[IG] Thou Art But a Warrior

edited October 2007 in In-Game

Long ago, a great civilization stood at the brink of destruction. But hope was not yet lost, for Faruq Ibn Ikram al-Katib still served Allah and his people. And so it was that Faruq found himself being dressed down by the head of the Great Library, while his fellow knight Hafiz stood in the corner smirking.

"Sir," Faruq interrupted, "I do not understand why it is that I am being accused of stealing books. I would never remove a book from the premises without permission."

Comments

• edited October 2007

Abu Omar al-Kabir drew himself up to his full height. "Do not waste my time with such lies." The scholar thundered. "The books were there just past midday when the librarians made their rounds after prayers and missing after sunset when they came through again. According to the guardians," Abu gazed over at Hafiz and then back to the accused Faraq, "you were the only one to enter that section that day. I should have you banished from the Library for this!"

"Please," begged Faruq, "I have told you all that I know. I know that my fellow guardians and I did not see anyone else but me enter that section during the time that the books vanished. But I am sworn to protect this library and its books, I would never steal them. Please, allow me to hunt for this thief so that I might clear my good name."

Abu Omar crossed his arms over his chest and stared at a Faraq for a long moment. "Very well. Your years of service have earned you that chance at least." He agreed. "But I cannot trust you as once I did. Hafiz shall hunt for the thief by your side so I might be sure what you find is the truth."
  • RusRus
    edited October 2007
    [align=center]image[/align]
    Hafiz and Faruq walked the marbled, golden halls of the library. Once far from Abu's office, Hafiz laughed. Though it echoed flat and off key, Hafiz seemed very amused.

"Please, I have told you all that I know," repeated Hafiz with his well polished, mocking tone. He smiled at Faruq.

"Who cares about these books anyhow Faruq? Only those like Abu Omar, who only use old books to impress other influential people. We know what really impresses people." Hafiz gripped his Toledo Forged Sword in its scabbard.

"Admit it. Let the rich and powerful play their game of art and books, and we'll play ours."

A young Christian dhimmi worker, a floor sweeper and wall polisher, rounded the corner far down the hall.

"There is your thief. Let's just take this young infidel to Abu and get this over with. We have better things to do with our time than boost Abu's reputation among his peers."

Hafiz's words convinced Faruq.

"Stop, thief!" Faruq yelled. The young dhimmi's broom dropped from his hands; an expression of disbelief froze to his face.

But only if Faruq noticed a glint in Hafiz's eye, that betrayed the man's true intention. He turned to Hafiz "Do you think that I car about Abu's reputation? Knowledge is a power more potent than that sword you wear at your hip. I am searching for the true thief, because by stealing from this establishment they have diminished us all." He motioned for the dhimmi to return to his work.
  • [align=center]image[/align]
    But only if Faruq realizes Hafiz's intent as trying to bed this young dhimmi's sister. This worker, her brother, is the last major obstacle and if Faruq helps Hafiz in this endeavor, if he goes along with the false accusation for example, he'll help find the true thief.
  • edited October 2007
    It shall not come to pass.

It doesn't seem to matter which value we use, so I'm just going to roll.

#DiceRoller( 1d6 )
    The dhimmi worker, happy to be let go after being accused as a thief, left the hall quickly. Hafiz let out a small sigh that betrayed his disappointment.

"The delegates from Sevilla were here yesterday," said Hafiz unenthusiastically. "They are a crafty, sneaky bunch. Perhaps they took the books? I hear they planned to dine somewhere decadent tonight."

Faruq realized Hafiz knew much more about such gatherings than he. He could really use Hafiz's help if the investigation lead to a group of self-indulgent Sevillians. But he knew Hafiz's heart was not in it, as other things distracted it. Maybe helping Hafiz bed this woman was worth finding the book? Maybe Hafiz was not as egotistical and selfish as he thought, but just deeply in love? Or maybe Hafiz was just playing him again, using him for his own absurd purposes.

Despite his doubt Faruq turned to Hafiz.

"Ok, Hafiz, you win. Lets go find this dhimmi woman and we'll get you what you want, but without any false accusations. Then we go question the Sevillians."

