Comments

• red
    edited October 2012

Pictures

• red
    edited February 2013

Look

Woman, scrounge wear plus utility, pretty face, guarded eyes, compact body

Bones is surprisingly strong for her petite size, no doubt the result of hauling deadweight bodies out of harm’s way. She’d estimate herself to be somewhere in her early twenties. (Who has time to keep track of their age anymore?) She has dark hair that hangs to her shoulders, but is usually pulled back in a messy ponytail while she’s working. She is withdrawn and guarded around other people, even Ambrose, her lover. She's really good at what she does, healing people. She came to the hold with Ambrose several years ago, but no one really knows anything about her past.

She holds everyone at arm's length, except for those stolen moments when she heals people with her healing touch. The closeness and vulnerability of those moments both terrify and captivate her.

Stats

• Cool=1
    • Hard+1
    • Hot=0
    • Sharp+3
    • Weird+3

Moves

Healing touch: When you put your hands skin-to-skin on a wounded person and open your brain to them, roll+weird. On a 10+, heal 1 segment. On a 7–9, heal 1 segment, but you’re acting under fire from your patient’s brain. On a miss: first, you don’t heal them. Second, you’ve opened both your brain and theirs to the world’s psychic maelstrom, without protection or preparation. For you, and for your patient if your patient’s a fellow player’s character, treat it as though you’ve made that move and missed the roll. For patients belonging to the MC, their experience and fate are up to the MC.

Touched by death: whenever someone in your care dies, you get +1weird (max +3).

Battlefield grace: while you are caring for people, not fighting, you get +1armor

Professional compassion: you can choose to roll+sharp instead of roll+Hx when you help someone who’s rolling.

Direct-brain whisper projection (BRAINER): you can roll+weird to get the effects of going aggro, without going aggro. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact. If your victim forces your hand, your mind counts as a weapon (1-harm ap close loud-optional).

Charismatic (HOCUS):when you try to manipulate someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot

Angel Special:If you and another character have sex, your Hx with them on your sheet goes immediately to +3, and they immediately get +1 to their Hx with you on their sheet. If that brings their Hx with you to +4, they reset it to +1 instead, as usual, and so mark experience.
  • red
    edited June 2012

Gear

• angel kit
    • a big knife (1 small practical weapon).
    • A random assortment of small trinkets she’s taken off people who’ve died in her care (oddments worth 1-barter).

Bones wears a collection of scavenged clothes, primarily some roughly made cut off shorts, dirty tank tops, and an oversized plaid shirt over top. She has an old pair of steel toed boots that are slightly too big for her feet, but offer good protection from things hidden under the snow. She also has an old leather biker jacket that is miserable to wear in the sweltering heat, but does a damn good job deflecting a knife (worth 1-armor).
  • red
    edited February 2013

Hx

Grekkor: (-3) I left you there, bleeding into the snow.
    Amiette: (+3)
    Alonzo: (+1)
    Winter: (+2)
    Winona: (=0) She thinks I'm poor.
    Never: (-1) I think you've doomed yourself by letting so many people close to you.
    Ambrose: (+2) You've always been by my side.
  • red
    edited February 2013

Improvement

XP: [x] [x] [x] [x] [>]
    x get +1sharp (max sharp+3)
    x get +1cool (max cool+2)
    __ get +1hard (max hard+2)
    __ get +1hard (max hard+2)
    x get +1weird (max weird+2)
    x get a new angel move
    x get a new angel move
    __ get 2 gigs (detail) and moonlighting
    x get a move from another playbook
    x get a move from another playbook

x get +1 to any stat (max stat+3)[COOL]
    __ retire your character (to safety)
    __ create a second character to play
    __ change your character to a new type
    x choose 3 basic moves and advance them.
    x advance the other 4 basic moves.
  • Q: How did you learn how to heal people? Is it mundane only or do you have Healing Touch?

When I was younger, I was "gifted" with a healing touch. I don’t know why but one day when I touched a hurt girl, I felt my brain connect to something I didn’t understand, and her broken skin pulled back together. At first I thought it was a blessing, being able to heal cuts and scrapes and then broken bones, knife wounds, sickness, and disease. But then as people continued to die, I started believing that these powers were a curse. I had no choice in who they saved. It was fate, and fate likes to screw with you.

