[Scarlet] Sunless Citadel (Chapter One)

• With Laughing Crane and Meepo's help, you're able to lash the bag around the wyrmling's head. Meepo's left paw is still frostbitten, useless for now, but he's weeping tears of joy, "We did it. You humies helped Meepo. Meepo can go home again!"

Laughing Crane, this quick combat may have attracted some attention. You hear movement outside, some creatures talking back and forth in a sharp, guttural tongue.

Ba, you're got the wyrmling in a bag. It is wide awake, struggling and not at all happy. You're going to have to hold onto the bag to keep it from escaping, Meepo only has one good hand right now. Or, you can try to beat it senseless.

What do you do?
  • edited May 2014
    I back behind Laughing Crane. Calcryx is squirming to get free but I hold fast to him so that he cannot get loose.

"Can you cut us a path back to Meepo's side?" I inquire of Laughing Crane.
  • "I can try! Meepo, back the way we came?"

I want to tip some lantern oil on the table, push it into the doorway towards the voice and set it alight. I am hoping to do this without extinguishing the lantern.
  • Meepo nods, "Yes, yes!"

Laughing Crane, so we're on the same page. The door where you hear voices is the one to the south, where you came from. Do you want to light the table, block the door to the south and try the east door out of this room?

Also, as you move the table, you make a little discovery!

The wyrmling has scoured the trophy room and gathered all items of possible worth into a little nest it made for itself under one wooden table. The valuables include one dragon-shaped, jade-carved figurine worth 20 gp, a crystal goblet worth 5 gp, and twenty-four pieces of fine silverware each worth 1 gp.
  • "Whoa, Meeps, change of plans."

Let's go for the other door. I shove the table in front of the south door and light it. Then I sweep up the treasures into my bag and head toward the east door.
  • I follow Laughing Crane to the east door!
  • The east door is locked, but from this side. It seems the wyrmling wasn't strong enough to open it. You pull it open and rush into the long hall of room 35. As you take a few steps in, the north door (to room 36) opens, and four goblins come out of there.

(at a glance at the room they're coming from, you see and hear:
    The stench, garbage, rotted carrion, and half-eaten legs of strange animals speak of the years of use by unsanitary tenants. Tattered hides form six unstable hammocks around a much-used fire pit. Battered cooking equipment lies mixed indiscriminately with broken or worn arms and armor.)

They spot you, and yell something in their harsh language. Meepo calls out in alarm, "Bandits! These ones raid! They tough!"

They're going to try and block your way, then press you back into Room 37.

What do you do?
  • I size up the goblins at the northern door. The others we dispatched quite readily. Do these seem like tougher opponents? I heft Calcryx to ensure a good grip on the young dragon.

"Do you need a hand with these vermin, laughing Crane?" with a little unintentional concern showing in my voice.
  • Meepo sidles up to you, Ba, "Meepo can take the dragon, let humans fight bandits! Meepo protect dragon!"
  • "Okay, Meepo."

I push the wyrm into Meepo's arms then draw out my hook sword. I take a step to stand next to Laughing Crane.
  • Meepo snags the dragon, holding on for all he's worth.

Laughing Crane, those goblins are closing in, armed with short swords and bad attitudes. They're spreading out, trying to corral you three back to the trophy room.

What do you do?
  • "For Glory!"

A quick glance at Ba and I think I recognize his stance. I'll use Angry Ox Technique to focus my attack on multiple opponents while not interfering with his attacks.

I set down the lantern and attack.
  • You've got initiative. These four goblins have AC 6 and they are 1 HD, so fray die will be needed.

Go ahead and make your attacks.
  • I'm moving along the wall, using G1 to keep G2 from having a direct line on me, meanwhile, preparing to execute the Sweeping Horns of the Angry Ox Technique

Attack Bonus +1, Str +2, Opp AC +6

#DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

#DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • I sweep my jian at the first goblin and use the momentum to twist past him. He sees me coming and anticipates my attack. My sword is not positioned to meet this partner. But my shield is ready to bash his goblin head.
    He goes down so quickly that I am able to skewer the missed goblin without repositioning

(Fray die does 2 HD of dmg, so that takes out G2 and rolls over to G1, I believe).
  • I rush toward the goblin in front of me. My intention is to go low at the last second and slash at his legs trying to use my hook sword to cut into his knees & sweep his feet out from under him.

Attack (attack bonus+str bonus+ac):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+5 )

Fray Dice:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )
  • Ba Jiao, looks like you shorted your roll a bit. You have a +1 Attack bonus, and the goblin's AC was 6, so your d20 attack roll should have been 1d20+7. That would make it a hit. Please roll your damage.

Laughing Crane dispatches two goblins quickly while Ba strikes and hits his first target (damage pending). Ba, you follow through to take out the last goblin.
  • edited May 2014
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )

That last goblin dodges your attack, Ba, then tries to skewer you in the ribs.
  • Goblin vs. Ba:
    AC 5 + 1 Attack Bonus
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+6 )
  • Ba, you bring up your sword just in time to block his stab.

Alright, your guys' turn. Just one goblin in front of you, but if you don't get a move on, others may be going around the long way.
  • I roll to my left as the goblin lunges at me with his rusted and bent sword. My hook sword meets his blade. I can feel his hot rancid breath on my face. I twist my arm to try to entangle his sword with mine and with my free hand draw out my dagger.
  • Attack (attack bonus+str bonus+ac):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+6 )
  • Fray:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )

#DiceRoller( 1d4 )
  • I pick up the lantern and get a move on! Can we take the door on the South wall and circle back around our pursuers?
    "Meepo! That door?"
  • Ba, the goblin's sword clatters to the ground seconds after you shove the dagger into its left eye. It makes a sound like "Urk!" before it quivers and falls to the ground, stone dead.

You both pick up the pace to the South door, hearing the hoots of goblin war cries. They outnumber you badly, but you've got a lead on them.

You can try to defend the door, hop over the half-wall in room 33, or just run for the Kobold area with the dragon. But then, you still don't have proof of those two "adventurers" you came here for.

What do you do?
  • I don't entirely trust the kobolds but that sounds like a safer option than fighting every goblin. I look to Laughing Crane. Then again, Laughing Crane has a weird thing about wanting to purposefully do daring deeds.

"This doorway might make for a good bottleneck. We could deal with the goblins, search through their lair for the scions, and then..." I glance towards Meepo and the young dragon.
  • Meepo yells as he catches up you both, "Meepo takes the dragon back, quick quick! Meepo tell them you all helped!" He's going to keep going unless you physically stop him.
  • "Let him go and follow me!"

I hop over the low wall, kicking javelins and the pots, making a racket.

I want to Thermopylae these goblins at the narrow short hallway between 33 and 32.
  • I'd like to see you guys beat the goblins to that point. Let's see a running check here (off Dex). Difficulty is 9. Beat it and I'll give you a +2 AC bonus for the first three rounds.

Then we get to hacking.