[MH] Lunch [Te S2:3.0]

edited December 2013 in In-Game
Teddy,

It's Saturday. It's been a rough couple of days I suppose. Did you feel better after that first night with Myrii's smooth, sweet-smelling warmth tucked against you? She sang to you too, softly, with her already musical voice in words you didn't understand but that sounded vaguely eastern european or Russian or something.

The following day you staged the visit, with Myrii, much recovered, only wearing an old robe, but your Mom didn't even blink, welcoming your new guest as if she were normally clothed, and about your age (or only a little older.) You definitely got a sense of how deceptive her magic can be. Did that creep you out at all?

She spent that night (Thursday) with Holly, but snuck back into your room on Friday night. If you ended up having sex on either night, let me know because you probably offloaded a string there.

She went to school with you, following Holly around a lot, but spending time with you too. Again you saw people just plain not look at her very hard, as if she were completely normal.

You haven't seen Ashley at all. She hasn't been at school the last two days. Did that throw you? You had to get to school a different way I guess. The last time she missed even a day of school was when she was violently ill with the flu, like two years ago. If you've been trying her at all, you're getting voicemail.

More than that Nula's disappeared. Just up and Gone. Jarrod and his Dad have gone too, all together. What kind of rumors have you been hearing about it? How have you been dealing?

Brad asked you again, about the Dance, what did you say? What are your plans for tonight?

But here you are at a nice restaurant. A favorite, right? Your Dad is sitting across from you. He's been warm and talkative and jovial. A little too much, actually, like he's nervous.

The waiter has just brought your food (what did you order?) Your Dad gives you that crooked grin of his.

"So... kiddo. I, um... I wanted to talk to you about a couple of things. The first one... um... well the first one is that I've been in a relationship with a very special lady and... well we've decided to get married." He's watching you closely, clearly anxious about your reaction.

What do you do?

Comments

• edited January 2014
  • "I... Look... I know that you..." He sighs, reaches out and puts a hand on your arm. "It's not so bad. It's just... it's time, honey. I think when you get to know Gloria, you'll really like her."

He leans back and takes a sip from his beer.

"And..." He says, putting the glass down. "I was wondering if you wanted to come and live with me... with us for a while."
  • edited January 2014
  • "Teddybear..."

He clasps his hands in front of him, looks a them for a moment, then looks up at you.

"Look... I know you've got all those things and I'm not saying it would be easy. But... I miss you. I know I haven't been there for you. I'm sorry about that. It's my biggest regret really, about what happened. I've... I've missed an awful lot and I want to have some time with my little girl before you're all grown up."
  • edited January 2014
    He gets a hint of his crooked smile.

"Soon as you like. After Christmas if you want. That's when the wedding is... Gloria's hoping you'll be in it, by the way."
  • "I talked to your Mom a little bit. We... we agreed that you were old enough to choose where you wanted to be." He says. "And I know you've got your friends and things... It can be whenever you like. The summer's just fine. But if you want to come sooner, whenever, just say the word."

The strained quality to the smile tells you he was hoping your reaction would be more positive. That maybe you would be excited about living with him.

"As for the wedding, we absolutely do want you there. And it would be great if you were part of it... if you want, of course." He holds up his hands in a placating gesture. "I know it's weird. You and Gloria don't know each other. But she's going to be an important part of my life for a long time, and you already are. She... she knows how much you mean to me and she just wants a chance for the two of you to connect." He glances down and back up.

"You don't have to decide now, sweetheart. Just... just give it some thought, okay?"
  • "Down in Boston. The Wedding is on New Year's Day." He says, but then he's frowning. He's noticing your excessive blinking.

"What's going on with your Mom? When we spoke it... well I haven't heard her sound that good... well in a while. Is there something wrong? Or anything, your friends? You can talk to me."
  • He considers that.

"That seems like it would be a good thing... she certainly seems happier. Is it making you uncomfortable or is it your friend who is unhappy about it?" He asks.
  • edited January 2014
  • Your Dad was just taking a drink of his beer when you said that. HIs eyes get wide in surprise and he starts coughing.

"Wha..' (cough) "What? Wh..." (cough, cough)

He coughs a few more times before he can get it under control, but he finally he does. There are a few more mild coughs as he studies your face and there seems to be a certain tension building in his as his mouth gets flat.

"And... your friend doesn't know it yet." The tone is kind of flat. He looks away from you for a moment, kind of hunched over, the fingers of his hands wavering between being curled and open.

He leans back and slaps the palm of his hand on the table, enough to make things jump and causing other people to look your way. His other hand goes up to cover his eyes for a moment. "Dammit. Goddammit." It's a whisper.

Have you ever seen your Dad angry? I mean... ever?

The hand over his eyes slides down his face and he exhales, obviously getting a grip. His eyes come back to you again. "I'm... I'm sorry honey. I never..." He looks around seeming a little dazed. "Jesus Peggy, again?..." He mutters. He shakes his head, meets your eyes. "I never thought she'd do this to you, sweetheart. I'm... I"m sorry. I'll... we'll straighten this out, okay? Who is the... the man she's seeing?""
  • Apparently he is thinking about it.

"Is it..." His eyes are watching you for a minute. "It's Mr. Lange?" He asks in a whisper. "Ashley's dad?"

Your look is probably enough to confirm it, right?

"Look, honey. I'll... I'll.. talk to her. She..." His eyes are still angry. His throat tight. "I won't... I won't let her mess things up for you."
  • He nods. But he seems full of his own thoughts and feelings.

"Happiness doesn't make it right. I'll talk to her. It's one thing to hurt me, it's... it's not... I won't let her hurt you too. I won't."
  • edited January 2014
  • "I know, baby. I'm sorry." He sighs. "And It was partly my fault." He pauses. Leans forward again, putting his elbows on the table.

"I was sick. I have bipolarism. You know what that is, right? Manic-depression? Well... it made me pretty hard to live with. After a really rough patch I checked myself into a hospital and got some treatment. It was a few months before I was well enough to come back and... Well, your Mom had decided she was done. I guess... she'd told me... proved... she'd been seeing someone that uh... whole year. So she gave me the papers. And... I didn't take it... well."

He shakes his head.

He's been looking out the window and turns to you again to meet your eyes.

"I wanted to come back sweetie. And when the divorce was happening, I wanted to take you, but... well I'd just been in a mental hospital and my lawyer said that... that there was no chance I'd get custody."
  • I'd say it's close enough. He's making himself vulnerable there, so take the string.

He looks at you steadily for a moment. then gives you a half-smile. He knows it's a lot to take in.

"Okay kiddo... I won't fight with her. For you. Or, I'll do my best not to anyway. But I will talk to her about this. It's... it's just not right."
  • -- End Scene--

(Unless you want something else there, just let me know.)