I fell in with a rough gang during a low point. Hadn't eaten much for weeks. They called me "Bones." I didn't complain. It was perfectly clear that I had to make the choice to be useful or be used, so I became their angel.

I got lucky in that I learn fast, but I paid for every death and screwup with my own body. I hated them, but after a while I figured out things like how to stitch a wound closed, how to cut off an infected leg, how to start someone’s heart back up, and how to bribe the angry survivors when I couldn’t. Maybe this touch I have helped me, but it’s not as reliable as sutures and morphine. No matter where I am, I'm damned if I fail to prove useful, but I refuse to let freak powers determine the specifics for me. I’ve learned all I know about putting bodies back together in order to save my ass.
  • Q: Do people come to you when they're hurt or do you just like, find them?

“There’s no end to them. They come to me, nonstop as the snow. Bleeding, broken, dying, desperate. They threaten me, and they beg me, and I’ve really no choice in the matter.”

She hesitates, looking down at where the needle of the syringe is pumping sedatives into your veins. Her face blurs slightly as she looks back up at you.

“Sometimes though...sometimes I find them myself. Some poor bastard bleeding in an alley or an abandoned child burning with fever. It’s different then, when I’ve a choice. I could walk away if I wanted to, and sometimes I do.”

“But then sometimes I’m kneeling beside them before I even realize it, trying to save their miserable life for no reason I can think of except this weakness I can’t beat. I don’t do it for them, I do it for me. When I open my brain and theirs, the rush that fills me beats nothing else. I’m no good with beautiful words like Ambrose, but there’s just something in it that makes me no better than a damn junkie. While I’m trying to stop them from bleeding all over the snow, I feel so close to them and the words just spill out of me. Everything I’ve kept inside, everything I think about, everything I wish for.”

“It’s almost easier if they die. When they slip away into the unknown, carrying all my secrets, it’s almost like having a friend. When they wake up and cuss me out for their aches and pains and then eventually walk away complaining of my price, it’s like a knife stabbing deep. I watch them swagger around, nothing more than the worthless shits they are, and I promise myself I won’t do it again.”
  • Q: Tell me a secret you haven't shared with anyone. A secret guilt. What do you want forgiveness for?

Sometimes you get so good at keeping a secret that you start keeping it from yourself too.

I was ten years old when he died. I only ever think of him as “that boy.” I keep him faceless, nameless in my head. But the truth is that he was my brother. He was my brother, my best friend, and I killed him.

His name was Dune. He was two years older than me and the middle child. I was the youngest, the only girl. Then there was Wolf, the oldest. We were never close. He thought I was a pest, a silly rebellious child. And then after, he hated me more than anyone left in the world. But everyone loved Dune, and me and Wolf loved him most of all. Dune was the only one who knew about my powers. He was the one who told me it was ok. He was the one who looked at me with trust when he was bleeding in the snowy street. He’d slipped off the old tower we’d been climbing on. The tower that was off limits. The tower that I’d convinced him to climb. He thought I could heal him. I thought I could too.

The rush felt different that time. It was stronger, harsher. I felt like I was taking something, but I didn’t understand until Wolf pulled me off, screaming. Dune was dead, his body crumpled and small in Wolf’s arms. Wolf would’ve killed me right there in the street if Pa hadn’t been with him. They both got that look, that determined, grim, clenched jaw. I knew then that I wouldn’t be spared, despite being their kin.

After the hold banished me, shoving me out into the silent snow and barring the gate behind me, I didn’t pound on the walls and beg to be let back in. I just walked. I knew I’d never have their forgiveness, but most of all I knew I’d never forgive myself.

A couple years back, I heard tell that a man named Wolf was lookin’ for a healer named Emmy. Deep down there’s still a little girl in my heart who longs for his forgiveness. But that’s as unlikely as wakin’ up to find all the snow gone. So instead I keep my head down and pray he never finds me.
  • Q: Bones, what is the psychic maelstrom like for you? What do you experience when your brain is opened up to this?

I can understand why Amiette calls it “the smoke.” I’ve felt it curl around me, thick an’ heavy. To me it’s more of a presence though, like somethin’ living moving through the air. So I’ve come to call it the Spector based off an old book cover I saw once. It had a picture of this ghostly shape surrounding a person with what looked like hands reachin' into their chest. It was like an embrace, but a horrifyin' one. It felt pretty accurate.

