[Dungeon World] OOC discussion

I think we're waiting for our poor, sick GM to get well while fever-induced hallucinations coalesce into horrors from beneath for us.

So I figured we should have a place to bullshit.

Comments

• What do you guys think about "Hack n' Slash" as a move? I guess it's parallel in AW would be Seize By Force, but it doesn't leave much room for doing much besides dealing damage (hence, H&S of course). I'm not seeing any moves for taking things, forcing people to do stuff (we have Order Hirelings for asking them to do stuff), or whatever though. Sort of the same with Volley. I almost wish you had more options on 10+ (maybe you do in Advanced moves I'm overlooking?), such as pinning someone in place, dislodging something from their grasp, causing them to lose their footing, etc.
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, something like overpower. Maybe a custom move that riffs off of Parley. For example:

Overpower (STR)
    When you leverage someone and you try to get them to do what you want, roll+STR. If they’re an NPC on a 10+ they buckle and do what you what you want. On a 7-9, they do what you want but you both take harm.
    If they’re a PC, on a 10+ both, on a 7-9 choose one:
    -If they do it, they mark experience
    -If they refuse, it’s defying danger
    On a 6-, you both take harm in the struggle and you may make this move again if it means that much to you.
  • edited June 2011
    What is taking things? Like picking pockets or disarming someone or what?

I think Defy Danger is supposed to take up a lot of that kind of slack. And yeah, I'm not sure that it isn't a weakness in the design, but I haven't played yet so I'm kind of hesitant to opine too much.
  • As far as making someone do something, I kind of don't like the way AW sets that up because it seems like something that could be left to spring from the fiction and the MC's principles. So I'm not sure that lacking that bother's me. You want the goblin to show you through the maze? OK, kill his buddy and convince him that you could easily to the same to him. Why would that need to be a distinct move? And you can spout lore to learn "how can I make it _____?"
  • Taking things, like, "He's got the golden skull and he's fleeing out the window!" "Shit! I run over and snatch it from him!"

Hack and Slash is "deal damage" as pretty much the only effect. Whereas, a move like Seize by Force, has "deal damage" + "take hold of something" or "frighten the enemy" and whatnot.

Same with Volley.

"I fire my bow into his hand so that he drops his wand!"

Maybe that's Defy Danger? Seems weird for the snatching though (using Dex and all).
  • Wait...snatching something from someone as they're running away shouldn't use dex?
  • Yeah, I mean I could totally say I'm taking this piece of treasure for myself and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands! If you wanted it, the GM could always have you Defy Danger, the danger being that I get to Hack'n Slash. You could also just write a custom move for it. AW is a more stylized game so seize by force can be quite poetic. DW, on the other hand, is meant to emulate a different style of play (and has provisions for mooks rather than all named characters via monster groups) so Hack'n Slash seems appropriate to me.
  • I mean, making someone do something, like, "The ogre is blocking the doorway and the goblins are carrying the damsel away behind him!"

"I charge up and knock him down or push him out of the way, slamming my shoulder into him, so everyone else can move past him!"

Hack and Slash doesn't really cover that. I guess Defy Danger could, but that doesn't really seem like Dex again.

Someone on the DW forums mentioned using a generic Defy Danger roll but changing the stat, like, "Oh, you want to push the ogre aside before the goblins get away, great. Roll Defy Danger using Str!"

Eh. I don't know.
  • edited June 2011
    What about a move like: when you do damage to an enemy, before you roll it you can tell the GM what special effect you want instead of inflicting damage and if she thinks it's reasonable, you do that instead of the damage?
  • Posted By: Christopher WeeksWait...snatching something from someone as they're running away shouldn't use dex?
    Oh, I guess it could, totally depending on the context. I'm imagining wrestling the dude to the ground and taking it (like Seize by Force?).
  • Posted By: Christopher WeeksWhat about a move like: when youdo damage to an enemy, before you roll ityou can tell the GM what special effect you want instead of inflicting damage and if she thinks it's reasonable, you do that instead of the damage?
    That's what I've been imagining in my head. I was just wondering if I was overlooking something in the actual rules that covered this already.
  • Posted By: Michael PfaffSomeone on the DW forums mentioned using a generic Defy Danger roll but changing the stat, like, "Oh, you want to push the ogre aside before the goblins get away, great. Roll Defy Danger using Str!"
    That seems like what the rules would have you do. Another custom move might be, when you struggle over someone or something, roll+STR.
  • edited June 2011
    You want the goblin to show you through the maze? OK, kill his buddy and convince him that you could easily to the same to him. Why would that need to be a distinct move? And you can spout lore to learn "how can I make it _____?"
    Well, that's actually a Parley check, right there. Your leverage is a credible threat of violence, just like it'd be in AW.

