[Dungeon World] Ovid the Wizard

edited June 2011 in Out-Of-Game
Ovid, the human wizard
Oh, the walking. Enough already. Are we there yet? I'm hungry. Shall we eat?

Man, Sharp Eyes, Styled Hair, Stylish Robes, Pudgy Body (and when I say Pudgy, I mean fat [and when I say fat, I mean Krispy Kreme fat])

Ovid's probably in the back, with the cart (yes, please! I'll chip in - carrying all these books [not a Bag o' Books yet, but working on it...] ain't going to happen! here's 2 gold *wink*). You can hear his breathing all the way up front (you damned elves, always keeping such a fast pace; slow it down a bit, yeah?). He's round in the face, round in the belly, and round in the head. But, he's stylish. Yeah. His hair is always neatly combed and parted. And, those purple and gold silky robes help wick his sweat on a warm summer day hiking through a sweltering forest. Ovid prefers the dungeon. At least it's normally a solid temperature down there. And, he'll constantly let you know.

But, Ovid's got a yearning. Whenever he discovers something new and magical, his sharp eyes light up like fireworks. Ooooh. And, he's got the magics, seems to know a thing or two about nearly everything and is generally a jolly fella, especially with some halfling pipeleaf in him. Boy, does that give him the munchies.

Str: 8 (-1) Dex: 15 (+1) Con: 9 (+0) Int: 17 (+2) Wis: 11 (+0) Cha: 13 (+1)

Current XP: 10
Total XP: 20

Max HP is: 10
Damage is: d4

Neutral
When you discover something about a magical mystery, mark XP.
Ovid, you've found something amazing, the Titan King's tomb remains an unsolved mystery among scholars, but kind of an infamous one. They say the great scholar Sorenji went mad in pursuit of this tomb and still walks this swamp.

Ovid, with Elohiir's help you manage to decipher much of the phrase. It's the words to a magical ritual in a forgotten tongue you only know due to your long interest in this place. It appears the tomb is sealed by magic and this is the code to break it. So you can perform the ritual to open the temple, but:
* You need the words to the ritual (You've all but got that, just need to sort out a few more phrases)
* You need help from a powerful wizard or a source of magical power
* You're likely to be attacked by the serpents for the duration, or until they're all dead
Bonds
Fill in the name of one of your companions in at least one:

Diana is holding me back with her petty morality. All this nonsense about revolution and change. Doesn't she realize that true change comes not from the laws of men, but of the laws, broken and held, of the cosmos?

Siggrun has been the subject of my experiments before, and hates me for it. I don't think he appreciated me tricking him into taking part in my summoning ritual. Does he hate me because he thinks his god hates me for the way I commune with the spirits? Clearly, his religion is holding back pursuit of true knowledge...

One day Elohiir will stop laughing at me and my experiments. One day. The Abyss will finally open. One day. His fine spear will hold back no denizens of the depths. One day. He'll learn to truly appreciate the power in my mind and appreciate what it is I am trying to do.

Elohiir the Fighter: +1
Diana the Ranger: +1
Astrafel the Bard: =0
Siggrun the Cleric: +1

Gold
0 left from 10 starting (1 for staff, 2 for cart, 2 for rations, 5 for halfling pipeleaf)

Gear
Spellbook (1 Wt), Staff (Close, 2-H, 1 Wt), Rations (Ration, 5 uses, 1 Wt [in cart]), Halfling Pipeleaf (Ration, 5 uses, 1 Wt [in cart])

Load is: 4
Total Wt: 4 carried

Moves
Basic moves plus...

Human
Take +1 to any dice rolled for a Summoning spell (but not for casting Summoning spells).

Spellbook
You have mastered several spells and inscribed them in your spellbook. You start out with two first level spells in your spellbook. Whenever you gain a level, you add a new spell of your level or lower to your spellbook. You spellbook is 1 weight.
Spells

Light
Level 0, Cantrip
An item you touch glows with arcane light, about as bright as a torch. It gives off no heat or sound and requires no fuel, but it is otherwise like a mundane torch. You have complete control of the color of the flame. The spell lasts as long as it is in your presence.

Unseen Servant
Level 0, Cantrip
You conjure a simple invisible construct that can do nothing but carry items. It has a Load 2 and carries anything you hand to it. It cannot pick up items on its own, only carry those you give to it. Items carried by an unseen servant appear to float in the air a few paces behind you. An unseen servant that takes damage or leaves your presence is immediately dispelled.

Prestidigitation
Level 0, Cantrip
You perform minor tricks of true magic. If you touch an item as part of the casting you can make cosmetic changes to it: clean it, soil it, cool it, warm it, flavor it, or change its color. If you cast the spell without touching an item you can instead create minor illusions no bigger than yourself. Prestidigitation illusions are crude and clearly illusions; they won't fool anyone, but they might entertain them.

