Workday Game?

edited June 2013 in Pitch
I'd like to run something on here, looking for 3-5 players.

Posting would be a couple times each weekday (Monday through Friday), during 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern Timezone. Basically, something to entertain me while I'm working (and you, too, of course).

It would be a game with light mechanics heavy on shared narrative. I'm happy to GM it.

I'm a little stretched thin on Apocalypse World, so I'm not super keen on that, but a hack of it would be neat.

I'm also looking for folks who aren't already in a bunch of games I'm running / playing. Fresh blood.

I can throw up actual game pitches if desired, but I'm mostly testing the waters.

Comments

• I'm your Hukcleberry. You know that timeframe is perfect for me.
  • I can swing that. Any thoughts on which hack you'd like to run?
  • edited June 2013
    I wasn't thrilled with Monster of the Week personally.

Monsterhearts is a fun game to play, but it takes a certain crowd and I'm not convinced ti works as well over forum.

Vanilla Dungeon World doesn't thrill me, but I do have Inverse World and that's interesting (but I need to read it through).

I have Sagas of the Icelanders, but haven't read it.

What else is out there?
  • Or, you know, there are games which do not owe their existence to Apocalypse World. Just sayin'. ;-)

I'm down with whatever.
  • There are such games? :P

I've wondered if Lacuna Part 1 would fall apart over forum. I imagine it would.
  • edited June 2013
    There's also minions inc which also may take a certain crowd. I've only skimmed it thus far but if you're a fan of the Venture Brothers it's probably up your ally. You can find the PDFs here: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=573.0

I am also up for whatever.
  • Be still my heart[rate]. I want to play Lacuna so bad.
    But I think you are correct.
  • How does PTA work over playbyforum?
  • What if we decide on a setting, then pick rules? I'll list setting ideas I'm digging and examples (not game systems, examples)

Rank these from most interested to least. You may exclude one of them if you choose
    * far flung sci-fi future (Warhammer 40K, Star Wars, Mass Effect, freakin Tron)
    * modern supernatural (Dresden Files, Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, the movie Epic or Secret World of Arietty)
    * modern/near future sci-f intrigue (Shadowrun, Defiance, Cyberpunk, Remember Tomorrow)
    * fantasy high action (Avatar the Last Airbender, Mouse Guard, Legend of the Five Rings, some pirate game)
    * add your own
  • Posted By: RyanHow does PTA work over playbyforum?
    No clue? We'd need to find a website where we could view cards. I'd imagine it would fall apart akin to Lacuna. I'd say Lacuna has a better chance of working than PTA, off the top of my head.
  • Posted By: sullytheraptorThere's also minions inc which also may take a certain crowd. I've only skimmed it thus far but if you're a fan of the Venture Brothers it's probably up your alley. You can find the PDFs here: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=573.0
    I don't want to play that over forum. I think it could be fun at a con, though.
  • 1 fantasy high action (not L5R, but Avatar would be splendid)
    --Silk Road type of cultural crossroads, inspired by Transoxiana; Mogol inspired horse culture; Avatar would be lovely; South seas archipelagos with polynesian inspired culture

2 far flung sci-fi future
    --of a non-Star Wars variety, something with dirt and grime worked into the deck seams of the starship.

3 modern/near future sci-f intrigue
    --espcially is that means somewhat dystopian future

Not currently interested in
    * modern supernatural
  • edited June 2013
    Here's one that totally get's me stoked:
    Via Benjamin Baugh's GooglePlus:

Had a rocking dream. I crewed a buglike mecha crawler which was like a mobile carrier craft, creeping around in the ruined remains of a vast global megacity. The crawler was a mobile base for a squad of variable geometry fighters - transforming ultra-flexible highly modular war machines. The carrier had crew quarters, a lounge, the VGF bay, and an engineering bay with fabrication and manufacturing tools. It could creep up the sides of derelict ultra-towers, burrow in, gobble up raw materials from walls and fittings, and fabricate spares and parts for itself and the VGF's. We'd get pings from orbit for contract jobs - raids, scouting missions, fire support, shows of force, and ultra-delving down into the bowels of the ancient megacity, in chambers which seem vast even to a VGF. Our crawler looked like a pill bug, covered in welded-on gewgaws and greebles and nernies , like a mecha gillie suit. Baseline cammo to augment the ECM.

