[DW] Dungeon World Bonds

edited October 2012 in Out-Of-Game
This is a thread for writing and resolving bonds.

Comments

• I'm thinking of setting

- I have guided Bucan before and they owe me for it.
    - Tiernon does not understand life in the wild, so I will
    teach them.

but honestly I can kinda see it the other way around, too. The other ones I have available are
    - _______________ is a friend of nature, so I will be their friend
    as well.
    - _______________ has no respect for nature, so I have no respect
    for them.

Are those for Bucan and Tiernon fine with you?
  • That's good. I can see Bucan having need of a guide now and then. He wanders the borders and there are probably some wild patches he needs to cross.
  • Tiger, I had envisioned Tiernon as living in the wild for much of his life.
  • edited October 2012
    Here's my ideas for Tiernon's Bonds

Brandon will play an important role in the events to come. I have foreseen it!
    The Cultist is keeping an important secret from me.
    Bucan is woefully misinformed about the world; I will teach him all that I can.
    (Tiernon sees Bucan as overlooking the importance of the Other World in this one.)

I'm waiting to see if Chamomile is going to play his cultist.
  • In that case you are a friend of nature, and so I will be your friend.
  • Remember you have flexibility: you don't have to assign everyone a Bond, and you can stack up two or three Bonds on a given person.

Though admittedly, I'd probably be spreading Bonds around myself, if I were making a character.
  • Here's the ones I have for Castor.

Brandon owes me their life, whether he admits it or not.
    Bucan is soft, I will make him hard like me.
    I worry about the ability of Tiernon to survive in the dungeon.
  • I've updated my bonds, and changed the one with Brandon.

Castor will play an important role in the events to come. I have foreseen it!
    Brandon is keeping an important secret from me.
    (Tiernon sees Bucan as overlooking the importance of the Other World in this one.)
  • edited October 2012
    BUCAN'S BONDS
    Brandon is a good and faithful person; I trust him implicitly.
    I am working on converting Brandon to my faith.

Castor is in constant danger, I will keep him safe. (That danger being unchecked ambition.)

Tiernon has insulted my deity; I do not trust him.

edit: okay, reworked this.
  • edited October 2012
    Well, you can stack up bonds on a single person. Really, it's best to do so, since that makes you better at the Aid/Interfere move and also makes it easier to mark xp for bonds at the end of the session.

Why not try to convert Brandon or Tiernon? And it's possible that one of them has insulted Laug, intentionally or not. Tiernon, in particular, since he's trying to show you how misinformed you are about the world.
  • Castor and Tiernon are going to be doubleteaming Bucan, probably. I'm curious as to where Brandon will stand with regard to that.
  • Brandon's bonds, new revision:
    - Bucan does not understand life in the wild, so I will
    teach them.

- Tiernon is a friend of nature, so I will be their friend
    as well.

I can't see the fourth one on any of you – you all seem to respect nature unless I count Bucan's religion and well, I want to teach Bucan, I don't disrespect him.

It's okay not to have any bond with a character, right? The only one that really fits for Castor is that I have guided him before, but from the other thread I like the idea that I've dragged him on adventures more, and I'm the one who owes him.
  • Yes, your bonds can vary between 0 and whatever.

Does Castor respect nature?
  • I don't know, maybe he doesn't?

Thinking about it, I think the reason I didn't put that on him was that I was afraid to take the position of disrespecting Castor. For one thing, I get the feeling I've been on an adventure or two with him before, and I have nothing but respect for his fighting ability.
  • Is that enough? That is, is the fact that someone is good at fighting enough to make you respect them? And his bond with you ("Brandon owes me their life, whether he admits it or not.") already suggests a certain tension.

Some of these bonds are intended to take you into uncomfortable territory, it's true. But there's also a mechanical incentive for pursuing those, so I always recommend taking it as far as possible.
  • Anyhow, Castor, why does Brandon owe you his life, in your estimation?

Brandon, what secret are you keeping? Is it as important as Tiernon thinks?

And Tiernon, when did you decide that Brandon was hiding something from you?
  • Some of these bonds are intended to take you into uncomfortable territory, it's true. But there's also a mechanical incentive for pursuing those, so I always recommend taking it as far as possible.
    In that case, sure.
    - Bucan does not understand life in the wild, so I will
    teach them.
    - Tiernon is a friend of nature, so I will be their friend
    as well.
    - Castor has no respect for nature, so I have no respect for them.

On the secret I'm keeping from Tiernon: it's some sort of sacred place somewhere that I know how to find. Something I can't use or really understand much of, but it's obvious when I go there that it's a place of importance and maybe power. I don't know what would happen if I led Tiernon there, but I'd rather err on the side of caution so I have declined his requests so far.
  • Castor is pragmatic, sometimes to the point of ruthlessness. It's easy to imagine how he might be seen as having no respect for nature, or just about anything else, for that matter.

Brandon talked me into hunting down a pack of wolves that had been twisted by some foul magic and now apparently they were an affront to nature and wreaking havoc on the natural balance by overhunting and etc. etc. I honestly zoned out a little bit for that, but he mentioned that the body parts of creatures infused with so much magic might be worth a lot. Those things ambushed us in the middle of the night (stealthy bastards). I walked out of that fight holding my own guts in, but we won. If Brandon had brought some hireling flunky instead of me, I guarantee he would've died. Damn shame I didn't know Tiernon at the time, because he probably could've told me in advance how much of a longshot a profit on that little escapade would've been. Turns out that trying to sell people the heart of a magical abomination is sort of like trying to sell people the meat of an animal that died from a particularly unusual disease.

So the short of it is that I got chewed up twice as bad as he did, he would've died if I weren't there, and I didn't see a dime from it.
  • Yeah, that trip didn't end up that good. I do admit to owing Castor my life though.
  • Let's consolidate:
    Bonds
    I stole something from _______________.
    Tiernon has my back when things go wrong.
    _______________ knows incriminating details about me.
    Brandon and I have a con running.
    I don't have ideas for what, but I'm fine with either knowing incriminating details against you or having a con running. Brandon wouldn't do robbing, stealing and that side of illegal, but, like, selling supplies saying it's something it's not… I don't think he would on his own, but he could be roped into it.
    I'd go for the "Tiernon has your back bond." As a hedge wizard, there was a time when Tiernon had dealings with Bug and may have helped him out of a scrape -- maybe rescuing him from a village and getting into trouble himself with the villagers for it.
  • We might have to wait a day or so for Bucan, it seems. Remember you can have multiple bonds on someone, though. Or no bonds.

How likely is it that you've stolen something from one of these gents?
  • It's likely I've stolen from all of them? Can I take that on all three? But I've given back stuff to two of them, slightly used (sorry about the hardtack, Bucan).
  • I'm happy to know incriminating details – especially if we have a con running. And I guess I could turn you in with less risk to myself than the other way around. Who would trust a goblin over a human, right?
  • I gave incriminating details to Bucan, mostly because I want Jeff to be able to mess with me.
  • edited December 2012
    [Tiernon]

New bonds.
    (Bond with Castor erased and replaced after Tiernon used the goblin's sword shard in [DW] The Knockers' Mine [All 1.2]).

I feel kinship with this weapon that cuts both ways. The sword shard may be a valuable weapon--I will see it reforged!
  • [Tiernon]

New bonds.
    (Bond with Bucan erased since he became an NPC]

I feel kinship with this weapon that cuts both ways. The sword shard may be a valuable weapon--I will see it reforged!
    Bug doesn't sense the significance of the shard. I'll try to communicate it to him.