When I open my brain with someone else’s, the Spector rushes in like opening up a floodgate. It’s much more about the feeling of it than what I see, but if I really focus, I can sometimes remember images. I always do go somewhere with the person. I think the Spector usually takes us some place meaningful to whatever person I’m tryin’ to fix. It’s hard to remember afterwards though, mostly vague recollections of sitting on a soft fabric or the feeling of cool dirt under my hands or a brightly colored wall.

More than what I see, it’s an overwhelming sense of closeness. It’s different and even more intimate than sex. It’s like the Spector has reached into both of us and intertwined our very souls together. It goes right through all my guards and settles a firm hand...or claw...around my heart. I hardly feel the horror of it anymore cause the rush of it makes me feel...full, complete. Like before I was missin’ all these huge pieces out of myself and I didn’t even realize it. I’ve only done it a few times and been able to keep from babbling all my thoughts and feelings. Thankfully my patients seem unable to remember most of what happens and what I say. but maybe that’s just cause they’re usually half conscious, moaning in pain, or bleedin’ everywhere.

The healing is somethin’ I can’t explain. My best guess is that when the Spector binds us together, it’s able to use my lifeforce as a tool to fix their wounds. I can feel this pull on me during it, sometimes it pulls too hard and I end up payin’ for their health with my own. When someone dies, it feels more like I’m pullin’ on them, even if I don’t want to be. It’s a dreadful thing, feelin’ like you’re draining the life from 'em when you’re tryin’ to save 'em. I don’t know why or how it chooses who to save. It’s far from reliable, far from trustworthy, far from a, a blessing, But I can’t be rid of it.

If I’m honest with myself, I don’t want to be rid of it. Despite the potential risk, the potential pain, I keep going back. The rush is my addiction.

When I open just my brain on my own, it feels like walkin’ into the home of the Spector, an empty, lonely expanse. It taunts me with whispers, snatches of voices, but if I try to seek them out, to feel that closeness, they vanish. It’s like being connected with mocking ghosts instead of a living breathing person. I often wonder if the Spector is full of the souls of all the people who’ve died in my care. Sometimes they tell me things, helpful or not. Sometimes they’re silent. Sometimes they simply sob or laugh. But they’re always there, waiting for me to let them in.
  • edited December 2012
    Alonzo is Holding 2, 1 over Bones to be used 1 for 1 as XP.
  • Advancing 3 basic moves: Manipulate/Seduce, Read a Person, and Open Brain
  • When you try to seduce or manipulate someone, tell them what you want and roll+hot. For NPCs: on a hit, they ask you
    to promise something first, and do it if you promise. On a 10+, whether you keep your promise is up to you, later. On a 7–9,
    they need some concrete assurance right now. For PCs: on a 10+, both. On a 7–9, choose 1:
    * if they do it, they mark improvement
    * if they refuse, it’s acting under fire
    What they do then is up to them.

On a 12+, only if they’re an NPC, they do it, and furthermore you change their nature. Choose one of the following; tell the MC
    to erase their threat type altogether and write it in instead.
    * ally: friend (impulse: to back you up)
    * ally: lover (impulse: to give you shelter & comfort)
    * ally: right hand (impulse: to follow through on your intentions)
    * ally: representative (impulse: to pursue your interests in your absence)
    * ally: guardian (impulse: to intercept danger)
    * ally: confidante (impulse: to give you advice, perspective, or absolution.)
  • edited December 2012
    When you read a person, roll+sharp. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1. While you’re interacting with them, spend your hold to ask their player questions, 1 for 1:
    * is your character telling the truth?
    * what’s your character really feeling?
    * what does your character intend to do?
    * what does your character wish I’d do?

On a 12+, hold 3, but spend them 1 for 1 to ask any question you want, not limited to the list
  • When you open your brain to the world’s psychic maelstrom, roll+weird. On a hit, the MC will tell you something new and
    interesting about the current situation, and ask you a question or two; answer them. On a 10–11, the MC will give you good
    detail. On a 7–9, the MC will give you an impression. If you already know all there is to know, the MC will tell you that.

On a 12+, you reach through the world’s psychic maelstrom to what’s beyond it.
  • Advancing the other 4 basic moves for my next advance.