Don't Rest Your Head? (Pitch and OOC)

edited December 2011 in Out-Of-Game
I'm looking for one or two frequent visitors to Snail's Pace and heavy posters (3 to 5 posts pe day) to play some Don't Rest Your Head. I'm thinking we could do a short game of it and see how it plays on forum. I'm happy to GM this fun little game of madness in the sleepless city of forever night.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• The PDF is $5 on indiepressrevolution, definitely worth checking out.
  • Max is in. Max, let me know when you want to start talking through the character. Here are the character sheet questions:

My Name Is . . .
    And I Am . . .
    What’s been keeping you awake?
    What just happened to you?
    What’s on the surface?
    What lies beneath?
    What’s your path?

Discipline (you'll start with 3)
    Permanent Madness (you'll start with 0)
    Current Exhaustion (we will talk about that, I'm thinking of starting you off with 1)
    Responses: Fight? ooo OR Flight? ooo

Talents
    Exhaustion Talent:

Madness Talent:
  • testing die rolling:

Discipline: #DiceRoller( 3d6 )
    Exhaustion: #DiceRoller( 3d6 )
    Madness: #DiceRoller( 1d6 )

Pain: #DiceRoller( 6d6 )
  • In the example roll above, the following things would happen.

The Player won the contest (player's pools are discipline, exhaustion and madness, player counts up 1s, 2s, and 3s vs. GM's pool of Pain; Player had 5 successes, GM had 1 success).

Pain dominated the roll (the Pool had two sixes, the highest dice of any of the pools rolled) and will color the outcome. The player would pay a coin into the GM's Despair coffer.

Alternatively, the GM, if he already had a Coin of Despair, could spend two Coins of Despair to remove his sixes, which would then put Exhaustion into the dominating pool. This would increase the Player's Exhausting pool by one and then the result of the player's effort would be tied from their successful effort.
  • the one page synopsis of the rules:
    Rules Summary
    • Once per roll, you may increase your exhaustion by one.
    • Any time you roll, you may add one to six dice of temporary madness to your roll.
    • To determine the degree of success, count the dice that show 1, 2, or 3.
    • To determine the strength of a pool, find the die of that color showing the highest number.
    • If you meet or beat the GM’s degree, you succeed. Otherwise, you fail.
    • To determine what dominates, pick the pool with the highest strength.
    • If discipline dominates, things stay under control. You have the option to remove a response check-mark or decrease your exhaustion by one.
    • If exhaustion dominates, your resources are taxed. Increase exhaustion by one.
    • If madness dominates, things get more chaotic. Check off a response and behave accordingly.
    • If pain dominates, you pay a greater price. Pay a coin into the GM’s despair coffer.
    • If exhaustion is increased above 6, you crash.
    • If you must check off a response, but can’t, you snap.
    • If you crash, you fall asleep, or face some other serious defeat (like death).
    • If you snap, you go mad for a time, clear out your responses, lose one discipline, and gain one permanent madness.
    • If you lose all discipline, you become a Nightmare. You’re an NPC now.
    • To make minor use of an exhaustion talent, your exhaustion must be at least one. On the affected roll, your minimum number of successes is equal to your current level of exhaustion.
    • To make major use of an exhaustion talent, you must increase your exhaustion by one, and you may add your current level of exhaustion to the roll, as successes.
    • To make use of a madness talent, you must add one to six temporary madness dice to the roll, as determined by the GM for the potency of the effect.
    • The GM may spend one coin of despair to add or remove a 6 from any pool in play; the coin pays into hope. If this causes pain to dominate, no coin is paid into the despair coffer.
    • Any player may spend one coin of hope to remove one exhaustion, or to remove a check mark from fight or flight, or to add a 1 to the protagonist’s discipline pool.
    • Any player may spend five minus discipline in coins of hope to recover one point of discipline and remove one point of permanent madness.
  • by the way, I am happy to run this like a one shot at a con and walk a second player (and/or Max) through the game rules and guide you thourhg chargen.
  • edited December 2011
  • Sweet! You're in, Michael, glad to have you on board.

Okay guys, let's talk characters.
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
  • Yah, you save 50 cents at Evil Hat's store, true.

I like the pic, Michael.
  • edited December 2011
    Before we get further, I'd like to try out the Same Page Tool (found here) for this mini-series and as a way to get to know your play styles a bit more.

1. Do you play to win?

a) Yes, you totally play to win! The win conditions are…
    b) Good play isn’t a win/lose kind of thing

2. Player characters are:

a) expected to work together; conflicts between them are mostly for show
    b) expected to work together; but major conflicts might erupt but you’ll patch them up given some time
    c) expected to work together; major conflicts might erupt and never see reconciliation
    d) pursuing their own agendas – they might work together, they might work against each other
    e) expected to work against each other, alliances are temporary at best

3. The GM’s role is:

a) The GM preps a set of events – linear or branching; players run their characters through these events. The GM gives hints to provide direction.
    b) The GM preps a map with NPCs and/or monsters. The players have their characters travel anywhere they can reach on the map, according to their own goals.
    c) The GM has no plan – the GM simply plays the NPCs and has them act or react based on their motivations
    d) There’s no GM. Everyone works together to make the story through freeform.
    e) There’s no GM. The rules and the system coordinate it all.

4. The players’ roles are…

a) …to follow the GM’s lead to fit the story
    b) …to set goals for their characters, and pursue them proactively
    c) …to fling their characters into tough situations and make hard, sometimes, unwise choices

5. Doing the smartest thing for your character’s survival…

a) …is what a good player does.
    b) …sometimes isn’t as important as other choices
    c) …isn’t even a concern or focus for this game.

6. The GM’s role to the rules is…

a) …follow them, come what may. (including following house rules)
    b) …ignore them when they conflict with what would be good for the story
    c) …ignore them when they conflict with what “should” happen, based either on realism, the setting, or the genre

7. After many sessions of play, during one session, a player decides to have her character side with an enemy. This is…

a) …something that shouldn’t even happen. This is someone being a jerk.
    b) …where the character becomes an NPC, right away or fairly soon.
    c) …something the player and the GM should have set up ahead of time.
    d) …only going to last until the other player characters find out and do something about it.
    e) …a meaningful moment, powerful and an example of excellent play.
  • I really appreciate your answers. I realize our one shot isn't the best fit for the tool on a couple notes, but this gives me a good insight.
  • Michael, if you want to start talking about you guitarist in this thread, that's cool with me.
  • how are things coming along, Max?
  • edited December 2011
  • This is a good start. Can you add in a bit on the What Just Happened, make it more immediate? You're basically building or framing the introduction scene for your PC here.
  • That's much better!
  • Max and Michael, I'd like it if there was at least a tenuous link of some kind between your two characters, from same city, work at same building, went to college together, something like that.
  • Dang, it would have been awesome to play with you here, too, but I understand Rustin. Better to know your posting limits. We still have Lady B!
  • edited December 2011