[Ashen Snow] Defending the Springs [Al 8.1]

edited February 2013 in In-Game
Alonzo,
You greeted mother with Hoze this morning. As dawn came with its brilliant light across the valley, you heard gunfire echoing across the valley. Emmy, Wolf, Rothschild and the others made their strike in clockwork fashion. Hopefully they survive it and can make it back to the spring or the hold to help defend it.

You and Hoze pick your way back down to the spring from the hill where you sat together. He follows your every step. You don’t know if he fully comprehends the enormity of what you’re about to do. This fight, against an overwhelming force, when it comes down to it, this battle is over a spring of fresh water. Is it worth that stream running red with blood?

To the Grays, to Hoze’s weathered force, it is enough. After working for weeks, the Pryers have set up a good perimeter, the black, oil-slick trees of the surrounding forest were cut down, sharpened to spikes and set against the tide. There are only narrow passages between the thickets of man-made barriers, from the trees to rusty metal scrap and old cars, farm equipment, anything they could scrap together. These folks are pretty ingenious. You saw some of the workers from the hold actually tear down a brick house and sled-drag brick by brick to build a bit of the fortification.

All too soon, Harridan’s force comes through the mountains, heading for your position. His agents and scouts must have informed him about the Spring, because there is no doubt he sent at least half of his force here first. They’ve taken some casualties from the dawn attack, but they’re like a hydra, many heads left to bite and breathe firey doom upon you.

Hoze and the escaped slaves disappear into the forest, taking shelter in hidden holes they dug by hand or up trees. They refused to use anything but their own crude weapons, but you and Hoze promised them something precious for their service. What was it, Alonzo?

This force of Harridan’s, this huge gang, they’re led by someone you know. You’ve met him on the field of battle before, and his father before him, who you killed. His name is Crags, he is a beast of a man, not much to look at, bent and twisted by some unknown and foul warped Weirdness, but he possesses a cunning and a pure hatred for you. It’s entirely possible he knows you’re here, that he diverted this gang towards the Spring just for you. Why did you kill his father? Why did you spare him?

Let’s start off with the opening salvo with a Seize by Force against this group, to see if you can seize the opening advantage.
«1

Comments

  • I have no idea how Grekkor is going to take it, but then it might not matter...
    We promised the es-slaves guardianship of the Spring. Yurd's Spring. I am not sure they understood the nuance of guardianship versus ownership, but they understood the notion of having a place that was their own.

    The history never leaves you, it just haunts you different shadows.
    Crags father, Blister, was part of the gang that took Scamper. By the time I caught up with him the gang had split up, but I strode into his tent and and buried my father's machete in his skull. Then I heard a little whimper and at first I had this flash of optimism, Scamper! I had found him! But this kid had hair the color of a bloody sunset, just like his father. I stepped toward him, intending to end his life (and his chance at vengeance) but I couldn't do it. I've always had a soft spot for kids. And now he's here to continue the cycle of violence.
  • Seize By Force

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )

    Highlighted for XP
  • • you take definite hold of it
    • you suffer little harm
    • you inflict terrible harm
  • doing the math here and showing my work:
    * Harridan has one huge gang, well-armed and savage, for 2-Harm (raiders on foot, some trucks with larger weapons)
    * Alonzo and the Spring Defense Force is one medium gang, 1-Harm (poorly-armed, +2 Armor from gang descriptors and defenses)

    With Alonzo's roll to inflict terrible harm results in 1-Harm to Harridan's gang +1 for terrible Harm but -2 for size difference =
    0-Harm total to Harridan's force
    In turn, we trade Harm for Harm, so Harridan's return attack would be 2-Harm +2 for size, but -2 for Armor and -1 for Suffer little Harm =
    1-Harm to both groups in the Spring-defense force (Grays and Hoze's escapees)

    Alonzo certainly IS a prominent member of the gang here. Therefore, you have 1-Harm coming to you. You have your 1-Armor, reducing it to 0-Harm
  • Harm Move for Alonzo:
    #DiceRoller( 2d6 )
  • Touchstone Move Indomitable

    #DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )

    Highlighted for XP
  • Spend 2
    # Keep Hoze close, while I keep fighting, I intercept any attack directed at him and he suffers no harm.
    # I cross the distance to Crags before he has time to adjust or react.

