But also some of them would be quite good with it.) And it doesn't matter at all if no PC is one of my followers. Even if someone is, I can't see how it would hurt.

But I'd rather just say that no PC can be one of my followers than rule it out on a conceptual level. The idea of this group of characters being psychically familiar and bonded is core to concept. I want each of us to be equally able in that bond: I can use augury to reach out to Cassa, but she can also use it to reach out to me. We're a weird psychic family, not a supernatural cult of personality.

Though of course, I do think it would be interesting to have another PC in that family.
  • edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
  • Well once Always gets his first improvement that will be two groups of followers with +augury, since that will most likely be his priority. It seems the game is getting increasingly focused on the beaches and ocean-related population. Which is not a problem, necessarily, though to me somewhat surprising. I think the Island could definitely use at least one other Big Thing.
  • Yeah, Michael, that's what thinking on it delivered to me too. Basically, setting something cool up is more important than following the letter of the rules.

Daniel, Big Things might come out of play, too. Y'know, hopefully.
  • edited May 2011
    So I think Pity could be a follower of Always pretty easily, but I'm not sure about Rhyme. If the crew is all kids born on the beach, then she wouldn't fit. If it expands to general wacky beach people, she could be in, but she might be a little too out-there. I guess what I'm saying is I'm in if you want me, but my origin doesn't fit what you've described for the group so far.
    I think:

Most of us are from a single generation of children, born in a certain area of the beach, who had psychic tendencies and bonded together as they grew up.

Not everyone, though. There's maybe two or three who came from elsewhere, like refugees or deserters from inland.

I'm not sure exactly how someone joins the family. It wouldn't be easy ... you'd need to be wholeheartedly accepted as part of the adoptive family, which would take time and intimacy (ha!). It would necessarily involve both a certain bit of psychic potential (I think any PC is assumed to have this), since I think we'd have trouble accepting someone who can't join the augury bond - it'd feel weird.

So it doesn't just extend to wacky beach people, but it's not impossible that Pity, specifically could have been accepted like that. It seems weird, but I'm down with it if you're interested ... we can just take it as a fact, and figure out how it happened later.

How long have you been here? (I might've just overlooked the detail.)

Also, I think we'd need to specify that reaching out to someone through the psychic maelstrom does not count as intimacy. Otherwise, the rest of the family would have to wage a horrible psychic war with you every damn night, which sounds pretty stressful.
  • edited May 2011
    Alternative roles for Pity, to consider alongside being a member of the family:

- Weird person that we're interested in and getting to know, but whom isn't yet part of the family. Maybe you arrived relatively recently, and we're still doing the "do we or do we not want to introduce you to our weird psychic clique" dance.

- Weird person that did join the family ... but as it turns out, reaching out through the psychic maelstrom with augury does count as intimacy. Funny that. Several horrible psychic scars later, we're not great friends anymore. (Christopher would need to check off on this, since it says something about the nature of augury and the maelstrom).

I might continue to tweak the average age of the family, depending on how old everyone else is. It's feeling like a very young game overall, interestingly. I want to set them at a point where you can take them seriously, but they still feel pretty young. Twenty-five, as above, might be a little older than necessary, in the post-apocalypse.
  • Posted By: Michael Loy
    PCs can be followers...

Gabe, though. Where's he from? He seems possible ... could he have grown up on the beaches before going up and getting caught up in the fighting? He has his Healing Touch thing going on, so he has surprising psychic talents. Maybe he grew up with us, and he's got the whole psychic-augury thing going on with the rest of us, but (like me, Weird-1) he's really kind of rubbish at using it, and so he was totally shocked and surprised when his healing touch manifested. None of the rest of the crew ever did anything like that! Not even the ones who are really good at the psychic stuff.

Or not! Just a thought.

As membership enticements, I offer periodic xp (from the Visionary move, see it up top), and access to augury (though only Max would be any good at using it). I'm thinking the crew's ages are grouped around 20-ish, though, and I don't know how you two pictured your ages.
    I can dig this, yeah. What if Gabe grew up on the beaches with Rhyme, but he left when they were teens, met up with a small group that included the vet. After raiders killed the vet, Gabe ended up back at the beach. With Gabe's new Weird power, he's drawn to Rhyme as a confidant / guide.

