[Ashen Snow] Visit from the Hardholder [Al 7.3]

edited January 2013 in In-Game
Continued from previous thread:
Alonzo,

You're in the Gray Haven, just asked Sails, Jeff and Pace to scout around for weaknesses in the defenses of the hold...
Sails gives you a nod and a smile, "Sounds good, Alonzo. Maybe we'll scrounge up some grub to bring along." He offers Jeff his arm, which she mockingly takes after a curtsey, then they head out, followed by Pace at a respectable distance.

Trinkle and HR head out, leaving you with just Spulock, Takeback and Gummer, plus Terisha and her toddler.. Terisha is Turk's widow, a pleasantly plump woman with deep-set eyes and a a miserable attitude, worn down and lost in mourning, but quiet about it.

Jupiter comes in, scratching at the back of his neck, looking around the area, then he heads over towards the bit of trash still left sitting around to move it out of the area.

Comments

• Not long after Jupiter comes in, Norvell stops by. He hovers at the entrance, doesn't walk straight in, you get the feeling he thinks it might be impolite, but he's looking right at you, wants to talk with you.
  • "Norvell, come in, come in." I motion grandly."Step into my office and tell me the news."

We head back to the little room and I gesture toward a seat. I pull the door closed . It doesn't latch though, it's warped and only barely fits into the frame; you have to lift and pull, then give it a final nudge with your should to close it. Even then it's just kinda wedged into place and it's easy to see an uneven opening along the bottom.

"What's on your mind?"
  • edited January 2013
    Norvell ducks his head in thanks, follows you to the office. You realize, that for the first time since you've met the man, he's got a gun holster on. Its a hand-tooled leather holster, not showy, just something made to last and to make it easy to draw his colt revolver that is well cleaned and oiled.

He takes a seat, pausing to adjust the gun when he realizes its going to be in the way, and says with a bit of urgency, "Lonzo, hate ta bother ya, but I'm a little... well, I'm worried bout Wolf an Bones. Er, Emmy. Her real name's Emmy, old habits. Anyhow, Wolf came ta me an asked ta negotiate a contract fer helpin fight fer tha hold. An... Emmy started up a fuss over him wantin ta up an kill Harridan in tha middle o his camp. It got heated an then he drug her over down a hallway." He looks a bit guilty at that, but shrugs it off.

"I gave em a bit ta sort things out an when I got worried an checked on em, they were both gone. I went in ta Tha Gym an all the rest o his pack was gone, too. I looked all over tha hold fer Emmy an I cant find her. Got Ghost an a few others lookin round, an Rothschild overheard me an he's out lookin, too. I wanted ta let ya know, an a ask if ya seen her er if ya know where Wolf's been campin?"
  • I give a non-commital Hmmmm. I'd heard bits and pieces of this, but somehow I've been fairly peripheral to much of it.

"Wolf and his pack would be a nice addition. Professionals, that lot is. Well armed too, if memory serves. I haven't seen her or where they have made camp. Want help looking? We're going to be having a little family meal here in a few, but after I'd be happy to help. Unless you think it's more urgent than that...

Look, if someone is going to infiltrate Harridan's camp, they better make sure they know what he looks like. I have it on pretty good word, that he is not some looming giant. Rather he is a mutant child with coal-black skin.

OOC: Pausing for response. Before he heads out, I want to get in a word about Jackabacka.
  • Norvell squints when you talk, he doesn't know Harridan well, so any info is welcome. "Wolf's her brother, so I aint more than worried yet, but yeah, if ya want to get a few eyes lookin round, that'd be good. After supper. Thanks, Lonzo." He rises, as if to leave.
  • "Norvell, wait. I want to talk about Shantytown. And Jackabacka."I motion for him to sit.

"Grekkor and I sat down with Jack and some others. Our meeting was disappointing. Jackabacka seems to completely misconstrue the nature of the threat here. He tried to get promise of a future deal -- not an agreement to deal, an actual deal, with numbers and terms -- in exchange for information about a weakness in our defenses. As if there will be a future if the defenses fail. I think he's holding onto something worth knowing, but I also think he picked a bad time to be a extortionist.

"Now, in principle, I am all for a more equitable relationship between the Hold and Shantytown. Hell, I think if we are to do anything more than mere scraping-by survival, we must have a more equitable relationship. But his methods were clumsy and offensive. Especially to Grekkor.

