[DW] Playing Dungeon World

edited October 2012 in Pitch

Comments

• I'm interested in playing.
  • I had a lot of fun last time.
  • More a vote of confidence. Let me know if you need another player to make it work though.
  • I'd like to play. I can commit to post up to twice a day.
  • I, too, am interested in playing. Scott and Rich know me through an AW game.

I'm, uh, Jeff.
  • edited October 2012
  • hey, so we're clear, I'm cool with bowing out to give someone new a place in this game. I was more interested in watching how Michael GMs than anything. I can do that on the sidelines.
  • Any thoughts on classes?

I've narrowed it down to thief, cleric, fighter or paladin. My choice will probably reflect what everyone else takes, and also on what kind of setting we're working with.
  • Okay. I remain uncertain of how well DW will work with a PUG, but I'm more than willing to give it a shot. I am Chamomile.

I have a bunch of different character ideas, and I'm kind of avoiding fleshing them out until I know for sure which one I'll actually play, so here are my basic concepts, roughly in order of preference.

1) The Cultist. This would either be a Fighter who uses the Multiclass Initiate to gain Cleric spells, a Ranger who takes God of the Wastes, or else just a Cleric. Really, I'd like to be a Cleric who uses the multiclass thing to get the Fighter's special weapon, since that's all I really want from the class. Or else a Ranger with the Cleric or Fighter's Evil alignment option. Regrettably, neither of these are actually available. The image I have of this guy (girl?) is a scimitar-wielding fanatic follower of some kind of blood god, who's generally creepy and unpleasant, but not the sort of Chaotic Stupid idiot who'll light orphanages on fire for fun or do things to irritate the town guard for no reason and rely on PC status to get away with things no one else ever could. In fact, obeying the law in town is actually part of the concept: Big reason why he likes going out into the wilderness to adventure is that he can follow the precepts of his terrible god in all its bloodsoaked glory and no one will throw him in jail for it. May or may not mesh with the rest of the party at all.

2) The Barbarian. In the greek sense of being from a foreign and less cultured but still civilized place. This concept is a Fighter who is intelligent but also brutal and pragmatic, seeking gold and glory out in the wilds so that he can retire in a giant castle full of scantly clad women and tigers. Unlike the crazy above, he isn't evil, and he wouldn't murder an innocent person to take their stuff, but he is still pretty self-interested and wouldn't necessarily work with a group that planned on doing good deeds just because.

3) The Wizard. This is basically just "hey, those Wizard spells look cool."
  • edited October 2012
    My vote is to steer away from the evil-crazy spectrum. Just my $0.02.

I was thinking of playing a thief who's had his tongue cut out in penance for some crime. Communicating by gestures and facial expressions and the occasional grunt. I'd kind of like the challenge.

The cleric idea was just to play a personable, relatively nice guy. I'm keen on supporting or less antagonistic roles, since my last character was kind of about being in everyone's face all the time.

I've also got sort of a hankering for a low-fantasy game. Well, not low fantasy but lower than the present standard set by most fantasy games where there's a wizard on every block ("No big deal") and two in every adventuring party and everyone but the poorest adventurer has Extra-Special Totally Unique Gear and most allegedly feudal societies seem to have a broader, more stable and literate middle class than my own country. I mean, measured against that standard, even Tolkien is kind of low fantasy. But what if magic were rare and mysterious and often hidden, and monsters were strange things rumored to exist beyond the boundaries of human civilization?
  • edited October 2012
    Hey, I saw your post about this on the Apocalyptica forum, and I'd be interested in joining, if there's still room. :)

I'm on the US west coast, GMT-8, and I can definitely manage at least one post a day, more if I'm online while others are around.
  • edited October 2012
  • I'm being nice and bowing out, so great to see the new blood. If any of thee suckers flake, ping me.
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
    Posted By: Michael LoyI think I'm interested in a fairly grounded tone, though. So even if there's a decent bit of magic, we might not be looking at, say, planes-hopping and fighting the Apocalypse Dragon. Is that fair?
    I'm totally on board for this. Didn't expect we'd be doing the Christmas Tree thing but I just wanted to be clear on my tastes, y'know?

re: Celtic flavor. I don't know much about Celtic flavor besides a Mount and Blade mod I once played, but sure. I can dig it.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi, I'm Alan.

I'm in GMT-7 (US Pacific) until daylight saving time starts.

My first choice for class would be fighter. Wizard is a close second.

Celtic flavor is great. I'm okay with moderate magic and some grit.

If we go Celtic, are we talking bronze, iron, or steel age?
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
  • Hi all!

I have not read the sources Michael brought up and I think we each have different referents for Celtic culture. How about we lay out elements we'd like to see in more detail.

Here are elements of the Celtic idea that appeal to me:

1. Using Celtic names for characters and places.

2. Sarsens, Stone Tables, Stone Circles, Barrow Mounds, Hill Forts, Great Halls.

3. Iron Age social arrangement, with the land dotted with small domaines (kingdoms and chiefdoms), each with villages and hill forts and halls, each not much more than a day's walk across. There's a fair amount of equality among members of a domaine--chiefs are often elected or at least accountable to a general assembly. There might also be a central council of Chiefs, always squabbling and politicking for prestige. Lots of room for monsters in between.

4. Prestige is gained largely through deeds--monster slaying, hero duels, craftsmanship, wisdom, daring gambling, story telling and singing, counting coup on other domaines.

5. Relatively uniform human culture with regional variation. This is drawn from Irish myth--the culture is mostly concerned with internal politics, rather than an external threat. This may be due to dominance of a large area, as in Gaul, or isolation, as in Eire. (I agree with Michael and would like to invent a world rather than play in a historical place, however.)

6. Iron Age technology. Steel is known but difficult to make and usually has poor quality. Bronze or iron plate armor would be reserved for chiefs and great heroes.

Other elements that I see as optional:

1. Some monsters are earthly. Others are other worldly. There may be gates to the Other World in misty hallows, swamps, and caves.

2. Gods are associated with natural places and things: Water and Life, Wastelands and Death, Horses, Fire and Sun, etc.

3. The soul is believed to reside in the head and you may want to take a head and magically seal the soul inside to ensure a defeated enemy doesn't become a revenant or some other undead bent on revenge.

4. Writing is a secret belonging to a special class. (I would use a word other than "druid" as the celtic druid is more like the Bard Class than the Druid Class.)

5. Oral tradition is crucial to everyday life and politics.

What do you all think? We can mix or match elements. And I'm excited to see what other ideas you all have.

- Alan