Monster of the Week OOC (was Team and PC Concepts)

edited December 2011 in Out-Of-Game
Monster of the Week is an Apocalypse World hack that is out on Indie Go Go until January 29, 2012.

It uses the Apoc World rules and a few minor tweaks to create a modern day monster hunting RPG similar to TV shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, X-Files and Supernatural. I'm still reading through the 174 main book, but I really dig what I've seen so far.

The designer has sent me a zip file of the playbooks and gave me permission to share with interested players.

Is anyone interested in giving this a whirl? I hesitate to say I can commit to MCing it full time, so if someone has a hankering to be the MC, please step up. If not, I will run it at a snails pace for a while.

Comments

• I'm interested.
    I could possibly MC as well.
  • I was going to propose monsterhearts after the holidays, sounds similar. Do you know how they compare?
  • Sounds interesting to me.
  • Interested, especially cause it's something new. Would love to compare to the other game I mentioned.
  • I'm going through the playbooks. Since the Divine has a Thunder Hammer, I'd really want a Bolt Pistol and Chainsword for my other weapons. Out of what I've read, I'm most interested in The Snoop.
  • The Professional reminds me of that con game of Cthulutech that I played where I was the Mama Bear of a Tager team. I should play that again sometime.

Also, I have ideas for The Monstrous, The Mundane, and The Spooky. This looks fun.
  • On general concept, I'm definitely game.
  • edited December 2011
    Looking over the playbooks, I like them kind of in uncertain order:
    Monstrous, Spooky, Flake, Chosen

I can see a character concept for each, though I'd want to adjust a thing or two on the monstrous.
  • I've got a pretty good concept for the Professional. Dig what I see so far.
  • If I'm playing this I'd probably go for the Spooky, that is, without a team concept to work with. Might change depending on the team.
  • @octoscott, I don't know Monsterhearts, so I can't compare.

Looks like we have a Snoop, Professional and a Spooky so far. I like the Wronged myself. I think Rustin is interested in giving it a go as MC. I think we should rotate "weeks", meaning Rustin runs it for a bit, then he switches off and someone else MCs. Think of it like different directors on a TV show for multiple episodes. I think it could be fun.

Let's talk team concepts.
  • Abbridged excerpts from the Beta version of the book on Team Concepts:

Here are some example team concepts to use as is, or as inspiration:

Slayer and Entourage
    There's a chosen one, and their support group. Hopefully, together you'll be able to save the world. The team has a Chosen, who is at the centre of things.

The Unexplained Cases Team
    The Agency needs a team to handle all the weird stuff regular agents don't understand. That's the Unexplained Cases Team. They're used to it.

Road-tripping Hunter Family
    The family trade is hunting monsters, and you've got good at finding them.

The Order
    You are all members of an ancient order of monster slayers.

-----------------------------------------

With the choices you guys have mentioned, an Unexplained Cases Team seems to fit. We could also work to The Order or Road-Tripping Hunter Family pretty easily, too.
  • I personally like the Hard Case myself. I may port over Rue Wakeman since it looks like The Jungle is dead.
  • I'm not trying to put myself at the center of things, but it seems like a Snoop could have a team of crew/contacts/etc. as well?
  • Max, I think that could work, yeah. And why not put yourself at the center of things? You're an excellent gamer and reliable poster.
  • Interesting character mix.
  • Let's do a head count. We got 4 players?
  • Yes, four have spoken up. So far, the interested parties are as follows:
    Rustin: MC (you should make up a PC in case we flip MCing around)
    orklord: Hard Case
    octoscott: Spooky
    Max B: Snoop
    Niko: Professional
  • What kind of Pulp dial do you all want to set?

0= gritty, near-realistic
    10= over-the-top fantastical monster battles.
  • edited January 2012
    I could range between 3 to 5 myself.

(edited based on Rustin's explanations of the ranges)
  • I've watched up to season 5 of Supernatural. I could keep it to the level of Supernatural pulp, which I'd say falls into the 2-4 zone. Buffy goes 4-7. Where maybe Men in Black hits the 8-9 zone.

Any other examples you can all think of?
  • I'd like to stay around the middle I like "home" stuff, too. Dealing with everyday lives at least a little bit.
  • We want to be linked to a particular city?
  • Let's figure out the concept. If we center around the snoop then we may not be an "agency" but more of a private affair. I don't know if we sound like a road tripping family, but that seems the closest. I do like to have a home to come back to and to "fight to protect"
  • I'd like a "home", too. What about New Orleans? It would be a great place to hunt and fight, lots of color, too.
  • I was thinking ozarks... pretty close.
  • NoLo works for sure. Especially post-Katrina. The flood woke something up.
  • Someone throw something out concrete to act as a creative seed. Snoop is a good place to start. Cable show? Podcast show? What is the core to this guy or gal? Maybe he or she has a weekly show where they interview the Spooky for psychic insight, on camera.
  • Oh man.... if we do podcast, I would so tie it into my podcast feed somehow....
  • On a selfish note, I ran a Vampire game set in New Orleans in college. I would love to play the flip side of the coin and hunt those ponsie turds.