[Durance] Wrapping Up and OOC discussion

edited October 2011 in Out-Of-Game
Ok, so lets use this thread to discuss New Kolyma, Harmony, and the Notables. Don't forget the tone of Freedom!

Comments

• edited October 2011
    New Kolyma: Planetary Survey
    Universal Survey Profile:BDF
    Survey:New Kolyma is a water world, but her seas present no challenge to colonization, averaging only two meters deep. The climate, planet-wide, appears temperate and stable. No signs of intelligent life were noted. A strong contender for a colony.
    Revised Survey:We brought filters, but not enough. The atmosphere here contains corrosive fluorine and is lethal to breathe directly. The warm, shallow seas make construction and agriculture (aquaculture as well) difficult. We’ve learned that life here has unusual and deadly biochemistry. Nobody wants to stay here.
    Atmosphere: Atmosphere is good
    Climate: Climate is bad [B]
    Geophysics: Geophysics is good
    Hydrology: Hydrology is bad [D]
    Biology: Biology is good
    Intelligence: Intelligent life [F]

Harmony: Colonial Record
    Universal Survey Profile:VYZ
    Description:Harmony is a cramped little police state, rocked by violent protests alternating with furious crackdowns. Everyone is afraid all the time. Lags work hard, largely self-directed, and serve as chattel for Authority whenever Authority calls. Food is rationed, with the lion’s share going to Authority. Everything in harmony is very clean.
    Planning: Planning
    Density: Extreme density [V]
    Workforce:Effective convict labor
    Prosperity:Prosperity
    Order: Disorder [Y]
    Justice: Injustice [Z]

TONE: Freedom From want. From Pain. From justice.
  • edited October 2011

COLONIAL NOTABLES

---AUTHORITY---
    The Governer
    Name:Dencius Smickley
    I will never:
    Player:

Functionary Captain of Marines
    Name:Prew Grison
    I will never:tolerate insolence or disrespect
    Player:Marshall

Free Colonist Free Woman
    Name:Vella Keech
    I will never:cheat on my husband again.
    Player:Rich

Marine
    Name:Lymand Shepett
    I will never:
    Player:

OutcastScientist, Physician, Clergy
    Name:Juline Bracer
    I will never:allow Nelma to learn the real reason she's in prison.
    Player:Joseph

---CONVICT---
    The Dimber Damber
    Name & Number:Nelma Bracer, #04768
    I will never:let Dencius forget what I did for him.
    Player:Joseph

Minion Captain Sharp
    Name & Number:Ollis Gunmith #05209
    I will never:
    Player:

Ex-Convict Bolter
    Name & Number:Halia Oakes #63010
    I will never:abandon what I have built here
    Player:Marshall

Convict Sable
    Name & Number:Jemmy Gunmith #05210
    I will never:again fall in love.
    Player:Rich

Pariah Croppie
    Name & Number:Kenniel Larley #54587
    I will never:
    Player:

• edited October 2011
    Ok, so I was reading the comments on a popular science article on the neuroscience of fear. A snarky commenter caught my eye by mentioning "fear gas and panic batons." I think Harmony needs fear gas and panic batons.
  • Marshall, I crossed out both fear and panic out of tones. Why are you wanting to bring them back in?
  • They aren't tones but if we're a cramped police state rocked with protests then there's going to be a lot of riot control going on. Can we call them "freedom gas" and "freedom batons?" :-)
  • I feel a bit like you're invalidating my choices, Marshall. How can we work together on this?
  • edited October 2011
    If you don't like them, that's cool (I definitely want everyone to have an equal share of agency here). They just caught my eye because, despite your choices, the description of Harmony involves riots and fear in a very clean police state as part of its description (sorry the descriptions are working against you, that kinda sucks).
    What do you think the tone of Freedom entails? How do you want to see the setting interpreted and fleshed out?
  • But the description of Harmony was your description, right? So you're pushing for the storyline you determined early on despite my tonal choices. I'm feeling railroaded.

I didn't throw out strong choices as we were building because I wanted to see how things shook out. Now I feel a bit painted in the corner.

It is just a playtest, so I can just play along if needed. But I needed to say something.
  • edited October 2011
    The description of the planet and colony are in the rules and determined by the codes BDF and VYZ. I literally cut and pasted them.
  • OK, well, that's how it goes then.
  • We should take those descriptions as a starting point, and cut out what doesn't jive and replace as needed, I think. Hey Marshall, how about those "sick sticks" from Minority Report? And also guys, how about those Sharkopaths I mentioned, as the intelligent life? Cool? I was thinking Juline could be ostensibly here studying them, but really trying to protect/free her daughter.
  • edited October 2011
    What with the glass and ceramic viewing structures dropped into the sea, there would be ample opportunity to observe the sharkopaths. Of course, maybe we didn't know that everything else would be eaten away by the corrosive fluorine levels leaving us cramped in what were supposed to be spacious, half-submerged, science centers. Now all the structures we make are prefab glass/ceramic but we can't make them very fast and the convicts keep having children (or maybe they don't, if they secretly sterilized the prisoners then the prisoners would be building an ideal world that only the colonists' children would see).
  • Oh, and they're constantly having to go around and patch leaks, naturally, because the fluorine also corrodes all caulking, adhesives, and weather stripping eventually.