It was one of those weird multi-dimensional dreams. I was crewchief on the crawler. I was also playing that character in a tabletop rpg. I was also playing the whole crawler and crew in a X-comlike tactical combat videogame. Triple threat for enjoying it.

Made me want to write it up as a game... your Crawler is like a common group resource, to be maintained, upgraded, repaired, defended. Your VGF is how you do big mecha action stuff, and can also be maintained, upgraded, repaired. Scavving resources is a big deal - some vital things a standard crawler fabricator can't make. Setting could be post-singularity, after all the nerds rapture up to the local Jupiter brain, leaving the non-conformists and their descendants with a world too big for them. Or, it could be a war-torn colony planet. or all kinds of things. Hex map that shit too. And random gen the hell out of things. Crawlers might have territories even. Contract with settlements for defense in exchange for supply or access to some local resource - working autodocs say. As I think about it, it could almost be a Drachenritter reskin...
  • (I'm not opposed to doing warm-up stuff, like a nanogame or something)
  • I'm into the Modern/near future sci-fi intrigue sort of thing, especially if there's a splash of Noir to it. That's my personal preference, but I'll jump on board with whatever everyone is into and whatever Richard decides will run best via forum.
  • On that note: Over the Edge would fit that bill pretty nicely. The system is pretty rules light and I think it could run on a forum pretty smoothly, in fact. I have a PDF I can email if anyone is interested in taking a look.
  • WARP rules went free, Rob Donoghue did a prettified layout of them.

That's an interesting suggestion, Sully.
  • Oh, I didn't realize that! Heh, Just spitballing... I am game for whatever you'd like to run :)
  • Posted By: sullytheraptorOh, I didn't realize that! Heh, Just spitballing... I am game for whatever you'd like to run :)
    Please keep spitballing! I was saying the rules are free, which is great! I'm putting OtE on my mental shortlist (though I know nada about it)
  • edited June 2013
    The rules are pretty mappable as I understand it. I'd have to read up on it a bit myself, but character creation is based on choosing traits for yourself and assigning dice pools to each trait, so it's fairly open ended. You could have a trait such as brawler, which would work in just about any setting, but also more setting sepecific traits such as vampire hunter or computer hacker, just as examples. The player can choose really whatever traits they'd like, with the GMs approval, and you roll from that pool when the trait applies according to the fiction. Something like that, again I'd have to read up on it, but it's a possibility.

Another system that is fairly mappable is Dust Devils, but I don't see it translating well to Forum what with needing a deck of cards and all.
  • I'm interested in a game but at a loss on what to suggest.
  • yeah, cards is a hurdle.

Welcome, Marshall!

Some systems I am interested in trying on PBF
    * Risus
    * Prose Descriptive Quality (PDQ)
    * WaRP (Over the Edge system)
  • I've only played in one PbF game that involved cards. We used a google presentation document (think powerpoint) and put each card in its own text box, then filled the boxes black. You'd unfill a box to draw a card and draw and X over it to discard it. It worked well but was an extra layer of fiddliness - it helped that we were also playing the game in the same document.
  • Sounds like work.
  • Just to stick my nose in, not that I'm playing.

PTA's card system isn't that elaborate. It's essentially a d2.

You draw, every red card counts as a point. If points are tied then the person with the most hearts wins. If still tied then lowest value heart wins. If no red cards, draw another card. HIgh card narrates.

You could go with the original die system from PTA 1st ed.

You roll d10's for each trait, odd numbers are successes. Highest value narrates. (Any die value would work but 10 siders would make the high value easier.
  • It worked well for the game in question but took some setting up for the facilitator.
  • Looking at conflict resolution in Risus, it looks like a lot of back and forth rolling while you wear each other down - sounds like it would make for slow PbF with a bunch of one-line back and forth with rolls.
  • There's also Random.org. Everyone could draw their own if you don't mind the probability shift.
  • Posted By: mease19Looking at conflict resolution in Risus, it looks like a lot of back and forth rolling while you wear each other down - sounds like it would make for slow PbF with a bunch of one-line back and forth with rolls.
    Oooh, good point. Cross it off, then.

TREVIS, thanks for the die hack idea for PBF. Didn't really think of it that way.
  • Posted By: trevisThere's alsoRandom.org.Everyone could draw their own if you don't mind the probability shift.
    I have work firewall concerns, need to keep it all on snails (which sneaks through).