[A Wicked Plague] Chapter 1, Scene 4

RusRus
edited February 2008 in In-Game
…as Jesper talks to Mahdi.. (See Scene 3)

DUSK. A VILLAGE STREET.

ELOS and GATHAS see KITSUNE approach her lavish home. One of the only buildings in town made of black granite, hauled in from the Bandar Abbas quarry.

Kitsune appears flustered. She is muttering to herself as she pulls out her key ring and approaches the tall, oak doors that secure her home. The lock is a bronze wrought face of a goat.

“Is this the woman you had in mind Elos?” Gathas curls into the shadows of the street and observes. “So, name your torment. What would you have done to this strange lady?”

Gathas, always one to enjoy causing trouble, looks eager to have some malicious fun. “I’m curious what good-natured torment looks like. You are still a good person now that you’re dead, aren’t you Elos? So tell me, what happens next?”

Gathas smiles his grey-black smile and waits.

Comments

• Elos Anamed throws up his arms in disgust, pointing a gnarled finger at Gathas.

"You are the demon! If I wanted to have a hand in tormenting this woman, don't you think I'd have done it?" He shakes his head. "I don't have the mind of a devil, best you stay to what you do best and I will stay to what I do best. I don't care what befalls her as long as the wayhouse remains standing."
  • “Good evening Madam,” says Gathas as he drifts from the shadows. “My name is Gathas. And you are?”

Kitsune pauses, holding her house key tightly. She’s been pulled from some deep thought. “What’s it to you?”

“Well, it just so happens that I might be able to help you.”
    “With what? What do you know about me?” Kitsune’s eyes dart back and forth. She looks behind her, then back again assessing Gathas fine clothes. “You look familiar.”

“It has come to my attention that you seek to destroy the wayhouse.”

Kitsune looks at Gathas with deep suspicion. “What did Jesper tell you? Are you one of his cronies, one of his lap dogs, one of his vile..”

Gathas interrupting: “No, not at all. You know Jesper?”

“Of course, everyone knows the Executioner. He’s probably one of the most powerful men in this town.” Her eyes focus far away. “So if he didn’t send you, how do you know this about the wayhouse?”

“How I know this isn’t really what you should be asking yourself. You should ask yourself ‘why do I think I can help you.’ And I can. I’m very resourceful. You can either take my help, or . . . earn my ire.” A quiet, howling, rush of voidless wind takes the street. The leaves and dust dance between their feet. Gathas smiles.

Kitsune, realizing what she’s up against, reaches to her pocket and clasps a protective charm. “I’m not one to turn down help. But I’m also one to know nothing is free in this world. What’s the catch?”

“Let’s just say I’ve made a bargain.” Gathas looks directly at Elos. “Let’s say I’ve made a bargain to keep the wayhouse safe. And in exchange I will get something in return. Now, I understand you want to burn it down. Why? What’s in it for you? Maybe we can reach an agreement.”

“A bargain?”

“Yes, I do like that word: a bargain. I help you get what you want without burning down the wayhouse. And we all win.”

“And otherwise?”

“You don’t want to know otherwise.” The wind abruptly stops howling. The sudden silence holds ominously in the air.

“You make a persuasive argument, Gathas. Care to join me inside for some brandy, and we can discuss things?”

“Of course.”

Kitsune unlocks her door, her hand is slightly shaking, and the pair enters. The door clicks shut with a magical snap. With a whisper in strange tongues the lock receives a warding. Elos feels how it repulses and rejects him.
  • Despair sinks into the heart of Elos Anamed as the door closes him out in the cold and his mind bristles with thoughts of the cunning treachery Gathas may be plotting against him. He holds out his hand, testing the strength of the warding. Amateur, he thinks, pressing his ghostly form against it. With a sharp thrust of his will, the protection shatters like thin glass and he enters the dwelling.

(I'm assuming you'll want to contest.)
  • Yes, Kitsune can and would interfere. Lets roll initiative.
    I'm going to go with her Self-Protection.
  • Kitsune: Initiative: Self Protection

#DiceRoller( 1d12 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • Elos Anamed: Initiative: Directly & For Myself

#DiceRoller( 1d4 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • Kitsune: Answer: Self Protection

#DiceRoller( 1d12 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • Elos goes on the Owe List
  • Kitsune shifts and turns. She glowers at the door, sensing the ward as it falls apart.
    "Spirits," she whispers to Gathas. From a small jar, with a wry smile, she pulls out a lamb's kidney, infused with living-death. She smears the tissue on her door.

"What sorts of hosts follow you?" she asks Gathas. "The last spirit to try my house suffered the taste of living-death. You'd think she would have told her friends. Most spirits prefer being dead. A taste of living, even just a bit, drives them mad with sorrow."
  • edited February 2008
    Elos Anamed: Initiative: Round 2

#DiceRoller( 1d4 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • Kitsune: Initiative: Round 2: Self-Protection and Advantage Dice.

#DiceRoller( 1d12 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )

#DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • The ichors of living-death seep through the door and touch Elos’ ghostly form, evoking memories of love and lost passions which flood over him, consume his thoughts and make him wish he could weep.
  • Elos Anamed: Answer: Round 2

#DiceRoller( 1d4 )
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • What if, Elos returns to the wayhouse, where he materializes, wails, moans and grieves -- which cripples his ability to love. (Losing a die size from his With Love form making it a 1d10).

Or

Injured.
  • I'll take it. Why don't you go ahead and start the next scene with Kitsune & Mahdi. I'll finish this thread up with Elos at the wayhouse when I have a second.