Sorcerer:SoC - Characters

Comments

• It's pretty good. It has a real strong wuxia flavor, and I wonder if we can integrate the color of the setting a little more closely. Your only real touchpoint is locations (the big empires.) For example it would be interesting if the monks who studied martial arts developed their form based on insects rather than more traditional animals. I'll have to reread the Martial Arts rules from Sex and Sorcery, b/c I don't remember what they provide other than color.

I'm not sure what you mean about how to link it. Link it to other characters or are you talking about the demon power link?

His reasons for having one seem clear enough. Who are his loved ones that he is going to protect, seeing as his family got knocked off?

High self esteem and Toughened by toil aren't on our will list. I think Vow would work fine for will. I might let Toughened stand.

Actually the kicker is really passive right now. A Kicker puts the character in motion. It's something that is happening to a character, which they must act on in some way, but which doesn't dictate what they must do.

For example you could have found and bound the demon before you went to the village, and the kicker could be the confrontation with the Dorok authorities.

Or you emerge from the temple to find the old monk and the men from the village waiting outside, clearly coming to stop you from taking the weapon.

I have some more thoughts but I must come back a little later.
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
    for additional color integration the weapon itself could be made from insect shell. In the source material the best armor and sharpest weapons are carved from insect shell. Or it could be some kind of technology (you would treat it as magical.) Object demons usually don't speak, they communicate through the transfer or withholding of their abilities. Perhaps you could have some scroll which tells the stories of others who have wielded it (deducing the need and method of binding from that). You might glance at the small section about demon weapons on p57 of Sorcerer and Sword.

Remember that you don't have to have just found the demon, you could have had it for a while.

I had another idea. Perhaps you find a scroll that after laborious study teaches you a combat style based on the insects (or whatever.) The scroll then tells you that if you perform a week long kata or perhaps fight a particular insect in the heart of the forest based on this kata and shed it's blood upon your hand crafted sword that the sword would be imbued with power. Just random thoughts. You can keep what you like.

I'd say make up the insect names whatever way you want, just make them sound kind of exotic.

Multiple styles if you want, but remember it's all color. Additionally you have to return to stance before changing style and you can't mix the links from the two styles.
  • Hey folks I'd like to get the characters finished up and start posting scenes this week.
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • No I agree, we shouldn't use specific place names from the manga/anime setting. Only that there is a younger imperial power and an older theocratic power and smaller and remnants of other kingdoms along the edge of the sea of corruption. I also want to establish the heart of the sea of corruption as an Other World, per the Sorcerer and Sword rules. Demon insects particularly seem to "be around" this part of the toxic jungle.
  • I'm assuming Garvey is out for now. I've not heard from him. If he manages to jump back in, we'll see what we can do. So tie up any loose ends and post your characters and demons to the wiki. I've sent you the login info.

Remember we're trying a posting rate of 3 game posts per week. (that ends up being like 12 posts for me possibly, but I'll see if I can hack it. ) I'd like thoughts on comments and kibbitzing because I'd like people to be involved. Maybe it's not doable, but it'd be nice for all of us to feel like others are engaged in our various tales. I don't mind if OOC commentary are in the midst of the scene posts, but maybe you folks do. Ideas?

For those of you who haven't played Sorcerer before, it's a little vague about bonus dice for rolls, saying they're awarded for good roleplaying. I'd like to clarify. 'Roleplaying' in the sense the book means is that you are narrating interesting, appropriate, colorful stuff into the game that helps the rest of us visualize and engage with the fiction. In a Ftf group the game master sort of judges those dice by the reaction of others around the table. That's going to be tougher in this medium.

So does everyone look like a good protagonist? I think everyone looks pretty good. Maybe get Mark to finish shaping up Wuxia boy there and we can get going.
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • I've added trithemius to the wiki; I'll add Thinker soon.

I've changed his will descriptor to a vow never to live in civilized lands again, which would also answer your question about why he didn't just flee to another country. Is that an acceptable vow?

I don't have any specific links to the other characters in mind, but I'm happy for trithemius to have met either or both of them in the Sea of Decay.

As for Trithemius's country of origin, or the town he visits annually for supplies, I have no preference - feel free to place them wherever fits best into your insidious plans.
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
    I like your guy Tass! Well done with the integration. As far as your kicker goes, lets just stop it after the point of the taxpayer arriving and demanding more. We'll leave what happens and reactions for play.

And your portrait isn't bad but you need to move the nose to the right some.

Last thing is we need binding rolls for the demons.

You guys need to roll whatever stat you're using to bind vs your demon's will.
    In tass's case it might be stamina based binding for example.
    Once you've done that you need to roll humanity vs the demons power to see if you took a hit from the binding.
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
    The rolls aren't always simple, but they tend to be at the set up. On the other hand, everyone is spared the contact and summons rolls and attendant humanity checks for the beginning demon.

What's your case for the past roll? You'd have to get two 10's to get one over on the throne. If you get only one 10 the throne still wins by one. (10's and 9's would cancel.) If you got two tens you'd get only one victory over the throne. It gives it a +1 over you at the moment for your interactions.
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
    Nope. Compare highest dice. If there is a tie then they are ignored and we look at the next pair until we find one that is not equal. In your case there is no tie. It rolled a 10. You rolled a 9. It has 1 victory over you.

Lets do a couple of example rolls:
  • Roll A

#DiceRoller(10d10)

Roll B

#DiceRoller(7d10)
  • edited November 2008
    Sort both rolls descending (I'm assuming you know you can click and select descending as a sort option) and we see that Roll A has 2 victories over roll B (2 dice over the best of Roll B's dice)

The loser's best die forms the "floor" of the roll. Victories are how many dice the winner has over the loser's best value. If the top value of the roll is tied, then we discard those dice and go to the next highest value in each roll until we find a pair that are not tied.

Not as horrible as you thought!

Roll A
    #DiceRoller(5d10)

Roll B
    #DiceRoller(5d10)

Roll C
    #DiceRoller(5d10)

Roll D
    #DiceRoller(5d10)
  • edited November 2008