    Holding 1
  • As Crags brings his huge gang up close, they pause, seeing the fort erected. They spend several minutes yelling, getting fired up, preparing for a charge. You hear them beating on their trucks, on the ground, the blackened tree husks nearby, shouting and cursing and growling.

    Then Crags calls out of his warped and twisted mouth a string of curses punctuated by "Kill them all, but save the old man for MEEEE!!!" The gang advances like herd of enraged bulls, charging forward, the men on the truckbeds firing over their heads at anyone on the battlements. They descend upon the spring like ants on honey-covered chicken and they're crawling up the junkyard pieces, over the fallen tree stumps, pouring through the narrow passageways, giving up several of their own lives in a furious assault.

    But the defenses are enough to break their momentum. Crags' gang is able to penetrate the defenses, but at some cost and at least in the first salvo, your men suffered little injuries. Outnumbered almost three to one, the Grays and Hoze's brothers-in-arms hold. The next few moments will be more deadly as the force has penetrated several defenses (reducing Armor for the defenders by 1-Armor), but they have already done the impossible.

    Alonzo, as you and Hoze forge a path through the attacking force for Crags, you catch small moments in the pitched battle that mark your memory, may even haunt your dreams for weeks to come.

    * You see Sails and Jeff calmly firing back to back, Jeff with a lever-action rifle, Sails with a pair of pistols taking down a brute carrying a YIELD sign like a battleaxe.

    * A trio of snow slaves throw themselves onto a hawk-faced woman with a shotgun and bring her down in bloody screams.

    * Takeback standing on a rusted out car beating a man with the stock of his rifle and then falling as a pair of patchwork armored gangers tackle him and bring him down to stomp him slat.

    After the initial charge, you've made your way to Crags who didn't stand back with the trucks but instead is here in the middle of it. He screams at his gang to back off and they form a ring around all of you. The fight is still close by, but there is this pocket for a stand-off between you and Crags. Crags now stands almost six-feet tall, but he is as broad as a tree trunk and wields a serrated cleaver for a weapon along with a riot shield. Hoze is right by you, you protected him twice by pulling him close when shots were fires. You have a second sense on the battlefield, a grace from age and the sight.

    But will it win out against this creature Crags? Hoze stands by you, claws and eager youth to fight at his father's side.

    What do you do?
  • Spending 1 Hold
    Name an npc [Crags] within your reach. You kill, disable or disarm them (MC’s choice).

    "O Crags. I always knew it would come to this. Blister started this feud when he took my son. Now I am going to end it by saving him.

    I raise my left hand and fire my magnum right at him. It looks slow and clumsy and he takes the bait, ducking and turning. As soon as the gun fires I drop it and charge him with my machete.

    Hoze, picks up the magnum and holds it to his chest.
  • Crag's cleaver flies out of his hand and he charges you with fingers outstretched. If he gets his hands on you, you're rather sure he can rip you apart.

    What do you do?
  • I rock back on my left heel then swing into him with all my might, if I can chop those hands off, they wont be ripping anything.

    Seize by force, Crags Life.
  • #DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )

    +1 XP
  • I choose to
    # Take definite hold (that means kills Crags, right?)
    # And impress, dismay or frighten your enemy (that means his followers, right?)

    If my interpretation of either of those is contrary to your adjudication, I will adjust my choice.
  • (you've got the right of it, sir)

    Your first strike chops deep in his left hand, nearly taking it off. He howls and strikes you with a savage backhand. You deftly turn with the blow and come in a horizontal arc at that arm, chopping his right hand off while he's at full extension. His momentum carries him in a twist and he falls, panting and grunting blind with pain, his fury-filled heart causing his lifebloof to gush upon the thirsty ground.

    Take 2-Harm before armor, so that's 1-Harm, I believe.

