[Scarlet] Sunless Citadel (Chapter One)



  • I follow Ba, sword ready.
  • Ba, you open the door quietly, Laughing Crane and Meepo creep in behind you.

    The 10-foot-wide hall is liberally strewn with sharp caltrops. The northern door is missing, but the room beyond is partially blocked by a roughly mortared 3-foot-high wall, complete with crenelations.


    Since you cleared the alarm, I assume you'll move on up to room 32 quietly.

    You look over the half wall. The layer of filth on the floor, stains on the walls, shabby hides, and much-used fire pit attest to the
    years of use this room has seen at the hands of creatures not overly concerned with hygiene.

    Two goblins are in here. One is nodding off while sitting up against its spear. the other is facing you, huddled over a bit of jerky that it gnaws in its grimy mouth.

    He looks like this:

    What do you do?
  • I motion for Meepo to stop. My eyes dart between the two goblins. I lean in close to Laughing Crane.

    "Take the one eating," I wishper as I point to the one gnawing on the jerrky.

    I take a few steps to the side where the sleepy goblin is and I point at it, indicating I'll take care of that guard.
  • I nod. And and take my beginning stance. Then I make the ritual finger motions to center my chi.

    Then I attack!
  • You guys get surprise on the goblins. Meepo follows your attack, but he's caught up in the first round just trying to get over the wall behind you. Go ahead and roll your attacks. Their AC is 6.
  • Attack vs Jerky Goblin
    Attack Bonus +1, Str +2, Opp AC +6

    #DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

    Fray Die: 1d8 (if they are 1HD or less)
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • Dmg, One-handed sword, Str +2

    #DiceRoller( 1d8+2 )
  • Laughing Crane jumps over the wall first, and impales the goblin eating jerky. In the bit of action, you see an opening, Laughing Crane, and help Ba dispatch the other goblin as well. It was all too easy.

    What do you do in this room?

    (don't have map here at work, will fill in more tonight)
  • I want to make sure we don't have more goblins on the way. Then search the room.
  • There are other goblins down the hall, you can hear them. They're talking loudly in their brutish tongue, telling some bawdy joke. There is snickering and even a guffaw, followed by a slap, like the tale teller got a slap on the back or something.

    You find twelve coppers on the pair of goblins, that's it. They were the first wave, runts, really. No armor, crap weapons, the peons of this group.

    You slowly open the door to the south to see it leads further south and opens up to the right...


    Dozens of blunted and broken javelins lie on the cracked cobblestone floor, though a few actually protrude from three crudely sewn human-sized targets hung along the center of the south wall. The northern third of the room is separated from the south by a crudely mortared and crenelated half-wall. A permanent camp of sorts lies north of the wall, complete with a fire ring and several small iron cook pots.

    The goblins haven't noticed you, but there four of them, mostly obscured behind that half-wall. They will most likely see or hear you approach, and it's far enough that you'll enter combat once they do. You can try to sneak, the difficulty is average (9) and both of you will need to make it. (Meepo will follow Ba's result, so if he makes it, so does Meepo).

    What do you do?
  • Crouched low and pressed against the wall, I reach into my shirt and instincitive turn the beads on my wooden mala.

    "We will need to be quick so there are no screams," I whisper to my companions as we peer around the corner at the goblins. "With a little luck we can make quick work of these without having the rest of the goblins beyond those doors alerted to our presence. "

    I release the mala and draw forth my hook sword and dagger.
  • Moving Silently
    #DiceRoller( 2d8+4 )
  • I nod and move forward.
  • Moving silently

    #DiceRoller( 2d8+1 )
  • Nice work, you two! You creep past broken javelins and spears up to the half-wall. Meepo snuck behind you, Ba. He's pretty quiet. With some tips, he could be a decent enough sneak-thief. Of course, he'll probably stab you in the back over that dragon. But for now, enemy of my enemy and all that.

    Sure enough, four goblins are here. One is tending the cooking pots, hunched down facing you. Another is drinking from a nice-looking silver flask and cutting up with another, looks like they're sharing it. The fourth is binding a crude javelin together with some leather straps.

    Yet again, you have surprise on them, you sneaky so and so's. What do you do?
  • I indicate the javelin repairer and the cook then point to myself.

    Then I leap into the room. Brave Laughing Crane. I can almost hear the song writers and storytellers now.
  • Attack vs Cook and Javelin
    Attack Bonus +1, Str +2, Opp AC +6

    #DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

    Fray Die: 1d8 (if they are 1HD or less)
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • I leap and do a Whilrwind Cut attack, but the cook happens to get his ladle up just in time to deflect my initial cut. Instead of reversing, I simply follow the momentum through and whip around another time, slicing his grubby torso in twain.
  • Attack (attack bonus+str bonus+ac):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+6 )

    Fray Dice:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • I jump the crude half wall landing next to the goblins sharing a drink from the silver cup. I kick the current cup holder off his stool and then slice at him with my hook sword before turning to face his companion.
  • After having seen two of their buddies chopped down right in front of them and now being outnumbered, I'm going to check morale first.

    #DiceRoller( 2d6 )
    (target for goblins is 7)
  • The javelin goblin scampers past you, Laughing Crane, narrowly ducking one of your swipes. However, Meepo tackles him, grabbing onto a leg and holding on tight. Then, he bites the goblins leg, which gets the goblin yelling in pain. The flask-sharing goblin takes off towards the west door, throwing it open and trying desperately to run through the hallway to another door. Inside the room the flask-sharing goblin entered, there are only barrels, boxes and crates, no goblins.


    What do you do?
  • I take after the run away goblin. I'll try to use my sword as a crook to ensnare the goblin and trip him up.
  • Ba, let's call that a simple check to trip the goblin, since you're not trying to kill him. If you decide to use the Fray die after the attempt (say, if you blow the roll), go ahead.
  • Tripping (+ dex modifier)
    #DiceRoller( 2d8+2 )

    In case this is needed:
    Attack (attack bonus+str bonus+ac):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+6 )

    Fray Dice:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • I start after Ba and the escaping Goblin. Once I see he has the situation under control, I want to examine the crates, boxes, and barrels.
  • Ba, you're able to take the fleeing goblin down with your hook sword, knocking him senseless.

    What do you do with the goblin fighting Meepo? Let them sort it out, kill the goblin (three against one, not a die roll) or something else?

    Laughing Crane, assuming things have calmed down, you can carefully look through the barrels, boxes and crates.

    This chamber is used to store brackish water, putrid jerky, and three barrels of what, written in goblin, is "elf pudding". Also, you're able to find five pints of oil.
  • I'll go assist Meepo with dispatching the last goblin.
  • That's not a problem, Ba. You help Meepo kill the goblin, and he rises up from the corpse to duck his head, "Many thanks. It is good that we do this to these evil creatures."
  • "You both okay? If so, let's forge on. Meepo, where to?"
Sign In or Register to comment.