[Psi*Run] Rules, Sheets and Characters

edited July 2013 in Out-Of-Game
Every game of Psi-Run starts with a crash of some kind. The characters, called Runners, have psychic powers and amnesia. The one thing they know for certain is that they are being pursued by their former captors, called Chasers. Over the course of the game, the players roll dice and assign them to categories, called Risks, in order to achieve their goals, answer the questions about the Runners past, use their psi powers, avoid harm, and avoid recapture by the Chasers. Along the way, the Runners leave a Trail of information as they travel from location to location, and the Chasers follow this trail relentlessly.

Will the Runners learn the truth? Will the Chasers catch them?

----------------------------------------------
As the GM, it's my job to:
• keep track of the bigger story
• be a fan of the Runners
• play the Chasers who are after the Runners
• play everyone else in the story — the cab driver, the innocent bystanders, the suspicious landlady, all the people the Runners meet on their way
• describe locales
• give everyone a chance to speak
• call for die rolls

As Players, it's your job to:
• create a Runner you want to play following the rules of the game (in a post below this one)
• describe how your Runner acts, say what your Runner says
• allow other players to describe things about your Runner’s past
• roll dice according to the rules
• help make up cool stuff

What special power have you always wanted? Make that character. Play that character fully, describe body language and vocal quirks and action. Say what you do, and roll the dice.

Listen to the GM and your fellow players. When a cool image for the game or detail of the action leaps to mind, share it. When someone says something cool, be enthusiastic about it. Give them Props in the OOC Thread!

There will be moments in the game when another person writes something about your character’s past, and that becomes the truth. Don’t get attached to any preconceived notion of your character’s personal history. You’ll discover the characters past together, during play.

Comments

• Who says what’s happening?
    The rules determine who has the first say in different circumstances.

"First say? What does that mean?"
    "The person that gets to write first after the dice are "placed". It’s a way to get everyone’s input in an orderly fashion."

When you have first say, you are responsible for the first description of what happens. Take your turn. Sometimes you get first say on your own action, sometimes on someone else’s. Pay attention. Keep your focus on your own responsibilities; remember what your job is, as player or GM, and don’t try to take over anyone else’s job.

After you've said your idea, your fellow players can offer suggestions, objections, ideas, changes, etc. For every outcome, there’s a particular person or people who get the first say.

When you don’t have first say, usually your job is easy: go with it. Be right there with the person who spoke first, ready to move ahead. When the action isn't clear to you, weigh in. Add details of the scene, ask for clarification, or offer alternatives. Work together to create a clear picture of the action.

While the GM and Runner roles are very specific, everyone playing the game should listen actively, shout out suggestions, cheer on other players, and react to the surprises and twists of the emerging story.
  • What’s the Character sheet?

Runners, you are in charge of your own character sheets, which in this game will be posts below the rules. Please DO NOT post your character sheet until I've put in a post that says to start.

Your character post should have space for a physical description of your Runner, the questions you are trying to answer to help you recover your past, and a space to track injuries. This is all public knowledge, which is why everyone's PCs will be on this thread. As you learn the answers to your Runner’s questions, add them to your Character Sheet post.
  • Runners?
    Your character is called a Runner. You have special powers. They might be subtle, like super-sharp senses, or blatant, like teleportation. Your power is the reason you've been held and the reason the Chasers want you back. Choose a power you are excited to play!

"For this game, what’s a psi power?"

"Your Runners use their minds to affect the world in extraordinary ways. Runners may look completely normal in all aspects, yet they have an extra something that makes them a target of interest, adoration, scorn, or exploitation. Runners can control stuff, move stuff, sense stuff far beyond regular people."

1. Who am I?
    Your Runner suffers from amnesia: you don’t remember much about your personal past. You have flashes of memories that come to you during stressful moments, as you piece together the events that brought you to this place. If you know your Runner’s name, write it down. If you don’t, leave that space blank and maybe you’ll find out in play. Same goes for apparent age.
    2. What is my power?
    When you create your Runner, think about what powers you want. Can people tell what your power is by looking at you? What questions do you have about your power? Occasionally in the game, other players determine things about your Runner. Leave space for the cool specific explanations to emerge in play. Think about the power’s effect (“My hand just passed through that chair!”) rather than explain the details of the power (“[detailed explanation of how I rearrange molecules]”).
    Write down a few words about your power. Make sure you leave room for variation, interpretation and expansion. Go with “can control water”, which has wider applications and is less likely to isolate a character or be out of place in the setting than “can breathe saltwater.” Think about how your power looks to other people too — “crushes things, bright light, leaves me hungry” is a fine way to describe your power at the start of the game.
    Assume you don’t know everything about your psi power, and allow it to develop in play. If you are playing along and you think of new or unexpected applications for your power, that’s great!
    3. When I look in the mirror, I see...
    What would your Runner see in a mirror? Write it down on your Runner sheet. Put as many details as you like: apparent age, gender, coloring, body type, overall style, an impression of health or frailty, any physical clues to psi power. Sometimes it will be very clear you have special powers — “I am floating 2 feet above the ground” — and sometimes it won’t — “I look like a regular guy, with stubble and a beat-up cap. There’s a box strapped to my wrist.”
    4. I have questions...
    Next, write down on your Runner sheet at least 4 and up to 6 questions, things your Runner is curious about. Don’t think up the answers now! During play, you or the other players will answer these questions.

