dem characters

(More to come...)

<table>Table table table.</table>

Header 1Header 2
row 1, cell 1row 1, cell 2row 1, cell 3
row 2, cell 1row 2, cell 2

Comments

• edited November 2013
    (This is where I'm situated at this moment, but flexible if I've done something suboptimal (or y'know, wrong))

Robin of the Bramble Clan, lately of Nivaa's Cross -- Journeyman Chef, natural burglar and reluctant adventurer; thirty years of age. Friend of Eli the merchant and enemy to Altfar the magician. Not a pawn in the war between law and chaos.

I have hidden depths (1) and I am foolhardy (1).

I instinctually always scan new surroundings for traps. I believe that when you must fight, the key is surprise. My current goal is to bring gold and silver out of Traveler's Hill.

I am Fresh.

Abilities
    Will - 5
    Health - 3
    Nature: Halfling - 5/5 (sneaking, riddling, merrymaking)
    Resources - 0
    Circles - 4

Wises
    Needs a little salt
    Traps

Skills
    Cook - 4
    Criminal - 3
    Fighter - 3
    Hunter - 2
    Persuader - 2
    Scavenger - 2
    Scout - 3

Inventory
    head - helmet
    hands - torch (4)
    torso - leather armor and backpack
    belt - thieves tools, spear and wine skin
    backpack - cash 2D, small sack (2), fresh rations (2), tinderbox, hammer and spikes (6)
    small sack -
    And a leather headband adorned with beads of moss agate holds my hair out of my face.

Checks
    1 - cooking for Wat
  • edited December 2013
    [b]Hro
  • RusRus
    edited November 2013
    Helevand - Descendant of a once proud family of weavers, who would weave the rare threads and fibers discovered by the Young Lords. And when they ascended the family’s legacy and skills had no market, so they fell into poverty and ruin.

Fate:0
    Persona:0
    Fresh [-], hungry & thirsty [ ], angry [ ], afraid [ ], exhausted [ ], injured [ ], sick [ ], dead [ ]

Human Warrior 23yrs,
    Home: Nivaa’s Cross a busy crossroads
    Raiment
    Parents: they are dead. 1D value a finely gold thread woven length of cloth
    Mentor: Drutle, the Scavenger outside of town (Circles +1)
    Friend: Aemilia, brother’s wife and haggler (Circles +1)
    Enemy: Steelguard, the Dwarf
    Level:1

Alignment: Unaffiliated
    Belief:My brother has The Blight so his fate depends on me.
    Weapon: Polearm

Goal: Prove to Hrolfr I am an invaluable member of his crew.
    Instinct: Always make note of the nearest water source before camp.

Traits
    -Heart of Battle
    -Foolhardy (changed to Defender)

Abilities
    Wil: 3
    Health:5

Wises:
    Finery-wise

Skills
    Fighter:4
    Hunter:3
    Commander:2
    Haggler: 2 (Hometown)
    Mentor:2
    Rider:2
    Pathfinder: 3 (I’m Human) P
    Persuader: X (F)
    Orator: 2
    Scavenger:2 (Specialty)

Circles 4
    Resources: 0

Nature 3
    Boasting, Demanding, Running
    Drink and Boast +1
    Bow to elves and dwarves No change
    Do not fear (replace home trait with Defender)

Head
    w- Helmet
    Neck
    w - Woven finery of gold (1D)
    Hands:
    w-
    w-
    c- Polarm
    c- Small Sack

Torso:
    w- Backpack
    w- Backpack
    w-
    Belt:
    Pouch-
    Weapon- Hatchet
    Skin- Wine
    Feet:
    w- Shoes
    Backpack:
    1- Rations Fresh
    2- Rations, preserved
    3- Torches (4)
    4- Torches (4)
    5- Small Sack
    6- Stake + Mallet

Sack
    1- ?
    2- ?
  • Nice! I like the belief about the Blight.

(I need to futz around with tables in HTML.)
  • RusRus
    edited October 2013
    Cool. I will clean up the instinct once I read through condition list.
    The inventory part I know is important but looked procrastination worthy. :)
  • There are some cool bbcode table generators out there.
  • The inventory is much easier to stomach on paper, that's for dang sure. :D
  • Chris, you should make sure you have your quantities right. Small sacks come two to a slot, and preserved rations come three to a slot. I'm not sure you can stack torches in a hand - I think that might only work in a storage slot. At least, logically that would be the case.

You might consider going with fresh rations instead of preserved. Preserved rations pack down better, but they're harder to cook with, and you're the cook. The rest of us can share with you if we have to grab a bite on the go, and that way you could hold on to fresh rations for cooking in camp. And if we run out, we can always time out to do a little hunting.
  • The question of carrying a stack of torches in one hand came up on BWHQ and never seemed to be satsifactorily answered. Me, I am okay with holding torches 1 lit, three reversed and unlit or something similar - the risk comes when twists are invoked: dropping one torch in a puddle while the others are in your rucksack is annoying. Dropping all 4 in a puddle and ruining them all can be pretty serious.
  • Also, I am ready to roll on a game thread as soon as we get the last bits of inventory straightened out.

