[The Island] transition session 2 -> session 3

edited August 2011 in Out-Of-Game
I'd like to end the session for Gabe and Rhyme and Pity more or less on the note just hit in-scene. Brick and Merry aren't quite there yet. So that means that three of you are going to have to chill out for a bit.

But I also wanted to bring our discussion about our next move as a game over here to concentrate it.

I was thinking about jumping forward down the time-line. Some of you have some things you're interested in working on, but I'm not sure how much of that needs to be on-camera (because the doing is the point) and how much could be accounted for in e.g. a love letter (because the change in situation is the point). So let's discuss that stuff. I also want to tease threads apart -- I was getting confused by Pity and Gabe's plans and whether you both thought they were interacting or not.

So, one thing to decide is what, in general terms y'all are trying to do, that you wouldn't mind happening off camera. And another is how long we should jump. I'm leaning toward several months or a year -- something like that. But not if it's going to mess your plans up.

Who has goals for the family house?

What are Pity's (or Sundown's) goals regarding a holding?

What's Gabe's role in his own or other peoples' plans?

What's Merry doing...does even she know?

And what's up with Brick?

Comments

• I'm all in. I want Gabe to be a contributing and supporting member of the Beach Force. He wants to help protect the people on the beach and he can either work gigs to support them or run an informary to keep them healthy. Or really, both. Gabe is going to give this his all until someone screws him over to the point he cannot recover. He's even going to not mention the skulls in hopes that things will work out for a bit treating Sundown like a person.
  • To start with, simple organization. Get everyone's catch to a central location, and feed everybody from there. Organize regular trips to the market, with a consistent amount of product, and try to negotiate a regular rate for it. Maybe a little bit of tactical training for anyone who's not too far gone to remember it. Some kind of a simple plan for storms, emergencies, etc. so that we can at least figure out who comes back afterwards and who's gone, and maybe move towards everyone having shared responsibility for keeping everyone safe instead of all just scattering.

Pity's probably not going to be able to come up with this on her own, but she'd like it. If nobody trusts Sundown enough to let her walk around at night, she could at least give ideas to someone (Monk?) who could just repeat them to Pity in the morning, and she could take the initiative on getting the citizenry involved.
  • edited August 2011
    I can't do a long time jump. I thought we were talking about a couple weeks, maybe less, time to heal and clean up. If we do a time jump, I'm going to be out there doing absolutely nothing. I need a chance to get out on the island and find something to engage in, and skipping a year of my life is just going to be, skipping a year of my life.

For most of us, that's true. Gabe and Pity are the only ones who might benefit from a big jump, and I think that'd be kind of weak even there, since it glosses over the issues around trying to organize a new hold, and it leaves the Sundown situation sitting in limbo.

I want to start a session with the beach people resettling, Pity and Gabe starting a hold, Sundown trying to secure her freedom, all that. About a couple weeks. There's important issues there, and then the rest of us who lack clear direction at the moment get to go and find direction instead of cooling heels for months or a year.
  • I don't exactly see the meat of your objection Michael, but I'm also not wedded to a big skip.

There's this weird thing about Apocalypse World (and lots of games) where these really exceptional people have been doing what...not much, really, and then the game starts and within a few weeks or months, they tell their entire story and it's done. That's kind of weird. So I'm thinking I'd like to have a game where substantial time passes as a general rule between sessions. Now, I'm OK if AW isn't that game, but it's what I've been thinking of. And why shouldn't it be?

So you're talking about cooling heels for months or years. Isn't that what most people do with most of their lives? That would super-suck if it were taking up screen time, but it seems like between sessions isn't that. And I think that's the bit that I'm not quite getting.

But I also feel like there's usually something pressing to do next. To do soon. So maybe this idea of skipping time is an unwelcome artifice but I'm interested in what it would take to make it hum.
  • Well, that ignores this:
    ... and I think that'd be kind of weak even there, since it glosses over the issues around trying to organize a new hold, and it leaves the Sundown situation sitting in limbo.

I want to start a session with the beach people resettling, Pity and Gabe starting a hold, Sundown trying to secure her freedom, all that. About a couple weeks. There's important issues there ...
    And then just for Rhyme, he's been explicitly not achieving much for years, but he wants to change that - get out and find something important to do. At the beginning of the game I established that, but I haven't been able to get off the beach (not even out of the house, or my bed, this past session), but I was going to try and get out there soon, in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I can.

But that's something that can only happen on screen. If you go "and then, a year later!" and ask me what I'm doing, the answer is that, uh, well, I guess nothing's really come up. So despite being all gung ho to go out and start being touchstone-y at people, I just wasted the last twelve months. Go me.

I can't find purpose and direction in an MC letter or some between-session text crawl.
  • OK, yeah, that makes sense.
  • Posted By: Christopher Weeks
    There's this weird thing about Apocalypse World (and lots of games) where these really exceptional people have been doing what...not much, really, and then the game starts and within a few weeks or months, they tell their entire story and it's done. That's kind of weird. So I'm thinking I'd like to have a game where substantial time passes as a general rule between sessions. Now, I'm OK if AW isn't that game, but it's what I've been thinking of. And why shouldn't it be?
    Just wanted to say "a thousand times this". I once ran a Vampire campaign where we RPed through a party over single night. It took three game sessions. Each game session lasted about 13 hours (gimmie a break, I was in college). That means we effectively play through every single minute of the party in super slo-mo. It killed me. KILLED me.
  • Yeah, I get that Rich. But even the solution that I'm proposing is weird. It's like these people do crazy stuff for a while, then calm down for six months and then are all proactive for a a couple days and then take a year off. Etc.
  • Fair point, Chris. I wish there was a seamless way to do the seasonal play from Pendragon and from what I've heard, Houses of the Blooded. Something that makes sense. Maybe we institute a monsoon season or a hurricane season where we all hang tight and nothing much gets done besides batten down, fix up, rinse and repeat? Still not much of a fix.

Maybe the alt PCs could be set up on a different timeline or timeframe? But that robs some of the allure... and doubles your workload, Chris.
  • hey, let's not let the discussion of this stall the game for too long. I am digging this too much to go without.
  • Well, we're giving Merry and Brick time to resolve the session. We can just kick back for a bit.

Though we could start end-of-session Hx. And roll fortunes. And all that.
  • I"m happy either way, time passing or not. Merry isnt especially engaged in stuff right now so it won't bother me. Just need to see where she ends up.