[SoY] A Whisper-Quiet Blade - BDTP Sessions

edited November 2007 in In-Game
This here thread is a second in-game thread for the Whisper-Quiet Blade game. Since Bringing Down The Pain is involved and really zooms in on the action, we'll try running the sessions here when it comes up in the other thread. Yell at me if I mess something up, I've only done this once!

Bruised[][][]
Bloodied[][]
Broken[]

edit: oliof suggested using a fixed-width format (using the appropriate tags) to include everything, which is pretty nice:
||  1  2  3  |  4  5  |  6  || Vigor | Instinct | Reason ||
|| [ ][ ][ ] | [ ][ ] | [ ] || 2/3 | 3/3 | 5/5 ||

Though my system cuts out the extra spaces required when I Control-C, so you'd have to rereformat it when you use it.

Keep this info in each post that's your 'round'. The harm will fill up with either V, I, or R. You can roll the dice yourself. Usually I do it like:

Roll: Ability Name (Skill level), Bonus dice, Penalty Dice, Sum of those.
dice(xd3)

(With the hash in front of dice to make it work. Note that you can't edit posts you've submitted that has a dice roll in it.) If you're the last in the round to go, you can post results if you like, otherwise I'll try to. Sound okay?

Comments

• The first session to do is RichD, playing Kerrik, Khalean warrior, defending his people's territory from the captain of an Ammeni bamboo warrior band, who has snuck into Khalean territory to steal a cache of moon-metal.

The captain won the conflict by three success levels, so he has three bonus dice this round. Ready Rich?
  • Yeah, I'll be kind of in and out all day but let's try this out. Should it be three success levels if I bought the advance of Spear Fighting? Just making sure I'm following the math.
  • You're right, you still have a + die. It's only two, sorry. You bought Spear-Fighting at Competent, right? I can't remember if you have enough to buy it at Adept, or if you would want to.
  • Ammenite Captain

Bruised[][][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Pools, V I R : 2/2, 2/2, 2/2
    The captain brings his bladed bamboo staff up in a quick defense to Kerrik's incoming spear-point - he is well-trained, and surely has to be.
    Roll: Bamboo Warrior, Adept(+2), two bonus dice from initial roll.
    #DiceRoller(5d3)
  • Yes, I bought Spear-fighting at Competent. Oh and my intent is, Knock out the Ammenite Commander.
    Posted By: George ShannonKerrik

Bruised[][][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Pools, V I R : 3/5, 5/5, 3/3
    The jabbing spear-point is just a distraction. Knowing his opponent has the advantage Kerrik steels himself to endure the initial onslaught and then strike
    Roll: Defensive action Endure, Adept(+2), +1 Vigor Pool.
    #DiceRoller(4d3)
  • Level 1 (Vigor) Harm to Kerrik, right? One penalty die next time.

Ammenite Captain

Bruised[][][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

The Captain's attack falters, but he manages to twist Kerrik's spear aside, and bashes the bamboo shaft of his weapon against Kerrik's weapon hands. His feet squirm on the loose terrain, making sure to keep his balance on the little thrust of land. He slashes forward again in a quick double strike,
    Roll: Straight up Bamboo Warrior, Adept (+2).
    #DiceRoller(3d3)
  • Kerrik

Bruised[x][][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Pools, V I R : 2/5, 5/5, 3/3

[blockquote] Reeling backward from the assault, Kerrik shifts his spear to one hand, ducks down to scoop up a fistful or stones and swamp muck and hurls it at his opponents face.[/blockquote]

My intention is for this to be a parallel action where Kerrik gets hit with bamboo but hopefully lands a good hit himself. I would also spend a vigor point for Secret of Throwing. So assuming all of that has GM approval, we get.

Roll: Aim, Adept +2, +1 penalty die for Bruised.
    #DiceRoller(4d3)
  • And crapola. That would be me with a level 2 harm and him dodging my mud. This is not a good day for Kerrik.
  • I'm not sure why you'd want a parallel action. His swing would still be trying to be a parallel action, and getting hit in the eyes with mud would certainly prevent him from hitting you.

Aim works as a perpendicular action, your move doesn't need to be a melee attack, if that's what you're worried about. And I figured Kerrik is well-equipped for fightin', so you have extra spears and the like if you need them.