Magic Missile
Level 0, Evocation
Projectiles of pure magic spring from your fingers. Deal 2d4 damage to one target.

Contact Spirits
Level 1, Ongoing, Summoning
You draw a creature from another plane just close enough for you to hear its voice. You gain 1d6 hold. You may spend one point of hold at any time to have the spirit give you useful information of its own choosing. The spell ends when you run out of hold or you dismiss the creature. While the spell is ongoing, the creature’s presence unnerves those nearby: everyone in your presence takes -1 to Parley.

Invisibility
Level 1, Ongoing, Illusion
Touch an ally: nobody can see them. They’re invisible! The spell persists until the target attacks or you dismiss the effect. While the spell is ongoing, you can’t cast another spell.
Prepare Spells
When you spend uninterrupted time in quiet contemplation of your spellbook, you lose any spells you already have prepared and prepare new spells of your choice whose total levels don’t exceed your own.

Prodigy (Magic Missile)
Choose a spell. You prepare that spell as if you it were one level lower.

Cast a Spell
When you release a spell you’ve prepared, roll+Int. On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and you do not forget the spell – you may cast it again later. On a 7-9, the spell is cast, but choose one:
•You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot, the GM will describe it
•The spell disturbs the fabric of reality as it is cast, take -1 Ongoing to Cast a Spell until you Prepare Spells again.
•After is it cast, the spell is forgotten. You cannot cast the spell again until you Prepare Spells.

Research
When you spend time looking for answers within a large collection of knowledge, like a library, roll+Int. On a 10+, you may ask the GM any one question. On a 7-9, the GM will answer a question of their choice.

Ritual
When you spend time and materials costing at least your level in gold researching a magical effect, tell the GM what you’re trying to achieve. The GM will tell you “yes, you can do that, but...” and then 1 to 4 of the following:
•It’s going to take days/weeks/months
•First you must ____
•You’ll need help from ____
•It will require a lot of money
•The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited
•You and your allies will risk danger from ____
•You’ll have to disenchant ____ to do it

Spell Defense
When you craft an ongoing spell into a makeshift shield of arcane energy to deflect an attack, the spell is ended and you subtract the spell’s level from the damage done to you.

Comments

• I dig your character description, very well written.
  • Ditto! Whisper me what it's like inside that fiddle case! :)
  • I think it's interesting the guy most friendly toward me is the least of my bonds. Hmmm.
  • edited June 2011
    To be clear, are you saying Ovid "stays by the wagon" and doesn't go into the dungeon? Doesn't seem like it but should check.
  • No, he goes in. I just mean he's slow and in the back usually. :)
  • Ovid is male.
  • Wow. I just noticed that one of your thread tags is "Fat".
  • Posted By: Michael LoyWow. I just noticed that one of your thread tags is "Fat".
    Oh yeah.

Siggrun, highlight a stat for me.
  • I'll be nice and higlight Int.
  • Yay! :) Happy Ovid.
  • edited June 2011
    Marking XP for Parley with Sorenji.
  • I'm expecting Ovid may want to use his research move on the script, going to take some time though.
  • Level Up!

HP Roll:

#DiceRoller(2d6)
  • Woot! +6 HP!
  • New Spell:

Invisibility
    Level 1, Ongoing, Illusion
    Choose an ally: nobody can see them. They’re invisible! The spell persists until you make a move or dismiss the effect.
  • Probably take Prodigy with Magic Missile being my "0-level" prep spell (as long as Scott confirms).
  • Sounds good. Just FYI in the rules is case someone doesn't know "ally" can also refer to yourself.
  • I don't think it does there, actually. Compare to Greater Invisibility.

But I don't know. They're kind of bad about using consistent language in the spells, I've noticed.
  • Bad about consistent language in the whole game. ;)
  • Added new spells (cantrips) and modified existing spells.
  • Prepared spells for beginning of second session:

Light - Level 0
    Unseen Servant - Level 0
    Prestidigitation - Level 0
    Magic Missile - Level 0 (prodigy)
    Contact Spirits - Level 1
    Invisibility - Level 1
  • Hm. Did you notice that the number of spells you start with, as well as the number of spells you can prepare, they both went up by 1? So you ought to have [level+1] levels of spells prepared, plus cantrips and magic missile.
  • I did not notice that change. Hmmmm.

I don't have enough spells to prepare 3 levels worth. Can I prepare two of the same spell I wonder? So, if I "forget" it once, I have it again?
  • Well, you also start with 3 spells in the Red Box, so you'd (now) have 3 first level spells plus magic missile and cantrips.

I wasn't sure about that multiple memorization thing, like in D&D, so I asked on the boards. Hm ... no response yet, but I'm pretty sure they're at GenCon. I vaguely remember the answer to that being "no", but I wasn't able to find the thread, so that could just be my fevered imagination.