[The Jungle] Lawn the skinner

edited November 2011 in Out-Of-Game
Lawn, the skinner

Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot+2 Sharp=0 Weird+1

A twenty four year old man, dressed in luxe wear -- cotton shirt and leather pants, looted from ruins of the before. He bears a striking face: chiseled features with arresting eyes of deep green. Whether hunting in the jungle, tending to animals in his care, or making love with his toned body, his hands are steady.

Moves:
Artful & gracious: when you perform your chosen art — any act of expression or culture — or when you put its product before an audience, roll+hot. On a 10+, spend 3. On a 7–9, spend 1. Spend 1 to name an NPC member of your audience and choose one:
• this person must meet me
• this person must have my services
• this person loves me
• this person must give me a gift
• this person admires my patron
On a miss, you gain no benefit, but suffer no harm or lost opportunity. You simply perform very well.

Hypnotic: when you have time and solitude with someone, they become fixated upon you. Roll+hot. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. they can spend your hold, 1 for 1, by:
• giving you something you want
• acting as your eyes and ears
• fighting to protect you
• doing something you tell them to
For NPCs, while you have hold over them they can’t act against you. For PCs, instead, any time you like you can spend your hold, 1 for 1:
• they distract themselves with the thought of you. they’re acting under fire.
• they inspire themselves with the thought of you. they take +1 right now.
On a miss, they hold 2 over you, on the exact same terms.

Hx: (I'll modify whatever y'all tell me with a +1 or -1, my choice)
Adnan (savvyhead) 0 (-1 +1) [I gave =0]
Monsoon (battlebabe) +2 (+1 +1) [my friend -- I gave +2]
Char (angel) +2 (+1 +1) [loves me -- I gave -1]
Rue Wakeman (gunlugger) +3 (+2 +1) [we are lovers -- I gave +1]
Baby Duck (chopper) +2 (+1 +1) [I gave =0]

I live among the people, but my heart is in the jungle. My quarters are on the fourth level Hightower near where the crane provides access to the building. I don't normally cary obvious weaponry, but there are always kinves here and there, easy to get at. My entire body is tatooed with a pattern of outlined vines and leaves -- it provides me with distinction, decoration and camoflage out there. I also have a loyal jaguar named Owl. We watch out for one another. I have lately been catching birds; they can be kept alive in cages, eaten or taxidermied.

Improvement:
experience: (x) () () () (.)
( ) get +1cool (max cool+2)
( ) get +1cool (max cool+2)
( ) get +1hard (max hard+2)
( ) get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
( ) get a new skinner move
( ) get a new skinner move
( ) get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting
( ) get followers (detail) and fortunes
( ) get a move from another playbook
( ) get a move from another playbook
---------------------
( ) get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)
( ) retire your character (to safety)
( ) create a second character to play
( ) change your character to a new type
( ) choose 3 basic moves and advance them.
( ) advance the other 4 basic moves.

Stuff that's come out during play
I'm not at home in the wild. Just in love with it. But I'm still a person and in the long run, the jungle chews up and spits out people. I live in The Tower because that's the only option, really. Folks have to gang up to carve out (sometimes that's literally true) a human space -- otherwise they're just compost in the end. And it's an easier job in the ruins of the ancients. The jungle has her way with those, too; but if we work hard and cut her back, we can keep the concrete from turning to dust, we can grow edible and medicinal plants and we can keep livestock. We can keep human society limping along. But it's all so ugly and unnatural -- the things of beauty have mostly faded from the world and so the most prevalent source of that kind of thing is the wilderness. And I just have to get back to that pretty often to feel right inside.

Oh, I'm aware that I have a certain affect on people and I use it to my advantage. I don't think I'd call it malicious, but if folks are made happy by bringing me pretty things and watching my back, who am I to object? I think of my space in the tower as a temple, properly appointed and equipped and I'll share that with people who are good to me. Likewise, I practice my various arts but I don't hoard the product of my effort -- I prefer it to be out there, shared with others. I prefer to touch people with instances of grace and things of beauty whenever possible.

I have staked out a spacious suite on the fourth floor and spent substantial effort appointing it nicely. The exterior wall was once concrete and glass, but has been largely destroyed or salvaged for other purposes and now it's simply open to the air. It provides an excellent view of the jungle kept mostly at bay though sometimes air-borne intruders have better access to my space than I would prefer. The crane's drop point is right outside my domain on what used to be a landing of the multi-story lobby. As a result, I have easy access to the outside world and also to those coming and going. The advantages of this space make up for the lower status accorded to the lower levels of the tower. One particular aspect of my suite is that when it rains, which is pretty frequent, I imagine -- an implication of the word jungle, water sluices down the building and into my area. I've carved out a deep depression and some overflow channels to moderate things, but I have something of a pond right in my main room.

I have thus far managed to steer clear of any obligation to the Vigilants. That's good because gang membership is for suckers. And it's bad because sometimes they fuck with me and I can't fall back on fraternity to avoid conflict. So far it's been OK.

Comments