Ammenite Captain

Bruised[][][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

With a twist surprising to his armored form, the captain dodges the improvised projectile at the last seond. He presses his attack, roaring a war-cry as he swings in a downward chop!
    Roll: Bamboo Warrior, Adept (+2), bonus die from Vigor Pool (now 1/2)
    #DiceRoller(4d3)
  • ..and apparently the captain stabs himself in the foot!
  • I wanted a parallel action because barring crap rolls like the above, he is going to whittle me down to nothing unless I score a hit on him and soon. So I was willing to take a hit to land a hit. So have I got two penalty dice now to my actions for two wounds? Or do bruised penalty dice just apply to the next action and I only have one penalty die?
  • Right - bruised penalty dice apply only to the next action, so you'll only have another this time, then you're over the shock.
  • Kerrik

Bruised[x][x][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Pools, V I R : 2/5, 5/5, 3/3

[blockquote]
    Springing upward, Kerrik hurls his spear hoping to capitalize on his opponent's mistake![/blockquote]

Roll:Aim Adept (2) +1 Penalty Die for Bruised, +1 Bonus Die for Vigor Point down to 1/5= 3 dice
    #DiceRoller(3d3)
  • Yeah, I hit him!
  • I think your IC quote blocks are messing up a bit (just FYI). Also, since Harm is of a certain type, don't forget to put a V instead of an x.

Ammenite Captain

Bruised[][V][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Pools, V I R : 1/2, 2/2, 2/2
    The spear wedges itself in the captain's armor, jutting forth like a pin in a pincushion. The look of pain on the Ammenite's face makes Kerrik think it found its way through, at least partially. His staff comes up guardedly, striking weakly.
    Roll: Bamboo Warrior, Adept (+2), +1 penalty die for the bruise
    #DiceRoller(4d3)
  • Kerrik

Bruised[V][V][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Pools, V I R : 1/5, 5/5, 3/3

Seeking to press his advantage, Kerrik swiftly pulls forth another spear and lets it fly.
    Roll: Aim, Adept (+2)
    #DiceRoller(3d3)
  • Level 3 harm on the commander, yes? Things are looking up!
  • I have a feeling whoever gets Bloodied first will lose! Pool dice get sucked away faster than candy when in BDTP, it seems.

Ammenite Captain

Bruised[][V][V]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Another spear catches the Ammenite, sinking more deeply into his armor. His grimace deepens, and he stays defensive in his strikes.
    Roll: Bamboo Warrior, Adept (+2), +1 penalty die for the bruise
    #DiceRoller(4d3)
  • Kerrik

Bruised[V][V][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Seeing the grimace fires Kerrik's hope and he aims his next spear straight for the heart.
    Roll: Aim Adept (+2)
    #DiceRoller(3d3)
  • Clearly Kerrik's hand is still slippery from the mud. Feh.
  • Well, since neither side succeeded even basically, I guess no Harm is done (heh). You can change your intention automagically if you like (since it's technically a tie), but assuming you don't:

Ammenite Captain

Bruised[][V][V]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

A clear miss on both sides gives both warriors reason to pause. The captain extends his weapon, slicing the blade on the end of the pole back and forth across exposed regions of Kerrik's flesh.
    Roll: Mixing it up with Bladework, Competent (+1), +1 bonus die from Instinct:
    #DiceRoller(4d3)
  • Kerrik

Bruised[V][V][]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Kerrik bobs and weaves to avoid the bamboo warrior's blade waiting for his moment to strike.
    Roll: Defensive action React, Competent (+1), +1 Instinct Pool Bonus Die
    #DiceRoller(4d3)
  • So level one harm, box is full, so that gets bumped up to level three harm, yes? Le sigh.
  • 'Fraid so! This is really a plinking-away-at-each-other fight.

Ammenite Captain

Bruised[][V][V]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Pools, V I R : 1/2, 1/2, 2/2
    Despite Kerrik's footwork, the captain's blade manages to cut him in several places. Rearing back, the captain reverses his grip and charges forward, looking to knock the Khalean off his feet!
    Roll: Bamboo Warrior, Adept (+2)
    #DiceRoller(3d3)
  • Kerrik

Bruised[V][V][I]
    Bloodied[][]
    Broken[]

Pools, V I R : 1/5, 4/5, 3/3
    In a move of desperation, Kerrik tosss his spear between his opponents legs to try and trip him up.
    Roll: Aim, Adept +2 +1 Penalty die for bruised, +1 bonus die for vigor point
    #DiceRoller(3d3)
  • A tie it would seem.
  • That seems to be the rule of the day. Given you are spending Pool dice, do you want to reroll both sides for this round?
  • Sure, why not?

#DiceRoller(3d3)
  • Well that's one way to break the tie. And probably a rib. :)
  • Ow!

And...

#DiceRoller(3d3)