"How do you feel about offering some kind of closer relationship, once the threat of Harridan is past? If it were my choice, I would promise nothing beyond a future negotiation, and be very firm on that,"
    I bow my head slightly,"but I leave the specifics to you, of course."
  • Norvell sits back down. He listens to your retelling of the Jackabacka meeting and shifts uncomfortably. Then you ask about his opinion on the negotiation and he blinks a few times during the silence after you're done speaking, like he's really not happy about this line of questioning. Then, he takes a long breath and says, "Lonzzo, I... I aint been zactly straight with ya bout everythin. An fer that, I'm sorry. Corbett tol me ta chat with ya already, but things been sa damn busy an I didn't want ta bother ya when tha big meetin was comin tonight..." He stops talking, realizing he's just rambling, making some excuses, not getting to the point.

His shoulders slump a bit, then, "I tol Shazza ta give food ta all that are helpin us against Harridan. With all tha snow we had lately, then closin tha gates durin the plague, we're just about out. She kept tellin me ta refuse ta feed some folks an I figgered, if we can't provide, then what good's a hold? Hell, these folks deserve ta die with food in their bellies. That's about all I can offer. I figger, with tha spring, if some o' us survive, we can rebuild, but there won't be no room fer mistakes an nothin ta fall back on. Hell, I'm hopin Harridan comes sooner rather than later, 'cause we're sa low. I got nothin more ta give Jack, even though he don't believe me."
  • I smile as he confesses and lean over the table and grip his shoulder.
    "By god, Norvell, but you're a good man. Feed them all indeed!"

I rise, smiling, open the door, and gesture for him to go first.
  • Norvell isn't sure what to make of your acceptance, but he stands, heads for the door. He walks out.

Some of the hold's urchins have started hanging around, a little girl named Exit more than any of the others. What's your policy around kids looking for handouts?
  • I have a soft spot for kids. Handouts are fine the first time, but after that I like to find little tasks they can do to "earn" a handout.
    Find this person, deliver this message, carry this to the burn pit.
  • Exit's a little disconnected, she doesn't really talk. She's maybe five years old, likes to play jacks. What kind of tasks do you give her?

So you sit down with the gang and your hangers-on, have some stew and brew, nothing much, a few vegetables thrown in from your ration, some stuff they hunted in the wastes that passed "the smell test", that kind of stuff. And Jeff, Sails and Pace come back before you finish up, they didn't find anything of use.

There's some chatter over the cooking fire and the places where people gather in small groups to sit and eat. Gummer pulls out a mouth harp and begins to play. Its a tune you know, you even know most of the words, Alonzo. What is it? Do you sing or does someone else pick up the words? Who?
  • I'm not so strict that there's a quid pro quo for handouts. If she's around I'll ask her to run a slip of paper to someone. Right now, after we eat, I hand her a slip that says, "Heard from Emmy/Bones? Norvell seems worried she's gone missing? --Alonzo"
    "Now be a dear and run this off to Grekkor, my joy. Or give it to a Pryer and ask them to pass it along. I pause, remembering Exit's laconic habits. Hmmm, right..." Then I take the slip back, scrawl Grekkor on the outside and hand it back.

Gummer starts playing a tune:

At first a few of the Grays sing some bawdy lyrics they learned somewhere:

Once a ganger with a boner
    met a donkey in the night,
    He made a pledge to never leave her
    Even if they were to fight.

But then they hear me quietly singing some old pre-fall lyrics, me gran taught me.

"Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
    Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
    Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
    Call for songs of loudest praise.
    Teach me some melodious sonnet,
    Sung by flaming tongues above.
    Praise the mount, I’m fixed upon it,
    Mount of Thy redeeming love.

"Sorrowing I shall be in spirit,
    Till released from flesh and sin,
    Yet from what I do inherit,
    Here Thy praises I'll begin;
    Here I raise my Ebenezer;
    Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
    And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
    Safely to arrive at home.

Jupiter joins me, singing harmony in a lovely, soft contra-tenor. Now tears are slowing streaking tracks in my wrinkled old face. A few Grays try to hide their own sniffles and tears, but most don't.

"Jesus sought me when a stranger,
    Wandering from the fold of God;
    He, to rescue me from danger,
    Interposed His precious blood;
    How His kindness yet pursues me
    Mortal tongue can never tell,
    Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
    I cannot proclaim it well.

"O to grace how great a debtor
    Daily I’m constrained to be!
    Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
    Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
    Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
    Prone to leave the God I love;
    Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
    Seal it for Thy courts above.

"O that day when freed from sinning,
    I shall see Thy lovely face;
    Clothèd then in blood washed linen
    How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
    Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
    Take my ransomed soul away;
    Send thine angels now to carry
    Me to realms of endless day."

After singing it through, start giving them them lyrics between phrases, Gummer slows down and we sing together.
  • --END SCENE--

Wow, that was wonderful. You make it easy to be a fan of the PCs!