Ghostlines

RusRus
edited July 2013 in Pitch
PITCH: Ghostlines

[align=center]image[/align]

"You work the ghost lines of the electro-railroad that passes through the ink-dark deadlands between cities. Spirits of the dead -- free to roam the world since the gates of death were broken in the cataclysm -- often get entangled in the powerful electrical field generated by the trains. Line BULLS like you walk the length of the cars, magnetized boots clanking and breather-mask hissing, to clear the offending spirits with your lightning-hooks before they do too much damage."

I am considering MCing this game.

Looking for three to four players.
I plan on posting each weekday during my lunch break (MST) and likely once each evening.

In other games we've had a magical thing happen when all the players are on-line and actively posting. I would like to consciously make an effort to see that happen every once and awhile; a time frame where you don't need to give 100% of your attention (e.g, G+ Hangout), you might be doing other stuff on-line, but you're keeping an eye on the forum eager to post.

I would hope to see at least two or three sessions (these are measured with "downtime" rolls).
I would also hope to see the game wrap-up before Thanksgiving or Christmas with the possibility of rebooting after New Years.

Post here if you are even mildly interested. Whisper me a secondary contact method (if I don't already have one for you).

Oh, and one more thing, I am open to a more Western vibe to the setting, more dusters and dead landscapes. Dial down the metallic-steampunkish vibe. Dial up the Gunslinging-ghosthunters-on-trains-for-hire vibe. Maybe some isolated towns have their own electrical fields dotted out in the expanses. Maybe there is a wild lawless frontier, where the new cities are born -- that's the place the bold (or the foolish) go to make their fortune . . . .

Comments

• Ooh, I might be interested. This looks intriguing!
  • I'm interested, too.
  • I'm interested, either as written or with the Western elements.
  • Red, Ork, Cool.

Nice to meet you, dylanix.

Everyone, feel free to expand on any specific part of Ghostlines that interests you, maybe share a gist of your expectations to make sure we are on the same page. For me, the game just cries out for the MC to ask questions like crazy. That is one thing I am looking forward to.

Another example, something I’d like to call attention to: The Squad/Team aspect might not mesh well with PbP because we then play at the pace of the slowest poster. We could resolve the squad-like battles fairly quickly. Maybe we won’t look to the dice for each and every blow-by-blow action, and resolve big portions of fights with just one or two rolls. Something to keep in mind at any rate.

Players should post quickly when battles with the supernatural occur. (I would be happy to hash things out via text, whispers or email to keep things moving if you didn't have time to compose a post but could quickly tell me what your PC was doing.)
  • I'm interested. Some of the key words that interest me are "magnetized boots," "lightning-hooks," and "electrical field." Electromagnetism is a powerful force that I don't spend as much time as I'd like directly interacting with in games.

I'm weird about western settings. The simple answer for here is "I can take or leave it." The more complicated answer is "I like dusters. I don't like ten gallon hats. I like the idea of small towns on the frontier. I don't want to play a character that says 'howdy padnuh.'" I think the basic idea of a lawless frontier setting is very cool, but the more it hews toward spaghetti western sensibilities, the less it interests me.
  • Posted By: Max BI'm weird about western settings. The simple answer for here is "I can take or leave it." The more complicated answer is "I like dusters. I don't like ten gallon hats. I like the idea of small towns on the frontier. I don't want to play a character that says 'howdy padnuh.'" I think the basic idea of a lawless frontier setting is very cool, but the more it hews toward spaghetti western sensibilities, the less it interests me.
    Oh, this is me, too. You pulled that from my brain, Max!

Rustin, if you want to go spaghetti western, that's cool. I can bow out, no worries.
  • I was thinking more a Darktower vibe, but really just a background color thing. I am cool with not going there.
  • I think what intrigues me most about Ghost Lines is that the description of the job sounds awesome, but it's meant to be a job that no one really wants to take. You see this elsewhere, but the idea here of using electricity to capture spirits evokes its own kind of dangerous-cool-but-terrible.

I guess I have expectations that doing the job takes up only part of the sessions, with personal stories and world-building being more of the focus. No doubt the job is exciting and fun to play out, but I think I'd care more about the lives of the crew who have to put up with having this kind of job and the strange world they live in than the count of ghosts cleared, if it came to choosing. A mix of the three would be great.

Is that something of what you had in mind, or am I way off?
  • I've only read the first book in that series, but it was my favorite western-y thing I've ever read. I'm not sure how to describe what I liked about it that made it feel different. Maybe it's a matter of tropes versus cliches? I guess it felt like some other story wearing a western costume, whereas I think some non-actual-western-y stories feel more like "The Wild West, Plus X!" More "The Hero's Journey, with Cowboy Hats," and less "The Wild West, with Zombies!" I don't know if any of that makes any sense.
  • I am getting excited.

We have four right now. Sounds like we are all on the same page. E.g., Ghost battles are important but not the sole focus with more NPC and the world stuff.

Once you know for sure you're game chime in and we will begin.

Also, I am thinking first session will start in medias res. A ghost battle with each pc having a flashback scene involving other pcs perhaps. That sound fun?
  • I totally agree with everything. I'm not against Westerns, but not super crazy excited about them either. I really like what dylanix said.

Oh, and I'm totally in. And that first scene idea sounds great to me. And I'm really excited to be in a game you're MC-ing, Rustin. :)
  • I echo red's sentiments. I'm stoked to give this a shot and the kick-off sounds super-fun.
  • edited July 2013
    It seems like we've got good agreement for what we want from the game. Looks rad to me!

ETA: If we've got four, do we want to try to make a balanced squad of all four roles? I'm up for any role in that case.
    EFTA: As I keep reading I realize we work multiple roles. A-ha! Nevermind!
  • I'm definitely in; that starting situation is just the kind of thing I'd imagined.
  • Sweet.
    Now seems like a good time to mention any elements you do not want to see in the game. (Sort of like the yes/no list from Microscope.) We can discuss these if we need to. The game has quite a bit of shared creative control and it is nice to place some creative boundaries.

For example, I am not too keen on seeing vampires in this setting.

If someone poo poo’s an element you wanted to see, let us know why you had your heart set on it and we can work something out.

Otherwise . . .
    Use the tag GL for all threads.
    I think you can all start with your character threads now.

I will fire up an OOC thread.
    I am researching alternatives for book keeping (NPC and such).
    If all goes well I could have opening scene up on Thursday but most likely I will do it Saturday.