Write at least one question that refers to your Runner’s powers.
    Psi powers can be really evident in how your Runner reacts or looks, or hinted at by unusual items or special equipment. Powers that involve mental perceptions could be really clear to your Runner right away. What questions does your Runner have about her powers?
    When did I learn to fly?
    How do I know what’s going to happen 10 seconds from now?
    Why are my irises white?
    How is it that I hear people’s thoughts?
    What are these metal arm bands?
    Where is my fire?

Write questions that refer to your Runner’s strengths and weaknesses.
    Some fears and skills go deeper than surface memory, into muscle memory. What is in your Runner’s muscle memory? What actions have they performed a thousand times? What scares you?
    What happened to make me terrified of doctors?
    How can I tell when things are about to break?
    When did I learn how to kill people?
    I worked with Prof. Ruahn — where?
    Where is my flute?
    That’s a military-grade explosive device on my belt – how do I know that?

Write at least one question about your Runner’s immediate past or current circumstances.
    What does your Runner have on them when they get the chance to run — a scrap of paper with an address, a photo, an odd gadget, a piece of jewelry, a name that keeps running through their head? What questions do these tiny bits of the past bring up? All questions are good; sometimes the ones that seem most mundane – “Where are my shoes?” – have the most interesting answers.
    What is my name?
    When did this dog start following me?
    Who is Sean?
    What’s at 136 Forrest Ave?
    What’s inside this box attached to my wrist?
    How am I going to find something I can eat?

All of the questions should hint at the Runner’s past, distant or immediate. Read your questions to each other, but don’t try to come up with answers to these questions now. If you do think of an answer, resist the temptation to say anything. You answer questions during play, as a result of a die roll; there’s no guarantee as to who will answer them and how, because how you place that die affects who answers.

Once you've got at least four questions written down, you can stop and leave the last two slots open. If you have questions to fill those slots, cool; if not, they can be filled in later during play. Can’t think of any? Ask for suggestions from the other players.
  • What's the Risk Sheet?

In each scene, the Runners roll dice, decide what they are risking, and place dice accordingly on the Risk sheet.

The Risk Sheet is everyone’s responsibility. It details the various things that a Runner weighs when pursuing her goals — achieving the goal, revealing a memory, staying ahead of the Chasers, staying safe, and using psychic power. It also says who has first say in each outcome.

• Am I supposed to copy my character over to this page?
  • The Chaser sheet has space for some broad descriptions of the Chasers. Over the course of play, you or the other players can add more details. When something is revealed about the Chasers, it’s the GM's job to write it down on the Chaser sheet.

• edited September 2013
    The Trail:

(last updated: 9/16/2013 scene 6)
  • Runner
    Aparent Age: 24
    Psi Powers: Mind Control, I can make people do what I want or make them into my minions.
    When I look in the mirror, I see: a young man about 24 of ambiguous racial stock with a crooked nose and tattoos wearing mint green hospital scrubs and sneakers with no socks. The tattoos are sleeves and on my chest. My dark hair is buzzed short and my eyes are bright green and intense. There seems to be a spot of blood on the canvass of my right sneaker. I think it may be my blood but I don't know why I think that.

I have Questions:
    Q1: Why does it feel so good to control another person?
    A1:
    Q2: What do these tattoos all over my chest and arms mean?
    A2:
    Q3: Why is there blood on my shoe?
    A3:
    Q4: I don't think I have ever been a father but why am I worried about my children?
    A4:
    Q5: Where will I find someone about my size I can trade clothes with?
    A5:
  • edited July 2013
    penday

1. Someone called me Pen-day. I think that's a nickname.

2. I see it all. The pulsing of electricity behind walls, the waves of sound coming from the phone ringing, the warmer air slipping in from outside. Sometimes all the extra input overwhelms me.

