[AW] DVFP

edited October 2013 in Pitch
Hi there!

* I'm interested in MCing a game of Apocalypse World here
* I like bulleted lists
* I want to play with folks who aren't in any of the other PBP games with me. I want fresh blood!
* I'd like to get a post per weekday from folks
* I don't want to play this game forever, but I'd like to give it solid go
* I'm open to some LE playbooks, but some I'll probably disallow

Setting Pitch:
I'm interested in exploring an apocalypse within a microcosm. Specifically, the world of Death Valley Free Prison. DVFP is a 90s era setting book for a super old game called Cyberspace. I don't care about the system, neither should you. But the idea behind DVFP has always intrigued me.

Imagine if a few generations ago, someone decided to round up all the people in prison and dump them into Death Valley. Build huge walls around the valley and just let the prisoners have at it. Send them food sometimes, let them do whatever they like. So, outside the walls of DVFP, the world is high tech and generally pretty great. But in the world of DVFP, it is a post-apocalyptic dog-eat-dog society, scarcity, violence, and of course, this is AW, so there's the psychic maelstrom.

You'd play either second or third generation prisoners, meaning the kids of bad folks, or their kids. You didn't commit a crime? Well, doesn't that suck! I'm sure you will eventually.

About Me:
I've been running PBP games here for a bit. My most successful ones were Ashen Snow (an AW game) and a campaign of Lady Blackbird. My strengths are interesting characters and situations, a strong hand for dialog, and the ability to share narrative and build off of other people's great ideas.

Okay, I wanna play!:
Post your interest here. It isn't first come, first served. I will chat with all interested folks and then we'll see if we have a quorum for an awesome game.

Thanks!
Rich

Comments

• Maybe you're thinking

But Rich, why would I want to play in some funk-tastic 90's PA setting? That's sounds laaaaaame

Here's some reasons:
    Two Dudes

Truk Stop

And, if we want to use it, there's even a big overhead map:
    Da Map
  • I'm interested. Looks a little like fallout, without the nuclear radiation!
  • I am hella interested.
  • As stated on G+, I'm interested in joining the game, but I've never done an AW PbP. Is there a primer anywhere I could review?
  • hey Chris Grau! There's a few primers, let me grab some pertinent data and put up a new thread.

Lots of different ways to play by post, but I think a primer would be good.
  • edited October 2013
    Chris, I'll be putting up my own Basic Game Info thread for this specific AW game when we launch. It will have some info grabbed from the Lady Blackbird game I ran here, such as:

Where do I put my Character?
    AFTER we have collaboratively made PCs, I'd like for each of you to create a thread for your PC. It's your own space, spruce it up how ya like. If you don't know how, check out the PC threads form other games, use the "quote" feature to see the code behind it and STEAL, STEAL, STEAL.

Who starts scenes?
    The MC (me) starts scenes. I will open new threads for scenes. I like how in other games that the scene thread lists the characters and what session/scene they're in. I will replicate that for this game, plus add in tags for the PCs involved.

What if I want a specific scene?
    Any player can ask for a scene at any time. This is actually a good idea for times when player activity is out of sync and you want to keep going (as long as I can keep up). Ask for it in OOC thread and I'll start up a scene with a new thread.

How do we help each other?
    I'm going to allow players to Help AFTER the roll here. Players can ask before they hit the dice, if they wish.

What if I'm not in a scene, but I have a cool idea for something to happen? Or, what if I am in a scene and I have a cool idea for something for the MC to do to another Player Character that my character wouldn't do?
    First of all, both situations are great! I welcome input and collaboration. Please post the ideas/suggestions in the Out-Of-Character thread. I may ask questions, I may throw it into the In-Game thread whole cloth, I may modify it. But I love the feedback and I will do my best to foster collaboration because this is *our* game, not *my* game.

When does a "game session" end?
    This is important because Apocalypse World has mechanics for session ends. I will call end of session based on feel, taking into account how much real-life time has passed, how much game time has passed and how many events have occurred. If you feel a session has come to a natural end, please say so on the OOC thread, I will take it into account.

How often do we play?
    The game is basically always live, which is for good or ill. I post with relative frequency, but without much consistency (meaning sometimes during weekdays if work is light, sometimes at night unless I have offline fun/responsibilities happening). My weekends are primarily for my family, so expect light posting then. If I am going to be offline for more than two days, I will note it in the OOC thread.

What if I will be away for a couple days?
    Note it in the OOC thread if you'll be away for more than a couple days. If you don't note it and a day has passed, I reserve the right to move on and let your character fall into NPC status until you pick it up. NPC status means I will play your character based on my interpretation of how the character sheet reads plus anything I see you have done in the game (that I can remember). You won't get XP, you won't help other PCs, you won't use Moves. I won't do this lightly. I don't *want* to play your character for you, it increases my workload and steals some of our collaborative efforts. I have two primary goals for taking this action, if I choose to do so: 1) I don't want to keep the majority of the players waiting in limbo 2) I don't want the game to die on the vine: I really want to play this story to its completion.
  • If my blood is fresh enough, I'm interested.
  • I'm yer huckleberry.
  • It looks like we have five players!

