[The Jungle] Adnan the Savvyhead

edited November 2011 in Out-Of-Game
Name: Adnan

Looks: Ambiguous, utility wear plus tech, expressive face, calm eyes, fat body.
He (let's use the male pronoun for now) is pale and fat, a large hairless body resembling an overgrown infant and a baby-like face itself, wide expressive cheeks and big, seemingly motionless sky blue eyes. He has blonde hair kept in long dreadlocks beating on his shoulders at every movement, and thick binocugoggles often covering his eyes. His clothes are almost always grey, covered in humus and dirt. He often displays a calm half smile, ready for words of wisdom and awareness.

Stats: Cool -1, Hard 0, Hot +1, Sharp +1, Weird +2

Moves

Things Speak: whenever you handle or examine something interesting, roll+weird. On a hit, you can ask the MC questions. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7–9, ask 1:
• who handled this last before me?
• who made this?
• what strong emotions have been most recently nearby this?
• what words have been said most recently nearby this?
• what has been done most recently with this, or to this?
• what’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?

Treat a miss as though you’ve opened your brain to the world’s psychic maelstrom and missed the roll.

Oftener Right: when a character comes to you for advice, tell them what you honestly think the best course is. If they do it, they take +1 to any rolls they make in the doing, and you mark an experience circle.

End of Moves

Workspace: a controlled growing environment, a relic of the past (the greenhouse), skilled labor (Carna and Thuy)
The roof of the tower is Adnan's realm, where controlled plants grow and the seeds of hope are literal. Under the construction they just call the Shinehome and do not remember having the name 'greenhouse', the fields host countless experments to isolate and modify the floral denizens of the jungle. Carna and Thuy, the assistants, accurately polish the shiny glass and fetch materials from the tower to the roof.

Special:
If you and another character have sex, they automatically speak to you, as though they were a thing and you’d rolled a 10+, whether you have the move or not. The other player and the MC will answer your questions between them. Otherwise, that move never works on people, only things.

Gear:
- oddments worth 3-barter.

Hx:
Char: +1
Monsoon: 0
Baby Duck: 0
Rue Wakeman: -1
Lawn: +2

Experience:

Advancements:
-- get +1cool (max cool+2)
-- get +1hard (max hard+2)
-- get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
-- get a new savvyhead move
-- get a new savvyhead move
-- get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting
-- get a gang (detail) for security, and leadership
-- add life support to your workspace, and now you can work on people there too
-- get a move from another playbook
-- get a move from another playbook
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-- get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
-- retire your character (to safety)
-- create a second character to play
-- change your character to a new type
-- choose 3 basic moves and advance them.
-- advance the other 4 basic moves.

Let's get in the meat of stuff, oh yeah.

Comments

• How do you imagine Adnan's expertise regarding flora? Are you more akin to a botanist or an herbalist? Are you more inclined to call it "Heracleum mantegazzianum" or "giant hogweed" or "that bigass blisterweed Thuy found by stumblin' innit"? Do you have some manner of surviving reference (like a botanical encyclopedia), a deceased mentor (or his/her copious notes), or is yours a hard-won, trial-and-error knowledge?
  • I'm going for the trial-and-error method; provided that he can speak with things, I see it as intuitive knowledge. Names are lost, in fact I'm deciding right now he can't read. So I am defintely going for 'giant hogweed' provided that the plant itself does not decide to rule the world (btw, loving the Genesis reference.) No mentor, I think: he just tried to survive like anyone did, tried to find a special knack to adapt and survive like someone did, and found it. He went into the jungle sometimes, calculating the precise moments in which the beast would not roam, and started noticing also the patterns in a plant's life cycle. He went on attuning to their rhythms and began understandind how they would function, just like things. Not without big, visible errors: look what happened to Imam, who was my assistant n.3.

( which I do not even know yet. )