I was seeing Gabe in his late twenties/ thirties.

Does that work?
  • edited May 2011
    - Weird person that we're interested in and getting to know, but whom isn't yet part of the family. Maybe you arrived relatively recently, and we're still doing the "do we or do we not want to introduce you to our weird psychic clique" dance.

- Weird person that did join the family ... but as it turns out, reaching out through the psychic maelstrom with augury does count as intimacy. Funny that. Several horrible psychic scars later, we're not great friends anymore. (Christopher would need to check off on this, since it says something about the nature of augury and the maelstrom).
    Thinking about it, Max, I think one of these might be more interesting than making Pity part of the family. Agree?

Could we put Gabe around 27? I don't think I want to nudge the family's age range up any further than where it is now (20y to 27y), but at 27 he'd just be one of the older members.

I think where I am is our original home, so while many of the family members have gone wandering, this is a natural place for Gabe to return to. Of course, you could've tried to talk to the whole family, telepathically, but yeah ... like me, you're not too great at that kind of thing. Probably best to just come down and chat in person.
  • Oh, and about having something going on inland, I don't know: There was a big (well, big to us) war just a bit ago, inland. I imagine that it's not really completely over yet, and there'd be all sorts of things going on in the aftermath, anyway. And I've got a few followers living inland, not counting Gabe.

Plus, Touchstone! I'm still working out my vision for the future (both IC and OOC), but I think it involves an end to violence, the return of relative stability/safety/dignity for the people on Ascension, and so on. All that will involve looking inward.

There's also Merry at least, and Brick too (if Trevis does that).
  • Let's say Gabe wandered off in his mid-teens, soon after they all built the house. I like the idea of "Gabe's Room" in that house - an empty room, maybe some storage items left there from years ago, but nobody actually lived there after Gabe left.
  • I had pondered and determined that "weird person doing the possible introduction dance" would be my preferred thing. I think the other could also work, with MC approval. I personally don't like starting with openly antagonistic relationships with other PC's, but giving day-Pity more things to atone for is always good.
  • Well, I think we would at least broadly understand that it's not your fault. We're psychic too, after all. Just might not be that comfortable with you.

But, actually, I'm pretty happy with courting you, rather than starting with that resolved.
  • Michael, if Rhyme were in a movie, do you have an idea who would play him? I find that if I have a gauge on the "actor" playing a character, it helps my mental image of them.
  • How much time does Rhyme spend on the beach? I think maybe Pity's been watching him, but more in a curious way than a creepy studying him way? Still pondering it.
  • edited May 2011
    I spend a lot of time on the beach, or in the hills just above it. The house is there, and we're always doing repairs, tending the vegetable garden, working on projects, and so forth. Keeping an eye on Cassa, as much as is possible. If someone comes by for whatever, that's fine, and I'll stop to talk.

I also circulate around the beach. I'm just checking to make sure things are alright ... nobody's sick with something nasty and/or infectious, make sure the lost who aren't the Lost have someone keeping an eye on them. And maybe there's shrimp or something I harvest out of the tidal pools, I don't know. I stay busy, and I move around the beach and the house.

I do leave at times. Often, I go along with the fishmongers if there's something I need from market, or if there's reason to believe that the fishmongers might run into trouble. Other times I go out for a few days at a time, visiting other members of the family and generally staying acquainted with other parts of the island. Those expeditions are maybe every couple of months? Sometimes I go along with Road or MB, other times not.
  • edited June 2011
    Oh, and I'm thinking Vin Diesel, more in his off-screen persona than on-screen. Kind of a big guy, friendly, chooses his words carefully, ethnically ambiguous.

Though, hey, Rhyme can kill people with his pinky finger, and Vin Diesel works for that, too.
  • Like this?

• edited April 2011
    Less frowny, but yeah.