[Scarlet] Sunless Citadel (Chapter One)

123457

Comments

  • Dex Check
    #DiceRoller( 2d8+1)
  • Dex Check
    #DiceRoller( 2d8+2 )
  • You both race through the south door and see the goblins shoving over the door to your right. Meepo scampers up the half wall ahead of you, clutching to the wyrmling and howling an alarm of some kind, hopefully alerting his kobold tribe?

    Ba, you leap over the half wall gracefully, and Laughing Crane, you manage to leap up, put a foot on the top of the half wall and push off to leap forward.

    A pair of goblins heave javelins at you just before you're able to turn the corner and set up a reasonable defense.
  • Goblin 1 attack (vs. Ba's AC +1 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+6 )

    Goblin 2 attack (vs. LC's AC +1 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+6 )
  • Laughing Crane, your leap puts you inches away from the javelin hurled by a goblin wearing a toothy necklace. It whistles past your head just barely, lands in the wall beside you, then clatters to the ground.

    Ba, the javelin hurled by a pudgy goblin who just barely made the throw catches you in the right thigh.
    Damage: #DiceRoller( 1d8 )

    You're able to get around the corner now to make your attacks against the first wave o goblins. There are a half dozen of them, followed by some bigger cousins who will arrive shortly. All 6 goblins are AC 6, 1HD
  • Ba, you take 1 hit point of damage from that javelin in your thigh.
  • Setting up the Crashing Wave defense.

    Attack
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

    Fray
    #dice ( 1d8 )
  • Fray
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • Dmg roll
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • As the green uglies charge in, raging eyes and slavering mouths, I execute a nearly perfect Crashing Wave defense. It is a risky move against strong fighters, but these goblins have obviously never studied proper fighting techniques of the ancient masters.

    The first two round the corner and fall to my powerful stroke and the next two fall to my follow-up swing.

    "Ba! It sounds like we need to beat a hasty retreat!"
  • Attack (attack bonus+str bonus+ac):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+6 )

    Fray:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )

    Damage:
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • edited June 2014
    "So soon?" I jokingly ask as I struggle for a second to free my hook sword from a now dead goblin's ribcage.

    The other goblin is uncomfortably close. I hope my bravado will hide my panic from Laughing Crane.
  • edited June 2014
    The last goblin of the first wave comes dashing up at you, Ba, its wickedly jagged little short sword held high.

    Behind him, a big, burly hobgoblin pulls out a black bow and nocks an arrow and starts to take aim on you, Laughing Crane (you can use your shield here, if you choose), and his buddy comes rushing forward with a one-and a half handed broadsword at Laughing Crane.
  • Goblin attack (vs. Ba's AC +1 for attack bonus):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+6 )

    Hobgoblin attack (vs. LC AC +2 for attack bonus)
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+7 )
  • Damage to Ba from Goblin:
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )

    Damage to LC from Hobgoblin:
    #DiceRoller( 1d10 )
  • (you both take two hit points of damage)

    There are no other goblins behind these three you're facing now. Meepo is turning the corner and running out of the room.

    What do you do?
  • I try to sidestep as the goblin comes running at me but the swipe of his sword bites deep into my left arm.

    "May the darkness take you!" I cry out in pain. There is no longer any playfullness in my voice.

    I try to back up into room 31, slashing at this goblin as I retreat.
  • edited June 2014
    Ha! I take the Sun/Moon stance and attack these three. I am spinning and dodging, bashing with my shield and slashing with my sword!

    I want to focus my main attention on the hobgoblins.
  • I'm down to 1 hp!

    Attack ( maye a penalty for fighting as I retreat?):
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+7 )

    Fray:
    #DiceRoller( 1d6 )

    Damage:
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • Attack (assuming the hobbies have the same AC)
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+9 )

    Fray
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )

    Damage:
    #DiceRoller( 1d8 )
  • (no penalty for fighting while retreating, I'm assuming you move while fighting)

    Ba, you dispatch the last goblin with a backswing, swatting him upside his green head.

    Laughing Crane, you duck a blow from the hobgoblin's broadsword, then follow it through with a slice across his legs, cutting his Achilles Tendon and half of his left calf. He falls screaming in pain.

    The hobgoblin with the bow starts moving back and away. He takes one cowardly shot at you, Laughing Crane, for killing his buddy.
  • Hobgoblin bow shot:
    #DiceRoller( 1d20+7 )
  • The arrow sails high, and you swat it with your shield. The hobgoblin retreats. You can pursue him if you wish, or let him go. There are no other attackers behind that hobgoblin.

    Meepo is nearly in the kobold section of the citadel now. Ba looks hurt. You're out of combat for now.

    What do you do?
  • "Let it go, Laughing Crane." I am exhausted and hurt. The rush of combat has washed over me.

    "We should try to keep pace with Meepo, yes? I don't know that I trust the kobolds to uphold their deal once they get their dragon back."

    I use my dagger to cut a strip off my shirt to bandage my hand. I'll need to wash it once we get a minute to rest, but that isn't now.
  • "Wise words Ba. Let's live to fight another day."
  • Where are you two headed, then? You can head towards the kobold area to speak with their leader, you can even exit the citadel, if you wish to go back the way you came in.
  • I also take a moment to bind my wounds.
    "So, Master Ba, we can go back to the Kobolds or we can make a full withdrawal to rest and come back tomorrow. I don't really trust the kobolds either and frankly I was hoping to find some evidence that the children had been taken by the goblins. That kobold leader didn't seem like she would offer us much more help."

    [How long does it feel like we've been in the citadel?]
  • You've been in the Citadel for several hours.
  • I grimmace in pain as I finish tending to my wounds. My breathing has finally slowed down to normal.

    "Yes. Let us leave this place to encamp before we venture back into the kobolds' lair."

    I lean against the wall and use the sash around my wait to mop the sweat from my face.

    "I am not sure I would be much use should we cross swords with them."
  • [Every hero can take a few minutes after battle or another injury to
    bandage their wounds and catch their breath. At these times the hero
    can heal up to 2 hit points of damage inflicted in their most recent
    fray or misadventure. SH page 20]

    "Sounds like a good idea."
Sign In or Register to comment.