[IaWA - IG] The Past

edited October 2007 in In-Game
scene 1
Sigismund, Wanda, Bergen

Some time ago, before quite so many people had died passing though this valley, a boy met a girl, and he - at least - fell in love. He lingered out of desire for her, staying at a small, nameless way house, hoping that she should turn her eye toward him. It was his tarrying that eventually doomed him, and his love that led to his death.

But this is before those events, and he yet breathes, drawing the unfavorable attention of the girl's father ...

The trapper's cottage is a rude affair of mud, straw, and felled trees, the inside filled with furs of the finest quality, some prepared for sale, others serving as rugs, as partitions, as wall-hangings to keep out the drafts. It smells of animal, like a great bear keeps its den there, warm and musky and not-altogether-unpleasant.

Here, one morning, as the early light begins to cut in through the chinks in the walls, Wanda squats before the fire, preparing a simple breakfast as her father checks on the skins outside, stretched for curing. The old man returns and sits, watching his daughter work, himself more than characteristically silent. He remembers his wife, noting how his daughter is - despite the rigors of her life - coming more and more to match her mother in beauty. It concerns him.

After a time, as they share their morning meal, he broaches the matter that has been weighing on his mind, clumsy in his words:

"That man who's been about, staying at the inn. It's not right that you let him follow you as he do, daughter. Men like that, they'll be good enough, but only until they've had what they want. Then he'll be off again, right enough, and that'll be that. Tell him off, and forget him ... it'd be for the best."

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Before his skin seemed so pale, before his side bled ceaselessly, before he was oh so cold, so cold, when his breath would warm to mist in cold air rather than his passing bring mist in warm air, Sigismund was indeed warmed by the sight of a maid who brought skins and other things to the inn where he stayed while passing through.

He had planned only to rest his horse from the hard journey, before it's next leg, but he found reasons to stay in this place and seek to talk to the maid, Wanda her name, asking of this valley, its inhabitants and history.

Seeking to enjoy her company and seeing something uncommon about her, something ambitious ~ no bad thing that in his eye ~ something that seemed so out of place here. He spoke to her of towns and cities and other places he had seen, their markets and the parties and celebrations, the social life, the grand cathedrals and their breathtaking beauty. How lucky he felt to see that beauty and the beauty of wood and mountain, but how he always preferred the city. Town air is free air they say. Oh it is not always sweet, but it is a place for the vigorous, the strong, those who are not content to live and die as those did before them.

He hopes his words find a kindred spirit, for he thinks her a flower grown wild here in the wood that would be destroyed by its first harsh frost but which taken the city and nurtured would bloom and thrive.

There is a look of interest in her eyes, in him and in the life he describes.
  • RusRus
    edited October 2007
    Young Giselle Ruprecht put flowers in the mud for her father.
    “I like the blue one’s the best, daddy.” She said to no one.

The blue, red and yellow flowers took the water and the dirt and grime slowly, and then sunk into the mud tracks of a cow.

Wanda approached from the east, her pack full of pelts; her face ruddy with cold; her blond hair curled and matted from sweat.

“Hello Giselle, talking to your father again?”
    “Oh yes. He likes it when I kill flowers.”
    “I’m sure he does. The minute he asks you to kill anything else, tell me first. We’ll talk about it. Ok?”

Giselle nodded. Wanda did not believe her.

“He says he has new friends. That his new friends lead him here.”

Wanda took Giselle’s head in her hands and put one of the remaining flowers in the child’s hair.

“Look, don’t you think the flower would be much happier here, sleeping in your beautiful head of hair, like this?”

“No.” She threw the flower. It was yellow. “Dad says I can visit him in the mansion anytime I want.”

Wanda knelt. She brought her face close to Giselle’s.
    “Promise me you’ll never go to the mansion,” she gripped tight, tight enough to cause a touch of pain in a child, “Promise.”

“Ok,” said Giselle. Then she wrenched free from the trapper’s daughter and fled.

“What’s at the mansion?” asked Sigismund. Wanda jumped with a start. What was he doing outside the inn, she thought. He must have seen her approach. A napkin still clung to his pants. In his left hand he held a glass of beer. Wanda noticed the flowers drawing his attention. She had to interrupt him before he got the idea to give her a muddy flower.

“Nothing…nothing you should worry about. You shouldn’t go there either,” said Wanda.

“That’s what she tells all her lovers,” said Ilsa. The dark haired woman stood just behind Sigismund.

Wanda flushed, “Never.”

“No, really, Sigismund,” she put a hand on his shoulder, “That’s her way of saying ‘meet me at the mansion tonight.’ People say they hear screaming out there at nights, but everyone knows is just Wanda doing her own trapping.”

Sigismund gave out a small gasp.

Wanda stood defiant. “Mr. Sigismund, if you would excuse us ladies for a moment, I have something I would like to say to Ilsa in private.”
    There is a look of interest in her eyes, in him and in the life he describes.
    Sigismund closed his mouth and returned to the Inn; his awkward ways finding no persuasive power over Wanda.