    Around you, the circle of hateful gangers pause, awed by your swift execution of their leader. A couple up and take off, but it's obvious that they outnumber you and have taken few losses, so their morale is not broken. Within the Spring defenses you hear the sounds of battle continue, heedless of the small victory you just claimed. The forces are too vast for one duel to turn the tide.

    But it is a start. If your men can hit these fuckers in the nose one good solid time, you think they might break in the face of this defense and scatter.

    Hoze has pulled the gun up and it looks like he's going to fire indiscriminately into the crowd.

    What do you do?
  • edited February 2013
    [1 harm]
    "Grays, to me," I shout raggedly. "I have slain their leader! Rally and break these fuckers! To me! To me, Grays, Rally on me!"

    Then to Hoze I say, "Take my father's blade son. It is wild and savage, just like you...we are." I gently take the gun and give him the machete.
  • Read the Sitch
    #DiceRoller( 2d6+2 )
  • • which enemy is the biggest threat?
    • what should I be on the lookout for?
    • what’s my enemy’s true position?

    +1 XP, for roll above
  • Hoze takes the machete without hesitation, holds it up and then looks around wild and savage, defensive position at the ready in this small pocket that is starting to dipsperse.

    The enemies inside the spring are the biggest threat. There is effectively a medium gang that will ignore the defenses built around the spring during the next attack. Somehow you need to clear them out. Hoze's snow slaves might be a suitable boost to help with that, but they will take heavy losses in the doing. Of course, doing nothing will lose the Spring.

    You should be on the lookout for the Pryers making their way to cover your retreat. They're nearly here. If you choose to quit the field and give up the springs, you can Act Under Fire to avoid any further significant losses.

    I have no desire to be flippant, but there is no strategic enemy position right now, they're all over. Well over a hundred men fighting your small force.
  • "Everyone, fall back. Defend the Spring.," I point to the attackers inside the spring.
    The Snow People are closest, it seems, but I try to get everyone's attention.
  • edited February 2013
    Give me a Seize by Force to hold the Spring from this force. Take a +1 from the read.
  • [1-harm]
    Seize by Force +1 from read
    #DiceRoller( 2d6+4 )

    +1XP
  • • you take definite hold of it
    • you inflict terrible harm
    • you impress, dismay or frighten your enemy
  • The Tunnel! How could I forget?
    "To me, Hile! To me. Hit them once, with everything, then fall back on me."

    As we hit them, I lead the counter-attack then pull back to the tunnel entrance, sick with suffering and violence we're swimming in.
  • edited February 2013
    doing the math here and showing my work:
    * Dead Crag's huge gang, well-armed and savage, for 2-Harm (raiders on foot, three trucks with machine guns, no leader)
    * Alonzo and the Spring Defense Force is one medium gang, 1-Harm (poorly-armed, +2 Armor from gang descriptors and defenses)

    Alonzo's roll to inflict terrible harm results in 1-Harm to Dead Crag's gang +1 for terrible Harm but -2 for size difference =
    0-Harm total to Harridan's force
    In turn, we trade Harm for Harm, so Harridan's return attack would be 2-Harm +2 for size, but -2 for Armor =
    2-Harm to both groups in the Spring-defense force(Grays and Hoze's escapees)

    Alonzo is the gang leader, so you have 2-Harm coming to you. You have your 1-Armor AND you are a small gang, so that's -1 Harm to the attack, reducing it to 0-Harm


    Name three members of your gang who died in this salvo.

    The Grays fall back and the Snow Slaves rise from their hiding spots to stand n the cool water of the spring. Standing together, making the gangers pay for every step, they take heavy injuries. Men, women, children fall and the Snow Slaves are worn down. The Grays fight nobly, but they too are forced back into the tunnels.

    You duck down into the passage and your men follow you. You give up the spring. In the tunnels are the Pryers sent by Grekkor to cover your retreat. The Spring is lost, but Crags is dead and this gang is losing members to disbanding, frustrated, some just drinkign their fill and riding trucks off to somewhere else.