And so it was...
  • edited October 2007

Long ago, a great civilization stood at the brink of destruction. But hope was not yet lost, for Ishaq still served Allah and his people. And so it was that Ishaq came to the house of Arieh the Rabbi, a sword at his hip. A young Jewish boy had been arrested, and was found to be carrying a rare poison from Damascus. The boy did not reveal the plot, but Ishaq knew that if something were afoot, Arieh would know of it. The delegation from Sevilla was in town, and in these dark times any mishap could be disastrous.

And so Ishaq stood at Arieh's door in the Jewish quarter, screaming children running around his feet, and knocked on the door.

The door was opened by Arieh's student Baruch, a young boy in training to be a rabbi himself one day. He ducked to one side to let the Knight enter and pass into the rooms beyond. He heard the sound of a woman crying and Arieh's gravelly voice as he walked down the corridor. He entered the cluttered kitchen and found Arieh sitting by his hearth cradling his daughter Hava to him and murmuring to her as she cried on his shoulder.

"Do not worry daughter. We will get him back. We have friends that can act." Arieh looked up at Ishaq's approach and smiled grimly. "And it would seem Yahweh has sent one of them in our time of need."

Ishaq knew what he meant. The boy was Hava's son, her only reminder of her dead husband, and more precious to her than gold. It hurt Ishaq's heart to see her in pain. But he knew that the culprit was the very man giving her comfort.

"I came for you, Arieh. I'll free the boy, but you must come with me, and turn yourself in. You're the author of this misfortune, and it is just that you atone for your crimes. I will bring you to the Caliph, and you will confess the plot to murder the delegates. Only then will I bring the boy home."
  • edited October 2007

But only if Arieh agrees because he has already bribed members of the Caliph's household to assure his safety. Once the boy is released, Arieh escapes and goes into hiding.
  • edited November 2007

But only if Ishaq learns of this and is able to track him down.
  • edited November 2007

And furthermore the trail of the escaped Arieh leads Ishaq to the home of his friend, Farid.

I exhaust Fate for the Destruction of the Library aspect since this plot led to one of the assistants of the library.
  • And so it was...
    Long ago, a great civilization stood at the brink of destruction. But hope was no yet lost, for Asad still served Allah and his people.

Young Carlitos, a converted Christian, knocked quietly on Asad's study door. Asad put down his pen and worked his way to the door. Upon seeing his good and valued friend, Asad took a deep breath and smiled in relief. Carlitos still had friends across the way, with the barbarians and was an invaluable source of information. Asad had prayed for more word of Leoncio, a great Christian leader who seemed open to hearing the word of Allah. Carlitos had braved the journey east and now returned with news.

"He wants to meet you," said Carlitos. "Your last letter touched his heart and he yearns to learn more."

"Excellent news!"

Asad grabbed his friend and took him to the kitchen.
    "You must be hungry. Maram, dear. Look who has come, it is Carlitos. Remember I told you about how he guided me through the Stone Valley that winter."

"It was during that winter you told me of Allah," said Carlitos.

"Yes, yes it was," Asad replied. Setting sunlight poured over the kitchen counter. A soft layer of flour on the counter top glowed white. Maram set down a ball of dough. She walked slowly from the stove and looked over Calitos, happy that her husband was happy.

"Carlitos brings word that Leoncio wants to meet. If so, I will be able to finish this volume of my history. And perhaps, just perhaps, I can show him the joy in following Allah and he will change his barbaric ways."

"Yes, father will be happy to hear that you want to leave." Maram said cautiously.
    "I'll ask him tonight. With your delicious cooking and this good news he most certainly will agree to my eastern travels."

Asad's father-in-law Osvaldo did show up for dinner that night and he did agree to let Asad and Carlito journey east to meet with Leoncio.
  • edited November 2007

After a long day's journey, Asad found himself awakened in the middle of the night as Carlitos slipped quietly from camp. Asad, full of curiosity, crept after his friend. Eventually, Carlitos stopped as a dark figure stepped from behind a large boulder. Asad strained to hear the whispered conversation.

"He has come. I have led him here as you asked," Carlitos' whisper was tense. "I want to return to my family. I want no further part in whatever you plan."

The shadowy figure answered, "You've grown soft in your time within Toledo. You were to spy on them, not become one of them."
  • RusRus
    edited November 2007
    Asad drew his Toledo Forged sword and stepped away from camp toward the voices.

