Sorcerer:SoC - Characters

13»

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Comparing A to B, B wins with two victorious 7's over A's highest 6
    Comparing B to C, C wins with two victories (9 and 8) over B's 7
    Comparing C to D, D wins with one victory (the 10) over C's best of 9

Make sense?

Crossposted: Yep, it's a common misconception about the dice in this game.

So it has +1 bonus on interaction with Briseis, and Briseis' Humanity drops from 5 to 4.

I agree that her past would play into the binding so I'd allow you to roll Past vs itself and roll any successes into the binding. Go ahead.
  • edited November 2008
    Ignotus. I think Trithemius is pretty good. For some NPC's though here are some suggestions. Are you leaving them up to me?
    • Some relative of the rival you killed who is still searching the world to take his revenge on Trithemius.
    • The lover Trithemius killed over, who likewise may be searching or may have caught wind that he is still alive and might have sent others to look for him.
    • Someone from the village who likes him, perhaps idolizes him and wants to learn the ways of the forest like he has.
    • Someone from the village who has managed to wake his heart again after 20 years, presenting a struggle between his vow to shun civilization and being connected with the human world again. Perhaps she has family who are less than approving of these developments.
    • Someone from the village who sees him as a dire danger and wishes him gone.
  • edited November 2008
    It's vs itself. Five dice vs five dice. She's struggling against the boundaries of her own knowledge. This should be something pretty challenging for her to do even given her background.
  • Hey Ignotus. One thing I'm not really clear on. Why did Trithemius bind Thinker? People don't do this casually or by accident. He wanted help or a tool for something, perhaps hiding? I don't feel like I really have a clear grip on his interests. Is he living in isolation till death? Is his interest not to be discovered? Is he trying to accomplish something else? Does he believe civilization should end and is working to accomplish that somehow?

Rugrsi, same for you. I understand his interest may be protecting the noble/royal family but is that it? Does he have any other interests, intentions short of the will of his masters? Why did he bind Mr. Sample there for example?

Yellow, At least one of Briseis interests are pretty clear, she wants revenge for her people. My reading is that she intends to build a war machine to destroy the empire that destroyed her home, is that right? Does she want to conquer the empire or destroy it? Does she have any other interests?

Finally, Tass your interests are about reclaiming your noble position and re-founding your family, right? Is it also about punishing his enemies? Any other interests?

I'd like sort of a clear articulation of two to three interests/intents, maybe one if it's all you can think of.
  • RusRus
    edited November 2008
  • Rugrsi: Nope, you only ever loose one humanity per check, no matter how many victories. So your humanity is at 3, and the sample gets +1 in its interactions with you. You saw the dice examples that I made earlier up thread right? In humanity checks victories don't really matter, just if you succeeded or not.

Tass: You can make a cover vs itself roll or a stamina vs itself roll (one or the other.) and roll those victories into your bind if you want.
  • edited November 2008
    Yellow,

With your existing roll + new dice = 10 9 9 8 7 7 6 3 1, pairs of tens and nines cancel. You have one remaining 9 over it's 8 so the bind is now +1 in your favor.
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • edited November 2008
  • Posted By: trevisHey Ignotus. One thing I'm not really clear on. Why did Trithemius bind Thinker? People don't do this casually or by accident. He wanted help or a tool for something, perhaps hiding? I don't feel like I really have a clear grip on his interests. Is he living in isolation till death? Is his interest not to be discovered? Is he trying to accomplish something else? Does he believe civilization should end and is working to accomplish that somehow?

Hmm... I think Trithemius originally bound Thinker to help elude his pursuers and to help him survive in the forest.

As for interests, I think Trithemius wants to be left alone, and to lead a just and virtuous life to make up for the crime he committed. As long as he lives alone in the Sea of Decay it's easy for him to be just - he has no duties, obligations or dilemmas beyond immediate survival and respecting the ecosystem. Once other humans show up, or if he has to leave the forest, however, things may become... complicated.

As for npcs, I do seem to have left you in the lurch a bit. My apologies. Here are some npcs for Trithemius, mostly based on your excellent suggestions:

- The woman Trithemius killed for, when he was an aristocrat. Once princess of the country, she is now queen.
    - a relative of his rival, now a magistrate
    - a daring young woman from the village who spends a lot of time in the forest and holds Trithemius in great esteem
    - the young explorer's father, who is deeply suspicious of Trithemius and would like to be rid of him
    - a prostitute whom Trithemius frequents when he comes to town for supplies
    - a merchant sufficiently uncowed by Trithemius's reputation (or greedy enough for the chitin and archaeotech he has to trade) to deal with Trithemius when he comes to town.
    - Trithemius's aging father, and a couple of siblings, nobles who believe him to be dead.

I'm thinking that most villagers don't know the details of Trithemius's history, just that he's strange and there are fell rumors about him.
  • Ok, Thinker's stats are up on the wiki and it's time for the binding (wish me luck...)

Lore #DiceRoller( 5d10)

vs.

Power #DiceRoller(5d10)

Followed by

Humanity #DiceRoller(3d10)

vs.

Power #DiceRoller(5d10)
  • Well, that officially sucked. So it goes. I guess I'm down to humanity 2, then.

Trithemius may be a short-lived fellow.
  • edited November 2008
    And Thinker has a +1 in contests with him. Definately not much cushion for you. Well Trithemius is a hugly high lore character and has remained virtually isolated. You might have mitigated it a little by haveing a regular stat at 1 (Stamina, usually. Having a will less than 3 in sorcerer is virtually suicidal, but I've seen it done.) , but that has its own disadvantages (buch of sick people here, from the forest I mean.) There are always humanity gain rolls!
  • Just to keep you all updated, I'm doing a little planning making various backstory decisions and I'm looking forward to posting the first scenes this weekend.
  • I'm still working a couple of things out. I'll post the scenes soon.