[Dungeon World] Astrafel the Bard

edited June 2011 in Out-Of-Game
Astrafel the bard
You know, there’s actually a very funny story behind that. Lord Malthus, Bringer of Water, and He Who is Wreathed in Basil had assembled his troops on the bank of the Ganthas River. What he didn't know, of course - and this is where it really gets good - was that...

Look: Knowing Eyes, Wild Hair, Traveling Clothes, Thin Body

If you're looking for Astrafel, he's probably in the back with Ovid chatting about something or other. Yeah, that's him, the skinny one. Astrafel sure does love that fiddle, carrying it all the way out here and not even for a moment letting it out of his sight. Only Ovid has even seen inside the case... Astrafel can be kind of cagey at times but man is he good for a story once he gets going. You'd think he'd get them all mixed up but he soaks up everything like a sponge, maybe it's cause he's an elf. By the way, if he ever tries to tell you the one about Lord Kandle and the dwarf egg, don't fall for it - turns out it was just a rock.

Str: 8 (-1) Dex: 13 (+1) Con: 9 (+0) Int: 15 (+1) Wis: 11 (+0) Cha: 17 (+2)

HP: 11 (11 max)
Damage: d6
XP: 1 (Lvl 2)

Neutral
When you avoid a conflict or diffuse a tense situation, mark XP.

Bonds:
I have a long-standing bargain with Diana.
I sang stories of Elohiir long before I ever met them in person.
I am writing a ballad about the adventures of Elohiir.
Ovid trusted me with a secret.

Ovid: +1
Diana: +2
Elohiir: +2
Siggrun: +/- 0

Gold: 4

Gear: (Load = 6)
A fiddle (never before played, 0 wt), Long Sword (Close, +1 damage, 2 Weight), Dagger (Hand, 1 wt), Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 wt), Bandages (3 uses, slow, 0 wt)

Moves:
Elf
When you Spout Lore you can add “What’s its history?” as one of your options.

Arcane Music (Cha)
When you weave simple tones into a basic spell, choose an ally and an effect:
- Heal 1d8 damage
- +1 Forward to damage
- Send them a short message that no one else can hear
- The next time the target is Aided, on a success they get +2 instead of +1
Then roll+Cha. On a hit, the ally gets the selected effect.
On a 7-9, your music also draws unwanted attention.

Bardic Lore
When you first hear of a notable far-off location, ancient artifact, or person of legend you can Spout Lore about it. You don’t need to observe or interact with it.

Fascinate (Cha)
When you ignore all else and perform your art, roll+Cha. On a 10+ a number of targets equal to your level+1 can do nothing but pay attention to you until they are placed in immediate danger or you stop playing. On a 7-9, one target can do nothing but pay attention to you until they are placed in immediate danger or you stop playing.

Tricks of the Trade (Dex)
When you pick locks or pockets or disable traps, roll+Dex. On a 10+, you do it, no problem. On a 7-9, the GM will offer you two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Comments

• The Bard's bonds are way better than the Wizard's. :/
  • Really? I kind of like that all wizards are complete whack-jobs.
  • edited July 2011
    Character Notes:
    While Astrafel generally avoids conflict, unless pressed, it is obvious how much he is offended by the undead. The elfish word Savat does not translate cleanly into common tongue but represents an amalgam of unclean, unnatural, unholy, infected, and repugnant - simultaneously a descriptor and a curse.

It is obvious that Astrafel is fond of Ovid, his jeux de vivre bringing Astrafel constant enjoyment. Because of this, Astrafel is a bit protective of him.

The combination of acceptance and knowledge of Siggrun's faith and his shared disdain for the undead give Astrafel and Siggrun's relationship a air of unspoken understanding.

You'd think Astrafel would be warmer toward the only other elf in the troupe but toward Elohiir, Astrafel is a bit cagey and definitely watchful. What the others don't know is that he is composing an epic poem about Elohiir and is keeping a professional distance.
  • Level 2
    HP
    #DiceRoller( 2d6 )
  • [+6 HP]
    I think I'm going to take Tricks of the Trade using Multiclass Dabbler, someone should probably be able to pick locks...
  • Cool, that's probably a good idea. And yay, more HP.
  • Yeah! We need a thief-type.
  • edited July 2011
    The bard can multiclass as wizard or cleric pretty powerfully but I thought that would step on Ovid's and Siggrun's toes pretty significantly. Astrafel doesn't do combat well but makes a good harrier (I guess he will just have to get XP between bouts of combat). I didn't want to load too heavily on abilities that boost spout lore or social interactions just yet, though, as that can wait until we are nearer civilization.
  • Oh man. Fascinate would be perfect for that. Let's try it!
  • I love how your highlighted stats are literally highlighted!
  • I thought that would be a nice touch, I keep going back to story games to figure out how to code text effects.
  • Curious, I imagine Astrafel as having the best relationship with Ovid and Siggrun; however, he has the highest bonds with Elohiir and Diana. Perhaps the straightforward nature of the relationship lends itself to predicting/anticipating/affecting their actions.
  • Yup. I imagine Astrafel and Ovid getting along the best, but we have the lowest Bond on my sheet. :)