[The Island] Brick, the Chopper

edited April 2011 in Out-Of-Game
Brick - The Chopper

Look: Man, Combat Biker Wear, Rugged Face, Weary eyes, Sturdy Body.

Outlook:

Stats: Cool +1, Hard +3, Hot -1, Sharp +1, Weird 0

Moves:

Basic,

Pack Alpha

Fucking Thieves

Leadership

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH

Bike:

Strengths: Rugged, Responsive
Looks: Vintage, Roaring
Weakness: Unreliable

Fashion: Leather with some no nonsense improvised armor plate/chain. 1-Armor

Weapons: Magnum (3-harm, close, reload, loud); Machete (3-harm, hand messy)

Gang: 3 harm, Medium (30 guys) savage 1-Armor.
Bikes are in bad shape and need constant attention Vulnerable: Breakdown.

Experience: X X X X X|X X X X X|X X X X X|X X X X X|XXX

Improvements:
[x] get +1 hard
[x] new option for gang (well disciplined)
[x] move from another playbook (Leadership)
[x] move from another playbook (NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH)

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Sweet, there he is. (-edit- Oops ... maybe I should've given you a chance to reserve some space.)
  • Guess I'm part of the gang!
  • Trevis, in the set-up so far, I've had my Angel Gabe in a somewhat antagonistic role towards the gang Merry is part of. I want our PCs to be allies, at least when we first start off. How can we make that happen?

Would you want to be a new leader of the gang and the leader who was around when Merry was cajoled into killing the vet is the guy you unseated? Or should I lump it and suck it up and say Gabe is resentful but knows it was nothing personal and Brick is just Brick? Or something else?
  • Bear in mind also that it is not a foregone conclusion that Brick's gang is Merry's gang. There are many options available and I don't think that's set in stone.
  • Christopher, yeah that's true, it might be important to Trevis to be that person but if fitting us in that way is a problem I'm sure we can be flexible.
  • Posted By: orklordWould you want to be a new leader of the gang and the leader who was around when Merry was cajoled into killing the vet is the guy you unseated? Or should I lump it and suck it up and say Gabe is resentful but knows it was nothing personal and Brick is just Brick? Or something else?
    The gang could be in the midst of a leadership crisis. Maybe Brick is a new leader or on the rise rather than an established one. We could see him try to take control fromt he guy who made me kill the vet.
  • Oooh, I would really like that, starting off with a big gang splitting in two or a new leader making his hard move. Gabe would back up Brick for sure!

Of course, having it be two different gangs is cool, too.
  • A hierarchy is also possible. Like a holder or a warlord who has a few groups under him: you're the scouts, you're the compound defense, you're the raiders, you're the perimeter patrol ...

That does raise a question. Normally a chopper gang isn't that powerful. It's nasty, but there's another step of scale where you get groups like hardholder gangs and serious warlords.

But we are on an island, and when all's said and done it's not that big, so I could see our settlements/gangs/etc being a little smaller in scale. That might in turn make 30 guys a pretty sizable force. Maybe there just are no size large gangs. Or there's just one, but it's breaking up in the wake of victory (as described above), or something like that.
  • One of the weaknesses I thought about taking for the gang was obligation, which would tie us to a more powerful person. That could be the larger force we're a part of. Brick is or was a sort of a 'captain' or something. I could lower the gang size if that fits better, and choose something else. I originally chose it because I'm thinking of this big scary gang.

I also had this thought like, we only have this certain number of bikes. The bike marks your position in the gang. When you rise up, you fight the next guy up for his bike. If you want in, you challenge some guy for his bike. If the guy gets, like, totally knocked out, then everybody moves up a step (though its bad form to kill someone over this fight.)

I really want Brick to be Alpha partially on Merry's account. I'm trying to figure it, but I want him to be pretty protective of Merry.

I could see making an enemy because brick and his gang peeled off from the larger gang, taking Merry with them. I defiantly don't think that Brick is responsible for Vet's murder.
  • Yeah, and much of the gang believe whoever owns Merry will prevail in battle, taking her would be pretty significant. Not cause she fights so great, mind you, but cause she's just weirdly good luck to have around.
  • Where do you think the gang (your gang) have a home base? Or are we nomads with no home.
  • edited April 2011
    I didn't take the gang option that would make us nomadic. We have a base. On an island we only have so far to wander anyway. I'm not sure where. I guess the military base might be a hardhold? We have a clubhouse somewhere.... Maybe close to the beach.
  • Sounds good, close to the beach is good. I like the idea that Merry gets sent to the beach on her own or with just like one guy cause a lot of the guys don't like to go there, the lost and all... and I don't personally know how well motorcycles do on sand but I don't expect it's great.
  • Hmmm... might have to change the look since Rhyme is all Vin Deiselish. Though my portrait is based on Jason Statham.
  • If you like. We'd both have little hair, at least. I'm specifically not working from Vin Diesel's usual onscreen persona, though, so there isn't that much overlap. More abstractly, your rugged face, weary eyes, and sturdy body don't much resemble my striking face, clear eyes, and still body.

