[Scarlet] Out-Of-Game Thread

edited March 2014 in Out-Of-Game
Greetings and Salutations,

This thread serves as our OOG chatter. The two players - Ryan and Chris, should post PCs in the next post. After that, we can use this thread for rules questions, scheduling and hopefully, lots of atta boys.

FOR REFERENCE:

The Damage Dice table:
Die result*__________Damage** (in Hit Dice)
1________________None
2-5______________1 point
6-9______________2 points
10+______________4 points

* Each die is counted individually.
** HP of heroes or HD of creatures.

If a hero is engaged against a group of creatures any “overflow” damage from an attack beyond that necessary to down a foe can be delivered to another enemy within reach, provided the same attack roll could have hit them too.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Liu Wenxiong "Laughing Crane"
    Human Male Fighter
    Level 3
    ---------------------------
    Str 16 +2
    Int 11
    Dex 14 +1
    Wis 10
    Con 13 +1
    Cha 13 +1
    HP: {19}
    Attack Bonus +3
    Fray Die: 1d8
    AC 4 (3 with shield)

Traits:
    Noble Born Xian Aristocracy 2
    A Face you can Trust 2
    Versed in the Classics 2
    Monster Hunter 1

Equipment:
    61 gold coins
    10 silver coins
    one-handed sword
    bow
    quiver, 20 arrows
    Chain Armor
    Shield
    Backpack
    Camp gear
    Scribes tools
    Journal (blank book)
    [43 lbs]
    Horse

Notes:
    Short term goals:
    Mo' money. I am used to living a certain lifestyle. While I don't expect to duplicate that, exaclty, I miss good food and drink. And sleeping in barns is not fit to my disposition.
    Also, I need to upgrade my gear and buy a horse.

Long Term goals:
    Retake my house. There was a power struggle between my Uncles. My father sided with Uncle Kao, the older brother and sitting patriarch of our house. Unfortunately Uncle Kao's profligate lifestyle had nearly driven the house to financial ruin. Uncle Xuande gathered his support and stormed the ancestral palace. Many of the servants and palace guards were already on Xuande's side, so they simply stepped aside. Uncle Xuande was generous to many of them, letting them transfer their loyalty to him. With the family members he was not so lenient. He had my father and older siblings killed, along with all of Uncle Kao's family. I barely escaped with my life and I suspect Uncle Xuande, now the Patriarch of House Liu, has agents looking for me.
  • edited August 2014
    Ba Jiao

Level: 3 Race: Human
    Class: Thief (Archetype: Scholarly ruin Explorer)

HP: 8 [4+2/level] AC: 5 (7 armor & 2 dex bonus)
    Fray: 1d6 Attack Bonus: +2 [1 +1/2 levels]
    9 Str --
    13 Int +1
    17 Dex +2
    12 Wis --
    11 Con --
    14 Cha +1

Traits:
    Versed in the stories of Ninefold Celestial Empire (2)*
    Soothing voice (1)
    Quiet as a mouse (2)*
    Knows someone that knows someone (2)
    Former Priest (1)

(*thief archetype trait)
    Treasure:
    Coins: 8g, 4 sp, 5 cp
    encumbrance: 51/60

Gear:
    leather armor
    short sword (hook sword)
    daggers, 2
    Sling
    backpack
    clothes, common
    camp gear, 1 person
    rope, silk, 50'
    bamboo pole, 10'
    scribe's tools
    crowbar
    iron spikes, 3

long Term goal:
    Revenge! I want vengence on the leader of the gang that betrayed me. Try to cut me out of the profits by killing me? We'll see who is the last man standing.

short term goals:
    I'll need a few coins first, and to pay off a debt to "Laughing Crane", but I am coming for ____ (gang leader whose name I haven't yet come up with but would sound really cool.)!
  • edited March 2014
    QUESTIONS:

Do you guys have a plan for how you want to write your posts? First person?

I'm taking a swipe with my sword, then hoping to barrel past him. "Hah, take that!" I scream as I launch myself into the effort

Third person?

Tetsu glared at the monster over his obsidian blade. With a snarl, he called out to it, "Come here, snake. Come and taste my fang."

Is it cool if I address your characters in the IC thread? It's a habit I picked up from Aw and I really like it. Especially in PBP, where we can have OOG discussions here.

I know it's D&D, but do you have any lines or veils for this game?
    PG-13 (there are boobs, talk of sex, some harsh language, violence is indirect)
    R (sex happens, violence is gory, harsh language like crazy)
    Other?
  • I like to write in First Person.
    Addressing me in IC/First Person is fine.