Michael - I like your image-based inventory solution! I am guessing that's a copypasta in Hr
  • Ok. I will bust out the inventory stuff tonight.
  • edited October 2013
    That's supposed to be a helmet, not a unique expression of dwarven culture. And I'm one of the best Fighters and the only Dungeoneer, so I figured I'd stick with the satchel, especially since carrying rope means that the backpack would only net me a single extra inventory slot.

Also, since I don't actually have space for a pouch of coins, maybe I do have a mentor. It'd be some creaky old dwarven dungeoneer from back in the dwarven halls. It's probably not going to come up in game, but I'll get around to adding him/her for the +1 Circles.
  • Lookin' good! I will open the game threads later today - since I don't anticipate people being split into scenes, I'll just do an IC and an OOC.

Also! The Traveler's Hill writing is coming along splendidly, and you all will get playtest credit (assuming you desire the dubious honor) so do mention how you'd like to be credited.
  • edited October 2013
    Rustin -

"Always fill my water skin when able" isn't a very workable instinct, since that won't require a check except in extraordinary circumstances. If you want something water-related, you could do something like "always locate a water source before making camp", though that's a Survivalist check. If you just want to point toward addressing hungry/thirsty, I think one of the example characters has "always go hunting when making camp", which is pretty good.

I don't think you can start with a sling. You get your main weapon, and then you have the option of picking up a shield as a secondary weapon (or alternately taking a helmet), but that's it. That's just for starting characters, of course.

Your armor takes up a torso slot, so you need to either ditch the cloak or cut the backpack down to a satchel.

You know that the stake and mallet are specifically for fighting vampires?

I'm don't know if you can start with a full sack, but maybe. Not sure on that one.

You probably don't need that many rations. You have, uh, 6 preserved, 2 fresh, plus water is 9 rations, which is 36 turns in the dungeon, which is a lot of time. And that's leaving aside cooking, hunting, and refilling water skins (if we locate a water source). Are you aware that you get 3 preserved rations per slot and 2 fresh rations per slot?

You need a tinderbox to light a torch without a check. Granted, there's already two tinderboxes in the party, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about it, but you could still theoretically get separated and stuck in the dark. Just to make sure you're aware.
  • If you want to credit me, my shown name is fine.

Could you tag these threads?
  • I think the sling is beyond the scope of a starting character. I am okay with having a helmet but no armor, if that's how you want to roll - you also may start with "as much gear as you can carry," so if you want to have some stuff in a sack in your off-hand that's fine. When there's a fight, though, you're going to have to drop it or something, with that polearm you're toting around.

Also, I'd advise having Wine in your skin while you can - +1D to recover from Angry, if you use it for that purpose.

The stake and mallet, I mean - it's 3 linden stakes and a mallet. You can test Theologian to kill a vampire with them, but I don't see why they'd be less useful than any non-sacred mallet and stakes re: wedging doors, securing ropes, etc. Less useful than iron spikes and a hammer for sure! I'd probably call it a factor (that is, +1 Ob) to do an iron spike's job with a wooden stake. I'd also take a cue from the Iron Spikes gear listing re: #spikes necessary to do a job - there'd be a 50% chance that your 3 stakes would be insufficient. It does take up fewer slots than spikes (pack 1) and a hammer (pack 1). You picks your inventory and you takes your chances.
  • I imagined the sack tied to my polearm, like a proper hobo. Just slide it off when it comes to smacking people with it.
    What else goes in a pouch?
  • @Rus: A pack 1 item, so - 2x small sack, bundle of candles, bundle of torches, oil flask, garlic... or you can just leave it empty. I mean, ideally, you want enough gear to survive with + enough space to carry the phat lewtz. You could stick a cloak in your small sack. If you wanted to not worry about the stakes/mallet thing you could replace that with 6 spikes, and use the peen of your belt-slot tool-hatchet.

I think - if it were me - I'd do that, swap mallet/stakes for iron spikes, keep the hatchet as a tool/hammer thingy, and if skipping armor I'd wear a rope coil or cloak in that empty torso slot. Tuck the small sack back with its mate so there's no dropping and losing things in a fight or as a twist. Or carry something clumsy in it like a wine bottle or grappling hook.

Is your raiment that woven finery? What's that like - a neckcloth kinda thing?
  • I am going to get this party killed aren't I. Can't even pack my own bags. :)

I put leather armor on.
    I randomly selected gear and got the stake and mallet, so we will roll with it.
    If he can have the sack in hand then I think loading with torches sounds likely.
  • Sack in hand is totally fine.
  • Just screwing around with the dice roller - don't mind me.

#DiceRoller(6d6)