Also, I've put in an image at the top of my thread that is not actually Vin Diesel. I'm not sure I'm totally happy with it, but it's a slightly different spin.

We haven't specified exactly where the beach house is. It might be not far from one of the villages (maybe where we go to market), and that could be where your clubhouse is.
  • Well if anyone is looking for picture sources, I do have a few galleries up of portraits I've collected to use in an AW game I was running awhile back.

Here they are.
  • Trevis, MC is asking for us to clarify our relationship. I see two ways to go given what I've seen:

1) You are the leader of the gang and I'm essentially your property
    2) You are a member of the gang and I belong to the gang leader or even a local hardholder. You don't like the guy likely and want to take over. You probably lead a portion of the gang who are loyal to you (your gang) but the entire organization is larger than that.
  • Hmmm.... I don't know why I'm feeling so uncertain about this.

I guess I like the idea of being a smaller part of a larger force. Like three gangs (two gangs? I might have to drop my gang size down again and pick something else) or something that are almost equal in size and have an alliance (though one guy in particular is the leader.) I've let him, mostly because it's been profitable for us, and he hasn't been too much of an asshole, but orders for my guys go through me.

Maybe I don't plan on splitting off or taking over the higher spot (who wants to corral more than I've got?) But y'know. I was thinking that maybe, right when we start off, it could be the morning after I won Merry in some kind of game... Hammer was drunk off his ass when he placed the bet. So was I, y'know, but I got lucky. Maybe not quite sure what to do with her and all.

Course that could happen in play too, I don't know. It might make for an interesting day right off though.
  • edited May 2011
    Brick, based on what I've written (which was in turn based on what y'all have written) in the people and places threads, it's natural that you could be The Chopper among The Georgies or The Raiders. It's also possible that you could be in charge of Babcock's gang. Less so Two Boats or the Greenies. And we could add something. What's feeling right? And how important is the potential relationship with Merry? Sometimes it feels like something you're really angling for, but I'm not sure if it's too constraining or what. It definitely seems like you should be in some obvious leadership position among the gang -- second in charge doesn't feel right. Or am I off base?
  • I think whoever owns me and likely a rival or two think I'm good luck but I'm absolutely flexible on that, whoever owns me is fine, even if nobody does. I thought I'd start the game in the hands of some NPC, but Trevis expressed interest in being that guy so that's totally up to you. It's actually a little bit interesting and in character for me not to decide how things start, I am a thing bought and sold after all.
  • edited May 2011
    No, you're right. It's too constraining, it's been tying me up. Of course we are still supposed to be allies or something.

I'm the leader of my gang. But I'm not feeling the "own Merry" thing like I thought I would.

We've been talking about the raiders like they're a unified gang. I think several gangs (called 'raiders' because that's what they do) probably exist in that area. Like three or four of them. We've formed temporary alliances in the past (like the war thing) but only if there is something in it for us. But we aren't a unified thing. The villagers take care of us because one gang or the other 'protects' them. Of course who 'protects' what is probably in constant contention.

Merry belongs to a different gang. I've seen her around, maybe we've been in a hangout that is neutral ground among the raider gangs. I've talked to her, seen her in a fight, and I think that she's a fuse waiting to blow.
  • Though we might be at Cat Hill, rather than the strip. (Labeled Main Base on the map.)
  • edited May 2011
    Posted By: trevisWe've been talking about the raiders like they're a unified gang. I think several gangs (called 'raiders' because that's what they do) probably exist in that area. Like three or four of them. We've formed temporary alliances in the past (like the war thing) but only if there is something in it for us. But we aren't a unified thing. The villagers take care of us because one gang or the other 'protects' them. Of course who 'protects' what is probably in constant contention.
    This fits well with the discussion in the main game thread regarding Always' mother, Nbeke -- the idea being that part of what made her an extraordinary threat, politically, was that she seemed to have permanently* united the gangs into a single group. Now that she has been exiled/Lost, the gangs have returned (mostly) to their prior groupings.

* For 'permanently', remember this is Apocalypse World. Probably like a year or two, tops.

This also means that Always grew up among the raider gangs.
  • Please add an entry for Brick to the harm thread.
  • When you reset Hx with someone from +/-3 to +/-1, ask them any question you like.
    Pandora: Not that I want to, but if I did ... how could I make you mine, exclusively?
  • I'm assuming you mean sexually and romantically exclusive? That's a little tricky. Not because I'm not inclined but because of the gang dynamics. But those aside: Tell me you love me, promise your own exclusivity and... I don't know, convince me it's worth the emotional risk. I'm already half there, maybe more. I already care more than I should and when I'm away from you it bothers me. I don't push it further because you don't seem to want to, and my cynical but sincere belief that I should enjoy it, because sooner or later, and probably sooner, I'll loose it anyhow. Good things aren't meant to stay. So I allow myself to get lost in the fantasy of trust, as an escape. It's kind of emotionally masochistic to be honest.