“Ilsa, you are a cursed and cruel woman. I can sense it. And your daughter has the taint too.” Wanda threw Ilsa’s fur order at the innkeeper’s feet knowing full well not to ever trust Ilsa again, as she had a glimpse of her true nature.
  • Wanda Enduring Duress - Art - Sigismund will have no power to influence Wanda with love
    #DiceRoller( 1d10 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d4 )
  • edited October 2007
    Sigismund closed his mouth and returned to the Inn; his awkward ways finding no persuasive power over Wanda.
    Her fathers words ground her resolve.
  • Bergen, Influencing Others

#DiceRoller(1d6)
    #DiceRoller(1d6)
  • edited October 2007
    Sigismund will have gained Wanda's interest if he has read her correctly, sensing her emotions and intentions and thus not being so awkward in his approach to her, having appeared seemly and not approaching a maid with beer in hand, for that will have been how she imagined the approach of the wrong sort her father warned of, not the right sort she dreams of - Guts

#DiceRoller( 1d12 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • Bergen:

#DiceRoller(1d6)
    #DiceRoller(1d6)
  • Wanda: Answerer

#DiceRoller( 1d10 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d4 )
  • RusRus
    edited October 2007
    Block. Wanda sees Sigismund as a pillar in the the faithful community and one who frowns on the dark arts, so deep down she knows Sigismund will never accept her for what she wants to be: one who deals with and takes the skins of devils. Therefore, she will never have romantic feelings for him.
  • Wanda's reroll surpasses Sigismund's challenge, so she becomes Challenger, per the shortening of form, her challenge is above, Sigismund's roll as Answerer to this Challenge:

#DiceRoller( 1d12 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • Sigismund hangs in, blocking most of Wanda's challenge but pushing the conflict on as surely this maid must see the merits of this worldly traveller from the bustling city. We both pick up and reroll, Wanda gets an extra d6.

My reroll, same Challenge if coming out as Challenger

#DiceRoller( 1d12 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • Bergen, still supporting his baby with his amazing 2d6:

#DiceRoller(1d6)
    #DiceRoller(1d6)
  • I guess he gets an advantage die, too? The rules are fuzzy, there.

+ #DiceRoller(1d6)
  • [ Ah! Sorry for the rules intrusion, but ... there should only be one advantage die, added to whatever the highest of Bergen and Wanda's collective dice is. If Wanda rolls better than 4, she adds the 6 from the advantage die to that. In any case, Sigismund has lost, with potential dice damage, but Wanda should still get a roll to determine if it is she or Bergen who gets to negotiate over dice damage. ]
  • Wanda
    #DiceRoller( 1d10 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d4 )
  • (4+6 from advantage dice = 10 to Sigismund's 5, total loss)

Indeed, Sigismund's Guts are exhausted "Wanda sees Sigismund as a pillar in the the faithful community and one who frowns on the dark arts, so deep down she knows Sigismund will never accept her for what she wants to be: one who deals with and takes the skins of devils. Therefore, she will never have romantic feelings for him." just as stated.

Which die loses 2 sides or do both lose one side?
  • Let's do a die size from each. Do you agree YP?
  • I'd hit the d12 twice, in order to restrict his highest possible roll. d8/d6 looks easier to deal with than d10/d4
  • Sounds good. d8/d6 it is.
  • Sigismund feels the premonition of a cold chill as Wanda is unmoved by him, but not so much he will not later be prey to Ilsa's falsehoods in this regard.
  • Bergen, Influencing Others (Ilsa is a good woman)

#DiceRoller(1d6)
    #DiceRoller(1d6)

Ilsa, Influencing Others (smoothing things over with Wanda)

#DiceRoller(1d10)
    #DiceRoller(1d6)
  • Ilsa sighs, then bends to gather her furs from the dust and mud. Rising, she seems contrite:

"I'm sorry, Wanda - that was uncalled for. Truly, it was more directed at him than you. He has been a ... demanding ... guest. We can certainly use the money, but I fear I've been a little ill-tempered lately. I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"Please, let me make it right? Come by the inn the next time your father visits ... I'll be sure Herr Orn keeps his distance, and I'll see that it's a fine evening. There's little enough to celebrate about, these days, and it would be nice to have a woman around, from time to time."
  • Wanda- Asserting Self vs. Ilsa and Bergen. Guts. Wanda will never trust Ilsa.

#DiceRoller( 1d12 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • Bergen, Influencing Others (Ilsa is a good woman)

#DiceRoller(1d6)
    #DiceRoller(1d6)

Ilsa, Influencing Others (smoothing things over with Wanda)

#DiceRoller(1d10)
    #DiceRoller(1d6)
  • Though Wanda remains un-placated, she cools off with time.

Ilsa speaks to her father, later, and Bergen convinces the young woman to join him for dinner at the inn one night not long after Sigismund's sudden departure. As the women get to know each other, they become, at least, friends (though Ilsa will probably never be the surrogate mother for Wanda that Bergen hopes for).
  • Wanda gives