And I definitely think that while muggy and oppressively hot, the air should not be poisonous or corrosive, only the water and any precipitation, like that which occurs in the somewhat frequent and entirely unpredictable super-storms. Also, I think we need to start thinking about what the Sharkopaths normally dine on (you know, before they developed a taste for human flesh). Maybe squid which are also in the process of developing full sentience? So now there are three factions competing for dominance (okay, two, since the humans only really want to survive)?
  • edited October 2011
    Cephalopods are a personal favorite. No need for them to be intelligent though, just lots and lots of them.

How intelligent are you thinking the sharkopaths to be? I'd shoot for just above chimp/dolphin intelligence. A couple hundred word voluntary signals (maybe they use sound, maybe chemicals), sophisticated hunting tactics, forethought and planning in their attacks, intricate mating rituals, vengence and remembering their dead, and/or a concept of glory and reputation (brought down biggest prey, most humans killed).
  • I dunno, I was thinking it would be cool if we thought they were of chimp level intelligence, and it turned out they were actually very smart, but just insane and incredibly violent. I was also thinking that the Sharkopath/(cephalopod) relationship to be very similar to the Morlock/Eloi relationship in The Time Machine. What do you think, Rich? Also for Rich: What does Jemmi's vow mean exactly, now that it's in the context of her husband being both alive and Captain Sharp? Does she not love him anymore for some reason?
  • Maybe they are separated but people largely don't want to risk messing with her.
  • No offense, Marshall, but I don't think Rich has gotten enough input to be invested in this. Since Jemmi is his character, I'd like that to be entirely his call. Fair?
  • edited October 2011
    I'm just throwing stuff out to see what sticks. I'm looking forward to seeing what both of you propose as well.
  • Well, we need a name for the cephalopod/eloi species, what do you propose?
  • Posted By: UserCloneI dunno, I was thinking it would be cool if we thought they were of chimp level intelligence, and it turned out they were actually very smart, but just insane and incredibly violent. I was also thinking that the Sharkopath/(cephalopod) relationship to be very similar to the Morlock/Eloi relationship in The Time Machine. What do you think, Rich? Also for Rich: What does Jemmi's vow mean exactly, now that it's in the context of her husband being both alive and Captain Sharp? Does she not love him anymore for some reason?
    I like chimp level intelligence. They could even have the concepts of tool use, which could be tricky later (if we want to go for a horror angle).

I don't think Jemmi ever loved Captain Sharp, she uses him for protection and he married her because he has a twisted sense of "doing what's right". Jemmi was caught in the throes of passion with another prisoner by her husband, so Sharp murdered him in front of her, made her watch "for education on propriety". As a result, she vowed never to love again. Plus, she's scheming to find someone to take down Sharp and she's more than happy to sleep with them and "get caught" if it ends up in a fight Sharp might lose.
  • Hey Joseph, what did the Dimber Damber do for Dencius? Or did you want to discover that in play?
  • Rich, is there any land around or is it just the prefab stuff out here in the water?
  • There *has* to be some land. Otherwise, well, we're in a Star Wars world, right? I'm thinking its silt dunes rising up. Or, it could be some prefab construct left behind by a previous inhabitant, either another alien settlement or a species long-since dead that rose out of the waters.
  • Ooo...maybe the movement of groups of Sharkopaths stirs up the silt, and over time, as the take the same migration routes, it has piled up over the centuries. Maybe that's a part of what Juline studies.
  • Shifting sands/silt could work. Maybe that's why its hard to pin down where the bolters are.
  • Yeah, a lack of concrete landmarks would do it. Oh, and if it's the convict workers' job to shift silt in order to create artificial islands, then Sharkopath attacks are a constant threat and a frequent reality.
  • Sorry if I'm getting too "a wizard did it" with the Sharkopaths.
  • They'd need some dredging ships or amphibious buldozers for that, given the toxicity of water. Maybe something enclosed to prevent sharkopaths from snatching people off the decks.
  • I'm thinking that the Dimber Damber used to be the Judge Advocate, and took the heat for something they were both involved in, but she still has concrete evidence of his involvement, so at any moment, she could put him on the other side of the power structure, and this time beneath her.