"Carlitos, what dealings do you have here in the dark of night? Did you saved me so long ago only to sacrifice me now, to this dark stranger? Step into the light. Let me see your conspirators and conspiracy. Face me now."

The shadowy figure, so frightened by Asad, fled.

Carlitos crouched, cowered and shivered.

"Come now Carlitos, lets find your family. We shall gather them. They will live in Toledo and know Allah's glory."

Carlitos took Asad to his family and they journeyed back to Toledo, where they found good work and lived a good life in the service of man and Allah, never again having to fear the barbarian's blade.
    Posted By: rugrsiCarlitos took Asad to his family and they journeyed back to Toledo, where they found good work and lived a good life in the service of man and Allah, never again having to fear the barbarian's blade.
    You ask far too much...
    I'm exhausting the Theme of Office. I don't believe that a knight can escape their office that easily.

The whisper of a sent arrow traveled from the shadows. Asad grabbed Carlitos and pulled him behind a level of rocks. The scrambling of footsteps moved into a flanking position. Asad knew if they did not do something all would be lost.

By the starlight Asad discovered a small crevasse. With a quick motion to Carlitos, both men shuffled between rocks and earth and traveled down into a winding canyon, escaping the violent intentions of the group above.
  • edited November 2007

But only if an arrow hit Carlitos and punctured one of his lungs, so that he could not continue.
    And that was how it happened.

Asad found a small hovel. Two old Christian women, possibly crones, emerged and helped bring Carlitos into the dark, stew-stenched chamber.

Within, the women treated Carlitos, establishing that he would not perish.
    Asad, knowing this a sign from God, knelt in prayer.

The woman with thinning hair and a crooked arm watched Asad with wonderment.
    “Such devotion I have never seen with my weary eyes. If only my grandson Leoncio saw such faith, our clan would not suffer as it has.”

And so it was...
  • edited November 2007

Rodrigo's letter was written in appalling script, the mark of someone not used to writing Arabic. But the meaning was clear:

The envoy from Sevilla cannot be allowed to succeed.
    We have risked too much to buy the enmity of these two states.
    Should they ally once more
    The war is doomed
    and our people will never be free.
    The Jews have failed.
    My dear, you are our last hope.

Salima tucked the parchment into her bodice, and gave the street boy a coin.
  • RusRus
    edited December 2007

“Salima, how many times have I asked not to give to these beggars?” The al saoor spoke quickly as he exited the east wing of the hospital. She was not given a chance to answer as he continued to talk.

“Will you go with me to the Library? The walk will be good for you. It will be good for you to get some air.” Again, he did not pause, but started walking, assuming she would follow; assuming she would obey his diagnosis and prescription.

She did not follow, "I am waiting for Nasir. I'm afraid that I can not join you today." She held her breath hoping that he would proceed to the Library without her and not insist on staying to talk with Nasir. "He should be here any moment now," she proclaimed.
  • RusRus
    edited December 2007

The al saoor stopped. His eyes betrayed an uncommon wink of worry.
    The library was in trouble. Unless she came with him, unless she met with Abu Omar al-Kabir, he dared not break the news to her. Certainly the street was not a place to talk of such things.

“If you can --when you find time-- I would appreciate you come to the library. I shall be their until I must leave for dinner with the envoy.”

The al saoor paused and turned, then turned back.

“Nasir is welcome too. Yes, bring Nasir.”
  • OOC: Al Saoor is the man's title not his name. It translates to Head Doctor. His name is Ibrahim.

It was at this fateful moment that Nasir came out of the bimaristan. It had been a long day in the surgery tending to the wounds of the Knights of Toledo. The fighting had been fierce on the borders and the wards were full. His thoughts were on the suffering of his fellow knights and the solace from it he knew he would find in the arms of Salima.

"AL Saoor." He nodded to his elder in respect. "My dear." Nasir could not help but note the tension the air. "I was not aware that you two were acquainted."

Nasir saw Salima's eyes widen. At first he thought it was something he had said, but as soon as he heard the voice behind him, he knew otherwise.

"Step aside, Nasir, we must speak with the lady."

It was Abu Bakr, the chief of police. His quiet blue eyes regarded Nasir cooly, hinting at the power the man weilded. Nasir stood aside and watched helplessly as the giant of a man grasped Salima roughly by the arm, and dragged her away.