3. When I look in the mirror, I see a rough teen with brown skin and eyes and and black hair with odd-looking glasses.

4. I have questions...
    Next, write down on your Runner sheet at least 4 and up to 6 questions, things your Runner is curious about. Don’t think up the answers now! During play, you or the other players will answer these questions.

Q1 What can't I see?
    Q2 What happens when I see too much?
    Q2 Why am I missing my left pinky finger?
    Q3 Why do I have half a tattoo on my chest?
  • edited July 2013

Barco, I think.
    Apparent age: 20 something
    Psi Powers: I'm so slippery, like I was rubbed down with oil.
    When I see my reflection I see a young man, scared. Light glints off my shiny skin and short cropped hair. My blue scrubs say Barco on the left breast and my no slip shoes are all blue cotton and white rubber. I try to put on a brave face but it can't quite hide the uncertainty.

I have Questions:
    Q1: Why can't I wipe this sh*t off?!?
    A1:
    Q2: Why don't I like being touched?
    A2:
    Q3: Why are my scrubs different from the other runners' ?
    A3:
    Q4: I know Francisco well help me, who's Francisco?
    A4:
    Q5: Why does the runner with the green eyes seem so familiar?
    A5:
    Q6:
    A6:
  • edited September 2013
    1. Casey
    2. Whenever I touch someone, skin to skin, I travel to a random point in their past or future until I lose physical contact with them.
    3. Casey is in his late teens, an African-American male with bushy hair and long sideburns, washed-out blue eyes, chestnut-colored skin (slightly reddish-brown), medium build. He is very tall (about 6'3). He normally wears a light, white undershirt and blue gym pants with sandals. When his power activates, he disappears for the duration of the "jump." His image distorts, and there's a loud sonic boom and a chill in the air. When he returns, his appearance is followed by an uncomfortable wave of heat.
    4. Can I change the future or the past when I step out of time?
    Who keeps trying to kill me when I travel to a different time?
    Why do I remember a family sometimes when I was born an orphan?
    Why do I have this love letter from Sarah asking me to meet her when I don't know a Sarah?

Using the portrait as a base, imagine sideburns, lighter, redder skin tone, and faded blue eyes.

NEW PSI POWER AND QUESTIONS, circa 8/31/2013
    When prodded by mortal fear, Casey is able to move almost too fast for the human eye to follow.

I have a picture of me with a woman and four other children. It looks like a grade school picture. Who are the people in the picture?
    I have a love letter from Sarah in which she tells me that I need to stop running and come home. Can I trust her?
    I'm afraid of flying. Just the idea of getting on a plane makes me start to shake. What happened to me to cause this fear?
    Even though I'm Afro-British, judging from my accent, my skin has a reddish tinge to it and my eyes are a washed out blue. How else am I different?
    I have a full inhaler in my pocket, but I haven't suffered an asthma attack despite stress and exertion. Why am I carrying it?
  • Runner, approximate age is mid 20's. Female. Caucasian. Medium brown hair that falls just past the shoulders. It's straight. My eyes are brown. I'm average height, and I am wearing khaki's and a long sleeve purple henley shirt.

These questions have a grip on me, they're all I can remember.

1) I have a piece of paper in my pocket with a number on it, I have no idea what it is.
    2) Why don't my shoes fit?
    3) I have a long ragged scar on my stomach. What is it from?
    4) Where is Jeremy? And more importantly, who is he?
    5) Why is it that when I look at a place, say the next street corner, if I concentrate really hard, I can shift myself to that spot?

*psi ability is teleportation*
  • Welcome Arianakir, like your character. Though I had to look up what the heck a henley shirt was. :)

Team:

When rolling dice remember to make a separate post just for the die roll because you can't edit any post with a die roll in it.

Type: a hashtag followed by the word "dice" followed by an open perenthesis a space then 4d6 or 5d6 or 6d6 space close perenthesis. Note in other games you can do stuff like 2d6+1 or what have you but in psi run you roll 4, 5 or 6 d6 as the only options.

It will look like this
    #DiceRoller( 4d6 )
  • oh damn I wish I got that roll in game. lol
  • Since more than half of my questions refer to a power set I no longer have, I need new questions.

I have a picture of me with a woman and four other children. It looks like a grade school picture. Who are the people in the picture?
    I have a love letter from Sarah in which she tells me that I need to stop running and come home. Can I trust her?
    I'm afraid of flying. Just the idea of getting on a plane makes me start to shake. What happened to me to cause this fear?
    Even though I'm Afro-British, judging from my accent, my skin has a reddish tinge to it and my eyes are a washed out blue. How else am I different?
    I have a full inhaler in my pocket, but I haven't suffered an asthma attack despite stress and exertion. Why am I carrying it?