I have a mixed opinion on lines and veils.
    1. Laughing Crane will be a largely PG-13 character.
    2. I don't really mind R-rated content, although I'd like to avoid outright on-screen sex.

I think the difference also sets the tone.
  • Rich, I'm good with you addressing my character and I'll go with first person to keep it consistent.

I'd be happier with pg13 since I'll have this up at work but I won't mind if it occassional goes over.
  • OK, cool. Thanks, guys. PG-13 with American style hyperviolence is the general vein then. Will seek to marry some Lieber with some wuxia.

I shan't post NSFW pics.

I'm hacking Sunless Citadel, will have the first post up soon. Stay tuned, gents!
  • Leiber/Wuxia sounds awesome!

I'd especially be game for the seedier side of Leiber stuff. Fafrhd and Gray Mouser were rapscallions as opposed to heroes.
  • hey Chris, Ryan has had a personal issue today. We're going to take at least a day off from the game to let him deal with it. Feel free to post your response, but I will hold further responses in game until he is ready to return. Thanks for understanding.
  • Oh, man. Sorry to hear this, Ryan. I hope all is okay for you and yours.
  • Chris, I spoke with Ryan. He's going to take the weekend off. We'll talk about resuming the game on Monday!

Enjoy the weekend!
  • Whew. I'm back and ready for Adventure!
  • Laughing Crane is doing his best to impersonate a Knight Errant/Adventurer (Youxia) until he feels like he actually is one. So he seesaws between sounding like a good aristocrat and the pop-culture idea of an Adventurer.
  • Welcome back!
    Sorry guys. I've been swamped today at work. I'll carve out some time shortly for a post.
  • To be clear laughing Crane asked for the following:
    Food and supplies (water/wine skins)
    Horses *
    Lanterns (and oil)
    Lots of rope

* I think it would be hilarious if she provided us a single donkey.
  • You have that equipment. One donkey is fine.
  • Oh man, I missed that Ba Jiao had a hook sword. Awesome!
  • How about them apples!
  • It's been a few weeks, but I think that means I did 1HD of damage with my main attack and 2HD with my fray die (assuming they are 1HD monsters).
  • Agck, I don't have the PDF here at work. I'll look up the table tonight and post it in this thread in the first post so we can all reference it. Pretty sure that's what it means, though. Which means both gobbies are dead. Let's run with that.
  • FYI - the wyrmling is NOT lower HD than you guys, so there is no Fray Die.
  • edited May 2014
    > Ba Jiao, looks like you shorted your roll a bit. You have a +1 Attack bonus, and the goblin's AC was 6, so your d20 attack
    > roll should have been 1d20+7. That would make it a hit. Please roll your damage.

Sorry, is this different than the Fray Dice roll that I made?
  • Yes. Fray is straight up damage, like an extra attack.
  • Holy cats, Laughing Crane clearing a swath of gobbies!
  • It's about time I nailed a roll! Yee-Haw!
  • I gotta say, I'm loving the way this combat works. It feels both Old-school and heroic. (I don't mean to contrast those two exactly, but really, 1st level Old School PCs can't be brave and heroic. They have to be cowardly and clever.)

The Fray die and the HD damage is splendid.

"Six goblins! Holy Hell, we're only first level!"
    Rolls dice.
    "4 down, two to go."

My only quibble is the way damage is mapped. As a matter of principal I detest that extra step. But, if that's my only quibble, I can brush it off.
  • Yeah, I'm glad I threw in some extra goblins in there, it's nice to see how tough you guys are. I look forward to these two hobgoblins coming up. This is sweet.
    Posted By: RyanMy only quibble is the way damage is mapped. As a matter of principal I detest that extra step. But, if that's my only quibble, I can brush it off.
    Yeah, I don't love the extra step. We could re-calibrate dice for damage to generate those numbers in the forum, though, maybe? I'm not sure how, but it's math.
  • Just a reminder (for myself)

Die Roll* Damage**
    ---------- ------------
    1 None
    2 - 5 1 point
    6 - 9 2 point
    10+ 4 point

* Each die is counted individually.
    ** HP of heroes or HD of creatures.

If a hero is engaged against a group of creatures any “overflow” damage from an attack beyond that necessary to down a foe can be delivered to another enemy within reach, provided the same attack roll could have hit them too.
  • I noticed when I was looking up rules for throwing a dagger that hit and damage rolls are modified by strength or dexterity bonus (player's choice) for light and small weapons. Two handed weapons are modified by strength only and bows by only dex modifiers.
  • whoah, Chris, that's awesome!
  • Aw man, I've cheating myself out of +2 damage.