Alright, let's talk playbooks.

The playbooks can be found here.

There are also Limited Edition playbooks out there. I'm a fan of most of those authorized by Mr. Baker.

Notice I said "most". I'm not a big fan of the Maestro'D or the Hoarder. If you want to sell me on an idea, then go ahead. I'll chat with you. But, if it's just in your top three, might wanna look elsewhere.

So... who wants to play what? Let's just kibbitz for a bit, see what playbooks look cool, and then we'll step through chargen.
  • Man, this is always the tough part.

I think the three that most catch my attention are the Hardholder, Operator, and Faceless. I'd like to take the Driver for a spin sometime, but acknowledge this might not be the game for it.
  • I'm most interested in the Savvyhead, followed by the Operator.
  • So I totally think this is rad but I'm an old hand around here that doesn't want to commit to daily posting, but the real reason I'm posting is that I looked at the LE playbooks again and I'm missing some of them. Macaluso? Solace? SPACE MARINE MAMMAL?! Is anybody offering trades of these for absurd feats carried out, or do I need to go over to the real AW forum for that?
  • Posted By: MaduI'd like to take the Driver for a spin sometime, but acknowledge this might not be the game for it.
    I absolutely see cars barreling down desert roads ala Road Warrior movies in this game.
  • I'm interested in Space Marine Mammal, Operator and Gunlugger...

Maybe a Quarantine who is a cryogenically frozen prison guard?
  • Posted By: JuddI'm interested in Space Marine Mammal, Operator and Gunlugger...

Maybe a Quarantine who is a cryogenically frozen prison guard?
    I just got ahold of Space Marine Mammal. I'm not loving it for DVFP, to be honest.

It seems Operator is a popular playbook!
  • Sweet, well - I'll step away from Operator and call my top three Hardholder, Driver, and Faceless. I totally dig being someone's appalling lieutenant/attack dog for the latter.
  • http://postapocalypticfashion.tumblr.com/

For all of your visial AW needs...
  • Wowzers! Love it, Judd!

I'm looking to make up a custom name list for DVFP. I did this for the Junk World game I'm MCing on another forum, and it was superfun. For Junk World, I made a list of nothing but brand names from around the world. The logic was that the people living on this trash planet would see them on the trash around them, and that's what they knew, so that's what they named their kids.

For a culture of prisoners, what is an interesting name list that it unique but vaguely familiar? Is there anything Australian that could work? A bunch of numbers and letters is NOT cool, IMHO. Not for numerous folks. Could do it like Paranoia or The Island, and have a name, generation and something else?
  • In alphabetical order, I'm looking at the Battlebabe, the Chopper, and the Hocus.

How Weird are we thinking this is going to get? Normal Apocalypse World level? Less so? For my part, I'd like to preserve the strangeness that the psychic maelstrom brings, especially if I end up with the Hocus.
  • I'm going to go with a gunlugger named Navarre, named after a fairy tale called The Lady Hawk that his mother used to tell him as a boy. She said that his father was a SWAT team member sent down to get an anthropologist who was sent down here to study it but Navarre thinks the story of his father's identity is probably his mother's romantic fantasy and not true at all.

That said, he has spent his life gathering whatever relics, armor and weapons the SWAT guys left behind all those years ago.
  • Posted By: dylanixHow Weird are we thinking this is going to get? Normal Apocalypse World level? Less so? For my part, I'd like to preserve the strangeness that the psychic maelstrom brings, especially if I end up with the Hocus.
    I'll try to follow where you guys take it, but I've found my default reactions are less Weird.
  • edited October 2013
    Just so I'm tracking things, this is what I see so far:

* Arianakir: Unknown
    * dylanix: Battlebabe, the Chopper, and the Hocus
    * Judd: Navarre the Gunlugger
    * Madu: Chalk the Faceless.
    * nilum87: Unknown
  • For serious? that's HILARIOUS!

and cool.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm going to step away from Operator and call my top three Hardholder, Driver, and Faceless.

Edited to add: Thinking about it, Driver's just not doing it for me right now. I'll go Faceless, unless it turns out we need someone with an organization.
  • Posted By: MaduEdited to add: Thinking about it, Driver's just not doing it for me right now. I'll go Faceless, unless it turns out we need someone with an organization.
    I wouldn't worry about what we appear to need and just go with what excites you to play.

Need is what drives AW play.

Also, a Faceless and a Gunlugger who work together can smash the damned world.
  • Faceless it is!

How about the name "Chalk," which is apparently prison slang for hooch/toilet wine?
  • Posted By: MaduFaceless it is!

How about the name "Chalk," which is apparently prison slang for hooch/toilet wine?
    Sounds good!
  • Yeah, good stuff so far. Lets get some more playbooks chosen before we dip too far into world building.