There's no Go Aggro equivalent, but I think you handle that just like you do in, well, D&D. Or any number of other games. Make a threat, perhaps with a Parley check, then smack 'em if they say no. Go Aggro is really a pretty specific piece of cinematic flavor for AW, where you have to declare ahead of time that you will pull the trigger.

The rest ...

So, I play D&D. I play 3e, but let's set that aside: 3e was definitely a move to make D&D more like other rpgs, with its skill points and combat maneuvers and etc. It makes most tricks and stunts at least theoretically possible for anyone, though sometimes prohibitively difficult.

I also play 4e. 4e doesn't really do that. If I want to snatch something out of someone's hand in 4e, I damn well better have a power for it, and my class might simply have no provision for that kinda shit. Now, there's p42 in the DMG, with notes for improvising things like that, and a good DM will apply those rules. But the rules don't specifically cover it.

I didn't really play older versions of D&D, but older editions were also like that. You want to sneak around? And you're not a thief? Nice try, buddy. Though again, the old school D&D crowd has an extensive culture of rules improvisation. Way back in OD&D and early 1e (before non-weapon proficiencies), you'd see modules with stuff like: "Here's a boat. The PCs will want to pilot this boat down the river. Here are module-specific rules for piloting a boat down a river." DMs theoretically did the same thing in their home games.

So I'm not sure that these are holes in the rules, exactly. I mean, ok: they are, in the sense that D&D has always had huge fucking holes in the rules. But they also aren't, in the sense that D&D is a game about certain things, and I think we all know what they are: exploration, and killin' things. I suspect that DW is deliberately targeting rules for a similar feel, leaving the rest to GM ruling.

They're not going crazy with it. We still do get our Parley move, for instance. But this game is, after all, a D&D -> AW hack.

As a historical note, see how the game's mutated over time. Wasn't Defy Danger once Pull a Stunt, or something like that? And the Hack and Slash move used to have a positioning component. I don't know how much you want to read into that kind of thing, though.
  • Sounds reasonable.
  • It's really quite different from straight Apocalypse World and I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays.
    Hope to get rolling before the weekend, but no guarantee, I'm still kind of blah.
  • GM Highlights for session 1:
    Astrafel highlight DEX
    Diana highlight INT
    Elohiir highlight DEX
    Ovid highlight CHA
    Siggrun highlight CON
  • Got the opening scenes up, they're simple and similar, want to see how the moves in this one make stuff happen.
    Have patience, I'm still under the weather and I'm pretty much going to have to look up every move for a while so it's not easy to respond quickly.

Feel free to comment and help, this is a test run.
  • I like the monster/item thread. You should add a number to each item/monster post. That way, in the fiction we can hotlink directly to specific items by adding "#Item_number" to the end of the URL. (I sure do wish Snail's Pace had buttons to automatically insert HTML script...).
  • Posted By: octoscottGot the opening scenes up
    Cool! Way to take the plunge!
  • So, I figured out the coding and posted to the thread in which my character is involved. Thus far, I haven't read the other thread (happening somewhere else). Should I read it or should I wait until people are in the same place and hear it straight from the horses mouth?
  • edited June 2011
    It's up to you, but I'm reading your thread. If we were sitting around a table, you'd know what was going on, right?
  • I am reading the other thread too, but I don't plan to make decisions based on what's happening in the other thread.

Like, Michael said, you'd hear that stuff at the table.

Also, I'm hyped! Two posts in. :)
  • Just checking, I'm new here so I'm sort of winging it convention-wise.
  • edited June 2011
    Looks like one group got the donkey and the other got the cart. Maybe the donkey managed to break free once the cart got wedged and wandered off only to find the other group before Ovid/Siggrun/Astrafel found the cart...
  • I read everything and assumed everyone else would too.
    Is this what I've come to? Standing in defense of a donkey? *sigh*
    made me laugh!
  • I love that gear we purchased has already put is into a predicament. Perfect start to the game.
  • So it doesn't go unsaid, everyone please track your own XP.

And note, advancement is quite different than in apocalypse world. You level up when you reach xp equal to your current level x 10.
  • Going to let Siggrun respond before I go on with the description of the stones, as Ovid understands them.
  • > Forgot about the cougar actually, do the rules address who is in control of animal companions? I don't remember a mention, it seems like the animal is an extension of the PC, and grants abilities, almost like a gang in ApW, you can narrate its actions, sometimes I will, Diana.
  • If you read the moves, using it is kind of dangerous. But it also supplies me with rations and I didn't bring any, so I'll need to rely on it anyway.