[BPRD] Penny the Spooky

edited September 2012 in In-Game

Penelope Snow

Penelope Snow was born to a woman called Helen Snow, Deceased. Or at least that's how it was always written on paper. There was no father listed, but Penny didn't mind terribly. A mysterious father could be anyone, like a king or a pirate or even a movie star! Penny grew up in a multitude of foster homes. Most were short lived experiences, the longest being just over one year. Penny tried to be good, she really did. But her foster families always found her to be rather unsettling at best. At age 8 she was scheduled for an intensive psychiatric evaluation upon rather insistent recommendations from previous foster homes. After the evaluation revealed that Penny had a habit of carrying on conversations with people no one else could see, an uncanny ability to answer questions before they were actually asked, and vividly frightening hallucinations, Penny was admitted to St. Mary's Asylum for the Mentally Insane.

It really wasn't so bad, as asylums go. The pills were bad at first. She had to fight to stay awake and the smell of food made her immediately sick. Once she figured out that she could use her powers to make the nurses think they'd seen her take the pills, it got a lot better. So every day she flushed a rainbow of pills down the toilet and imagined sewer rats eating them like candy. The psychiatrists asked a lot of strange questions, but they were nice enough. The other patients thought such interesting things, although they did not seem to feel comfortable around Penny. She tried really hard to make friends with them, but they usually began to shriek or swing at her if she got too close. So instead she made friends with the ghosts that haunted the asylum, and the white walls really did make it easier to imagine that she was somewhere else, like a forest or a mountain top or an opera! Penny sometimes imagined breaking out, dramatically, like an escaped convict, but she had no home to run away to like the prisoners in movies. St. Mary's was her home. At least on paper.

• red
    edited January 2013

20 year old girl
    large unblinking eyes
    slender frame
    neatly dressed

• 9mm (2-harm close loud)
    • Big knife (1-harm hand)

Charm +1
    Cool =0
    Sharp +1
    Tough -1
    Weird +3

• Hallucinations
    • Secrets
    • Poor Impulse Control
  • red
    edited March 2013

Telepathy. You can read people's thoughts and put words in their mind. This can allow you to investigate a mystery or read a bad situation without needing to actually talk. You can also manipulate someone without speaking. You still roll the moves as normal, except people won't expect the weirdness of your mental communication.

The Sight. You can see the invisible, especially spirits and magical influences. You may communicate with (maybe even make deals with) the spirits you can see, and you have more opportunities to spot clues when you investigate a mystery.

The Big Whammy. You can use your powers to kick some ass: roll +Weird instead of +Tough. The attack has 2-harm close obvious ignore-armour. On a miss, you'll get a magical backlash.

Premonitions. At the start of each mystery, roll +Weird. On a 10+, you get a detailed vision of something bad that is yet to happen. You take +1 forward to prevent it coming true, and mark experience if you stop it. On a 7-9+ you get clouded images of something bad that is yet to happen: mark experience if you stop it. On a miss, you get a vision of something bad happening to yourself. The Keeper holds 3, to be spent 1-for-1 on penalties on rolls you make.

Tune In: You can attune your mind to a monster or minion. Roll +Weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. On a miss, the monster becomes aware of you. Spend hold to ask the Keeper one of the following questions, and gain +1 ongoing when acting on the answers:
    •Where is the creature right now?
    •What is it planning to do right now?
    •Who is it going to attack next?
    •Who does it regard as the biggest threat?
    •How can I attract its attention?
  • red
    edited March 2013

[x] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
    x Get +1 Weird, max +3
    __ Get +1 Charm, max +2
    __ Get +1 Cool, max +2
    __ Get +1 Sharp, max +2
    x Take another Spooky move
    x Take another Spooky move
    __ Change some or all of your dark side tags.
    __ Get a mystical library, like the Expert's haven option
    __ Take a move from another playbook
    __ Take a move from another playbook

After you have leveled up five times, you qualify for advanced improvements in addition to these. They are in the list below.

Advanced Improvements
    __ Get +1 to any rating, max +3.
    __ Change this hunter to a new type.
    __ Make up a second hunter to play as well as this one.
    __ Mark two of the basic moves as advanced.
    __ Mark another two of the basic moves as advanced.
    __ Retire this hunter to safety.
    __ Erase one used luck mark from your playbook.
    __ You discover how to use your powers at a lower price. Delete one dark side tag permanently.
  • red
    edited January 2013

When you suffer harm, mark of the number of boxes equal to harm suffered. When you reach four harm, tick “Unstable.”
    Okay [ ] [ ] [ ] | [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] Dying // Unstable: [ ] (Unstable injuries will worsen as time passes)

You can mark off a Luck box to either change a roll you just made to a 12, as if you had rolled that; or change a wound you have just taken to count as just 0-harm. If your Luck boxes all get filled, you've run out of good luck. As you mark off Luck, your dark side's needs will get nastier.
    Okay [x] [x] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] Doomed
  • red
    edited November 2012
    I took the Spooky move Premonitions for my first advance.
    +1 to Weird for my second advance.
  • For my 3rd advance I took the Spooky "Tune In" move, which is pretty perfectly named for this scenario! :)
  • Sweet. Tune into me! Ask who I'm going to attack next!
  • Oh there will be tuning. Just you wait.