    What do you do?
  • In Memorium [Thanks for the idea Rustin.]
    † Sails, more than a ganger, he was a loyal and honest friend and one of the reasons we're called Grays.
    † Gummer, his sunny disposition will be greatly missed
    † Tackback, who saw my vision for the future from the very beginning, his loyalty was paramount to what we became.
    † Trinkle, a loyal warrior with great enthusiasm for the future we were building



    The Pryers cover our backs but it seems we are safe for the moment. We'll make our way down the tunnels and into the hold. Jeff is in a daze. She and Sails may not have been a couple, but they were partners. His death has hit her hard.
    "My joy, my dear Jeff, my heart too yearns to mourn for our fallen comrades, but this is not the time. There will be a time, I promise. If we live out this day, we will honor them properly.
    "For now, I need your focus and experience.
    "HR, you hear me? Jupiter? We will mourn our dead, but now, we must fight on. We've got a few mintues to catch our breath, but the hold needs us."
  • Your remaining troops moves through the tunnels with you in near silence, save for HR Support's sobs. Hoze scouts ahead.

    Within minutes, the sounds of a pitched battle ahead of you grow. The Pryers who came to cover your retreat, led by Unca Jess, they charge forward, buying you some time to gather your strength.

    Then once again you're in the thick of things. The tunnel leads to a ladder up into the old locker room opposite The Baths. It also leads to The Baths, but Unca Jess directed you to the second entrance. You open the rickety door and see a series of open skirmishes in The Gym. Grekkor has led a charge into the mass of them, but the inside of the hold has been invaded, there are gangers running around, looting and attacking workers and Pryers and you see Mice fall to a pair of men in leather jackets with tire irons. It has fallen to chaos right now, every man to himself. The smell of gunpowder and sweat makes the ashy air stink and the place is raucously loud like a death pep rally.

    What do you do?
  • I look around dumbly at the chaos around us.
    "Kneel around me, all of you." I lead by example and kneel upon the concrete and detritus.

    In a loud, clear voice I begin to chant, in very simple style:
    "[The Lord] trains my hands for war,
    so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
    Thou hast given me the shield of thy salvation,
    and thy right hand supported me,
    and thy help made me great.
    Thou didst give a wide place for my steps under me,
    and my feet did not slip.
    I pursued my enemies and overtook them;
    and did not turn back till they were consumed.
    I thrust them through, so that they were not able to rise;
    they fell under my feet."


    I spread my arms and lay my hands, in turn, on each person's head as a blessing, as I continue.

    "For thou didst gird me with strength for the battle;
    thou didst make my assailants sink under me.
    Thou didst make my enemies turn their backs to me,
    and those who hated me I destroyed.
    They cried for help, but there was none to save,
    they cried to the LORD, but he did not answer them.
    I beat them fine as dust before the wind;
    I cast them out like the mire of the streets."
  • Open Brain
    #DiceRoller( 2d6+3 )

    +1XP
  • Alonzo,

    You look upon this place and you see Yurd's cave. You see Yurd, the moss of her cave walls grown all around her, thriving, drinking deep of the lifeblood spilled nearby. She is growing powerful, greater, wonderful and fearsome.

    But in her cave is another. A worn soul struggling for freedom from her past, from the pain she's caused to others and herself. Yurd has denied her respite. Now, Winter can decide the fate of this spirit, she is the soul assassin and the sole assassin who could prevent the coming apocalypse. The Pryers and Amiette believe it is a foretelling of a wondrous apocalypse, verdant fields and life sprung anew, like the grass here, now stamped underfoot by marauders, like the spring you were forced to abandon to the gang of a dead man.

    What do you believe? Is Yurd worth saving?
  • I raise from the blessing and those with me raise. The chaos starts to seep into this little temnporary cocoon and it shatters absolutely when an explosion goes off not far away.
    "Spurlock, you're in charge. Do what you can to stop the looting. Maintain a defensive posture, I think they are losing focus and an organized show of force may be enough to chase most of them away.
    "I have to go into the baths."


    Right before I enter I turn and look at them, "Gird yourselves with the strength of the Lord."
    Without waiting for a response, I turn and enter. I am heading directly for Yurd's temple.
Sign In or Register to comment.